Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What happened to the gas station air suppplies that a I liked.

Mark Lloyd wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And you dont swipe the card in the slot anymore,
you wave it at the machine, dinosaur.

In about 2005, I had an American Express card that worked that way. For
some reason, they removed that feature.

Yeah, the worst of your card systems are surprisingly
dinosaury given that you lot invented the credit card.

No one else allows mag stripe swiping
anymore, not even in the wilds of africa etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

What's with this calling everyone 'dinosaurs' just because
they may not be using the highest tech of the moment?

It isnt just not the highest tech of the moment,
its almost the most primitive card system
around that everyone else, even in the wilds
of africa, has abandoned now.

If I'm a "dinosaur" then you must be a 'Millennial'.

Nope, I'm older than you.

(ouuuch!)

Why are you stabbing yourself, dinosaur ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The U.S. banking system is the dinosaur.

True, weird that the country that invented the credit card
manages to have the crudest card system around even now.

Tho admittedly you don't see to many using those
machines which put the card on a multi sheet piece
of paper and sort of run the handle over the card so
it prints the car details onto the paper slips anymore.

One giant leap for you lot.

You lot still use checks much more than most now too.
I used to keep one unused check in my wallet in case
I ever needed it. Well over a decade after the last check
I wrote, I got new pads for my swamp cooler from one
old dinosaur who is the main seller of swamp pads in
my town who would only accept cash and checks. The
unused check was pretty battered by then with me
sitting on it in my wallet for so long, and he was pretty
dubious about it, but did accept it. It cashed fine.

You can somewhat blame the sensationalistic media who
were telling us anyone walking down the street could read
the information off of an RFID or other wireless credit card.

That doesn't explain why chip and pin was so slow coming to america.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 15:32:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I disagree. Installation and maintenance
of the equipment for filling tires costs money.

Of course, the gas station could offer free air as a marketing ploy.

Then explain why air for tires at stations was free
going back to almost the second world war.
What changed during the last 15 years?

It became easier to do coin operated machines.

FLUSH troll****

Trust that senile Rot WILL have the explanation ...like he has for
EVERYTHING ...and I mean, really EVERYTHING! LMAO

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 17:07:55 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

What services do YOU supply free of charge to people who may not even
be your customers?

You only have to ask and I will help anyone who asks, for free.

FLUSH yet more of the troll's usual ****

I strongly assume that you assume that you are not yet in Snyder's killfile,
senile Rot. Or why didn't you use your newest nym, "Steven Jones", you
abnormal obnoxious senile Ozzie pest? BG

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:36:07 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 2/22/2019 6:56 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 8:29:35 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
micky wrote:

The fancy one that I tried first and last took credit cards, had a

Seriously - a CREDIT CARD SLOT - for a tire air pump?!

This 21st century SUCKS.

Not if you dont bother with coins anymore.

And you dont swipe the card in the slot anymore,
you wave it at the machine, dinosaur.

The U.S. banking system is the dinosaur. The standard credit card
comes with a chip that must be inserted into the reader, and a
magnetic strip for readers than aren't equipped to use the chip.

No pin. Credit card companies recently decided a signature is
not required, but most merchants still require a signature.

Cindy Hamilton

Banks are doing well also. Used to be, you paid cash for normal expenses
and use the CC for the big items like the surprise of a big car repair or
appliance. Now I see people swiping for a coffee so the bank gets a couple
of pennies.

I resisted for a long time, but when the CC offers me 5% back at the
grocery store, I take it.

I didnt, I have always used the latest technology as soon as it was
available

We know, you've proudly been telling it everyone for as long as you've been
around, you mindlessly consuming senile piece of Ozzie ****!

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:52:54 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Nope, I'm older than you.

You are sicker than anyone here, you ****ed up 85-year-old, nym-shifting,
trolling, senile asshole!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 17:03:16 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

True, weird that the country that invented the credit card
manages to have the crudest card system around even now.

Tho admittedly you don't see to many using those
machines which put the card on a multi sheet piece

How would you know, you driveling senile piece of Ozzie ****, you do NOT
live in the US? You simply keep spouting bull**** off the cuff from your old
people's home in Australia about EVERYTHING!

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 16:44:59 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

In about 2005, I had an American Express card that worked that way. For
some reason, they removed that feature.

Yeah, the worst of your card systems are surprisingly
dinosaury given that you lot invented the credit card.

No one else allows mag stripe swiping
anymore, not even in the wilds of africa etc.

Obviously it works for them, you endlessly bull****ting senile Ozzie
asshole!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rod Speed wrote: "Nope, I'm older than you."

Hmm. Guess I'm more conservative than I
give myself credit for! I just don't like seeing
things messed with that don't need messing
with, know what I mean? I'm late forties by
the way.

