Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Crimp sleeve or alternate ideas...

On Sun, 5 May 2019 21:30:08 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/5/2019 6:47 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/5/2019 2:56 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

*... Check your local bike recycler or bike shop ...

That's a city mindset/expectation ... VBG

Small towns standing alone for 60-100 mi radius just can't support
such relatively low-volume businesses, unfortunately.

Mine does, it has 3 of them in fact. They flog everything from
chainsaws to lawn mowers to motorbikes to bikes to quad bikes.

Must be different folks in that-there small town, then...

I don't think I've seen a bike for sale anywhere in town in the 20 year
we've been back...and, come to think of it, not that many kids in town
actually have bikes it seems. Maybe the two are somehow related???

The flatlands of Kansas are ideal for pedal bikes - not bat for
motorbikes either .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2019 7:57 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The flatlands of Kansas are ideal for pedal bikes - not bat for
motorbikes either .

Dirt roads and goatheads pretty much play havoc...

Those that ride cross-country heading east realize that while not
mountainous it ain't flat...it's an inclined plane when get past the
Flint Hills country.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2019 8:29 AM, dpb wrote:

Those that ride cross-country heading east realize that while not
mountainous it ain't flat...it's an inclined plane when get past the
Flint Hills country.

Was intended to be

Those that ride cross-country NOT heading east realize that while not
mountainous it ain't flat...it's an inclined plane when get past the
Flint Hills country.

of course...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/6/2019 7:57 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The flatlands of Kansas are ideal for pedal bikes - not bat for
motorbikes either .

Dirt roads and goatheads pretty much play havoc...

Doesnt stop them here. I choose to walk for exercise on
the hill at the back of this town where there are dirt tracks
that can only be used for walking or bikes of both types
and quite often have pedal bikes zoom past. We also
have these which are a real problem for pedal bikes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

Those that ride cross-country heading east realize that while not
mountainous it ain't flat...it's an inclined plane when get past the Flint
Hills country.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2019 12:22 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/6/2019 7:57 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Â* The flatlands of Kansas are ideal for pedal bikes - not bat for
motorbikes either .

Dirt roads and goatheads pretty much play havoc...

Doesnt stop them here. I choose to walk for exercise on
the hill at the back of this town where there are dirt tracks
that can only be used for walking or bikes of both types
and quite often have pedal bikes zoom past. We also
have these which are a real problem for pedal bikes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

That is a goathead, yes...

Current off-road bikes probably have tires that are more suited or maybe
they're even foamed? -- a traditional bike tire of my yut' wouldn't
survive 15 minutes, typically.ood hard surface...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 May 2019 03:22:57 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Dirt roads and goatheads pretty much play havoc...

Doesn¢t stop them here.

Nobody gives a **** about your ****ty place, senile ****head!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 5/6/2019 7:57 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

* The flatlands of Kansas are ideal for pedal bikes - not bat for
motorbikes either .

Dirt roads and goatheads pretty much play havoc...

Doesn’t stop them here. I choose to walk for exercise on
the hill at the back of this town where there are dirt tracks
that can only be used for walking or bikes of both types
and quite often have pedal bikes zoom past. We also
have these which are a real problem for pedal bikes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

That is a goathead, yes...

Current off-road bikes probably have tires that are more suited or maybe
they're even foamed? -- a traditional bike tire of my yut' wouldn't
survive 15 minutes, typically.ood hard surface...

Those damned things will do in a car or off-road vehicle tire too.
Not as common on roads as on trails though - right? Need good kevlar
belted tires - like Conti Gatorskins fitted with Kenda Thorn Resistant
tubes. Or mabee a Tannus Airless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

"They're everwhere, they're everywhere!!!"

While they aren't generally growing out in the traffic part of the
roads, they're rampant in ditches and along road edges and the goatheads
get scattered all over by the road graders when they dig up the bar
ditches/reclaim gravel...

