Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 20 tons of gravel

Â* Well , crushed rock to be more precise . Had it delivered today by
the county , I'll be billed later but the agreed on price was very
reasonable . Unfortunately the rain got too heavy before i finished
spreading it with Rusty the Tractor . This will be the parking pad for
our camper , later an RV if I can convince . But that's just the
beginning , I'm building a "carport" structure to shelter the camper/RV
from the weather - 12 feet clear height and approximately 11'4" clear
sideways and 30 feet long . I plan to park the Harleys under it too . I
priced the metal carport structures , by the time I get the height and
size I want it's over 2500 bucks from the local . I can build it myself
for less than half that with materials from the local lumber yard . Hmmm
, I haven't priced steel structural members , might be cheaper than
lumber . A task for tomorrow , tonight I'm drinkin' whiskey .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 17:22:52 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

[...]

What kind of whiskey?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Â* Evan Williams 86 proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey . Sour Mash
and Smewth .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/19 6:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 3/13/2019 5:31 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 17:22:52 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

Â*Â* Well , crushed rock to be more precise . Had it delivered today by
[...]

Not a bad bottom shelf bourbon mind you- but smooth? Not. It burns like
blazes going down;-)

--
Nigerian authorities found a man dead in his apartment along with 16
billion dollars stored there. Apparently he had been trying to give it
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Â*Â* Evan Williams 86 proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey . Sour
Mash and Smewth .

Not a bad bottom shelf bourbon mind you- but smooth? Not. It burns
like blazes going down;-)

Â* Smoother 'n Jack . And yer a snob . Pthhhhht

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
[...]

How is it that the county delivers crushed rock to you rather than a private
hauler?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2019 8:09 PM, catalpa wrote:
[...]

Â* I don't know the politics of it , just that if you ask nicely the
county road maintenance dept will haul gravel and crushed rock for the
cost of the material . I'll be billed at the end of the month .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/13/2019 04:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Don't do like they do in San Antonio and build carports out of 2x2's and
corrugated fiberglass panels. They're great if the only load is sunlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Gotta be better than J.W.Dant. My father in law bought that **** by the
case. Before I got tangled up with him I favored One W Harper. After a
gallon or two of J.W. I gave up on bourbon entirely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

,
tonight I'm drinkin' whiskey .

How is it that the county delivers crushed rock to you rather than a
private
hauler?

I don't know the politics of it , just that if you ask nicely the county
road maintenance dept will haul gravel and crushed rock for the cost of
the material . I'll be billed at the end of the month .

OK, that is very gracious of them to do that.

That doesn't and can't happen around here, not only for legal reasons, but
it would get abused and out of control real fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/2019 8:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Â* I'm thinking 6x6 corner posts with 4x4 intermediates . All braced
with diagonals at the top . I'm not nearly as concerned with snow load
as I am with wind resistance . I'll only have the roof and maybe a
short(narrow?) piece at the top . This may eventually be closed in so I
have to keep that in mind too .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 6:22:52 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Well , crushed rock to be more precise . Had it delivered today by
the county , I'll be billed later but the agreed on price was very
reasonable . Unfortunately the rain got too heavy before i finished
spreading it with Rusty the Tractor .

Congrats! That's what I got for an anniversary present in 2006. We
rented a front-end loader to spread it around, but right up close
to the building it was me and a bow rake, while he drove the loader.
Didn't seem quite fair.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/13/19 9:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Very attractive; does a lot for property values in the neighborhood too.

I heard that the fiberglass supplier is required to throw in 4 concrete
blocks so you can store a wheels-off 1970's junk car in your front yard;-)

--
You miss 100% of the shots you dont take.
- Wayne Gretzky

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hey, if I was a snob, I'd be drinking a cutesie over-priced
designer-label single malt Scotch that comes in a fancy box or a
cardboard tube with a gold tassel.

I was in a liquor store the other day and saw some dipstick actually
pick one of those up and take it to the checkout. He didn't get much
change back from the C-note and the fifty he laid on the counter!

--
I think of myself as a man's man. I like my whiskey neat, my steaks rare
and my Pop-Tarts untoasted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/14/2019 9:17 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 6:22:52 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Well , crushed rock to be more precise . Had it delivered today by
the county , I'll be billed later but the agreed on price was very
reasonable . Unfortunately the rain got too heavy before i finished
spreading it with Rusty the Tractor .

Congrats! That's what I got for an anniversary present in 2006. We
rented a front-end loader to spread it around, but right up close
to the building it was me and a bow rake, while he drove the loader.
Didn't seem quite fair.

Cindy Hamilton

Â*And it wasn't fair at all ! He should have done the hand work too if
it was really a gift .

This has turned out better than I expected . The ground is very wet ,
and the spot I wanted the load dropped is a bit unlevel (which is why I
needed the gravel ...) , so he couldn't drop it precisely where I needed
it . So about a third or maybe half that load got "tailgated" (tailgate
chained to a small opening , dumping/spreading it as he drove) up my
driveway . I wasn't sure if what I had left to work with was going to be
enough to level the parking spot , but it has turned out well . I still
need to check it with a laser level to make sure it's pitched the way I
want it , but eyeballin' it I think it's close . Now the real work
begins , I've got 8 post holes to dig by hand . At least I won't have to
mix concrete by hand , I bought a mixer when I poured the cellar floor .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 6:20:32 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 3/14/2019 9:17 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 6:22:52 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Well , crushed rock to be more precise . Had it delivered today by
the county , I'll be billed later but the agreed on price was very
reasonable . Unfortunately the rain got too heavy before i finished
spreading it with Rusty the Tractor .

Congrats! That's what I got for an anniversary present in 2006. We
rented a front-end loader to spread it around, but right up close
to the building it was me and a bow rake, while he drove the loader.
Didn't seem quite fair.

Cindy Hamilton

Â*And it wasn't fair at all ! He should have done the hand work too if
it was really a gift .

The gravel was a gift. It was one of those "some assembly required"
gifts.

This has turned out better than I expected . The ground is very wet ,
and the spot I wanted the load dropped is a bit unlevel (which is why I
needed the gravel ...) , so he couldn't drop it precisely where I needed
it . So about a third or maybe half that load got "tailgated" (tailgate
chained to a small opening , dumping/spreading it as he drove) up my
driveway . I wasn't sure if what I had left to work with was going to be
enough to level the parking spot , but it has turned out well . I still
need to check it with a laser level to make sure it's pitched the way I
want it , but eyeballin' it I think it's close . Now the real work
begins , I've got 8 post holes to dig by hand . At least I won't have to
mix concrete by hand , I bought a mixer when I poured the cellar floor .

I'm glad it turned out well. Keep us posted.

Cindy Hamilton