Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happened to the gas station air suppplies that a I liked.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 04:46:14 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 1:03:30 AM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The U.S. banking system is the dinosaur.

True, weird that the country that invented the credit card
manages to have the crudest card system around even now.

Tho admittedly you don't see to many using those
machines which put the card on a multi sheet piece
of paper and sort of run the handle over the card so
it prints the car details onto the paper slips anymore.

I bet quite a few places still have those under the cash register in
case their computer connection is down.

One giant leap for you lot.

You lot still use checks much more than most now too.

On average, yes. The devil's in the details, though. I write
a check for my property taxes because the township charges a
fee for either credit cards or EFT. Some contractors are
easier to pay with checks. Other than that, I mainly use
credit cards for anything over $10 and cash for anything under $10.
My arbitrary limit. I just feel like a fool whipping out the
plastic for a loaf of bread.

I use my CC at the grocery store for everything but they are smart
enough to let you stick the card in as soon as the first item is
scanned and it is usually stored before they get the first item in the
bag. You can put the card away. We also don't sign. The card is faster
than watching them make change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 12:41:20 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 23/02/2019 12:25, wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 2:08:07 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 8:29:35 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
micky wrote:

The fancy one that I tried first and last took credit cards, had a

Seriously - a CREDIT CARD SLOT - for a tire air pump?!

This 21st century SUCKS.

Not if you don't bother with coins anymore.

And you don't swipe the card in the slot anymore,
you wave it at the machine, dinosaur.

The U.S. banking system is the dinosaur.

True, weird that the country that invented the credit card
manages to have the crudest card system around even now.

The standard credit card comes with a chip
that must be inserted into the reader,

Most do in fact do contactless now.

Lucky you.

and a magnetic strip for readers than aren't equipped to use the chip.

Ours still do have magnetic strips, but the terminals
now tell you to insert the card so it can read the chip
if you try swiping it. The swipe slot is just there for when
you dinosaurs show up with chipless cards as tourists.

At least for my biased sampling, card readers on gas pumps don't
have a chip reader. Nor do they have any real authentication mechanism,
except for typing in your postal (ZIP) code. Some of them have RFID
readers for the gas station's own brand of credit card, but not for
generic VISA or MasterCard.

No pin. Credit card companies recently decided a signature
is not required, but most merchants still require a signature.

Yeah, weirdly primitive.

The rumor is that they thought Americans were too dumb to learn another
PIN.

The UK has used contactless Debit cards (up to £30) for a few years

now and plastic banknotes.

Question: Has the USA already changed to plastic banknotes?

Nope -and they still have their "pennies" too - and paper dollars.

Here in Canada all bills are "plastic" and only 05, .10, .25, 1.00
and 2.00 coins. No penies and no bills under $5.00

Same in Australia except we have a 20c and 50c coin instead of a 25c coin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/02/2019 18:16, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 14:17:43 +0000, Bod wrote:

micky wrote:

[...]

Cindy Hamilton

--
Bod

---

No, I've never seen plastic currency. Last time I was in Europe, maybe
7 years ago, Euros were still all paper too. Must be a bitch to fold.

Lol, indeed.

Actually the "polymer" bills fold just fine and don't wrinkle like a
cheap shirt.

Ours seem to like staying folded :-)

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 8:29:35 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed
wrote:
wrote
micky wrote:

[...]

So do the plastic ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not every store is like that. At Market Basket you have to wait until
the order is checked out to put your card in.. Just seems so ancient
and inefficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ain't that the sad truth!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 8:29:35 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed
wrote:
wrote
micky wrote:

[...]

have a chip reader.Â* Nor do they have any real authentication
mechanism,
except for typing in your postal (ZIP) code.Â* Some of them have RFID
readers for the gas station's own brand of credit card, but not for
generic VISA or MasterCard.

No pin.Â* Credit card companies recently decided a signature
is not required, but most merchants still require a signature.

Yeah, weirdly primitive.

The rumor is that they thought Americans were too dumb to learn
another
PIN.

Cindy Hamilton

Â*Â* The UK has used contactless Debit cards (up to £30) for a few
years
now and plastic banknotes.

Question: Has the USA already changed to plastic banknotes?

--
Bod

---

No, I've never seen plastic currency.Â* Last time I was in Europe,
maybe
7 years ago, Euros were still all paper too.Â* Must be a bitch to fold.

Lol, indeed.
Â*Â* Actually the "polymer" bills fold just fine and don't wrinkle like a
cheap shirt.

