Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

Default Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

Windows relevance at the end.

Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)

And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**

And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
and that works fine too.)

So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.

It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.

**In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
recorded so they might play in the order recorded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 3:28:21 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I'm not surprised. I've got a bunch of movies on a USB drive,
which my Sony DVD player recognizes. They're listed in filename
order and when one ends the next one in alphabetical order starts
automatically. Given our penchant for movies with guns and
explosions and animated kids' films, it can make for a strange
marathon if we start a movie while puttering around the house.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Can you use some bulk rename utility to number then so the filenames
have a 3 digit # in front of the real file name? Bulk Rename Utility
is one that comes to mind.

I do that a lot, as I like my mp3's I lull myself to bed with to be in a
certain order too.

Al
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 3:28:21 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I'm not surprised. I've got a bunch of movies on a USB drive,
which my Sony DVD player recognizes. They're listed in filename
order and when one ends the next one in alphabetical order starts
automatically. Given our penchant for movies with guns and
explosions and animated kids' films, it can make for a strange
marathon if we start a movie while puttering around the house.

I normally listen to these podcasts when puttering
around or when long distance driving etc.
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/rn-podcasting/

Works very well on the iphone, they are downloaded automatically
and they play in date sequence when you get it to play from one
place in the series and keeps track of what you have heard before.

But have just got a google home mini for the much louder
speaker and a decent base around the house. Sounds great
but useless to tell it which particular podcast to play apart from
the latest and it doesnt keep track of what you have played before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 May 2019 05:57:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I normally listen to these podcasts when puttering

Nobody gives a ****, you abnormal senile pest!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 15 May 2019 15:50:27 -0400, Big Al
wrote:

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

That would work. Is there any problem renaming every file on a flash
drive? Something about not being able to write to the drive too many
times?

Bigger question: Is it going to read the files in the order they are on
the drive? I think the answer must be yes.

Not like the car does and use alphabetical or some other order.

( BTW, the car displays the song number, and it will say first #651 for
example, then 652 next, then 653, even though they're by the same artist
and I know they were not recorded one after the other. )

I installed program, dl'd the manual but the flash drive is in the car
so I'll actually do this later. Thanks. Great idea.

I do that a lot, as I like my mp3's I lull myself to bed with to be in a
certain order too.

In the car I don't want the songs to lull me to sleep, but whatever
works for you.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2019 22:28:13 +0300, micky
wrote:

[...]

I am not sure I follow all of this convoluted post but you can \make a
play list most players will honor with that DOS command
DIR *.MP3 /b /u playlist.m3u
That will give you a play list of all mp3 files (m3u file) in the
current directory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

The easiest way to make play lists if you don't want some order DOS
will give you, use Winamp. You can drag and drop songs up and down the
list and save the play list you create once you get it the way you
like it.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

wrote:

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Thank God new to me car I just bought has fancy lcd screen type
interface. I finally have a car stereo plays mp3 directly from a cd and
includes usb and aux inputs as well. Only issue is you have to copy mp3
and picture files off the usb onto it's internal 30Gb hard drive and it
doesn't seem able to just play them directly off the usb device. Other
than takes times to copy not any real issue. Play does Random ... yea
haw!!! but looking at them they are in alphabetical order.

It;s a Chrylser 300 RB"x" style stereo btw.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

wrote:

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

You might want to do Properties on the files and see if they have
metadata recorded in them. Or look at the filenames for hints
as to what additional information might be present they could
use for ordering purposes.

If this was my collection, I'd probably edit it in Audacity and
break it into proper sections. But that would be a lot of work.
So each section can play independently (shuffled).

A recording coming over the air shouldn't have metadata (i.e. if
you were recording audio as samples). But the recording program
could be using some method to stamp them after reception (look
them up on an InternetDB somehow and stamp them).

This is a random MP3 I found on my disk drive, selected because
the way it was acquired made it likely to have metadata. This
didn't come in "hot" via streaming or anything. The file was
downloaded from the station site that would normally be
streaming it from their web page. You can see there is "stuff"
inside this file, that a digital player might latch onto for
genre or something. In this case the genre is "podcast".

https://i.postimg.cc/fW9mk69n/mp3-visible-metadata.gif

And I'm only recommending looking for that, if it isn't
apparent what field it is sorting on.

