Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVCcleaner

When working/repairing pvc pipe is it really necessary to use the blue pvc cleaner? Please advise Herb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 11:16:50 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

When working/repairing pvc pipe is it really necessary to use the blue pvc cleaner? Please advise Herb

I vote yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/11/2019 2:16 PM, wrote:
When working/repairing pvc pipe is it really necessary to use the blue pvc cleaner? Please advise Herb

Do you mind if it leaks? Yes, you get a better joint if you do it the
right way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When working/repairing pvc pipe is it really necessary to use the blue pvc cleaner? Please advise Herb

You can use the clear in the yellow can but if it is being inspected
they want to see a little purple ring on the pipe at the joint. The
cleaner/primer does make the joint much stronger. It breaks the
surface oxidation and allows the cement to penetrate better,

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/the-g...er-debate.html

Couple of things. I assume these tests were done at room temp. IMO, too
many tests at room temp, none at min and max temp. I think min is ~40F?
Solvent could have a more significant effect at temp extremes, perhaps
at low end. And what kind of pipe? Brand new PVC? Or twenty year old
PVC that your are patching onto? Nice and clean? Or with some dirt on
it? Yeah, we know it's supposed to be clean, but we all know what happens
anyway. That solvent is loaded with acetone and you can see it melting
the plastic, so any old surface, some dirt is going to get taken off
and at least distributed around the joint, leaving fresh PVC exposed.
The glue itself is thicker and seems less likely it's going to work past
old PVC, dirt, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 9:48:26 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
Couple of things. I assume these tests were done at room temp. IMO, too
many tests at room temp, none at min and max temp. I think min is ~40F?

I wondered about that too. I've done some work in a cold basement. Even in the summer early in the morning it can be chilly.

What was really interesting was the time it took to develop full strength. Those tests showed 24 hours, while most people (including me) assume these joints are strong pretty much as soon as they set. I would think in cold temperatures the strength would develop even more slowly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 10:52:53 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 9:48:26 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
Couple of things. I assume these tests were done at room temp. IMO, too
many tests at room temp, none at min and max temp. I think min is ~40F?

I wondered about that too. I've done some work in a cold basement. Even in the summer early in the morning it can be chilly.

What was really interesting was the time it took to develop full strength.. Those tests showed 24 hours, while most people (including me) assume these joints are strong pretty much as soon as they set. I would think in cold temperatures the strength would develop even more slowly.

I think the cement cans say something like can be handled in X mins,
OK for X lbs pressure at 2 hours.... IDK what the exact numbers were
but I know it said something like that. And also I think that was at
room temperature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 08:00:54 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

That is what the blue is for. It sets in 10 minutes or so.
Most guys doing repairs use that.
One thing they didn't address is the "cleaning" part. If that pipe has
"been around" the surface needs a good scrubbing, particularly if it
was underground but just being out in the light makes them get a
chalky coating. (like in that outside bay at Lowes/HD where they store
it before it comes inside).
Virtually all trade suppliers store it outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2019 10:52 AM, TimR wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 9:48:26 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
Couple of things. I assume these tests were done at room temp. IMO, too
many tests at room temp, none at min and max temp. I think min is ~40F?

I wondered about that too. I've done some work in a cold basement. Even in the summer early in the morning it can be chilly.

What was really interesting was the time it took to develop full strength. Those tests showed 24 hours, while most people (including me) assume these joints are strong pretty much as soon as they set. I would think in cold temperatures the strength would develop even more slowly.

Cure is essentially solvent evaporation which would be slower at lower
temperatures. Solvent slowly diffuses through the PVC. Odor may remain
a long time after the joint is about as strong as it is going to get.