Not much in the way of developed trails out here...can't think of any in
the County, matter of fact...ya' just walk where ya' wanta' walk on the
prairie; not much to stop you nor much in the general nature of any
particular reason to choose one place vis a vis another...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

Ours arent prepared trails, they have developed over
time by the people and bikes moving over them.

The old rubbish dump does have some
pretty wild tracks on it use by trail bikes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 May 2019 11:55:36 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Ours arent

Nobody gives a ****, you forsaken lonely cantankerous senile Ozzietard!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2019 8:55 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

Not much in the way of developed trails out here...can't think of any
in the County, matter of fact...ya' just walk where ya' wanta' walk on
the prairie; not much to stop you nor much in the general nature of
any particular reason to choose one place vis a vis another...

Ours arent prepared trails, they have developed over
time by the people and bikes moving over them.

Well, I'd get pretty irate with enough traffic through wheat fields and
pastures to develop permanent paths...whose land are they trespassing on?

The old rubbish dump does have some
pretty wild tracks on it use by trail bikes.

There's a ski slope now outside Cincinnati; the pile here in town is now
getting pretty tall itself. Pretty sure it will still be 20 year or
more before they'll have need to start another, though...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message

Not much in the way of developed trails out here...can't think of any in
the County, matter of fact...ya' just walk where ya' wanta' walk on the
prairie; not much to stop you nor much in the general nature of any
particular reason to choose one place vis a vis another...

Ours arent prepared trails, they have developed over
time by the people and bikes moving over them.

Well, I'd get pretty irate with enough traffic through wheat fields and
pastures to develop permanent paths...

You can see from the satellite view that there
are no wheat fields or pastures involved.

whose land are they trespassing on?

They arent trespassing on anyone's land.

This is public land that anyone is welcome
to walk or ride a pedal bike on.

They arent legally allowed to ride motorbikes on there,
but do anyway, but mostly just on that old rubbish dump.

The old rubbish dump does have some
pretty wild tracks on it use by trail bikes.

There's a ski slope now outside Cincinnati; the pile here in town is now
getting pretty tall itself. Pretty sure it will still be 20 year or more
before they'll have need to start another, though...

We moved our town dump well out of town to an old disused quarry.

There are tracks there too but those are fire trails, used
to allow fire trucks to get there when there are bushfires.
There are locked gates on some of those but someone
drove what we call a 4x4 with a massive bull bar right
thru one of them and left it flat on the ground. Roughly
here, but its a bit hard to work out exactly where there.

http://www.4x4megastore.com.au/wp-co...lux-2015-2.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 May 2019 04:06:12 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll's troll****

We

There NO "we" for you, psychopath! NOBODY identifies with an abnormal
self-opinionated, cantankerous, senile asshole like you ...not on Usenet AND
not in real life! And you KNOW it! BG

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message

[...]

Huh! All flood irrigation still...wow!

,14027m/data=!3m1!1e3

the county facility/city lagoons are there are NE corner toiwn, the
packing plant is just south of them along north side of the
tracks...there's a full-mile circle about 5-mi E of town with a green
north half inside an outer ring--that's Heifer Source lots beside it;
our place is in the quarter section just to SW...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message

[...]

Huh!Â* All flood irrigation still...wow!

,14027m/data=!3m1!1e3

the county facility/city lagoons are there are NE corner toiwn, the
packing plant is just south of them along north side of the
tracks...there's a full-mile circle about 5-mi E of town with a green
north half inside an outer ring--that's Heifer Source lots beside it;
our place is in the quarter section just to SW...

Is Dorothy's House a big deal? It's hard to imagine it would be
after all
these years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote

[...]

Nope, plenty of drip with trees and lots of what we call lateral moves too.
http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/__data...vot-system.jpg

Flood works better wirh rice. This is the main rice producing area of the
country.

We dont do center pivot much, lateral move is much better, uses all the
land.

