Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutter cleaning

philo posted for all of us...

Now that I'm almost 70, my wife insisted that I call a guy to clean the
gutters.

After a ten month wait, I decided to just do it myself.

Had to do it when my wife was not watching.

I wonder if I should have those leaf guards installed?

Somethings to consider:

How much will it cost to get the guards installed?

How much will it cost to get them cleaned? Even then guards do not IME
prevent the need for cleaning.

How long are you going to be living there?

How long do you honestly think you can do it?

I know you are a DIY type but it is never too early to sit back and enjoy
life, however you do it.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/19 1:01 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/20/2019 12:33 PM, philo wrote:
On 4/20/19 7:26 AM, Frank wrote:
On 4/19/2019 6:38 PM, philo wrote:
Now that I'm almost 70, my wife insisted that I call a guy to clean
the gutters.

After a ten month wait, I decided to just do it myself.

Had to do it when my wife was not watching.

I wonder if I should have those leaf guards installed?

My wife is the same and I just did mine on the first floor.* I took
my time and made sure my center of gravity was good on the ladder.
Several years ago a neighbor than my age fell doing his and lost a
few teeth.

Last year I had new gutters installed and was told that gutter guards
always failed and would cost 3X as much. I had mesh type with large
holes self installed and would still have to remove a few pieces to
remove particulate that accumulated.* I see a micro mesh being
advertised and it may work better but probably costs even more.* A
quick Google shows cheapest at about $25/ft.

I had my top floors gutters cleaned once and it cost about $200.** I
think the are out of reach of trees around so I will do lower as long
as I can and bring out the Gutter Guys every several years.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to skip the gutter guards then.

This is not a major big deal, even if I have to pay someone to clean
them.

Our problem being older is that we cannot quite do the jobs we used to
do.* I even use a lawn service now.* OTOH it is nice to be relieved of
the servitude of having to do these jobs.

I had my knees replaced maybe eight years ago and now am doing the same
dumb stuff I did when I was 40.

Not sure if that is good or bad
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/19 4:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/20/2019 2:01 PM, Frank wrote:

This is not a major big deal, even if I have to pay someone to clean
them.

Our problem being older is that we cannot quite do the jobs we used to
do.* I even use a lawn service now.* OTOH it is nice to be relieved of
the servitude of having to do these jobs.

Agree.* My wife has some issues that prevent her from doing much.* She
helped with the lawn, shoveled snow, kept up with whatever we needed.
The housework fell on my over the last few years.

Since we moved, this house is a bit smaller and easier to care for, but,
I have a lawn service and every other week a cleaning lady.* She is well
worth the money.* She comes in and goes right to work for a solid four
hours or so.* When she leaves, everything is the way it was when we
moved into the brand new house four months ago.

Twice a month she cleans the 8' glass slider in the kitchen.* I'd
probably do it twice a year.* Fixtures and appliances shine.

We hire a friend to do the cleaning.

My wife and I are not at all good at cleaning but we don't have a
cluttered house either. Mostly a lot of dust and cat fur.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/19 3:21 AM, RMD wrote:
On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 17:38:07 -0500, philo wrote:

Now that I'm almost 70, my wife insisted that I call a guy to clean the
gutters.

After a ten month wait, I decided to just do it myself.

Had to do it when my wife was not watching.

I wonder if I should have those leaf guards installed?

I clean my gutters using a leaf-blower.

I get up on the roof to do this, but I also built a specially shaped
leaf blower attachment that lets me clean the gutter from the ground.

Obviously I can see what is happening better up on the roof, but the
leaf-blower attachment for ground level blowing worked well enough.

Ross

I had to pull them out by hand, they were wet and pretty compressed.

It was not a very tough job
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/22/19 2:08 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

Now that I'm almost 70, my wife insisted that I call a guy to clean the
gutters.

After a ten month wait, I decided to just do it myself.

Had to do it when my wife was not watching.

I wonder if I should have those leaf guards installed?

Somethings to consider:

How much will it cost to get the guards installed?

How much will it cost to get them cleaned? Even then guards do not IME
prevent the need for cleaning.

How long are you going to be living there?

How long do you honestly think you can do it?

I know you are a DIY type but it is never too early to sit back and enjoy
life, however you do it.

I have survived 40 years without leaf guards.

I'm 70 now so I don't think I will need them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

On 4/20/19 7:26 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Only if you learn from your mistakes. I never did so you can safely say I am
dumb.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/23/2019 3:41 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I had my knees replaced maybe eight years ago and now am doing the same
dumb stuff I did when I was 40.

Not sure if that is good or bad

Only if you learn from your mistakes. I never did so you can safely say I am
dumb.

I've learned from the but some were just too much fun not to repeat
anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.checkmate
% % is offline

On 2019-04-24 9:25 a.m., Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 4/19/2019 4:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/19/2019 6:38 PM, philo wrote:
Now that I'm almost 70, my wife insisted that I call a guy to clean
the gutters.

After a ten month wait, I decided to just do it myself.

Had to do it when my wife was not watching.

I wonder if I should have those leaf guards installed?

I was thinking the same thing but found a better way.* I moved to a
new house with no gutters.

My next door neighbor had gutters install two months ago.* He was on
the roof cleaning them last week.** I'm not putting any on.

Had I stayed in the old house, probably would have put some sort of
guard up.

**** you and yer pollock butt buddy.

says the mountain view maniac

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.checkmate

On 2019-04-24 9:25 a.m., Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 4/19/2019 4:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/19/2019 6:38 PM, philo wrote:
Now that I'm almost 70, my wife insisted that I call a guy to clean
the gutters.

After a ten month wait, I decided to just do it myself.

Had to do it when my wife was not watching.

I wonder if I should have those leaf guards installed?

I was thinking the same thing but found a better way. I moved to a
new house with no gutters.

My next door neighbor had gutters install two months ago. He was on
the roof cleaning them last week. I'm not putting any on.

Had I stayed in the old house, probably would have put some sort of
guard up.

**** you and yer pollock butt buddy.

says the mountain view maniac

its more self maintaining

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.checkmate

On 2019-04-24 9:25 a.m., Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 4/19/2019 4:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/19/2019 6:38 PM, philo wrote:
Now that I'm almost 70, my wife insisted that I call a guy to clean the
gutters.

After a ten month wait, I decided to just do it myself.

Had to do it when my wife was not watching.

I wonder if I should have those leaf guards installed?

I was thinking the same thing but found a better way. I moved to a new
house with no gutters.

My next door neighbor had gutters install two months ago. He was on the
roof cleaning them last week. I'm not putting any on.

Had I stayed in the old house, probably would have put some sort of
guard up.

**** you and yer pollock butt buddy.

says the mountain view maniac

assworm is pwned

oh good

Gutter repair, covers, Ned Stevens, New England Gutter Kings Jonathan Kamens Home Ownership 5 December 30th 09 02:31 PM
Gutter cleaning robot Dan Home Repair 3 January 17th 08 08:49 PM
Gutter cleaning tip Liz Megerle Home Repair 4 November 17th 07 09:04 PM
Gutter cleaning devices Steve Home Repair 4 July 29th 07 01:34 PM
gutter cleaning question Methos Home Repair 8 August 29th 06 09:15 AM