Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tire pressure

I don't remember if my car at home has tire-pressure monitoring but the
rental car does and of course the rental company gave me no information
about how to use it.

It seems to me that when the light goes on, and I add some air to one or
two tires that accept the air, even if I don't add enough, or maybe I
add too much, then I hold the button in until the light goes off, and
even if I have low pressure in a couple tires, even if the tires are
uneven, the light will go off and will stay off because I said that that
was okay. Is that right?

It seems very unreliable, especially since I didn't bring a tire
pressure gauge, and though you can set the pumps here to the desired
pressure, they don't seem to make any noise when filling or done
filling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/19 10:32 PM, micky wrote:
I don't remember if my car at home has tire-pressure monitoring but the
rental car does and of course the rental company gave me no information
about how to use it.

It seems to me that when the light goes on, and I add some air to one or
two tires that accept the air, even if I don't add enough, or maybe I
add too much, then I hold the button in until the light goes off, and
even if I have low pressure in a couple tires, even if the tires are
uneven, the light will go off and will stay off because I said that that
was okay. Is that right?

It seems very unreliable, especially since I didn't bring a tire
pressure gauge, and though you can set the pumps here to the desired
pressure, they don't seem to make any noise when filling or done
filling.

Call the 800 number on your rental your contract.

Or stop by a tie center and ask them

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/19 1:32 AM, micky wrote:
I don't remember if my car at home has tire-pressure monitoring but the
rental car does and of course the rental company gave me no information
about how to use it.

It seems to me that when the light goes on, and I add some air to one or
two tires that accept the air, even if I don't add enough, or maybe I
add too much, then I hold the button in until the light goes off, and
even if I have low pressure in a couple tires, even if the tires are
uneven, the light will go off and will stay off because I said that that
was okay. Is that right?

It seems very unreliable, especially since I didn't bring a tire
pressure gauge, and though you can set the pumps here to the desired
pressure, they don't seem to make any noise when filling or done
filling.

I'm told that you'll get better gas mileage if you air the tires up to 200 psi or so but never had a rental car to test that hypothesis on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2019 1:32 AM, micky wrote:
I don't remember if my car at home has tire-pressure monitoring but the
rental car does and of course the rental company gave me no information
about how to use it.

It seems to me that when the light goes on, and I add some air to one or
two tires that accept the air, even if I don't add enough, or maybe I
add too much, then I hold the button in until the light goes off, and
even if I have low pressure in a couple tires, even if the tires are
uneven, the light will go off and will stay off because I said that that
was okay. Is that right?

No, does not seem right. Mine goes on if a tire is low. Only way to
get it off is to add air to the tire. Pretty simple system and shows
which tire is low. In my case, it alarms at 28 psi.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

I don't remember if my car at home has tire-pressure monitoring but the
rental car does and of course the rental company gave me no information
about how to use it.

It seems to me that when the light goes on, and I add some air to one or
two tires that accept the air, even if I don't add enough, or maybe I
add too much, then I hold the button in until the light goes off, and
even if I have low pressure in a couple tires, even if the tires are
uneven, the light will go off and will stay off because I said that that
was okay. Is that right?

It seems very unreliable, especially since I didn't bring a tire
pressure gauge, and though you can set the pumps here to the desired
pressure, they don't seem to make any noise when filling or done
filling.

IMO, cars should never have had computer nonsense added. Wouldn't
a very basic, no computer new car be nice to buy...for so less
price too. People are way too spoiled these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2019 10:19 AM, Gary wrote:
micky wrote:

[...]

You don't need much for a quick trip to the store. On a long trip, I
really like the goodies. I listen to satellite radio with no
commercials, the temperature is where I want it without touching a
control, the navigation even shows me what lane to be in at the exit
ramp.

Yeah, I'm spoiled, but I'm worth it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

Truth. Also, never need to change points or distributor cap,
or use a timing gun. Plugs last 125,000+ miles or more (most people never need to
change them). Tires that last 50k to 75k miles. Cars that don't rust out in
five years. Much better gas mileage.

et cetera, et alia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

I put my timing light and dwell tack meter in the Good Will bag years
ago. I remember changing or cleaning spark plugs every 6 month and
changing oil maybe every thousand miles. My first new car, a '66
Chevelle, got 16 mpg on an interstate drive. Current car is getting 34
mpg all around mileage and that is with all wheel drive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 06:06:21 -0400, Max wrote:

On 4/15/19 1:32 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

At 200psi you definitely won't burn much gas - but you won't go very
far either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gary" wrote in message ...
micky wrote:

I don't remember if my car at home has tire-pressure monitoring but the
rental car does and of course the rental company gave me no information
about how to use it.