,14027m/data=!3m1!1e3

the county facility/city lagoons are there are NE corner toiwn, the
packing plant is just south of them along north side of the
tracks...there's a full-mile circle about 5-mi E of town with a green
north half inside an outer ring--that's Heifer Source lots beside it; our
place is in the quarter section just to SW...

Our feed lots are much further out.
https://www.aussiefarms.org.au/facil...a-beef-feedlot

Lots of cotton too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hi...8!4d145.532778

Flood works better wirh rice. This is the main rice producing area of the
country.

We dont do center pivot much, lateral move is much better, uses all the
land.

,14027m/data=!3m1!1e3

the county facility/city lagoons are there are NE corner toiwn, the
packing plant is just south of them along north side of the
tracks...there's a full-mile circle about 5-mi E of town with a green
north half inside an outer ring--that's Heifer Source lots beside it; our
place is in the quarter section just to SW...

Our feed lots are much further out.
https://www.aussiefarms.org.au/facil...a-beef-feedlot

Lots of cotton too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 May 2019 12:06:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Lots of cotton too.

Yep, that's what your senile head is stuffed with, Rodent!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2019 9:06 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote

[...]

OK, makes sense...couldn't tell what the crop was. No rice anyways near
here...

We dont do center pivot much, lateral move is much better, uses all the
land.

,14027m/data=!3m1!1e3

The convenience of the well at the middle hard to beat. There's plenty
of ground to give up the corners... There are lateral systems on
smaller tracts back east and out in some of the mountain valleys for
hay, etc., and they're pretty common in the desert SW for their
specialty crops, too.

Our feed lots are much further out.
https://www.aussiefarms.org.au/facil...a-beef-feedlot

Actually Heifer Source isn't feedlot but a dairy calf-rearing facility
producing milkers.

Lots of cotton too.

Getting to be more altho towards the northern end of the degree-days
boundary but since takes less water is making inroads...plus some newer
varieties better adapted.

Sunflowers, canola, some potatoes (under contract to MickeyD's), grain
sorghum (milo) besides the wheat and corn...

--dpb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2019 7:21 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â* Is Dorothy'sÂ* House a big deal?Â*Â* It's hard to imagine it would be
after all these years

Actually, yes, it is...they come from all over the world; some
specifically for it.

Pretty amazing to me, too, even though served on the museum board for a
number of years that it continues to have such a following--but, it
provides a significant fraction of the revenue stream to keep the museum
afloat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

We dont use wells here, its all river water.

There's plenty of ground to give up the corners... There are lateral
systems on smaller tracts back east and out in some of the mountain
valleys for hay, etc., and they're pretty common in the desert SW for
their specialty crops, too.

Our feed lots are much further out.
https://www.aussiefarms.org.au/facil...a-beef-feedlot

Actually Heifer Source isn't feedlot but a dairy calf-rearing facility
producing milkers.

There is a massive feedlot there too.

Lots of cotton too.

Getting to be more altho towards the northern end of the degree-days
boundary but since takes less water is making inroads...plus some newer
varieties better adapted.

Sunflowers, canola, some potatoes (under contract to MickeyD's), grain
sorghum (milo) besides the wheat and corn...

Plenty of all those here, and vast amount of non irrigated too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 May 2019 04:01:13 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

,14027m/data=!3m1!1e3

The convenience of the well at the middle hard to beat.

We don¢t use wells here, its all river water.

Darn, you were lucky, senile Rodent, you found another senile Yankietard who
won't see what's the matter with you! LOL

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2019 1:01 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

The convenience of the well at the middle hard to beat.

We dont use wells here, its all river water.

No surface water here at all...within 200 mi, anyways, back east a ways...

There's plenty of ground to give up the corners... Â* There are
lateral systems on smaller tracts back east and out in some of the
mountain valleys for hay, etc., and they're pretty common in the
desert SW for their specialty crops, too.