Since the metadata in that file is inside the file, it
will survive transfer to a USB stick and FAT32 and so on.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

But will the Jazz/Fit playthe list?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Dunno but M3U is the standard play list file and everything I use will
play them. (hand held players, my phone, car players and even my old
DOS player from the 20th century)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Easiest playlist maker (apart from Winamp) is Mp3Tag. Which is
much faster if you are editing tags on multiple files or exporting IDs
to filenames (or vice-versa).

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Quite small (3.5Mb) freeware.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

At one point I was using a cheap mp3 player that did NO sorting: the
folder playback choices were "random" or "unsorted". As a quick
workaround, I used a program to sort the FAT32 file table itself and
place the files in my preferred order. It sounds like you have the
opposite problem this time around, but given your past history that
program might be a good tool to add to your arsenal.
https://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It is pretty hard to beat a 1 line DOS command. I usually drag and
drop into the playlist with note pad to add songs.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

On Wed, 15 May 2019 19:34:55 -0300, pjp
wrote:

Thank God new to me car I just bought has fancy lcd screen type
interface. I finally have a car stereo plays mp3 directly from a cd and
includes usb and aux inputs as well. Only issue is you have to copy mp3
and picture files off the usb onto it's internal 30Gb hard drive and it
doesn't seem able to just play them directly off the usb device. Other
than takes times to copy not any real issue. Play does Random ... yea
haw!!! but looking at them they are in alphabetical order.

My KIA Sorento only took 8-1/2 HOURS to load my 8100 songs from the
USB.

I add a character (~) to the end of song titles of songs I really
like, and add it twice (~~) to indicate my "top 60" favorites. Since
it is the last character in the field, it does not affect sorting.
After a recent KIA recall software upgrade (apparently unrelated to
the radio at all), the "random" order setting insisted on playing only
those from the Top 60, although those were played in random order. I
had to rename the files on the USB stick to change ~~ to just ~ on
those files, and then reload them all again to get it to work
properly. It reloads all instead of just changed or new files(another
8.5 hours).

Are they using Windows-10 as a software base grin?

-dan z-

--
Someone who thinks logically provides
a nice contrast to the real world.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2019 23:54:31 -0400, wrote:

I am not sure I follow all of this convoluted post but you can \make a
play list most players will honor with that DOS command
DIR *.MP3 /b /u playlist.m3u
That will give you a play list of all mp3 files (m3u file) in the
current directory.

Easiest playlist maker (apart from Winamp) is Mp3Tag. Which is
much faster if you are editing tags on multiple files or exporting IDs
to filenames (or vice-versa).

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Quite small (3.5Mb) freeware.
[]'s

It is pretty hard to beat a 1 line DOS command. I usually drag and
drop into the playlist with note pad to add songs.

I'm a command-line guy myself. But some things are better done
with GUI apps (I hate the word "apps", why do I use it?).
Mp3tag is malware-free. It opens a html page at startup the
first time it's run, but it's on localhost (in the program's folder).
Just switch off your net if it worries you.
ImgBurn, Winamp, MP3Tag, etc functions can all be done from
the command line with DOS | DOS programs, but why bother?

I wrote a GUI to youtube-dl and wget. I was tired of typing in
"youtube-dl -f18 blahblahblah" Or wget -c --referer= https://blabla
https://e.e.e/something.zip
A cut and paste is so much faster. And my fingers hurt.
Doctors have terrible handwriting because they all have RSI. Well, my
generation does. Younger guys probably dictate all their patient's
secrets into Alexa and feel good about it.
[]'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2019 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Just don't play them while in reverse or you'll miss 15 to 20 seconds of
important lyrics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 May 2019 11:46:04 -0400, Meanie wrote:

[...]

The MP3 player in my wife's car stops the playback while the computer
is taken over by the backup beeper function and it starts up where you
left off when you go forward again. Same when the phone hijacks it.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In article , lcgh-
says...

wrote:

Thank God new to me car I just bought has fancy lcd screen type
interface. I finally have a car stereo plays mp3 directly from a cd and
includes usb and aux inputs as well. Only issue is you have to copy mp3
and picture files off the usb onto it's internal 30Gb hard drive and it
doesn't seem able to just play them directly off the usb device. Other
than takes times to copy not any real issue. Play does Random ... yea
haw!!! but looking at them they are in alphabetical order.