So, Mr. old guy, you must be into newer music
than I am, along with those new wave-your-card
credit machines? And changing the whole way
TV is broadcast so folks have to buy new sets?

Biggest scam since the Federal Reserve....
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

The fancy one that I tried first and last took credit cards, had a

Seriously - a CREDIT CARD SLOT - for a tire air pump?!

This 21st century SUCKS.

Not if you dont bother with coins anymore.

And you dont swipe the card in the slot anymore,
you wave it at the machine, dinosaur.

The U.S. banking system is the dinosaur.

True, weird that the country that invented the credit card
manages to have the crudest card system around even now.

The standard credit card comes with a chip
that must be inserted into the reader,

Most do in fact do contactless now.

Lucky you.

and a magnetic strip for readers than aren't equipped to use the chip.

Ours still do have magnetic strips, but the terminals
now tell you to insert the card so it can read the chip
if you try swiping it. The swipe slot is just there for when
you dinosaurs show up with chipless cards as tourists.

At least for my biased sampling, card readers on gas pumps don't
have a chip reader. Nor do they have any real authentication mechanism,
except for typing in your postal (ZIP) code. Some of them have RFID
readers for the gas station's own brand of credit card, but not for
generic VISA or MasterCard.

No pin. Credit card companies recently decided a signature
is not required, but most merchants still require a signature.

Yeah, weirdly primitive.

The rumor is that they thought Americans were too dumb to learn another
PIN.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

The UK has used contactless Debit cards (up to £30) for a few years

now and plastic banknotes.

Question: Has the USA already changed to plastic banknotes?

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

In Bod writes:

The UK has used contactless Debit cards for a few years

now and plastic banknotes.

Question: Has the USA already changed to plastic banknotes?

Please, pleas, don't give them any ideas.

It's bad enough they put lights in Wrigley.
:wq

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 1:03:30 AM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The U.S. banking system is the dinosaur.

True, weird that the country that invented the credit card
manages to have the crudest card system around even now.

Tho admittedly you don't see to many using those
machines which put the card on a multi sheet piece
of paper and sort of run the handle over the card so
it prints the car details onto the paper slips anymore.

I bet quite a few places still have those under the cash register in
case their computer connection is down.

One giant leap for you lot.

You lot still use checks much more than most now too.

On average, yes. The devil's in the details, though. I write
a check for my property taxes because the township charges a
fee for either credit cards or EFT. Some contractors are
easier to pay with checks. Other than that, I mainly use
credit cards for anything over $10 and cash for anything under $10.
My arbitrary limit. I just feel like a fool whipping out the
plastic for a loaf of bread.

I do get a little vexed with old ladies using checks at the grocery
store.

You can somewhat blame the sensationalistic media who
were telling us anyone walking down the street could read
the information off of an RFID or other wireless credit card.

That doesn't explain why chip and pin was so slow coming to america.

Same reason we don't use SI. People are suspicious of change.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 7:41:07 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 10:26:52 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 15:04:32 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 4:24:59 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 11:37:44 -0500, gm wrote:

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 06:11:59 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 8:28:42 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Angelica... wrote: "
I disagree. Installation and maintenance of the equipment for filling
tires costs money.

Of course, the gas station could offer free air as a marketing ploy.

Cindy Hamilton "

Then explain why air for tires at stations was free going
back to almost the second world war. What changed during
the last 15 years?

More than 15 years, I think. I can't recall when air was free.

My guess would be that margins at gas stations have gotten
very slim. They make most of their money on the crap they
sell in the convenience store. It's a way to make a little
money from people who don't buy the Big Gulp.

Cindy Hamilton

I bet you will find these are usually installed and serviced by a 3d
party. The mechanic at the old time gas station could usually keep
them running but the 3d world cashier at the mini mart can barely run
the cash register.
Nor can the spoiled white boy or for that matter half the
politicians in the country, regardless of political affiliation.

Leave color out of it, Clare! Blue skin, white skin, black, orange, polka dots - we're all living beings! Our **** all smells the same - like ****.

We're talking about something that a LOT of us grew up with - free air at most garages and some fuel-only stations, during their operating hours.

"I" didn't bring up color. Some other a-hole said "the 3d world
cashier at the mini mart can barely run the cash register. " and I
just corrected him sayin pretty much what you said - color has
nothing to do with it. Don't get your knickers in a knot.

In some cases, color has a lot to do with it. For example, used to be
that you could take a cab ride in NYC

There's your first mistake.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

No, I've never seen plastic currency. Last time I was in Europe, maybe
7 years ago, Euros were still all paper too. Must be a bitch to fold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Nope, I'm older than you.

Hmm. Guess I'm more conservative than I give myself
credit for! I just don't like seeing things messed with
that don't need messing with, know what I mean?

I'm the reverse, particularly with tech stuff like apple/google pay etc.

I'm late forties by the way.