It seems to me that when the light goes on, and I add some air to one or
two tires that accept the air, even if I don't add enough, or maybe I
add too much, then I hold the button in until the light goes off, and
even if I have low pressure in a couple tires, even if the tires are
uneven, the light will go off and will stay off because I said that that
was okay. Is that right?

It seems very unreliable, especially since I didn't bring a tire
pressure gauge, and though you can set the pumps here to the desired
pressure, they don't seem to make any noise when filling or done
filling.

IMO, cars should never have had computer nonsense added.

Yes, you actually are that stupid. No ABS, having to fart
around when a sensor dies instead of the car telling you
which one has died. Having to fart around doing the
timing and points etc by hand again. No thanks.

Wouldn't a very basic, no computer new car be nice to buy...

Nope. And if you really want one, you are free
to buy an old one that has no computer in it.

for so less price too. People are way too spoiled these days.

Odd that you don't use a pencil and paper to communicate with too.

People are way too spoiled these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 09:42:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 4/15/2019 1:32 AM, micky wrote:
I don't remember if my car at home has tire-pressure monitoring but the
rental car does and of course the rental company gave me no information
about how to use it.

It seems to me that when the light goes on, and I add some air to one or
two tires that accept the air, even if I don't add enough, or maybe I
add too much, then I hold the button in until the light goes off, and
even if I have low pressure in a couple tires, even if the tires are
uneven, the light will go off and will stay off because I said that that
was okay. Is that right?

No, does not seem right. Mine goes on if a tire is low.

I'm sure at least one tire was low, and that the same tire was low the
second time.

Only way to
get it off is to add air to the tire.

But you also have to push a button on the dash, right?

Pretty simple system and shows
which tire is low.

Mine doesn't show which tire.

In my case, it alarms at 28 psi.

Okay, I got the manual for a 2017 Mazda2 and it says
'' To allow the system to operate correctly, the system needs to be
initialized with the specifed tyre pressure (value on the tyre pressure
label). Follow the procedure and perform the initialization.

Each tyre, including the spare (if provided), should be checked monthly
when cold
and inÀ ated to the inÀ ation pressure recommended by the vehicle
manufacturer on the
vehicle placard or tyre inÀ ation pressure label. (If your vehicle has
tyres of a different
size than the size indicated on the vehicle placard or tyre inÀ ation
pressure label, you
should determine the proper tyre inÀ ation pressure for those tyres.)

As an added safety feature, your vehicle has been equipped with a tyre
pressure
monitoring system (TPMS) that illuminates a low tyre pressure telltale
when one or
more of your tyres is signi¿ cantly under-inÀ ated. Accordingly, when
the low tyre
pressure telltale illuminates, you should stop and check your tyres as
soon as possible,
and inÀ ate them to the proper pressure.

Etc."

So, IMO, I'm right, the system is of no value for me because I don't
know when a tire is correctly inflated.

I will add an undertermined amount of air every time the light goes on
and when I return the car, I will tell them that the light went on 2 (or
more maybe by then) times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 03:23:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH the pathological idiot's latest troll****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2019 2:36 PM, micky wrote:

No, does not seem right. Mine goes on if a tire is low.

I'm sure at least one tire was low, and that the same tire was low the
second time.

Only way to
get it off is to add air to the tire.

But you also have to push a button on the dash, right?

No, just add air and the light will go off once above minimum pressure.
No resets, no buttons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In Ed Pawlowski writes:

Only way to
get it off is to add air to the tire.

But you also have to push a button on the dash, right?

No, just add air and the light will go off once above minimum pressure.
No resets, no buttons.

As we used to say back when Usenet and AFU were
a thing, "the world is a very big place".

Just because that's the way the TPMS on your car
works doesn't mean that's the way it works on his.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:44:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 4/15/2019 2:36 PM, micky wrote:

No, does not seem right. Mine goes on if a tire is low.

