Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crimp sleeve or alternate ideas...

On 5/12/2019 7:11 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Big Agribusiness produces the majority of US milk,...

That's not so...they're family farms for the most part here as
well...many of the larger processors are actually farmer-owned
co-operatives as well.

But, this has started towards the inevitable...I just outlined the
results of the NAFTA renegotiations that aren't much improved...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2019 5:42 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
dpb wrote

Out of curiosity, what's your average annual rainfall?

400mm

We're about 18";

Bit higher than ours, but not by much.

it goes up noticeably every 30 mi east and down heading west until E
CO and NM are in 10" range.

Doesnt vary that quickly here.

The Rocky Mtns create the "rain shield" from the westerlies

There's nothing for thousands of miles here.

and we're too far N and W from the Gulf of Mexico for moisture
transport to reliably get to us...

Ours mostly comes from the far NW coast
of australia, thousands of miles away.

Having been through a round of rough weather last several days got me
wondering -- you get yours from thunderstorms with hail, tornado threats
as is so much of ours or does it "just rain"?

We did miss the heavy stuff this go-round; nearest tornadoes about 30
miles east; did get almost 1.5" rain; central part of state is flooded
with as much as 8-10" over a week to 10-day period.

There's occasionally some advantage to being farther west nearer the
rain shield, too...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2019 10:40 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 20:26:47 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/4/2019 7:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 12:41:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

?
That timer was problematic - the replacement electronic timer is an
excellent way to keep the unique oven functional for years to come.

How so? Has worked for nearly 40 years... and the timer/clock itself is
still fully functional; just lost the handle. Pliers work, but are
somewhat inconvient, the missus says...

I just read they were known to be a problem. Yours has worked well,
but apparently some didn't.

What you basically need is a knob about 3/8 inch long with a long
hollow shaft to fit over the 1/8 inch stub that you can epoxy on -
right? How much of the 1/8 inch shaft do you have left to work with
(that you can slip the new shaft over)?

Well, I just got the new electronic module installed -- none of the
supplied mounting hardware comes even close to matching this oven; had
to modify the existing bracket to align the controls with the existing
knob locations by over 1/8" -- fortunately was enough material to file
out the hole locations enough.

It looks somewhat out of place with the rest of the range but one will
eventually get used to it; the big surprise is that the problem with the
oven cleaning cycle I had never been able to diagnose the cause for the
oven lock solenoid to not lock to start the cycle appears to have
actually been that set of contacts in the clock module -- so there was a
failure there that I had not previously attributed to the clock.

So, not only do have working handles/manner in which to set the
clock/time conveniently again, got the self-cleaning function back again
as well as a bonus!

Sometimes "newer is better"

--dpb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2019 8:26 AM, dpb wrote:

So, not only do have working handles/manner in which to set the
clock/time conveniently again, got the self-cleaning function back again
as well as a bonus!

... clock/timeR ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/8/2019 5:42 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
dpb wrote

Out of curiosity, what's your average annual rainfall?

400mm

We're about 18";

Bit higher than ours, but not by much.

it goes up noticeably every 30 mi east and down heading west until E CO
and NM are in 10" range.

Doesnt vary that quickly here.

The Rocky Mtns create the "rain shield" from the westerlies

There's nothing for thousands of miles here.

and we're too far N and W from the Gulf of Mexico for moisture transport
to reliably get to us...

Ours mostly comes from the far NW coast
of australia, thousands of miles away.

Having been through a round of rough weather last several days got me
wondering -- you get yours from thunderstorms with hail, tornado threats
as is so much of ours or does it "just rain"?

We dont get tornados here. We do get cyclones, but we dont get
those in my part of the country, the SE corner, we only get those in
the top half of the country. They are a completely different weather
phenomenon to a tornado. You do get something similar in the
south of your country and further south in the bahamas etc too.

We do get very heavy downpours at times, not just steady rain.

We did miss the heavy stuff this go-round; nearest tornadoes about 30
miles east; did get almost 1.5" rain; central part of state is flooded
with as much as 8-10" over a week to 10-day period.

We dont normally get that much in that sort of time, rarely more
than say 5" in this part of the country. Can be much higher than
that in the top half of the country and thats always with a cyclone.

There's occasionally some advantage to being farther west nearer the rain
shield, too...

There is no rain shield here, much too flat for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unbelievable: it's 02:19 am in Australia ...and Senile Rodent is out of Bed and Trolling ALREADY! LMAO

On Thu, 23 May 2019 02:19:34 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread again

02:19 am? And you've been up and trolling for about an hour ALREADY?

Is it because of those people that keep exposing you for the demented senile
trolling arsehole that you can't sleep in? Or is it simply because of your
senile hormones? Or is it because you got NO ONE to talk to other than the
folk on Usenet?

