Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Police detectors to warn mobile phone-using drivers (UK)

Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers using
devices at the wheel.

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the technology to
show when motorists are using their phones.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their mobile
- but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or passenger using the
phone.

The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore flash to
alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.

If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will
recognise this and not flash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

If it stops just one death, it has to be a good thing.
--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bod wrote

Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers using
devices at the wheel.

Nope, to find a mobile phone being used in the car. It can't
work out whether its being used by the driver or a passenger.

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the technology to
show when motorists are using their phones.

Nope, see above.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their mobile -
but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or passenger using the
phone.

So is a complete wank.

The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore flash to
alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.

If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will
recognise this and not flash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

If it stops just one death,

It won't.

it has to be a good thing.

Even sillier that you usually manage, and thats saying something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 15:44:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers using
devices at the wheel.

Nope

LOL

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the technology to
show when motorists are using their phones.

Nope

LOL

Take your meds, you abnormal 85-year-old trolling senile asshole!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bod wrote:
Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers using devices at the wheel.

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the technology to
show when motorists are using their phones.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their mobile -
but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or passenger using the phone.

The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore flash to
alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.

If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will
recognise this and not flash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

If it stops just one death, it has to be a good thing.

Have to remember phones talk to base by itself for location regardless.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers using
devices at the wheel.

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the technology to
show when motorists are using their phones.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their mobile -
but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or passenger using the
phone.

The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore flash to
alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.

If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will
recognise this and not flash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

If it stops just one death, it has to be a good thing.

Have to remember phones talk to base by itself for location regardless.

But easy to distinguish between that and voice calls and texts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:21:54 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Have to remember phones talk to base by itself for location regardless.

But easy to distinguish between that and voice calls and texts.

Sooo? What's your senile argument?

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/19 1:22 AM, Bod wrote:
Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers using devices at the wheel.

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the technology to show when motorists are using their phones.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their mobile - but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or passenger using the phone.

The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore flash to alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.

If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will recognise this and not flash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

If it stops just one death, it has to be a good thing.

A local texting driver wrapped her bumper around a power pole. The 7kv line broke and dropped on her car.Â* She had to sit there in her car for 30 minutes while power company turned the power turned off.Â* Unfortunately, the airbag saved her life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2019 6:33 AM, Teresa Maynot wrote:
On 4/12/19 1:22 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

She was lucky. One girl was killed in a head on on the road in back of
my house. Last week another 18 yer old was killed going off the road
and rolling over. No seatbelt too.

It is just dumb to text but some people think they are good at it and no
problem. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2019 11:33, Teresa Maynot wrote:
On 4/12/19 1:22 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

You're a sick person ;-)

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/19 1:22 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

my house.Â*Â* Last week another 18 yer old was killed going off the road
and rolling over.Â* No seatbelt too.

It is just dumb to text but some people think they are good at it and no
problem. .

Indeed.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:21:54 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

How about the data dumps the car does? These days that link is being
used for a lot more than just phone calls and texts. I was reading an
article in one of my electronic trade rags that says we ain't seen
nothing yet. The protocol is in place for virtually constant
communication between cars and all sorts of things, feeding real time
information to and from your on board computers.
Personally I think I want to find that antenna and cut the wire or
wrap the antenna in aluminum foil. I don't even carry a phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/19 8:02 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

She was lucky. One girl was killed in a head on on the road in back of
my house.Â*Â* Last week another 18 yer old was killed going off the road
and rolling over.Â* No seatbelt too.

It is just dumb to text but some people think they are good at it and no
problem. .

Maybe they're good at it, but just not that particular time. That's
still bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

Indeed, the entire thing is completely hare brained.
And what the satnav is doing as well.

These days that link is being used for a lot more than just
phone calls and texts. I was reading an article in one of my
electronic trade rags that says we ain't seen nothing yet.
The protocol is in place for virtually constant communication
between cars and all sorts of things, feeding real time
information to and from your on board computers.

Particularly with the satnav.

Personally I think I want to find that antenna and
cut the wire or wrap the antenna in aluminum foil.

