DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lubricants (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/633038-lubricants.html)

[email protected] March 18th 19 07:57 PM

Lubricants

What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] March 18th 19 08:04 PM

Lubricants

On 3/18/2019 3:57 PM, wrote:
What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

Silicone spray

trader_4 March 18th 19 08:04 PM

Lubricants

On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 3:57:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

I use silicone spray, if needed, for that. But decent, modern windows
and sliding doors really shouldn't need it.

Scott Lurndal March 18th 19 08:22 PM

Lubricants

writes:
What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

White lithium.

Oren[_2_] March 18th 19 08:23 PM

Lubricants

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 16:04:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/18/2019 3:57 PM, wrote:
What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

Silicone spray

Teflon spray

Clean the tracks and R/R rollers that are damaged.

Clare Snyder March 18th 19 08:34 PM

Lubricants

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 20:22:32 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

White lithium.

NOT white lithium - it cakes and holds dirt.

Are the windows vinyl, aluminum or wood?

Generally patio doors should NOT be lubed - they run on rollers on a
track. If they get stiff it is often because of bad rollers - or dirt
buildup on the tracks due to grease buildup.

Whatever you use on windows needs to be compatible with whatever
plastics are part of the window mechanism (The solvent in some
silicone sprays can adversely affect the plastic pivots on some vinyl
windows - don't ask how I know!!!!!

Oren[_2_] March 18th 19 08:45 PM

Lubricants

wrote:

writes:
What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

White lithium.

Huh? Attract more dirt and dust and complicate the window/door
operator movement.

Try again, Jr.

Frank[_24_] March 18th 19 11:09 PM

Lubricants

wrote:

writes:
What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

White lithium.

NOT white lithium - it cakes and holds dirt.

Are the windows vinyl, aluminum or wood?

Generally patio doors should NOT be lubed - they run on rollers on a
track. If they get stiff it is often because of bad rollers - or dirt
buildup on the tracks due to grease buildup.

Whatever you use on windows needs to be compatible with whatever
plastics are part of the window mechanism (The solvent in some
silicone sprays can adversely affect the plastic pivots on some vinyl
windows - don't ask how I know!!!!!

A caution I would give too. Quick look at safety data sheets for WD30,
silicone and Teflon showed all to use aliphatic hydrocarbons which do
not dissolve PVC but there are numerous common solvents that do and some
of these sprays might contain them.

I have had to caution my wife about sprays on our Trex deck. Someone
told me that his wife sprayed suntan lotion on their grandson standing
on their Trex deck and ended up with foot outlines etched into the deck.

Bob F March 19th 19 04:22 AM

Lubricants

On 3/18/2019 12:57 PM, wrote:
What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

Wax? Rub the sliding surfaces with a candle.

Clare Snyder March 19th 19 04:48 AM

Lubricants

On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 21:22:39 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 3/18/2019 12:57 PM, wrote:
What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

Wax? Rub the sliding surfaces with a candle.

That's why I asked what kind of window. Soap works great on wooden
windows. So does wax. Neither work well on vinyl (at least not candle
wax) A good caraubu auto wax can work well on vinyl.

trader_4 March 19th 19 12:39 PM

Lubricants

On 3/18/2019 12:57 PM, wrote:
What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

Wax? Rub the sliding surfaces with a candle.

That's why I asked what kind of window. Soap works great on wooden
windows. So does wax. Neither work well on vinyl (at least not candle
wax) A good caraubu auto wax can work well on vinyl.

Caribou are such cute, gently animals. That you Canadians grind them up
and make them into auto wax is despicable.

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= March 21st 19 06:04 PM

Lubricants

posted for all of us...

What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

I use Tri-Flow, it does not attract dirt.

--
Tekkie