Ours seem to like staying folded :-)

So do the plastic ones.

Ours are plastic.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Talking about being occupied with the CC thing, years ago I used one of
those DIY checkouts at a local supermarket. It was the kind that had a
belt that takes the stuff away to further away from you, by the bags
While I was working scanning
and then paying, someone took one of the items I had just paid for!
I don't remember what it was, it wasn't super expensive, but not just
a buck or two either. The supermarket replaced it for me. I have to
think whoever did it knew what they were doing too, that it wasn't an
accident.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/23/2019 11:15 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 04:49:07 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 7:41:07 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 10:26:52 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 15:04:32 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 4:24:59 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 11:37:44 -0500, gm wrote:

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 06:11:59 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 8:28:42 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Angelica... wrote: "
I disagree. Installation and maintenance of the equipment for filling
tires costs money.

Of course, the gas station could offer free air as a marketing ploy.

Cindy Hamilton "

Then explain why air for tires at stations was free going
back to almost the second world war. What changed during
the last 15 years?

More than 15 years, I think. I can't recall when air was free.

My guess would be that margins at gas stations have gotten
very slim. They make most of their money on the crap they
sell in the convenience store. It's a way to make a little
money from people who don't buy the Big Gulp.

Cindy Hamilton

I bet you will find these are usually installed and serviced by a 3d
party. The mechanic at the old time gas station could usually keep
them running but the 3d world cashier at the mini mart can barely run
the cash register.
Nor can the spoiled white boy or for that matter half the
politicians in the country, regardless of political affiliation.

Leave color out of it, Clare! Blue skin, white skin, black, orange, polka dots - we're all living beings! Our **** all smells the same - like ****.

We're talking about something that a LOT of us grew up with - free air at most garages and some fuel-only stations, during their operating hours.
"I" didn't bring up color. Some other a-hole said "the 3d world
cashier at the mini mart can barely run the cash register. " and I
just corrected him sayin pretty much what you said - color has
nothing to do with it. Don't get your knickers in a knot.

In some cases, color has a lot to do with it. For example, used to be
that you could take a cab ride in NYC

There's your first mistake.

Cindy Hamilton

You sayin' if you want a cab ride to the bronx you're likely to end
up somewhere in Jersey???

Nah, the cabbie got to the Bronx but he might as well have been in
Patterson for all he knew. I believe there used to an exam to show basic
competence with the local streets but in NYC I don't know if that went
beyond the borough in question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/23/2019 11:16 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Actually the "polymer" bills fold just fine and don't wrinkle like a
cheap shirt.

Any problem with solvents?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 05:49:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Lol, indeed.
Actually the "polymer" bills fold just fine and don't wrinkle like a
cheap shirt.

Ours seem to like staying folded :-)

So do the plastic ones.

The senile Ozzietard missed the point, again! LOL

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2019 2:34 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/23/2019 11:16 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
* Actually the "polymer" bills fold just fine and don't wrinkle like a
cheap shirt.

Any problem with solvents?

Googles says polypropylene is used which would not be a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 05:33:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Here in Canada all bills are "plastic" and only 05, .10, .25, 1.00
and 2.00 coins. No penies and no bills under $5.00

Same in Australia except we have a 20c and 50c coin instead of a 25c coin.

So NOT the same, senile idiot! tsk

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 1:29:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I use my CC at the grocery store for everything but they are smart
enough to let you stick the card in as soon as the first item is
scanned and it is usually stored before they get the first item in the
bag. You can put the card away. We also don't sign. The card is faster
than watching them make change.

Mine is the same way, except that if I have coupons, I don't stick the
card in until the coupons have been processed. It's a hassle to have that
corrected after the total is sent to the bank.

However, if I just stop in for one thing that I unexpectedly ran out of
(or don't have when I've decided to try some unusual recipe), I usually
pay cash.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote:
On 2/19/2019 4:08 PM, micky wrote:
Whatever happened to the gas station air outlets where there was a red
box on a thick post with a crank on the side that let you set the air
pressure in big numbers, and it rang as the air went in and stopped
ringing when the tire was at the indicated pressure?

Do they still have these. I couldnt' find one.

One or two of my tires needed air.

One or two? How did you finally work that out?
LOL

I carry a bicycle floor pump in my van. It has
a head that contains both Schrader valve size
and Presta valve size. It has a built-in pressure
gauge. From time to time I get a low tire warning
light in my van so I use the floor pump to inflate
the tires to the proper pressure and the warning
light extinguishes. 45 psi for the back tires and
40 psi for the front tires.