My KIA Sorento only took 8-1/2 HOURS to load my 8100 songs from the
USB.

Well this Chrylser only took approx 2 hours for 2,200 songs so seems
about same. Therefore I suspect more like I assume both are using USB
1.x and not even USB 2.x.

Just a bit of a drag can't simply play them directly from a flashdrive.
If I want to do that I'd need to use some external player and feed that
into the stereo's aux input. I notice it will also copy cds to the hard
disk. I suspect they'd be stored similar to a wav file and that would
chew up space fast on the small hard disk. I assume it would not do any
automatic compression of any sort so instead of a 5Mb mp3 file you'd end
up with a 50Mb wav file (or similar format). I can live with any slight
quality loss mp4's exibit, at almost 70 and one ear noticably different
in freguency range than the other it's a moot issue.

And just to add, stereo also will display pics but not videos, go
figure.

I add a character (~) to the end of song titles of songs I really
like, and add it twice (~~) to indicate my "top 60" favorites. Since
it is the last character in the field, it does not affect sorting.
After a recent KIA recall software upgrade (apparently unrelated to
the radio at all), the "random" order setting insisted on playing only
those from the Top 60, although those were played in random order. I
had to rename the files on the USB stick to change ~~ to just ~ on
those files, and then reload them all again to get it to work
properly. It reloads all instead of just changed or new files(another
8.5 hours).

Are they using Windows-10 as a software base grin?

-dan z-

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In alt.windows7.general, on Wed, 15 May 2019 22:28:13 +0300, micky
wrote:

It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.

Just checked and /u gives sUmmary information.

In TCC/Le and Take Command (command enhancers. First one free, both more
powerful than DOS):

Display order is controlled by /o and unsorted is /o:u

It might be the same in DOS, but I find little reason to use straight
DOS anymore, unless I'm using someone else's computer.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

wrote:

It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.

Just checked and /u gives sUmmary information.

In TCC/Le and Take Command (command enhancers. First one free, both more
powerful than DOS):

Display order is controlled by /o and unsorted is /o:u

It might be the same in DOS, but I find little reason to use straight
DOS anymore, unless I'm using someone else's computer.

I've just tried - the "DOS" in my system ("ver" returns "Microsoft
Windows [Version 6.1.7601]") doesn't mention u in the help returned by
dir /?, and if I enter dir /o:u, says

Parameter format not correct - "u".

JPG
--

Petitions are still unfair. [Still need over 9000 signatures by tomorrow )-:!]
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 www.255soft.uk #fairpetitions

Society has the right to punish wrongdoing; it doesn't have the right to make
punishment a form of entertainment. This is where things have gone wrong:
humiliating other people has become both a blood sport and a narcotic.
- Joe Queenan, RT 2015/6/27-7/3
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

[snip]

+1 on DriveSort - I remember having a little experimentation to find
which type of sort worked best. Very much needed in Audio book MP3s
where the right order is essential.. C+

I seem to have had a lot of encounters with the helpful idiot, some
device that insists on messing up directories that are already in order
(by alphabetizing).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Religion is no more the parent of morality than an incubator is the
mother of a chicken." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading
And Other Essays_]
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 18 May 2019 14:45:57 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for checking that out. That's why I like TCC/Le so much.

I think I bought Norton Utilities about 25 years ago and it came with
Norton DOS, which was their name for 4DOS which was the predecessor for
Take Command and TCC/Le. The second one is free and once installed
requires no maintenance (Well, maybe I had to fiddle to get the window
to fill the screen, but that would have been true of regular DOS also.)

Take Command has even more features, I guess, but I can't imagine what
else I could use. TCC/le already has more than I can remember.

I think it's interesting that unsorted gets so little attention. I
would think that would be the standard format and you'd have to do
something to get things sorted.

In this case with the flashdrive, since the songs were written to the
flashdrive in the order they were recorded to the HDD blank drive,
unsorted and sorted by ascending date/time are the same thing, but the
car radios didn't have a way to sort by date or time. And when there
were over 600 songs, it seems like a bit of work for the radio to sort
things alphabetically, but that's what all but one of the radios did.

OTOH, my $16 gizmo that plugs into the cigarette lighter and lets me
plug in a flashdrive and transmits on FM to the car radio has no trouble
playing the songs in the order they are stored on the flashdrive.

