Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag Oven problem

Have not posted here in ages as all has been working fine until today.

I have a Maytag *gas* oven model MGR5765QDB that just quit today.

All burners OK but neither oven or broiler work

Per the limited diagram I have I see each has a separate igniter and
bake valve so some common part has obviously failed.

If I turn on the main control I can hear a relay kick in a few seconds
after I set the heat.

From the diagram I have I cannot tell if there is a separate relay for
oven and broiler.

Just checking if anyone here knows before I start ripping things apart.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2019 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
Maytag *gas* oven model** MGR5765QDB

We are having trouble with our Maytag electric range and it is due to
faulty control (clock) panel and sensor in the oven. It was signaled by
an error code. Unfortunately electronics have shorted the lives of
today's appliances. Previous oven had similar problem and repair only
lasted a year so we are looking for a new one.

If I were to do the repair myself, I would go to youtube videos for help.

I see clock, like mine, is an expensive part:

https://www.partselect.com/Models/MG...e=Range&Mark=3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2019 7:44 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/18/2019 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
Maytag *gas* oven model** MGR5765QDB

We are having trouble with our Maytag electric range and it is due to
faulty control (clock) panel and sensor in the oven.* It was signaled by
an error code.* Unfortunately electronics have shorted the lives of
today's appliances.* Previous oven had similar problem and repair only
lasted a year so we are looking for a new one.

If I were to do the repair myself, I would go to youtube videos for help.

I see clock, like mine, is an expensive part:

https://www.partselect.com/Models/MG...e=Range&Mark=3

Looking like our sensor from the video, this was first thing repairman
tried and it only lasted 3 weeks. Now he wants to put in a clock. No
thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/19 6:49 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/18/2019 7:44 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/18/2019 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
Maytag *gas* oven model** MGR5765QDB

We are having trouble with our Maytag electric range and it is due to
faulty control (clock) panel and sensor in the oven.* It was signaled
by an error code.* Unfortunately electronics have shorted the lives of
today's appliances.* Previous oven had similar problem and repair only
lasted a year so we are looking for a new one.

If I were to do the repair myself, I would go to youtube videos for help.

I see clock, like mine, is an expensive part:

https://www.partselect.com/Models/MG...e=Range&Mark=3

Looking like our sensor from the video, this was first thing repairman
tried and it only lasted 3 weeks.* Now he wants to put in a clock.* No
thanks.

Thanks for the fast reply.

To start out I have now checked the sensor and it measures approx 1 K
ohm which should be normal.

looks like the main control which is about $235

If I replace it myself and that does not solve it I'm screwed.

It's 14 years old so maybe time for new.

Will sleep on this
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/19 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
On 4/18/19 6:49 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Did not sleep long, a whole new oven is $400

looks like I might as well just replace it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2019 8:47 PM, philo wrote:
On 4/18/19 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
On 4/18/19 6:49 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Ours is only 8 years old but I figure if like an old car and you spend a
lot for a repair and it only lasts a year you might as well buy new.

I wish we had gas as new electric burners as part of the glass surface
can be a big expense to repair.

I'm hoping the new electronics will last longer and if we did the repair
we would still be using old electronics.

Electric ovens are more expensive and wife is taking her time finding a
replacement. It will not be a Maytag.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 8:47:06 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 4/18/19 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
On 4/18/19 6:49 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/18/2019 7:44 PM, Frank wrote:
On 4/18/2019 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
Maytag *gas* oven modelÂ*Â* MGR5765QDB

We are having trouble with our Maytag electric range and it is due to
faulty control (clock) panel and sensor in the oven.Â* It was signaled
by an error code.Â* Unfortunately electronics have shorted the lives
of today's appliances.Â* Previous oven had similar problem and repair
only lasted a year so we are looking for a new one.

If I were to do the repair myself, I would go to youtube videos for
help.

I see clock, like mine, is an expensive part:

https://www.partselect.com/Models/MG...e=Range&Mark=3

Looking like our sensor from the video, this was first thing repairman
tried and it only lasted 3 weeks.Â* Now he wants to put in a clock..Â* No
thanks.

Thanks for the fast reply.

To start out I have now checked the sensor and it measures approx 1 K
ohm which should be normal.

looks like the main control which is about $235

If I replace it myself and that does not solve it I'm screwed.

It's 14 years old so maybe time for new.

Will sleep on this

Did not sleep long, a whole new oven is $400

looks like I might as well just replace it

IDK, is it really worth sinking $235 into a $400+ oven that's 14 years old?
And you're not 100% sure it's the control board, right?
I guess if it turns out it's not the board, you can sell it on Ebay
and get most of your money back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/19 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
On 4/18/19 6:49 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

They used to be a good name, I guess not any more.

Anyway the new one was pretty cheap
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/19 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
On 4/18/19 6:49 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Not worth the risk, the hell with it.

New one is ordered
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/19 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
On 4/18/19 6:49 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

That is what wife and I agreed. New will also probably have maybe a 5
year part warranty for peace of mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/19 7:19 PM, philo wrote:
On 4/18/19 6:49 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

That is what wife and I agreed.Â* New will also probably have maybe a 5
year part warranty for peace of mind.

The old ranges pre-electronic controls lasted almost forever.
At least my washer and drier still have the old mechanical timers.