--

Everybødy here likes Yøurs Truly,
Gregøry Hall - Bømbastic Løudmøuth øf the Søuth
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 1:29:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I use my CC at the grocery store for everything but they are smart
enough to let you stick the card in as soon as the first item is
scanned and it is usually stored before they get the first item in the
bag. You can put the card away. We also don't sign. The card is faster
than watching them make change.

Mine is the same way, except that if I have coupons, I don't stick the
card in until the coupons have been processed. It's a hassle to have that
corrected after the total is sent to the bank.

However, if I just stop in for one thing that I unexpectedly ran out of
(or don't have when I've decided to try some unusual recipe), I usually
pay cash.

Mad, it makes more sense to use the card or the phone for
everything and not have to bother with cash at all, ever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 08:37:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Mad,

You indeed are, you 85-year-old, obnoxious, senile troll!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:19:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

We

"We", AGAIN??? There's no "we" for you, you obnoxious quarrelsome senile
pest! It's the VERY reason why you NEED to troll on Usenet, as people there
can't as easily get away from you as they do in real life!

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/19 4:46 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

I almost hate it when I go to Lowes and buy only a 5 or 10 dollar item
and put it on a card for that month. Then they have to send me a bill
by mail. I pay by electronic banking. Probably costs them more for the
letter than the profit they may make.

The smallest amount I've ever put on a credit card is $1.07 when I
bought a root beer float at Sonic. There was a CC reader right there and
it was outside at my car, so making change would be awkward.

BTW, it would be much simpler if it was exactly a dollar (instead of 99
cents with tax).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The activities engaged in by the Christian Coalition...were a vital
part of why we had a revolution at the polls on November 8, 1994." [Newt
Gingrich]
Posted to alt.checkmate,alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.gooks

Checkmate! In article ,
says...

¤
[...]

Why don't you buy a compressor? Real men own compressors.

--
Checkmate ®
Copyright © 2018

Author, Humorist, Cynic
Philosopher, Humanitarian
Poet, Elektrishun to the Stars
Usenet Shot-Caller

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017

"There are many here among us,
who feel that life is but a joke."

kensi." -Nadegda
"People just submitted it ... I don't know why ...
They 'trust me' ... dumb ****s." -Mark Zuckerberg

"You can be unethical and still be legal that's the
way I live my life." -Mark Zuckerberg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 12:34:33 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/23/2019 11:16 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Actually the "polymer" bills fold just fine and don't wrinkle like a
cheap shirt.

Any problem with solvents?

None you are going to have in your pockets -

Amyl Acetate, Amyl Chloride, and high octane av gas . carbon
tet,gasoline and chlorophorm have mild effects - at high temperatiure
chloroform will damage them - as will things like nitric acid.

A LOT more chemically resistant than cotton rag paper on the whole
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:09:00 PM UTC-6, micky wrote:
Whatever happened to the gas station air outlets where there was a red
box on a thick post with a crank on the side that let you set the air
pressure in big numbers, and it rang as the air went in and stopped
ringing when the tire was at the indicated pressure?

Do they still have these. I couldnt' find one.

One or two of my tires needed air. Paid 1.50 last week at a fancy one
that took credit cards and beeped when the pressure one chooses is
reached. Nothing came out. Convenience store gave me back my 1.50. 3
days later, device has "Out of Order" sign on it. Today no sign but a
guy just starting to vacuum his car. Went to another station, no
controls on the device, just a slot for 4 quarters and one of those
nozzles that tell the pressure on a brass rod that pops out of the valve
when you stop squeezing the lever. Cloudy day, won't be able to see
what it says, don't like having to stop over and over to see what the
pressure is, go to next station. Same device. 3 more stations, all
have the same device.

Back to the first station, no one ahead of me Put in 1.50, set the dial
to 40. Do a little bit and the dial keeps going back to 32, the
default (doesn't beep when it does that). Set it to 40, still don't
hear air going into the tire, don't see tire firming up.

Finally go home and do it with a Black & Decker pump, that I got used.
Took 10 or 15 minutes but at least it worked.

There are still a few around.

Many stopped offering free air because people were running over the hose costing money to repair.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 8:21:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 3:44:26 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/23/2019 3:20 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 1:29:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I use my CC at the grocery store for everything but they are smart
enough to let you stick the card in as soon as the first item is
scanned and it is usually stored before they get the first item in the
bag. You can put the card away. We also don't sign. The card is faster
than watching them make change.