Petitions are still unfair. [Still need over 9000 signatures by tomorrow )-:!]
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 www.255soft.uk #fairpetitions

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

wrote:

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

BRU worked great, Big Al. It's impressive. Only took 4 or 5 seconds
to rename 600 files on the flashdrive, and the flashdrive played
perfectly afterwards.

I also had an earlier section I didn't like anymore and Bulk Rename
Utility has a way to change extensions, so I changed all the .mp3's to
..zp3.

He seems to have thought of everything.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In message , micky
writes:
In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 18 May 2019 14:45:57 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" wrote:

In message , micky
writes:

[]
Display order is controlled by /o and unsorted is /o:u

It might be the same in DOS, but I find little reason to use straight
DOS anymore, unless I'm using someone else's computer.

I've just tried - the "DOS" in my system ("ver" returns "Microsoft
Windows [Version 6.1.7601]") doesn't mention u in the help returned by
dir /?, and if I enter dir /o:u, says

Parameter format not correct - "u".

JPG
--

Thanks for checking that out. That's why I like TCC/Le so much.

You're welcome.

I think I bought Norton Utilities about 25 years ago and it came with
Norton DOS, which was their name for 4DOS which was the predecessor for
Take Command and TCC/Le. The second one is free and once installed
requires no maintenance (Well, maybe I had to fiddle to get the window
to fill the screen, but that would have been true of regular DOS also.)

Any chance of a URL? Sounds potentially useful. (Though I'd probably
forget I had it after a while!)

Take Command has even more features, I guess, but I can't imagine what
else I could use. TCC/le already has more than I can remember.

I think it's interesting that unsorted gets so little attention. I
would think that would be the standard format and you'd have to do
something to get things sorted.

I don't know what "DOS" dir actually does if you don't give it the /o:
parameter at all.
[]
OTOH, my $16 gizmo that plugs into the cigarette lighter and lets me
plug in a flashdrive and transmits on FM to the car radio has no trouble
playing the songs in the order they are stored on the flashdrive.

(Not relevant, but it does amaze me how electronics has progressed. I
already had something to play MP3s [my SatNav/GPS], which I played
through a cassette adapter; when I had to change car, and got one that
didn't have a cassette slot, I was amazed to be able to get a fully
synthesized stereo FM transmitter gizmo for 3 pounds 20 [probably $3 in
US] - even with a rechargeable battery and charging circuitry built in.
[Though my faith was somewhat restored when I found it has the channels
transposed {which doesn't really bother me}.])

Petitions are still unfair. [Still need over 9000 signatures by tomorrow )-:!]
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 www.255soft.uk #fairpetitions

Oops - I had been deleting that for non-UK 'groups. The petition only
got 330 signatures in the six months anyway )-: [first threshold is
10,000 where you get a government reply (100,000 gets you a debate in
parliament)].
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The losses on both sides at Borodino [1812], 70 miles from Moscow, are the
equivalent of a jumbo jet crashing into an area of six square miles every five
minutes for the whole ten hours of the battle, killing or wounding everyone on
board. - Andrew Roberts on Napoleon, RT 2015/6/13-19
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 24 May 2019 21:25:42 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" wrote:

In message , micky
writes:
In rec.autos.tech, on Sat, 18 May 2019 14:45:57 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" wrote:

In message , micky
writes:

[]
[...]

https://jpsoft.com/products/tcc-le.html
https://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html TCC/Le is the free
one.

Take Command has even more features, I guess, but I can't imagine what
else I could use. TCC/le already has more than I can remember.

I think it's interesting that unsorted gets so little attention. I
would think that would be the standard format and you'd have to do
something to get things sorted.

I don't know what "DOS" dir actually does if you don't give it the /o:
parameter at all.

Alphabetical by file name.

[]
OTOH, my $16 gizmo that plugs into the cigarette lighter and lets me
plug in a flashdrive and transmits on FM to the car radio has no trouble
playing the songs in the order they are stored on the flashdrive.

I left something out. When watching the screen with RadioMaximus, you
can see that the caption, the song title, changes a little before the
song is over, and at least with the music stations I listen to (100FM
and 181FM), the songs are stored individually, but the first 2 or 3
seconds of each song is at the end of one file, and the next file starts
2 or 3 seconds into the song.