I am almost twice that.

So, Mr. old guy, you must be into newer music than I am,

Very likely. Although I have also always been into classical music as well.

along with those new wave-your-card credit machines?

In fact way past that, much prefer to do away with the card
completely and wave the phone at the terminal instead, for
the vastly better security, almost never having to provide a
PIN anymore, using Touch ID etc and a system that ensures
that even if the phone is stolen or mislaid, no one can pinch
any of my money and I wont have to fart around getting the
bank to reverse the illegal transaction. And dont have to
worry about how dodgy the operation I am buying the gas
from is even when its obviously an illegal taking my money.

And I would much rather be able to get a full electronic
transaction record so its completely effortless to use the
Aldi full refund for any of their special buys when you get
it home and decide that you dont like the way it does things.

And changing the whole way TV is broadcast so folks have to buy new sets?

I in fact use the computer instead of a TV, watch nothing live anymore,
even the TV news. Record everything so I can watch it when I choose to,
not when they broadcast it and can skip the stupid ads etc.

Biggest scam since the Federal Reserve....

I've never bought that line either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

The fancy one that I tried first and last took credit cards, had a

Seriously - a CREDIT CARD SLOT - for a tire air pump?!

This 21st century SUCKS.

Not if you dont bother with coins anymore.

And you dont swipe the card in the slot anymore,
you wave it at the machine, dinosaur.

The U.S. banking system is the dinosaur.

True, weird that the country that invented the credit card
manages to have the crudest card system around even now.

The standard credit card comes with a chip
that must be inserted into the reader,

Most do in fact do contactless now.

Lucky you.

Yeah, can't remember the last time the machine couldnt do contactless.

I still have to insert the card to get cash out of the supermarket checkout
and thats only for the cash I use at garage/yard sales now. And the need
to insert the card is because contactless transactions are credit
transactions
by default even with a debit card due to a very poor implementation.

Although I can get cash out of one bank's ATMs just by waving
my phone at the ATM, but you do have to supply the PIN which
is stupid given that the phone does touch ID or facial recognition
which is vastly more secure than a stupid 4 digit PIN.

and a magnetic strip for readers than aren't equipped to use the chip.

Ours still do have magnetic strips, but the terminals
now tell you to insert the card so it can read the chip
if you try swiping it. The swipe slot is just there for when
you dinosaurs show up with chipless cards as tourists.

At least for my biased sampling, card readers
on gas pumps don't have a chip reader.

They do here, Australia.

Nor do they have any real authentication mechanism,
except for typing in your postal (ZIP) code.

Ours do.

Some of them have RFID readers for the gas station's own
brand of credit card, but not for generic VISA or MasterCard.

Ours do for all cards.

No pin. Credit card companies recently decided a signature
is not required, but most merchants still require a signature.

Yeah, weirdly primitive.

The rumor is that they thought Americans
were too dumb to learn another PIN.

You shouldnt have to learn any PINs anymore now
with touch ID and facial recognition. We dont even
have to supply the PIN for contactless transactions
over $100 when done by waving the phone at the
terminal anymore, because touch ID and facial recognition
are vastly more secure than a stupid 4 digit PIN.

And we havent used signatures with cards for a long time now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 1:03:30 AM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The U.S. banking system is the dinosaur.

True, weird that the country that invented the credit card
manages to have the crudest card system around even now.

Tho admittedly you don't see to many using those
machines which put the card on a multi sheet piece
of paper and sort of run the handle over the card so
it prints the car details onto the paper slips anymore.

I bet quite a few places still have those under the cash
register in case their computer connection is down.

Very few can do anything with no power anymore, no way
to even use cash with the checkout not being powered.

One giant leap for you lot.

You lot still use checks much more than most now too.

On average, yes. The devil's in the details, though.
I write a check for my property taxes because the
township charges a fee for either credit cards or EFT.

Because north america has stupid card fees, much higher than
the rest of the world, even with visa and mastercard cards.

Some contractors are easier to pay with checks.

Not here, I can pay any cellphone number. Same
in the wilds of africa too, the vast bulk of those
transaction are done between cellphones.

Other than that, I mainly use credit cards for anything
over $10 and cash for anything under $10.

I use the phone for everything except garage/yard sale
purchases now. I can pay to any cellphone number but
its not worth the hassle convincing the seller that thats
a valid transaction with people queuing to pay for what
they have bought and not so convenient for the seller.

My arbitrary limit. I just feel like a fool whipping out the
plastic for a loaf of bread.

Thats mad. Makes no sense to fart around ensuring you
have enough cash in the wallet to pay for the bread.

In fact some of our operations that flog coffee etc dont accept
any cash at all, its card or phone or watch or go without.

I do get a little vexed with old ladies
using checks at the grocery store.

Ours stopped accepting checks decades ago now.