Our feed lots are much further out.
https://www.aussiefarms.org.au/facil...a-beef-feedlot

Actually Heifer Source isn't feedlot but a dairy calf-rearing facility
producing milkers.

There is a massive feedlot there too.

May look like it, but that's not its function...dairy calves have to
eat, too...

The closest larger feedlots are about 10-15 mi N; there are others
scattered all around...Seaboard has a large hog packing facility in
Guymon, OK, about 45 mi SW so towards that direction there are zillions
of pigs besides.

Number of goodly-sized dairies as well altho the Heifer Source folks are
out of Minnesota and ship most of them back that direction...they're
here for the calves owing to the cheaper feed costs than locally...it
seems to work for them, they've been 10+ years now. I don't know their
current inventory; they're permit is for up to 27,000; being close by we
see the filings whenever they file for any changes to their permits.

Lots of cotton too.

Getting to be more altho towards the northern end of the degree-days
boundary but since takes less water is making inroads...plus some
newer varieties better adapted.

Sunflowers, canola, some potatoes (under contract to MickeyD's), grain
sorghum (milo) besides the wheat and corn...

Plenty of all those here, and vast amount of non irrigated too.

Yeah, our operation is all dryland; the SE corner of the County was
closed for new irrigation 20+ yr ago; the rest of the county not too
long after. OK, unfortunately, still doesn't have any reasonable water
usage/rights on the books as KS.

Out of curiosity, what's your average annual rainfall? We're about 18";
it goes up noticeably every 30 mi east and down heading west until E CO
and NM are in 10" range. The Rocky Mtns create the "rain shield" from
the westerlies and we're too far N and W from the Gulf of Mexico for
moisture transport to reliably get to us...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/19 9:06 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote

[...]

Still some flood here in east central Nebraska. It's gated pipe
and water running
down the furrows in between the corn or soybean rows. Most is center
pivots by now.
They're more efficient with both the water and labor. We get about 26"
of moisture
annually and corn needs about that much for a good yield. It's not at
the right time, of course.

Nope, plenty of drip with trees and lots of what we call lateral moves too.
http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/__data...vot-system.jpg
We have a few lateral moves here. They're on ground the seed
companies
own or rent. Mycogen, Pioneer, and Syngenta are all within about 30 miles.
Linears do a lot better job of getting the water on evenly than pivots.
The seed
companies want even watering to make evaluating their seed varieties more
consistent.
Linears are a lot more expensive than pivots and require more labor.
Getting
the water to them is tougher.

Flood works better wirh rice. This is the main rice producing area of
the country.

We dont do center pivot much, lateral move is much better, uses all the
land.

A lot of the pivots here have corner arms added to them. The arms
steer out into the corners and tuck in behind the main system on the
sides of the fields.

,14027m/data=!3m1!1e3

the county facility/city lagoons are there are NE corner toiwn, the
packing plant is just south of them along north side of the
tracks...there's a full-mile circle about 5-mi E of town with a green
north half inside an outer ring--that's Heifer Source lots beside it;
our place is in the quarter section just to SW...

Our feed lots are much further out.
https://www.aussiefarms.org.au/facil...a-beef-feedlot

Lots of cotton too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote

There's plenty of ground to give up the corners... There are lateral
systems on smaller tracts back east and out in some of the mountain
valleys for hay, etc., and they're pretty common in the desert SW for
their specialty crops, too.

Our feed lots are much further out.
https://www.aussiefarms.org.au/facil...a-beef-feedlot

Actually Heifer Source isn't feedlot but a dairy calf-rearing facility
producing milkers.

There is a massive feedlot there too.

May look like it, but that's not its function...dairy calves have to eat,
too...

They aint dairy cows. No dairys anywhere near
there, those are all down in Victoria hundreds
of miles away and mostly fading away now.

The closest larger feedlots are about 10-15 mi N; there are others
scattered all around...Seaboard has a large hog packing facility in
Guymon, OK, about 45 mi SW so towards that direction there are zillions of
pigs besides.