Well, with the $16 gizmo, I can't hear the transition at all, even when
I try, and I tried several times (and I didn't try 100's of times, but
would have noticed anyhow). It goes straight from one file to the next.
(If the songs didn't span files you'd expect a moment of silence between
them, but here there is no silence. It sounds perfect.)

But with every car radio, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, there was a
moment, a full second, of silence or maybe not even silence, but a tiny
thud or click, 2 or 3 seconds into every song.

Cheap is sometimes better.

I can't try it with my 2005 Toyota becaus it has no USB input (other
than one or another gizmo.)

(Not relevant, but it does amaze me how electronics has progressed. I
already had something to play MP3s [my SatNav/GPS], which I played
through a cassette adapter; when I had to change car, and got one that
didn't have a cassette slot, I was amazed to be able to get a fully
synthesized stereo FM transmitter gizmo for 3 pounds 20 [probably $3 in
US] - even with a rechargeable battery and charging circuitry built in.
[Though my faith was somewhat restored when I found it has the channels
transposed {which doesn't really bother me}.])

You're right.

Petitions are still unfair. [Still need over 9000 signatures by tomorrow )-:!]
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 www.255soft.uk #fairpetitions

Oops - I had been deleting that for non-UK 'groups. The petition only
got 330 signatures in the six months anyway )-: [first threshold is
10,000 where you get a government reply (100,000 gets you a debate in
parliament)].

Wow.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In message , micky
writes:
In rec.autos.tech, on Fri, 24 May 2019 21:25:42 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" wrote:

[]
You're welcome.

I think I bought Norton Utilities about 25 years ago and it came with
Norton DOS, which was their name for 4DOS which was the predecessor for
Take Command and TCC/Le. The second one is free and once installed
requires no maintenance (Well, maybe I had to fiddle to get the window
to fill the screen, but that would have been true of regular DOS also.)

Any chance of a URL? Sounds potentially useful. (Though I'd probably
forget I had it after a while!)

https://jpsoft.com/products/tcc-le.html
https://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html TCC/Le is the free
one.

Thanks for those. (I wondered why you gave two until I looked at the
first one: in my browser at least, the first one - that tells me about
it - almost uniquely, has no link to the download one!)
[]
But with every car radio, Mazda, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, there was a
moment, a full second, of silence or maybe not even silence, but a tiny
thud or click, 2 or 3 seconds into every song.

When I play mp3s on my SatNav, it plays a little blip at the start of
any file, that comes from a few seconds into the file.

Cheap is sometimes better.

I've often found that!
[]
Oops - I had been deleting that for non-UK 'groups. The petition only
got 330 signatures in the six months anyway )-: [first threshold is
10,000 where you get a government reply (100,000 gets you a debate in
parliament)].

Wow.

It's not a bad system: tends to get misused as a measure of public
opinion (which it isn't - it only counts supporters for any petition,
not those against [that's what my petition was about]), but at least it
gives _some_ input for the populace. (The "debate" at 100k is _not_
necessarily - usually isn't - in the main chamber as seen on TV; it's
usually in a committee room somewhere. [And usually a better debate for
that.])
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Squawk Pieces of eight!
Squawk Pieces of eight!
Squawk Pieces of nine!
SYSTEM HALTED: parroty error!
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

I think I bought Norton Utilities about 25 years ago and it came with
Norton DOS, which was their name for 4DOS which was the predecessor for
Take Command and TCC/Le. The second one is free and once installed
requires no maintenance (Well, maybe I had to fiddle to get the window
to fill the screen, but that would have been true of regular DOS also.)

Any chance of a URL? Sounds potentially useful. (Though I'd probably
forget I had it after a while!)

https://jpsoft.com/products/tcc-le.html
https://jpsoft.com/all-downloads/downloads.html TCC/Le is the free
one.

Thanks for those. (I wondered why you gave two until I looked at the
first one: in my browser at least, the first one - that tells me about
it - almost uniquely, has no link to the download one!)

yes it does.

there are two download links, a green button and an orange button, for
32 & 64 bit versions, and appear at the top *and* the bottom of the
page. it's impossible to miss.

there is also a separate download link at the top right of the page,
which goes to the second link listed above for all of their products.
that link is also a drop-down menu to directly download the specific
product.