Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small Engine Spark Plug Heat Range Error

Performing routine annual maintenance on my Echo hand-held leaf blower,
I discovered that last spring, I mistakenly installed a spark plug one
heat range hotter than specified. The blower was used plenty with this
wrong plug in it- and the part of the plug inside the engine had a heavy
very light gray deposit on it.

Wonder if that did any permanent engine damage or shortened its life€¦

--
I dont mind a reasonable amount of trouble.
- Humphrey Bogart
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 May 2019 13:14:49 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Performing routine annual maintenance on my Echo hand-held leaf blower,
I discovered that last spring, I mistakenly installed a spark plug one
heat range hotter than specified. The blower was used plenty with this
wrong plug in it- and the part of the plug inside the engine had a heavy
very light gray deposit on it.

Wonder if that did any permanent engine damage or shortened its life…

IDK. In a pinch I have used a higher heat range plug in a mower.
Never saw any problems that I could discern.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2019 12:14 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Performing routine annual maintenance on my Echo hand-held leaf
blower, I discovered that last spring, I mistakenly installed a spark
plug one heat range hotter than specified. The blower was used plenty
with this wrong plug in it- and the part of the plug inside the engine
had a heavy very light gray deposit on it.

Wonder if that did any permanent engine damage or shortened its life€¦

Â* You haven't hurt it . If you had , you'd know because it would likely
have locked up . Do get the right plug , that light gray deposit , was
it like glass ? Or more like oil deposits that had burned very hot ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/19 3:06 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/6/2019 12:14 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Performing routine annual maintenance on my Echo hand-held leaf
blower, I discovered that last spring, I mistakenly installed a spark
plug one heat range hotter than specified. The blower was used plenty
with this wrong plug in it- and the part of the plug inside the engine
had a heavy very light gray deposit on it.

Wonder if that did any permanent engine damage or shortened its life€¦

Â* You haven't hurt it . If you had , you'd know because it would likely
have locked up . Do get the right plug , that light gray deposit , was
it like glass ? Or more like oil deposits that had burned very hot ?

Didn't look glassy at all, just something I've never seen before.

Usually the well-used plugs look tan- or black if it's running rich or
I'd put too much oil in the gas.

--
"Get off of my lawn!"
- Clint Eastwood (as Walt Kowalski in Gran Torino)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 4:36:40 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

It's a hotter plug, so the temp of the plug will be higher, so maybe that
which would have been tan, burned up more and became gray. Like others
have said, I would not worry about it. IMO to harm one of these things,
you have to do something really stupid. Like run it on gas without oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 May 2019 16:36:35 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 5/6/19 3:06 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/6/2019 12:14 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Performing routine annual maintenance on my Echo hand-held leaf
blower, I discovered that last spring, I mistakenly installed a spark
plug one heat range hotter than specified. The blower was used plenty
with this wrong plug in it- and the part of the plug inside the engine
had a heavy very light gray deposit on it.

Wonder if that did any permanent engine damage or shortened its life…

* You haven't hurt it . If you had , you'd know because it would likely
have locked up . Do get the right plug , that light gray deposit , was
it like glass ? Or more like oil deposits that had burned very hot ?

Didn't look glassy at all, just something I've never seen before.

Usually the well-used plugs look tan- or black if it's running rich or
I'd put too much oil in the gas.

As long as the grey isn't deposited aluminum from detonationdamage
to the piston you are likely OK