Yeah, big pig operation here too and the chicken operation
is the biggest in the entire southern hemisphere.

[...]

400mm

We're about 18";

Bit higher than ours, but not by much.

it goes up noticeably every 30 mi east and down heading west until E CO
and NM are in 10" range.

Doesnt vary that quickly here.

The Rocky Mtns create the "rain shield" from the westerlies

There's nothing for thousands of miles here.

and we're too far N and W from the Gulf of Mexico for moisture transport
to reliably get to us...

Ours mostly comes from the far NW coast
of australia, thousands of miles away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote

[...]

Very little of ours is done that way now, mostly
just some of the trees and grapes etc.

The cotton is mostly done differently with manually
installed pipes for each row, again from the main
open supply channel. Again, this is river/dam waters.
https://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transf..._h678_fmax.jpg

Rice isnt done with furrows, much bigger bays
and they have standing water in the entire bay.

Most is center pivots by now.

Hardly any of ours is center pivot, mostly lateral
move. But then none of the water is from bores,
its all from rivers and so lateral move works
better with those, no lost land at the corners.

This area was done in the 1920s mostly with the
channels being done by horse drawn scoops with
the main supply channel being done with this
****ing great machine which moved under its own
power to this area after being assembled here.
http://www.bonzle.com/h/8/e/8/708to.jpg

They're more efficient with both the water and labor.

Lateral moves are more efficient again.

Most of the trees and grapes etc are done with drip.

We get about 26" of moisture annually and corn needs about that much for a
good yield. It's not at the right time, of course.

Yeah, this area produces most of the corn in the country.

Nope, plenty of drip with trees and lots of what we call lateral moves
too.
http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/__data...vot-system.jpg

We have a few lateral moves here. They're on ground the seed companies
own or rent. Mycogen, Pioneer, and Syngenta are all within about 30
miles. Linears do a lot better job of getting the water on evenly than
pivots. The seed companies want even watering to make evaluating their
seed varieties more consistent.

Linears are a lot more expensive than pivots and require more labor.
Getting the water to them is tougher.

Not here, they have a channel along one side
of the paddock and it just has the intake in that.

Flood works better wirh rice. This is the main rice producing area of the
country.

We dont do center pivot much, lateral move is much better, uses all the
land.

A lot of the pivots here have corner arms added to them. The arms steer
out into the corners and tuck in behind the main system on the sides of
the fields.

Lateral moves work better here because
of the water channels instead of bores

,14027m/data=!3m1!1e3

the county facility/city lagoons are there are NE corner toiwn, the
packing plant is just south of them along north side of the
tracks...there's a full-mile circle about 5-mi E of town with a green
north half inside an outer ring--that's Heifer Source lots beside it;
our place is in the quarter section just to SW...

Our feed lots are much further out.
https://www.aussiefarms.org.au/facil...a-beef-feedlot

Lots of cotton too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 May 2019 12:40:23 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH most of the usual troll****

Yeah, this area produces most of the corn in the country.

Not to forget the corny self-opinionated senile assholes it obviously
produces, senile Rodent!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 May 2019 08:42:55 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

May look like it, but that's not its function...dairy calves have to eat,
too...

They aint dairy cows. No dairys anywhere near
there, those are all down in Victoria hundreds
of miles away and mostly fading away now.

About time you taught that senile Yankietard what kind of a senile Ozzietard
he's dealing with, eh, senile Rodent? LOL

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2019 5:42 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
dpb wrote
Rod Speed wrote
dpb wrote

There is a massive feedlot there too.

May look like it, but that's not its function...dairy calves have to
eat, too...

They aint dairy cows. No dairys anywhere near
there, those are all down in Victoria hundreds
of miles away and mostly fading away now.

Ah...I may have misunderstood the reference -- thought was reference to
the lots east of the circle identified as close to us...

