Old May 16th 19, 12:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

On Wed, 15 May 2019 18:11:05 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 15 May 2019 15:50:27 -0400, Big Al wrote:

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
Windows relevance at the end.

Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)

And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**

And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
and that works fine too.)

So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.

It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.

**In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
recorded so they might play in the order recorded.

Can you use some bulk rename utility to number then so the filenames
have a 3 digit # in front of the real file name? Bulk Rename Utility
is one that comes to mind.

I do that a lot, as I like my mp3's I lull myself to bed with to be in a
certain order too.

Al

The easiest way to make play lists if you don't want some order DOS
will give you, use Winamp. You can drag and drop songs up and down the
list and save the play list you create once you get it the way you
like it.

But will the Jazz/Fit playthe list?

Old May 16th 19, 01:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Dunno but M3U is the standard play list file and everything I use will
play them. (hand held players, my phone, car players and even my old
DOS player from the 20th century)
Old May 16th 19, 01:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2019 18:07:39 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 15 May 2019 22:28:13 +0300, micky
wrote:

[...]

I am not sure I follow all of this convoluted post but you can \make a
play list most players will honor with that DOS command
DIR *.MP3 /b /u playlist.m3u
That will give you a play list of all mp3 files (m3u file) in the
current directory.

Easiest playlist maker (apart from Winamp) is Mp3Tag. Which is
much faster if you are editing tags on multiple files or exporting IDs
to filenames (or vice-versa).

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Quite small (3.5Mb) freeware.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old May 16th 19, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

At one point I was using a cheap mp3 player that did NO sorting: the
folder playback choices were "random" or "unsorted". As a quick
workaround, I used a program to sort the FAT32 file table itself and
place the files in my preferred order. It sounds like you have the
opposite problem this time around, but given your past history that
program might be a good tool to add to your arsenal.
https://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/
Old May 16th 19, 04:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It is pretty hard to beat a 1 line DOS command. I usually drag and
drop into the playlist with note pad to add songs.

Old May 16th 19, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

On Wed, 15 May 2019 19:34:55 -0300, pjp
wrote:

Thank God new to me car I just bought has fancy lcd screen type
interface. I finally have a car stereo plays mp3 directly from a cd and
includes usb and aux inputs as well. Only issue is you have to copy mp3
and picture files off the usb onto it's internal 30Gb hard drive and it
doesn't seem able to just play them directly off the usb device. Other
than takes times to copy not any real issue. Play does Random ... yea
haw!!! but looking at them they are in alphabetical order.

My KIA Sorento only took 8-1/2 HOURS to load my 8100 songs from the
USB.

I add a character (~) to the end of song titles of songs I really
like, and add it twice (~~) to indicate my "top 60" favorites. Since
it is the last character in the field, it does not affect sorting.
After a recent KIA recall software upgrade (apparently unrelated to
the radio at all), the "random" order setting insisted on playing only
those from the Top 60, although those were played in random order. I
had to rename the files on the USB stick to change ~~ to just ~ on
those files, and then reload them all again to get it to work
properly. It reloads all instead of just changed or new files(another
8.5 hours).

Are they using Windows-10 as a software base grin?

-dan z-

--
Someone who thinks logically provides
a nice contrast to the real world.
Old May 16th 19, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2019 23:54:31 -0400, wrote:

I am not sure I follow all of this convoluted post but you can \make a
play list most players will honor with that DOS command
DIR *.MP3 /b /u playlist.m3u
That will give you a play list of all mp3 files (m3u file) in the
current directory.

Easiest playlist maker (apart from Winamp) is Mp3Tag. Which is
much faster if you are editing tags on multiple files or exporting IDs
to filenames (or vice-versa).

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Quite small (3.5Mb) freeware.
[]'s

It is pretty hard to beat a 1 line DOS command. I usually drag and
drop into the playlist with note pad to add songs.

I'm a command-line guy myself. But some things are better done
with GUI apps (I hate the word "apps", why do I use it?).
Mp3tag is malware-free. It opens a html page at startup the
first time it's run, but it's on localhost (in the program's folder).
Just switch off your net if it worries you.
ImgBurn, Winamp, MP3Tag, etc functions can all be done from
the command line with DOS | DOS programs, but why bother?

I wrote a GUI to youtube-dl and wget. I was tired of typing in
"youtube-dl -f18 blahblahblah" Or wget -c --referer= https://blabla
https://e.e.e/something.zip
A cut and paste is so much faster. And my fingers hurt.
Doctors have terrible handwriting because they all have RSI. Well, my
generation does. Younger guys probably dictate all their patient's
secrets into Alexa and feel good about it.
[]'s

Old May 16th 19, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2019 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Just don't play them while in reverse or you'll miss 15 to 20 seconds of
important lyrics.
Old May 16th 19, 06:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 May 2019 11:46:04 -0400, Meanie wrote:

[...]

The MP3 player in my wife's car stops the playback while the computer
is taken over by the backup beeper function and it starts up where you
left off when you go forward again. Same when the phone hijacks it.
Old May 16th 19, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general

In article , lcgh-
says...

wrote:

Thank God new to me car I just bought has fancy lcd screen type
interface. I finally have a car stereo plays mp3 directly from a cd and
includes usb and aux inputs as well. Only issue is you have to copy mp3
and picture files off the usb onto it's internal 30Gb hard drive and it
doesn't seem able to just play them directly off the usb device. Other
than takes times to copy not any real issue. Play does Random ... yea
haw!!! but looking at them they are in alphabetical order.

My KIA Sorento only took 8-1/2 HOURS to load my 8100 songs from the
USB.

Well this Chrylser only took approx 2 hours for 2,200 songs so seems
about same. Therefore I suspect more like I assume both are using USB
1.x and not even USB 2.x.

Just a bit of a drag can't simply play them directly from a flashdrive.
If I want to do that I'd need to use some external player and feed that
into the stereo's aux input. I notice it will also copy cds to the hard
disk. I suspect they'd be stored similar to a wav file and that would
chew up space fast on the small hard disk. I assume it would not do any
automatic compression of any sort so instead of a 5Mb mp3 file you'd end
up with a 50Mb wav file (or similar format). I can live with any slight
quality loss mp4's exibit, at almost 70 and one ear noticably different
in freguency range than the other it's a moot issue.

And just to add, stereo also will display pics but not videos, go
figure.