Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommendations for a storage shed kit?

Can anyone recommend a quality storage shed kit?
Looking for something around 9ftx16ft.
I don't want to build from scratch because I think it would take too long to make all the cuts and get all the parts. I wouldn't mind putting together a kit , but have read some horror stories on reviews of kits delivered with significant damage, missing parts, badly warped wood, etc.
All advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

Another advantage is if you bevel the deck beam ends like skis you can
drag the shed to another location. Not that anybody ever wished they'd
build the shed someplace other than where it is...

I've moved both of my garden sheds 8 x 8 9 x 12 board & batten
all by myself - jack & roll easy as pie.
And hardly a mark in the lawn.
When I built them, I just copied what was on display at the local
lumber yard.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A lot depends on what state you are in and what the building code
says.

Local building code is such that as long as I put the shed on blocks (i.e. not a poured concrete foundation floor slab), it doesn't count as a structure that requires inspection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Be careful how you build.

Where I live, if sheds have footings and a concrete floor, the square footage is calculated and the structure is taxed at the same rate as a house.Â* OTOH, build a pressure-treated floating deck and then build a shed on top of that and you'll avoid
additional property taxes

Yes, same for me. Therefore, shed will be raised on 4-6 (or however many needed) individual concrete blocks. No poured floor slab. No foundation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you have enough room to do a tilt up? (need wall height and a little more in all directions)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/26/2019 01:21 PM, TimR wrote:
Do you have enough room to do a tilt up? (need wall height and a little more in all directions)

What are you tilting up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/26/2019 01:21 PM, TimR wrote:
Do you have enough room to do a tilt up? (need wall height and a little
more in all directions)

What are you tilting up?

Concrete walls poured locally.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

You are obviously like a dog who needs to **** in ANY thread just so he can
smell his own **** in as many places as possible, senile Rot!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/26/2019 10:47 PM, Jac Brown wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/26/2019 01:21 PM, TimR wrote:
Do you have enough room to do a tilt up? (need wall height and a
little more in all directions)

What are you tilting up?

Concrete walls poured locally.

that sounds like a 'hold my beer and watch this' moment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/26/2019 01:21 PM, TimR wrote:
Do you have enough room to do a tilt up? (need wall height and a
little more in all directions)

What are you tilting up?

Concrete walls poured locally.

that sounds like a 'hold my beer and watch this' moment.

Most of the single story commercial building is done that way
here, by people paid quite a bit more than the minimum wage.
A few houses too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/26/2019 01:21 PM, TimR wrote:
Do you have enough room to do a tilt up? (need wall height and a
little more in all directions)

What are you tilting up?

Concrete walls poured locally.

that sounds like a 'hold my beer and watch this' moment.

Most of the single story commercial building is done that way
here, by people paid quite a bit more than the minimum wage.
A few houses too.

On something as small as a shed you could probably DIY.

There is also ICF construction but you'd need to hire a concrete truck to pour, I would think.

Either one would give you a very solid shed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/26/2019 01:21 PM, TimR wrote:
Do you have enough room to do a tilt up? (need wall height and a
little more in all directions)

What are you tilting up?

Concrete walls poured locally.

that sounds like a 'hold my beer and watch this' moment.

Most of the single story commercial building is done that way
here, by people paid quite a bit more than the minimum wage.
A few houses too.

On something as small as a shed you could probably DIY.

Yeah, the problem is tho with sheds they arent very often
sited with the full wall height of space beside each wall.

There is also ICF construction but you'd need
to hire a concrete truck to pour, I would think.

Hardly anyone mixes concrete with a mixer
anymore, even for stuff like a driveway.

Either one would give you a very solid shed.

Yeah and ICF would work well in places with cold
winters and here with stinking hot summers. We
can get 10 days in a row over 100F and this
summer had 3 of those. Not much fun in a shed
that isnt well insulated on days like that,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 04:02:58 +1100, Jac Brown, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

FLUSH senile troll****

02:58 am AGAIN? LMAO So, why can't you sleep in, you clinically insane
senile nutter? I mean, you do it EVERY DAY! Is it because this here is the
ONLY place where you can keep talking to people without them being able to
run away from you, you senile pest? BG

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 05:01:18 +1100, Jac Brow, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

winters and here with stinking hot summers. We
can get 10 days in a row over 100F and this
summer had 3 of those. Not much fun in a shed
that isnt well insulated on days like that,

Obviously your head suffered from several heat strokes, senile Rot!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/26/2019 01:21 PM, TimR wrote:
Do you have enough room to do a tilt up? (need wall height and a
little more in all directions)

What are you tilting up?

Concrete walls poured locally.

that sounds like a 'hold my beer and watch this' moment.

Most of the single story commercial building is done that way
here, by people paid quite a bit more than the minimum wage.
A few houses too.

I've never seen it. I'm not arguing, just saying I haven't seen the
technique.

http://tiltup.com/

"Tilt-up construction allows general contractors to build a wide range
of commercial buildings more quickly and with lower construction costs
than what is typical for traditional masonry construction projects.
Texas, California and Florida are currently the most popular states for
tilt-up concrete construction. In northern states with more severe
winter climates, Precast concrete buildings are more popular."

That explains a lot since I've lived my life in the north, but I haven't
seen precast around here either.

https://slate.com/business/2018/03/t...-go-wrong.html

Few bugs to work out for bridge construction, I guess. In one of my
freshman classes at college they showed a film of the Tacoma Narrows
bridge as an object lesson in how not to do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, ours is mostly like your south/texas etc.

https://slate.com/business/2018/03/t...-go-wrong.html

Few bugs to work out for bridge construction, I guess.

Yeah, we had one of those ourselves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Gate_Bridge#Collapse

In one of my freshman classes at college they showed a film of the Tacoma
Narrows bridge as an object lesson in how not to do it.

Yeah, I have recently watched an entire series on the most
famous bridges around the world. Pretty spectacular failure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
[...]

As your article says, Florida loves tilt up. It is a fast way to get
to the wind code. They were in love with Y Tong concrete for a while
but it went away just as fast. I am not sure what happened there.
That is interesting stuff (air entrained) it floats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 14:30:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Yeah, I have recently watched an entire series on the most
famous bridges around the world. Pretty spectacular failure.

TV, yes! That's where you lonely forsaken senile asshole get all your senile
"education" from (also your imaginary "mates" whose stories you keep
re-telling on Usenet)! LOL

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 3/28/2019 10:44 PM, Jac Brown wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/27/2019 10:27 PM, wrote:
As your article says, Florida loves tilt up. It is a fast way to get
to the wind code. They were in love with Y Tong concrete for a while
but it went away just as fast. I am not sure what happened there.
That is interesting stuff (air entrained) it floats.

I wonder if you could adapt it to ferro-cement boat building?

Cant see that working because of the curved hull required.

Not convinced it would work for a barge either, hard to
do the joints.

Duh, its been done
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_ship

http://www.concreteships.org/ships/ww2/

I wasn’t talking about concrete ships, of course those have been don’t.
I was talking about push up concrete slabs for walls, can't see that
working for a normal ship or even a barge for the reason I stated.

But with 20/20 hindsight when not so early in the morning,
he may have been talking about YTong concrete that floats.
Not convinced about that either because those blocks are
autoclaved and its hard to see how you would make a
viable boat out of concrete blocks. The mortar between
block doesn’t glue the blocks together, its actually just
a way of bedding the edges so they don’t rock or leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 03/27/2019 10:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

I suppose I might be able to find a picture but I know a core drilled
piece from a Ytong wall floated in my pool. This **** feels like white
pine.