There's been a major upsurge in dairies here -- California and Arizona
in particular have made it so tough on 'em w/ increased "nuisance"
regulation and water restrictions many chose to move operations instead.

Traditionally had never been any dairy to speak of other than just one
or two very small operations--one of which was our neighbor just west
who had the only fulltime operation in the county. Watching that tie
them down to the place was enough to convince me "Not!".

Grandfather in first days around 1915 started with registered milking
shorthorn cow herd as stockers; we never milked other than the one or
two for the house except during the Depression and Dust Bowl years of
the 30's they peddled milk, butter, eggs, anything could manage in town
to survive...

Current milk pricing is tough, so not been any expansion recently, but
they all seem to be hanging on for the moment, anyway...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 May 2019 08:34:55 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

US dairy overproduction is bordering on the criminal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2019 12:24 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 9 May 2019 08:34:55 -0500, dpb wrote:

Current milk pricing is tough, so not been any expansion recently, but
they all seem to be hanging on for the moment, anyway...

US dairy overproduction is bordering on the criminal.

But Canadian market barriers are...

The big sticking point in renewing NAFTA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 May 2019 12:54:27 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/9/2019 12:24 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 9 May 2019 08:34:55 -0500, dpb wrote:

Current milk pricing is tough, so not been any expansion recently, but
they all seem to be hanging on for the moment, anyway...

US dairy overproduction is bordering on the criminal.

But Canadian market barriers are...

The big sticking point in renewing NAFTA.

More dairy products from the USA come into Canada than Canadian into
the USA
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 9:35:10 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
There's been a major upsurge in dairies here -- California and Arizona
in particular have made it so tough on 'em w/ increased "nuisance"
regulation and water restrictions many chose to move operations instead.

When I was a kid growing up in northern Wisconsin, dairy was pretty much it.
Too short a season to grow much beside hay.

My house, like most in my town, had an insulated aluminum box outside the door. The dairy truck drove by in the morning, collected the empty milk bottles, and left a full one.

If you were a farm kid you were up at 0400 helping with chores. After an hour on the bus you had math class. No chance to stay awake or concentrate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 May 2019 05:16:59 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 9:35:10 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
There's been a major upsurge in dairies here -- California and Arizona
in particular have made it so tough on 'em w/ increased "nuisance"
regulation and water restrictions many chose to move operations instead.

When I was a kid growing up in northern Wisconsin, dairy was pretty much it.
Too short a season to grow much beside hay.

My house, like most in my town, had an insulated aluminum box outside the door. The dairy truck drove by in the morning, collected the empty milk bottles, and left a full one.

If you were a farm kid you were up at 0400 helping with chores. After an hour on the bus you had math class. No chance to stay awake or concentrate.

No problem if you went to bed with the sun.
I was a farm boy too - - - for a few years.

Around here the milk box was built into the house Door on the outside.
Door on the inside. In the winter it also worked as a fridge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2019 8:39 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 9 May 2019 12:54:27 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/9/2019 12:24 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 9 May 2019 08:34:55 -0500, dpb wrote:

Current milk pricing is tough, so not been any expansion recently, but
they all seem to be hanging on for the moment, anyway...
US dairy overproduction is bordering on the criminal.

But Canadian market barriers are...

The big sticking point in renewing NAFTA.

More dairy products from the USA come into Canada than Canadian into
the USA

"Meanwhile, just across the St Lawrence river, the dairy industry is
thriving like never before €“ and like none other in the developed
world. Family farms milking an average of 80 cows each have prospered
under a heavily regulated system that supports prices at sustainable
levels by restricting domestic overproduction and keeping imports at
bay. In 2016, Canadian farmers received an average price of C$0.79 a
litre for milk, compared with C$0.49 on average for US farmers."

The extremely tight supply-side management practice artificially
inflates consumer prices and with the tariffs, US exports to Canada are
only 1% of total dairy exports.