Did you consider talking to your psychiatrist(s) about it, you clinically
insane trolling cretin?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2019 08:26:49 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

Like I said, there were problems with that (original) timer unit.
Your statement above " Has worked for nearly 40 years... and the
timer/clock itself is still fully functional" ends up NOT being
correct, eh???

So, not only do have working handles/manner in which to set the
clock/time conveniently again, got the self-cleaning function back again
as well as a bonus!

Sometimes "newer is better"

--dpb

Yup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2019 5:26 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

Apparently so...I had put off in-depth digging as could never find
wiring diagram but the clock module/relay I had never suspected.

I'm curious where you saw anything specific about the timer; I had never
come across that in all the searching for parts, etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2019 18:28:06 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

Goes back a few years to bulletins I got from a supplier when the last
NOS timers dissapeared from the market - and a timer repair company I
dealt with to get a timer repaired. There were several timers they
could not provide service for because the entire stock of replacement
parts had been consumed. They had commissioned a run of new EL
displays for my particular timer - and were down to the last dregs
because it ALSO had a higher than anticipated failure rate.

I noticed a reference to the high failure rate of yours again while
researching it to see what you needed. Can't remember where it was
though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2019 6:35 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

Interesting...somehow I've never seen any such references...having never
suspected it as a culprit I hadn't ever really searched for repairs for
it, itself, however, which might be the difference.

I kept the old one; some cold winter evening I might try to see if can
tell just which contact seems to have failed...the only other failure on
this range was one of the oven door locking switches for the microwave
function -- I was able to find a couple of NOS Cherry identical
replacements for them on eBay for like $1/ea so I bought like four for
spares... They could be replaced with any limit switch of roughly
same geometry but having the identical one makes replacement trivial
rather than having to manufacture a mounting arrangement or build a
longer reach arm or the like...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2019 11:19 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

I kinda' figured likely scenario. US High Plains and towards the
SouthEast is pretty much unique in the frequency of tornadoes and truly
severe t-storms w/ gigantic hail.

The cyclone is a hurricane in the Northern and Western
hemispheres...same thing, different name. We have the occasional near
or low-grade hurricane depth low pressure systems with associated winds
on the rare occasion as well -- once in 5-10 yr or so, maybe. Often
when they do come it's late winter very early spring and will be a doozy
of a blizzard. One actually occurred early March this year with 75-85
mph sustained winds and snow...not a great event with cattle out on
wheat pasture.

We did miss the heavy stuff this go-round; nearest tornadoes about 30
miles east; did get almost 1.5" rain; central part of state is flooded
with as much as 8-10" over a week to 10-day period.

We dont normally get that much in that sort of time, rarely more
than say 5" in this part of the country. Can be much higher than
that in the top half of the country and thats always with a cyclone.

There's occasionally some advantage to being farther west nearer the
rain shield, too...

There is no rain shield here, much too flat for that.

They're getting it again tomorrow just east of us -- 2-4" more on places
with a foot or more in last two weeks with some localized areas
predicting another 3-6". We're on the western edge of the severe
weather watch zone for this round so we'll just have to "hide and
watch"...supposed to be moving cows/calves to summer pasture in the
morning; may be interesting exercise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2019 21:46:05 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

There are some parts to the latch that are really fun to make
replacements for too - - - - would be easy (er) with a full machine
shop
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

I was talking to a trucker who just came up from Texas a week or two
ago - said he was running through 2 feet of water on the interstate
(on the one lane that was open) and the feilds were all under a few
feet of water. Can't remember where it was in Texas - but there was no
(functional) drainage system. He said it looked like it would be
August before it would dry out enough to plant - if it DIDN'T rain
again this week - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, meant to say that and then forgot to.

We have the occasional near or low-grade hurricane depth low pressure
systems with associated winds on the rare occasion as well -- once in 5-10
yr or so, maybe.

Ours are entirely tropical.

Often when they do come it's late winter very early spring and will be a
doozy of a blizzard.

We dont get those either.

[...]

We just recently had an immense downpour in southern Queensland
which produced massive floods that drowned lots of cattle. Very flat
there too, so there isnt a lot you can do in that situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 May 2019 15:08:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH another 94 lines of off topic senile drivel

What has all this endless senile drivel got to do with a group like ahr,
senile Rodent? Maybe you SHOULD try a group like "alt.senile" where you
could gossip and drivel to your heart's content, you obnoxious senile pest!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2019 10:14 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 22 May 2019 21:46:05 -0500, dpb wrote:

this range was one of the oven door locking switches for the microwave
function -- I was able to find a couple of NOS Cherry identical
replacements for them on eBay for like $1/ea so I bought like four for
spares... They could be replaced with any limit switch of roughly
same geometry but having the identical one makes replacement trivial
rather than having to manufacture a mounting arrangement or build a
longer reach arm or the like...