Mine is the same way, except that if I have coupons, I don't stick the
card in until the coupons have been processed. It's a hassle to have that
corrected after the total is sent to the bank.

However, if I just stop in for one thing that I unexpectedly ran out of
(or don't have when I've decided to try some unusual recipe), I usually
pay cash.

Cindy Hamilton

Coupons should make no difference, The charge should not go until the
sale is complete.

The sale is complete when the cashier presses "enter". If he's
forgotten to scan the coupons, then I have to go to the service desk
with my receipt and coupons.

No signature or other authentication is required at my grocery store.

Cindy Hamilton

That's how it works here too, coupons come at the end. The store discounts
with the store shopper card come off as the item is scanned, as long as you
have given them the card at the beginning. Then coupons come off at the end.
I recently had what you're talking about happen for the first time. The
cashier didn't take off a coupon. I didn't catch it until I had left the
checkout, so I had to go to the service desk. I wondered what they would do,
as I had no proof I had given the coupon, though it would still be in the
bag the cashier puts it in. It was just for a buck or two, they just gave
me the cash, no investigation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 05:19:24 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 6:52:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 12:20:12 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 1:29:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I use my CC at the grocery store for everything but they are smart
enough to let you stick the card in as soon as the first item is
scanned and it is usually stored before they get the first item in the
bag. You can put the card away. We also don't sign. The card is faster
than watching them make change.

Mine is the same way, except that if I have coupons, I don't stick the
card in until the coupons have been processed. It's a hassle to have that
corrected after the total is sent to the bank.

Why don't you give them the coupons first. The register remembers what
coupons you enter and what you bought, no matter what order they were
presented, same for Bogos and other matched items.

The register won't take the coupon until the item is scanned. It's
much easier to wait until the end and then process all the coupons
at once, rather than to watch the scanning and present the coupon
after the item is scanned.

Cindy Hamilton

There is no hardware/software reason why that is true, at least not in
the supermarket POS systems IBM sold. That was one of the selling
points. It may just be a store policy. Obviously if you didn't buy the
product, the coupon goes in the bit bucket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps this is not an IBM POS system. The thing simply refuses a coupon
if the corresponding item has not already been scanned.

It probably saves trouble from people who didn't get the discount to which
they thought they were entitled. I get quite a few that say "50 cents off
two". If I only bought one, the POS system rejects the coupon, and I do
a facepalm.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That would be my theory too. They just hold the coupons until the end to
apply them, one by one and see if they are accepted. And when they aren't
I'm usually the one next in line when the whole thing stalls, waiting for
a manager.

I told the story in another thread, where some lady in her sixties ahead of
me shut the line down. She bought a steak that cost $12.55 that had 30%
or whatever off for folks with the store card. The register showed it as
$12.55, followed by -$3.65 or whatever. She kept going round and round
asking where it showed how much the steak cost, while the cashier kept
saying, it's right here, $12.55 minus $3.65. Manager to register six!
This supermarket has been doing it the same way for decades, others do
the same thing. She's probably mad that she got a smaller tax refund this
year, never mind that she paid less in taxes. Some days IDK how the country
survives, we probably are nearing the end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Because those fools are irrelevant to survival.

we probably are nearing the end.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and thats saying something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 08:19:16 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Some days IDK how the country survives,

Because those fools are irrelevant to survival.

Indeed you are, you irrelevant bigmouthed senile fool!

we probably are nearing the end.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that¢s saying something.

An even sillier troll from you than you usually manage, senile Rot, and
that's saying something!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/19 8:06 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

That's how it works here too, coupons come at the end. The store discounts
with the store shopper card come off as the item is scanned, as long as you
have given them the card at the beginning. Then coupons come off at the end.

It's like that at the Kroger I go to too.

I recently had what you're talking about happen for the first time. The
cashier didn't take off a coupon. I didn't catch it until I had left the
checkout, so I had to go to the service desk. I wondered what they would do,
as I had no proof I had given the coupon, though it would still be in the
bag the cashier puts it in. It was just for a buck or two, they just gave
me the cash, no investigation.

One day recently I bought a $2 candy bar at that grocery store. When the
checker finished she put my groceries in the same cart I was using in
the store. After getting home, I found out that candy bar had not been
checked. Some may not believe it, but I went back to the store (about a
mile away) and paid for that candy bar. I like that store, and maybe I
wanted to be different.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins"
are invented nonsense." Robert A. Heinlein. Contributed by Larry Reyka.