Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Holding a pole up with only one cable?

My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a supporting cable, but only one. Obviously the wind doesn't always come from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and the prevailing wind here is SW). Same thing is observed on telephone poles. Any explanation? Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so it's always leaning one way?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one.* Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW).* Same thing is observed on telephone
poles.* Any explanation?* Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

With phone and electric poles the strainers oppose the net force of the
cables, whether it's the end of a run or a sharp corner.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 14:10:55 -0000, Bill Wright wrote:

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one. Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW). Same thing is observed on telephone
poles. Any explanation? Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

With phone and electric poles the strainers oppose the net force of the
cables, whether it's the end of a run or a sharp corner.

Ah, that makes sense. So in a straight line the pole is ok, but on a corner it's getting yanked too much one way.

I think in my neighbour's case, as the chimney comes through the roof, there isn't room to attach a wire anywhere else, I suppose he might have something else inside the roof counteracting it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 13:44:50 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson",
"Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.), the pathological
resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs, blathered again:

FLUSH the abnormal sociopathic attention whore's latest idiotic
attention-baiting bull**** unread again

--
about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his **** is so grand he has the right to
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 14:10:55 +0000, Bill Wright, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

With phone and electric poles the strainers oppose the net force of the
cables, whether it's the end of a run or a sharp corner.

Bill

....and troll-feeding senile idiot no.1 appeared to take the Scottish
******'s latest idiotic bait! BG

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one.* Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW).* Same thing is observed on telephone
poles.* Any explanation?* Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

With phone and electric poles the strainers oppose the net force of the
cables, whether it's the end of a run or a sharp corner.

Ah, that makes sense.* So in a straight line the pole is ok, but on a
corner it's getting yanked too much one way.

I think in my neighbour's case, as the chimney comes through the roof,
there isn't room to attach a wire anywhere else, I suppose he might have
something else inside the roof counteracting it.

Sometimes chimneys are guyed or otherwise braced only to prevent them
falling in the direction that would be most dangerous or destructive.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one.* Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW).* Same thing is observed on telephone
poles.* Any explanation?* Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

Are you sure it's a cable and not a rigid rod/pipe that braces the flue?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's a point - there's a glass roofed conservatory below it. Falling onto roof tiles probably wouldn't damage much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:45:31 -0000, Robin wrote:

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one. Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW). Same thing is observed on telephone
poles. Any explanation? Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

Are you sure it's a cable and not a rigid rod/pipe that braces the flue?

I can't see from this far away. Are you suggesting it can take a force in more than one direction? Even if it can, it would only be push and pull, not sideways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2019 9:44 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a supporting cable, but only one.* Obviously the wind doesn't always come from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and the prevailing wind here is SW).* Same
thing is observed on telephone poles.* Any explanation?* Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so it's always leaning one way?

Did it ever occur to you to ask your neighbor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:30:19 +0000, Bill Wright, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Sometimes chimneys are guyed or otherwise braced only to prevent them
falling in the direction that would be most dangerous or destructive.

Bill

Sometimes a miserable senile idiot like you can't get enough of sucking the
unwashed Scottish ******'s cock! tsk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:45:31 +0000, Robin, another mentally challenged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, driveled:

Are you sure it's a cable and not a rigid rod/pipe that braces the flue?

....and troll-feeding senile idiot no.2 appeared who couldn't resist taking
the attention-starved Scottish ******'s latest idiotic bait! BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 17:06:10 -0400, Bod F, another brain-damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Did it ever occur to you to ask your neighbor?

Why should he, when he can have so much fun asking all you senile idiots on
these groups, knowing that you a few of you will ALWAYS run along to suck
him off, time and again! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 21:06:10 -0000, Bod F wrote:

On 3/10/2019 9:44 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a supporting cable, but only one. Obviously the wind doesn't always come from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and the prevailing wind here is SW). Same
thing is observed on telephone poles. Any explanation? Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so it's always leaning one way?

Did it ever occur to you to ask your neighbor?

A) It's a weird thing to go round and ask.
B) Nobody likes him.
C) He's my neighbour, not my neighbor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:45:31 -0000, Robin wrote:

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one.* Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW).* Same thing is observed on telephone
poles.* Any explanation?* Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

Are you sure it's a cable and not a rigid rod/pipe that braces the flue?

I can't see from this far away.* Are you suggesting it can take a force
in more than one direction?* Even if it can, it would only be push and
pull, not sideways.

Maybe there is a second solid brace you can't see. That would
make a triangle.
Those are pretty solid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Same thing is observed on telephone
poles.* Any explanation?* Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

The weight of the cables puts an assymetric laod on the poles near the
end of long cable runs

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 01:26:11 -0000, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:45:31 -0000, Robin wrote:

On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one. Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW). Same thing is observed on telephone
poles. Any explanation? Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so
it's always leaning one way?

Are you sure it's a cable and not a rigid rod/pipe that braces the flue?

I can't see from this far away. Are you suggesting it can take a force
in more than one direction? Even if it can, it would only be push and
pull, not sideways.

Maybe there is a second solid brace you can't see. That would
make a triangle.
Those are pretty solid.

If there's anything else it's under the roof tiles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Yes back in the old days you could often see men in vans going around
tightening up these cables. I assume the wire that ran between poles also
had some kind of steel component to make sure it had the strength.
As for chimneys etc, theat is a whole other issue.
Sounds a bit like a bodge!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 10/03/2019 13:44, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a
supporting cable, but only one. Obviously the wind doesn't always come
from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and
the prevailing wind here is SW). Same thing is observed on telephone
poles. Any explanation? Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so it's
always leaning one way?