I'm sure at least one tire was low, and that the same tire was low the
second time.

Only way to
get it off is to add air to the tire.

But you also have to push a button on the dash, right?

No, just add air and the light will go off once above minimum pressure.
No resets, no buttons.

That would be nice.

I guess I have the cheap model.

But that's why it would be in their interest to explain what I'm
supposed to do. Another reason I'm not going to bother to ask them is
that I don't mind driving on a tire that is slightly low. The car still
handles the same. They are the ones suffering a little extra tire wear,
and I'm not going to chase them to find out how to fill the tires.

Actually, I reserved a the cheapest AT model they had, but they didnt'
have it when I landed, so they gave me the Mazda2, one or 1.5 levels
better, and said they'd call me in about a week to trade it in for the
really cheap one. They didn't so I wrote them and reminded them that I
was ready to go back to cheaper. I hope they remember that when I
return the car.

This car is supposed to carry 5 people. (The really cheap one carried
four, or course.) That means there is a head restraint in the middle of
the back seat, and at least once it kept me from seeing what was going
on in the car behind me. Plus I presume the car is a bit wider than the
really cheap car, and there are narrow streets clogged with cars and it
might be better to thave a narrower car.

Maybe by now all the cars have bluetooth** but that wasn't true last
year. The rental companies here keep cars for several years.

**I've gotten more calls while driving in the last 6 weeks, 5 or 6, than
in a whole year or two at home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:44:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/15/2019 2:36 PM, micky wrote:

No, does not seem right. Mine goes on if a tire is low.

I'm sure at least one tire was low, and that the same tire was low the
second time.

Only way to
get it off is to add air to the tire.

But you also have to push a button on the dash, right?

No, just add air and the light will go off once above minimum pressure.
No resets, no buttons.

The button is to CALIBRATE the system (to reset the preferred
pressure). Of coarse Micky will screw with it and then complain the
TPMS system doesn't work properly
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 14 Apr 2019 23:04:59 -0700, T
wrote:

On 4/14/19 10:32 PM, micky wrote:
I don't remember if my car at home has tire-pressure monitoring but the
rental car does and of course the rental company gave me no information
about how to use it.

It seems to me that when the light goes on, and I add some air to one or
two tires that accept the air, even if I don't add enough, or maybe I
add too much, then I hold the button in until the light goes off, and
even if I have low pressure in a couple tires, even if the tires are
uneven, the light will go off and will stay off because I said that that
was okay. Is that right?

It seems very unreliable, especially since I didn't bring a tire
pressure gauge, and though you can set the pumps here to the desired
pressure, they don't seem to make any noise when filling or done
filling.

Call the 800 number on your rental your contract.

The rental contract doesn't say anything about tires. They rent more
than one make and model of car, so if they are all similar, I'm asking
here. If they are all different, I doubt customer service will know
about my specific car. It's a Mazda 2.

I'm not in the US and there is no 800 number, but there is customer
service. Still I doubt they'll know about something as small as the
tire pressure, .

Also, I'm interested in how these things work in general, not just this
particular car

Or stop by a tie center and ask them

I've been here for weeks and haven't noticed any tire centers. There are
auto repair shops, but a good chance the mechanic won't speak English,
or if he does, not well enough to explain details of tire pressure.
He'll just say "Push the button.".
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Apr 2019 20:44:41 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:44:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/15/2019 2:36 PM, micky wrote:

No, does not seem right. Mine goes on if a tire is low.

I'm sure at least one tire was low, and that the same tire was low the
second time.

Only way to
get it off is to add air to the tire.

But you also have to push a button on the dash, right?

No, just add air and the light will go off once above minimum pressure.
No resets, no buttons.

The button is to CALIBRATE the system (to reset the preferred
pressure). Of coarse Micky will screw with it and then complain the
TPMS system doesn't work properly

You're so full of baloney.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/19 10:10 PM, micky wrote:
I've been here for weeks

Where?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 4/14/19 10:32 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

The tire pressure in Kpa will be listed on the sticker on the driver's
side door post.
Also, I'm interested in how these things work in general, not just this
particular car

Or stop by a tie center and ask them

I've been here for weeks and haven't noticed any tire centers. There are
auto repair shops, but a good chance the mechanic won't speak English,
or if he does, not well enough to explain details of tire pressure.
He'll just say "Push the button.".