"For decades, Canada has protected its dairy industry, erecting
trade barriers that diminish foreign competition and result in higher
prices for Canadian consumers. While this has prompted longstanding
complaints by the United States and other exporters, the tariffs have
survived, thanks in part to a strong dairy lobby that Canadian
politicians have been loath to oppose.

After a small fixed quota of U.S. exports is reached, Canada imposes
a tariff on any dairy products brought into the country, with the
level varying a bit depending on the specific product. For instance,
fluid milk is 241 percent, cheese is 245.5 percent, ice cream is 277
percent, cream is 292.5 percent, and butter is 298.5 percent."

Not to turn an otherwise productive/entertaining thread into politics,
but there is/was definitely room for dissatisfaction.

Not actually being in dairy, I've not really looked into the details of
just what came out of the renogotiated deal (yet to be raised for
ratification by US Senate) so not sure just who gave/got what in the end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/19 9:39 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 9 May 2019 12:54:27 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/9/2019 12:24 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 9 May 2019 08:34:55 -0500, dpb wrote:

Current milk pricing is tough, so not been any expansion recently, but
they all seem to be hanging on for the moment, anyway...
US dairy overproduction is bordering on the criminal.

But Canadian market barriers are...

The big sticking point in renewing NAFTA.

More dairy products from the USA come into Canada than Canadian into
the USA

Maybe some of us don't want filthy canadian cows?

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/bse/case-...an-cattle.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/10/2019 2:07 PM, dpb wrote:

Not actually being in dairy, I've not really looked into the details of
just what came out of the renogotiated deal (yet to be raised for
ratification by US Senate) so not sure just who gave/got what in the end.

So, I got curious...

A very nominal increase in the import quotas -- from before the deal 3
percent of total Canadian dairy sales, the magic threshold before the
high tariffs kick is all the way up to 3.59 percent of total Canadian
dairy sales. Wow! Since US production is, like the ratio of US:Canada
GDP roughly 10:1, that means 0.05% increase in market volume to US.

The potentially somewhat more beneficial agreement is USMCA also commits
Canada to raising the support price for ultra-filtered milk-€”the
concentrate used as base for cheese and other products. At least up to
the quota, it would be roughly fair market, but the very high tariffs
remain in effect after so the market is still effectively capped.

Saw somewhere while looking it's costing Toronto $2.6 B/yr to support
the program.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 May 2019 14:23:27 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/10/2019 2:07 PM, dpb wrote:

[...]

Costing TORONTO??????? What does the city of Toronto have to do with
it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2019 4:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2019 14:23:27 -0500, dpb wrote:

Saw somewhere while looking it's costing Toronto $2.6 B/yr to support
the program.

Costing TORONTO??????? What does the city of Toronto have to do with
it?

Senile moment...OTTOWA, not Toronto, sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 May 2019 18:06:42 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/12/2019 4:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2019 14:23:27 -0500, dpb wrote:

Saw somewhere while looking it's costing Toronto $2.6 B/yr to support
the program.

Costing TORONTO??????? What does the city of Toronto have to do with
it?

Senile moment...OTTOWA, not Toronto, sorry.

OttAwa - and it doesn't cost Ottawa anything either. It costs
Canadians. About $70 per person if your numbers are correct. For
that price we have a vital, sudtainable dairy industry.

You pay US$ 3.50 a gallon for milk (About $.73 canadian - or $1.25 per
liter.. I pay $4.39 for 4 liters - so about $1.10 per liter - 15
cents a liter less than the average US price. The average Canadian
drinks 77 liters of milk and cream per year - not counting chease,
butter, ice cream, etc.

Meanwhile 73% of US dairy producer returns are comprised of
government subsidies - about US$21 billion per year.

Big Agribusiness produces the majority of US milk, while family
farming business produces the majority of Canadian milk - with farmer
owned co-operatives processing much of those dairy products. - AgroPur
and Gay Lea are farmer owned processors - and the largest dairy
processors in Canada.