With phone and electric poles the strainers oppose the net force of the
cables, whether it's the end of a run or a sharp corner.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 11/03/2019 02:03, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

If the support is split between above and below the roof then it implies
significant stiffness in the pipe itself. Which if true suggests it does
not need an external cable.
I suspect it was installed for largely cosmetic reasons rather than for
sound engineering principles.
If it does eventually fall down the cable will probably stop it crashing
to the ground and causing personal injury ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 20:26:11 -0500, Dean Hoffman, another obviously mentally
challenged troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

Maybe there is a second solid brace you can't see.

Maybe the Scottish ****** is just an attention-starved troll, which you,
like some other seniles, can't see because of your senility.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 09:33:46 +0000, Bob Minchin, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

If the support is split between above and below the roof then it implies

....yet another mentally challenged senile idiot who doesn't get what's going
on! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 21:06:10 -0000, Bod F wrote:

On 3/10/2019 9:44 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a supporting cable, but only one.* Obviously the wind doesn't always come from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and the prevailing wind here is SW).* Same
thing is observed on telephone poles.* Any explanation?* Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so it's always leaning one way?

Did it ever occur to you to ask your neighbor?

A) It's a weird thing to go round and ask.

Seems you are afraid of him.* Why?

B) Nobody likes him.

Why the hate?

C) He's my neighbour, not my neighbor.

Old English is really ****ed up.* The sensible way to spell it is "nābər".

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 07:08:37 -0400, Bod F, another brain-damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Old English is really ****ed up.* The sensible way to spell it is "nābər".

There's NO sensible way that sociopathic asshole and ******, you insensible
troll-feeding senile idiot! tsk
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 01:36:59 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Same thing is observed on telephone poles.* Any explanation?* Is

the
pole put in at a bit of an angle so it's always leaning one way?

The weight of the cables puts an assymetric laod on the poles near the
end of long cable runs

Though coming from the weight the tension in a phone line is much
higher to get a shallowish catenery so the line doesn't flail about
too much in the wind. It's really only poles at the end of a line or
where the line sharply changes direction that have assymetric forces.
With poles roughly equally spaced and in a row the forces balance
out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 08:43:45 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I assume the wire that ran between poles also had some kind of steel
component to make sure it had the strength.

Dropwire No.10 has two copper pairs and 3 brassed steel strainer
wires and a very tough polyethylene jacket.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 11:20:20 AM UTC-4, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 08:43:45 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I assume the wire that ran between poles also had some kind of steel
component to make sure it had the strength.

Dropwire No.10 has two copper pairs and 3 brassed steel strainer
wires and a very tough polyethylene jacket.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Yes, but that is drop wire. The high voltage wires between poles, don't have steel for support, just the conductor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 09:33:46 -0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

It does look quite stiff, but it's a tall chimney and there could be a fair force on it from wind, which they won't want transferred to where it's attached to the stove, which could cause a leak of fumes into the house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 11:08:37 -0000, Bod F wrote:

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 21:06:10 -0000, Bod F wrote:

On 3/10/2019 9:44 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
My neighbour has a tall chimney (for a wood burning stove) with a supporting cable, but only one. Obviously the wind doesn't always come from that direction (in fact the cable is to the SE of the chimney, and the prevailing wind here is SW). Same
thing is observed on telephone poles. Any explanation? Is the pole put in at a bit of an angle so it's always leaning one way?

Did it ever occur to you to ask your neighbor?

A) It's a weird thing to go round and ask.

Seems you are afraid of him. Why?

No, I just think it's weird to knock on the door of someone you don't know and ask an odd and inquisitive question about his house.

B) Nobody likes him.

Why the hate?

He breeds dogs, which make a lot of noise, then has the cheek to complain about every little thing that others do. The smoke from that chimney has now ****ed off even more folk (not me, I like the smell).

C) He's my neighbour, not my neighbor.

Old English is really ****ed up. The sensible way to spell it is "nābər".

Sounds like Arabic.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 01:36:59 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Same thing is observed on telephone poles. Any explanation? Is

the
pole put in at a bit of an angle so it's always leaning one way?

The weight of the cables puts an assymetric laod on the poles near the
end of long cable runs

Though coming from the weight the tension in a phone
line is much higher to get a shallowish catenery so the
line doesn't flail about too much in the wind.

That isnt what happens here. Where the phone line isnt
underground, its on the power poles and the power lines
are the problem. We don't have any catenery with our
phone lines. Even the much older aerial phone lines seen
in rural areas run by themselves have no catenery at all.

It's really only poles at the end of a line or where the line sharply
changes direction that have assymetric forces. With poles
roughly equally spaced and in a row the forces balance out.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 04:24:31 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

That isnt what happens here.

Where's "here"? In Ozzieland? Then **** off to an Ozzie newsgroup, senile
idiot! No, wait, they actually chased you obnoxious cretin away from there!
LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

4 pole to 3 pole Extension Cord. [email protected] Home Repair 14 January 5th 07 08:16 PM
Single pole or double pole? F UK diy 3 June 28th 06 12:42 AM
Light switch 3 pole and 2 pole helpme Home Repair 11 February 14th 06 12:57 AM
Supply 2 Pole,3 Pole Gas Tube Surge Arresters,Gas Discharge Tube,(Ceramic Surge Arresters [email protected] UK diy 2 February 11th 06 02:51 PM
AC shaded pole single phase induction pole motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 April 29th 05 04:37 AM