Old April 15th 19, 11:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default damage to the undercarriage!

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 6:32:50 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 14:35:11 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 5:29:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 20:56:43 +0300, micky
wrote:

I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".

What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

I have never heard them say that. When I buy the insurance they always
tell me, no matter what happens I am covered. You should be since it
is such a rip off.

That's a good point. I almost never take the insurance and I never read
the fine print, but for what it costs, it really should cover undercarriage
damage too.

The insurance definitely doesn't cover the undercarriage. They are
specific and very clear. And there is no limit to how much one can be
charged for damage, though I don't think I did any damage.

One is also not permitted to drive on iirc an unpaved road, and there
are a lot of them here. Today the road started off unpaved but quite
flat, then there were a few ruts caused by water run-off. Then when I
left the park area, it was much worse, where the rain had eventually
washed away all the dirt and only rocks were left. A real challenge to
figure out which side of the road to drive on. I ended up driving 5
miles and almost a mile was just on rocks. It's a amazing the tires
hold up**.

The devil is in the details. Now that we know that, the undercarriage
exception is starting to make sense.

Old April 16th 19, 12:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2019 10:56 AM, micky wrote:
I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".

What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

In most cases your own car insurance should cover damage to a rental car
if you have collision coverage.

I once rented a car in Hawaii. The rental company insisted I should buy
the "CDW" insurance. I told them my insurance company covered it. They
insisted that I would have to pay them cash before I could leave Hawaii
if any damage occurred. I bought the coverage.

When I immediately called the state attorney generals office from my
hotel, the guy I talked to said "What are they going to do, send a goon
to the bank with you?." He asked me to write his office and the
insurance commissioners office with my complaint.

When I returned the car, I had extra time before the plane, so I hung
around their drop off point, and got 3 other people to sign that they
had also been told the same lies.

After writing them and my own state attorney general when I got home, I
received a letter from Alamo Rent a car with a check for what I had
paid. A couple years later, I received a copy of the new recently passed
rental car insurance regulations from Hawaii in which they increased
regulations of rental companies.
Old April 16th 19, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:40:56 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 4/15/2019 10:56 AM, micky wrote:
I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".
What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.
What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.
What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?
And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

In most cases your own car insurance should cover damage to a rental car
if you have collision coverage.

Be sure to read all the fine print !
My car insurance only covers rental cars in Canada & USA.
Even the premium credit card coverage has limitations -
example Ireland is excluded as are a few other countries.
John T.

Old April 16th 19, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2019 1:56 PM, micky wrote:
I rented a car and bought insurance..... Snip!

Generally, you auto insurance will cover a rental. You can call them to
confirm. I would never pay a rental extra insurance.
Old April 16th 19, 01:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".
What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.
What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.
What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?
And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

If you happen to damage the undercarriage - just activate the
collision or comprehensive clause of your insurance -
by hitting a tree or rolling it in the ditch .. or whatever -
- then you'd be fully covered ! No worries !
You're welcome.
John T.

That's an idea, all right, but I don't think it will work. The
insurance will pay for the damage that's not undercarriage (except for
the $500 deductible) but I'll still have to pay for the damage to the
undercarriage. Like I say, it's not covered by insurance.

But you will be in hospital, and your lawyers will be suing the
rental company for renting you an unsafe car - that had
undercarriage damage that caused the accident !
No worries ! You're welcome.
As an added bonus - you will have so much more time -
while in hospital - to post all your ideas here in Home Repair -
... why the little tubes are different colours ; or why they use
left-handed clipboards in Denmark, etc etc
John T.

Old April 16th 19, 01:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I rented a car and bought insurance, but even if I had zero-deductible,
it would not apply at all to the "undercarriage".

What is the undercarriage? The chassis and all the suspension parts?
The exhaust sysem? Dents from below in the floor panels.

What sort of damage can one do to the undercarriage? Other than
busting a ball joint, they seem pretty reliable.

What does one have to do to do that damage to the undercarriage?

I'm sure with your luck you will find out!! DON'T TAKE IT OFF-ROAD
and don't drive over kerbs - or hit big rocks. or drive over
un-identified stuff on the road (like pieces of truck tire)

And how hard do rental companies check whether there is undercarriage
damage? If it's not creaking when you drive in and not crawling
sideways, are you okay, or do they actually look underneath?

You going to take the chance????
Old April 16th 19, 01:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Sorry John T to Micky

I have Micky blocked so I did not see the original post.

Hitting something that is laying on the highway like: landscapers toolbox,
mufflers, truck tire treads, rocks, etc.

You could bust a half shaft, ruin a wheel or bearing or bend the tie rods
or...

Micky you are still the same way. You ask a question that you could get a
more accurate answer from another source-like your insurance agent.

He's got a knack for finding things out the easy way (by first hand
experience)
Old April 16th 19, 01:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 01:34:32 +0300, micky
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If I bought the CDW and I really believed that, if I did roll over a
boulder that tumbled off a mountain in front of me and I thought they
had undercarriage damage I would have to pay for. I would test the air
bags. Within that "total", I doubt the undercarriage damage would be
listed.
I beat the crap out of rental cars so I usually buy the insurance.
In South Dakota I put about 1300 miles on a 4wd Suburban on Forest
Service roads. (Every road on the Rapid City "green map")
They rented me a 4wd. Did they think I needed that to get from the
airport to Mt. Rushmore?
Old April 16th 19, 01:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Write the dang thing off and there is no "undercarriage damage".
Just make sure you do it on a paved road.