I don't, I find the satnav alone is very convenient.
I was doing a run into our state capital by car
with me supposed to catch the train back to
my home town and it was interesting to watch
google maps using the traffic data to update
the arrival time. It was spot on. The stupid
thing on the mate's Nokia was way out and
never got updated on the arrival time.

I don't even carry a phone.

Mad. We now coordinate the garage/yard sale run
on the phone, normally talking to each other for the
full couple of house between waiting for the first one
to open and the last one to finish and being able to
tell each other about extra ones that didn't bother
to advertise in the local paper for $40 and didn't
use facebook to advertise it, just put a sign on the
street power or light pole etc. I have my own local
facebook group where I post all the ads from the
local paper and the local buy sell swap groups
and where anyone can post their garage/yard sale
ad and update that as they open etc. The paper
discourages advertisers from including the
street number so they don't get people showing
up the day before while they are setting up etc.
So I add the street number when that becomes
obvious when it opens.

Google maps on the phone does a hell of a lot better
than the dedicated satnavs in the car etc do too,
particularly with the traffic information and where
a serious car crash has produced a traffic jam etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 04:45:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH senile asshole's senile troll****

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 04:45:27 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

I don't use nav in the car either. I know where I am going and if I
don't I will look at a map.
Kids there used to be these things called maps ;-)
I lived "connected" during pretty much all of my working life (24/7)
and now I like being off the grid.
I don't want to be constantly available and I certainly don't need
some woman in my car telling me where to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 04:45:27 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

Mad, satnav leaves maps for dead.

Kids there used to be these things called maps ;-)

I used them before satnavs showed up and satnavs leave them for dead.

I lived "connected" during pretty much all of my
working life (24/7) and now I like being off the grid.

Mad when out driving.

I don't want to be constantly available

Don't have to be and still use it for what it does best.

and I certainly don't need some woman
in my car telling me where to go.

Stupid to use a physical map now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/19 1:22 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the air bag prevented Darwin from working his magic.

--
Get off my lawn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:48:51 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

Maybe you just can't look at a map and remember where you are going.
Around here I could draw a map. I worked 15 years on the road around
here and I know where things are.
I think we have become dumber as a society because we depend too much
on technology.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 12:23:00 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers using
devices at the wheel.

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the technology to
show when motorists are using their phones.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their mobile
- but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or passenger using the
phone.

The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore flash to
alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.

If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will
recognise this and not flash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

If it stops just one death, it has to be a good thing.
--
Bod

---

that's a great idea.

Drivers using cell phones are as distracted as drunk drivers.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/19 1:22 AM, Bod wrote:
Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers
using devices at the wheel.

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the
technology to show when motorists are using their phones.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their
mobile - but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or
passenger using the phone.

The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore flash
to alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.

If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will
recognise this and not flash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

If it stops just one death, it has to be a good thing.

A local texting driver wrapped her bumper around a power pole. The
7kv line broke and dropped on her car. She had to sit there in her
car for 30 minutes while power company turned the power turned off.
Unfortunately, the airbag saved her life.

You're a sick person ;-)

Sounds like the air bag prevented Darwin from working his magic.

According to the recall notices I keep getting my airbag will kill me if
it ever actuates. One of these days I'll take the car in but I think it
just affects the passenger side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:48:51 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 04:45:27 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

Corse I can and did before satnavs showed up.

Around here I could draw a map.

Irrelevant to whats most useful in places you arent familiar with.

I worked 15 years on the road around
here and I know where things are.

Pity about where you havent done that.

I think we have become dumber as a society
because we depend too much on technology.

You're wrong about that too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A K" wrote in message
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 12:23:00 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
Mobile phone detectors are to be used by police to find drivers using
devices at the wheel.

The Thames Valley and Hampshire forces are rolling out the technology to
show when motorists are using their phones.

A sign will flash at the driver telling them to stop using their mobile
- but the detectors cannot tell if it is a driver or passenger using the
phone.

The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore flash to
alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.

If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will
recognise this and not flash.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

If it stops just one death, it has to be a good thing.

that's a great idea.

Bull**** it is when it can't work out whether it
is the driver or a passenger using the phone.

Drivers using cell phones are as distracted as drunk drivers.