The Mazda TPMS system is very basic (and somewhat brain-dead) in it's
function. However, getting information on uit's operation is SIMPLE
Google mazda 2 tpms. You will find something like this:

https://www.holidaymazda.com/blog/ho...da-tpms-light/

What should you inflate my Mazda tires to?

Every vehicle and even every Mazda is different, but luckily there is
an easy place you can go to reference what your tire pressure levels
should be. Open up your driver’s door and somewhere on the sill should
be a sticker that gives you a lot of information including what your
front and back tire pressures should be.

Remember, your TPMS light doesn’t tell you which tires are low, and
it’s possible that more than one is low. Check all four tires and
inflate them to the proper levels. If you over inflate, you can always
let a little air out usually with the backside of your tire pressure
gauge.

Turn the TPMS light off in your Mazda

Turning the light off is simple. All you have to do is hold in the
TPMS button typically located to the left of your steering wheel.
After holding it in for a few seconds, your car will let you know that
it’s reset with a beep, and then you can release.

Now you may be tempted to just turn the light off as soon as it comes
on, but do not do this. When you press the button, it resets the
sensors. So if one or more of your tires is underinflated when you
press the button, it will use the new reading as a baseline.

This means you could run your tire pressures dangerously low without
even getting a notification. For your own safety, and for the fuel
efficiency of your car and longevity of your tires, always check your
tire pressure and inflate them properly before resetting your TPMS
light.

Also. google Mazda 2 tire inflation pressure and you will find
https://www.carsguide.com.au/mazda/2/tyre-pressure
which shows you the sill sticker and also states "This tyre placard
recommends a minimum tyre pressure of 33psi for the 2016 Mazda2 Genki
hatch. This is equal to 230kPa and 2.3 bar."

The average 10 year old could figure this out!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:44:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/15/2019 2:36 PM, micky wrote:

No, does not seem right. Mine goes on if a tire is low.

I'm sure at least one tire was low, and that the same tire was low the
second time.

Only way to
get it off is to add air to the tire.

But you also have to push a button on the dash, right?

No, just add air and the light will go off once above minimum pressure.
No resets, no buttons.

The button is to CALIBRATE the system (to reset the preferred
pressure). Of coarse Micky will screw with it and then complain the
TPMS system doesn't work properly

You're so full of baloney.

OK - I was wrong on one point. The "brain dead" Mazda system needs
to have the button pushed to shut off the light - but I WAS RIGHT in
that the button also RECALIBRATES the system to whatever pressure the
tires are at when the button is pushed. I have just posted in a
am also 100% positive of my assessment of your part in the whole saga.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 16:44:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/15/2019 2:36 PM, micky wrote:

No, does not seem right. Mine goes on if a tire is low.

I'm sure at least one tire was low, and that the same tire was low the
second time.

Only way to
get it off is to add air to the tire.

But you also have to push a button on the dash, right?

No, just add air and the light will go off once above minimum pressure.
No resets, no buttons.

The button is to CALIBRATE the system (to reset the preferred
pressure). Of coarse Micky will screw with it and then complain the
TPMS system doesn't work properly

He will calibrate himself into stratosphere.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

T posted for all of us...

On 4/15/19 10:10 PM, micky wrote:
I've been here for weeks

Where?

Hopefully, far away...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/19 1:07 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Hopefully, far away...

How does the saying go? Be careful how you treat your
children. They will be the ones choosing your rest home.
Think of a facility thousands of miles away AND YOU WILL
GET YOUR OWN ROOM!

Be fun to know where he is residing.

Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer oldjag Metalworking 19 November 29th 19 12:18 AM
OT? Weigh your car by checking tire pressure? Wes[_2_] Metalworking 7 September 23rd 07 10:42 PM
OT? Weigh your car by checking tire pressure? Newshound Metalworking 0 September 23rd 07 07:49 PM
Hand Truck Tire Pressure??? [email protected] Metalworking 1 July 29th 05 08:27 AM
Wheelbarrow Tire Pressure SQLit Home Repair 14 June 10th 05 08:32 AM