There are some parts to the latch that are really fun to make
replacements for too - - - - would be easy (er) with a full machine
shop

I did actually make and insert bushings into the locking arm pivots
before replacing the limit switch -- initially it would close if the
handle were held at its limit and there was wear such that was extra
play in the mechanism. After a couple months, though, the switch did
finally give up the ghost completely...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/22/2019 10:30 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 22 May 2019 21:55:15 -0500, dpb wrote:

They're getting it again tomorrow just east of us -- 2-4" more on places
with a foot or more in last two weeks with some localized areas
predicting another 3-6". We're on the western edge of the severe
weather watch zone for this round so we'll just have to "hide and
watch"...supposed to be moving cows/calves to summer pasture in the
morning; may be interesting exercise.

I was talking to a trucker who just came up from Texas a week or two
ago - said he was running through 2 feet of water on the interstate
(on the one lane that was open) and the feilds were all under a few
feet of water. Can't remember where it was in Texas - but there was no
(functional) drainage system. He said it looked like it would be
August before it would dry out enough to plant - if it DIDN'T rain
again this week - - - -

Yeah, they got hammered along the Gulf Coast (Houston area then...before
our rounds got started--we had one of the driest April's on record
including the 1930's Dust Bowl era...before May got here...

This AM's discussion page excerpts--

..SHORT TERM...(Today through Friday)
Issued at 1208 AM CDT Thu May 23 2019

Still mainly clear across SW KS as of midnight, but that will not
be lasting much longer. Widespread stratus will develop by sunrise
Thursday, along with areas of drizzle/fog, in response to
warm/moist advection north of a stationary surface boundary to our
south. Indications are the stratus will hold for most locations
most of the day, with any penetration of the warm sector airmass
restricted to areas well southeast of Dodge City. The location of
the frontal boundary will be critical with respect to convective
mode/severity through today. A strong closed low near the Grand
Canyon at sunrise this morning will lift north into Wyoming this
evening, and a strong embedded shortwave will eject just to the
west of SW KS through this evening as this occurs. Dynamic lift
will increase strongly today, and in response numerous showers
and thunderstorms will develop during the daylight hours. Kept pop
grids very high, in the likely/definite category. 00z NAM keeps
any surface-based instability restricted to the far SE zones this
afternoon, with high SBCAPE near Kiowa in Barber county and points
south. With strong shear amid continued SW flow aloft, this is
where severe thunderstorms are most likely this afternoon. More
widespread severe weather is expected across NW Oklahoma into SE
KS. Through the afternoon hours, 00z NAM does allow elevated
MUCAPE to near 2000 J/kg about as far north as the Dodge City
vicinity. As such, stronger thunderstorms will produce marginally
severe hail. Clouds and rainfall will work to hold temperatures
well below normal north of the frontal boundary today, and for the
northern/central zones, followed the cooler 00z NAM/MET guidance.

Will allow the flash flood watch to continue for the SE zones
through tonight. Models continue to line up the heaviest rainfall
across these areas. The latest HRRR iterations are the most
concerning, showing multiple rounds of convection and heavy rain
for Barber county and vicinity, this afternoon through Friday
morning. 00z NAM increases precipitable water to near 2 inches
across the SE counties this evening, and QPF grids show widespread
2 inch rainfall amounts. These amounts will likely prove
conservative where training occurs. Soils are already saturated,
and will need to watch the flooding threat closely for the SE
zones carefully through tonight.

..LONG TERM...(Saturday through Wednesday)
Issued at 303 AM CDT Thu May 23 2019

Traditional Memorial Day weekend weather is expected Saturday and
Sunday, in that we are expecting afternoon/evening thunderstorm
potential both days. SW flow aloft is maintained both days,
between persistent troughing over the Great Basin and the
sprawling subtropical high over the SE U.S. As such, the lee
trough/dryline will remain established, gulf moisture will remain
available, and wind shear will remain strong. Per SPC Day 3
outlook for Saturday, scattered supercells are expected in the
warm sector. Pop grids are highest Saturday evening, when large
hail/damaging winds are possible.

Severe thunderstorms appear likely again Sunday afternoon and
evening, with the synoptic pattern changing little and instability
easily reestablishing by afternoon. With enhanced synoptic
support, 00z ECMWF would suggest more robust convective
development Sunday, with a distinct tornado threat across SW KS.
Memorial Day weekend is the statistical peak of the SW KS tornado
season, and this will have to be watched carefully.

Both Saturday and Sunday, heavy rain potential will continue to
exacerbate the contined flash flood threat in south central
Kansas.