Thats a lie too. Most drivers using a phone while driving
are no more distracted than when talking to a passenger and
are much less distracted than with unruly brats in the car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:39:52 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

news
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 04:45:27 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

If you need a nav to find a place where you have the address, either
your addressing scheme is ****ed up or you don't understand it.
The reality is, I don't go that many places that I don't know how to
get to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 20:26:43 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 04/12/2019 11:03 AM, wrote:
How about the data dumps the car does? These days that link is being
used for a lot more than just phone calls and texts. I was reading an
article in one of my electronic trade rags that says we ain't seen
nothing yet. The protocol is in place for virtually constant
communication between cars and all sorts of things, feeding real time
information to and from your on board computers.

I swear my next new (to me) car will be a 1960 Valiant. I understand the
225 ci slant six pretty well.

My 97 Honda has the perfect amount of electronics.
The ABS controller, fuel injection and an MP3 player.

Only for a luddite dinosaur. Its useful to have a decent
OBD2 system that tells you when a sensor has failed
so you can just replace it with a high certainty of being
the fault etc. And handy for all but luddite dinosaurs
to have Apple Carplay and Google Auto so that its
easy to have your phone use the main dash screen
and handy to have a decent dash screen so you can
see the various stuff that you want to have it show too.

Handy to have full 360 cameras for parking instead
of farting around with external mirrors for that and
to make it much easier to see see where the corners
are when parking, particularly with the modern small
cars which slope the front down so fast that even
a tall person cant see any of it when sitting in the
drivers seat. And to have those cameras act as
dashcams all around when the car is moving
and as surveillance cameras when its parked too.
And to be a reversing camera so you don't run
over little kids when backing etc.

The VW Golf even has a fancy system which helps
with reversing a small trailer when none of the trailer is
visible out the back window, particularly when its empty.

And a decent cruise controls which keeps a specified
distance from the car in front and which allows you
to specify that distance by speed so that it still works
when inching forward in a traffic jam and when tearing
along the freeway etc.

Also handy to keep track of fuel consumption and
the fuel level so you can see at a glance how far you
can go till you need to fill again and ideally show you
the petrol stations in front of you that you can make
it to and the price they are selling petrol for too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:39:52 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:48:51 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

news:5ug1be9cc5u6ipee173ff2b69a0dv6kn2i@4ax. com...
wrote:

"gregz" wrote in message
Bod wrote:
[...]

Or its much more convenient to say 'hey siri go to 24 Jones Ave' and
have it tell you every turn and route you around traffic congestion
than to fart around with a paper map, luddite dinosaur.

The reality is, I don't go that many places that I don't know how to
get to.

Even just 1 or two a year is worth doing the right way when its free,
luddite dinosaur.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:48:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,

Mad, satnav leaves maps for dead.

Kids there used to be these things called maps ;-)

I used them before satnavs showed up and satnavs leave them for dead.

I lived "connected" during pretty much all of my
working life (24/7) and now I like being off the grid.

Mad when out driving.

I don't want to be constantly available

Don't have to be and still use it for what it does best.

and I certainly don't need some woman
in my car telling me where to go.

Stupid to use a physical map now.

Yeah, psychopathic senile asshole from Oz, keep teaching those Yanks how to
do things properly! tsk

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:39:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,

You're wrong about that too.

LOL Of COURSE, you self-important, self-opinionated, abnormal senile
asshole! tsk

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:07:33 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Even just 1 or two a year is worth doing the right way when its free,
luddite dinosaur.

Yeah, CONTINUE teaching those Yanks how to do things properly! LMAO!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 10:00:59 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

I've told them of quite a few map errors

Of course, senile asshole! You got NOBODY ELSE to talk to!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:04:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH another load the senile troll's troll****

....and much better air in here again!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:59:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

that's a great idea.

Bull**** it is

LOL The resident senile Ozzietard knows it ALL better ...AGAIN and AGAIN and
AGAIN! LOL

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13/04/2019 03:02, A K wrote:
[...]

Glad you can see the sense in it.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message
On 13/04/2019 03:02, A K wrote:
[...]

There is no sense in it when it can't even work out if the driver
is using it or a passenger is. And its a bare faced pig ignorant
lie that using a phone is as bad as being a drunk driver.