You can somewhat blame the sensationalistic media who
were telling us anyone walking down the street could read
the information off of an RFID or other wireless credit card.

That doesn't explain why chip and pin was so slow coming to america.

Same reason we don't use SI. People are suspicious of change.

And yet they didnt do that with cellphones, computers, TV or even politics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

Not with ours, they fold fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That's not what it says he

The polymer bank notes used in Australia are quite difficult to fold due
to their spring factor

https://www.noteworthy-collectibles....an-bank-notes/

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message

[...]

In fact the fold fine.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j75ul7hj8n..._2094.JPG?dl=0

And why would you want to fold it anyway ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23/02/2019 17:25, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message

[...]

Because I keep my money in a zipped pocket, not a wallet.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 02:44 am in Australia ...and Senile Rot is up and Trolling! LMAO

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 02:44:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

02:44 am in Australia, AGAIN??? ROTFLOL

Is it perhaps because of ME that you can't sleep in anymore, you senile
idiot? Or what makes you get up now EVERY DAY between 1 and 4 o'clock in the
morning? LMAO!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 03:12:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH senile troll****

So, how MANY hours do you actually sleep, you abnormal senile troll? You've
been up and trolling since about TWO o'clock in the morning in Australia,
AGAIN! LMAO

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 03:32:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Lol, indeed.

Not with ours, they fold fine.

There is NO "ours" for you, you obnoxious senile pest. Even (or rather
especially) the Ozzies seem to refuse to talk to you as your posting hours
reveal!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 04:25:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

The polymer bank notes used in Australia are quite difficult to fold due
to their spring factor

https://www.noteworthy-collectibles....an-bank-notes/

In fact the fold fine.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j75ul7hj8n..._2094.JPG?dl=0

And why would you want to fold it anyway ?

What a despicable ASSHOLE TROLL you are, senile Rot! tsk

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 03:40:37 +1100, Steven Jones, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

No, I've never seen plastic currency. Last time I was in Europe, maybe
7 years ago, Euros were still all paper too. Must be a bitch to fold.

Nope, folds fine.

As was just disproven in this thread, troll!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 02:56 am in Australia ...and the Senile Ozzietard is already up and Trolling! LOL

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 02:56:21 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH senile troll's ****

Is it your senility that's not letting you sleep in, senile Rot? Or are you
worried about what kind of stuff people (especially me) might have written
about you? LMAO You ARE aware that it's not normal to get up EVERY DAY
between 1 and 4 o'clock? No? LOL

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/23/2019 05:29 AM, wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 4:09:37 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 03:23:43 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

Rod Speed wrote: "OK, ours, Australia, are in fact all free. Not sure if"

Legal requirement - for tire air to be free?
Not sure about that, but just for a second Rod:

Take a breath... Notice that air is all around us.

It SHOULD be free - in our lungs and in our tires!

It costs money to buy, operate,and maintain air compressors, hoses,
and infltors/guages.

What do you do for a living?

What services do YOU supply free of charge to people who may not even
be your customers?

At my company, if someone has dropped their software maintenance and
contacts us with a simple question, we're quite likely to answer it.

Then again, we have only a few hundred customers. It really is a
niche market.

We do the same. Often it's political. Some new broom decides the XYZ
dispatch system is better and forces the switch, not paying maintenance
during the transition. The actual dispatchers may hate the new software
being forced down their throats and we'll still give them support.

It's word of mouth to some degree. We'd rather have people going to
conferences and so forth and saying 'We had an ABC system and we loved
it. We switched to XYZ and it really sucks. Let us tell you how.'

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

The USA is SO yesterday when it comes to credit cards. A royal pain
in the ass buying gas with a Canadian credit card because they don't
recognize a canadian postal code - Hese in Canada virtually ALL gas
pumps have chip and pin, and an ever larger group now also use
contactless "wave your card" terminals that recognize all visa and
mastercard (and sometimes others like "american excess")

No pin. Credit card companies recently decided a signature
is not required, but most merchants still require a signature.

Yeah, weirdly primitive.

The rumor is that they thought Americans were too dumb to learn another
PIN.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

Nope -and they still have their "pennies" too - and paper dollars.

Here in Canada all bills are "plastic" and only 05, .10, .25, 1.00
and 2.00 coins. No penies and no bills under $5.00
Posted to alt.home.repair

Angelica... wrote: "
[...]

You sayin' if you want a cab ride to the bronx you're likely to end
up somewhere in Jersey???
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

[...]

Actually the "polymer" bills fold just fine and don't wrinkle like a
cheap shirt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Angelica... wrote: "
[...]

That's for sure. I worked for the state education department summers
when I was in college and part of the job description was providing
grunt labor at the professional exams in NYC. I was at the testing site
in Manhattan and had to run some material out to another site in the
Bronx. The cabbie could find the Bronx but that was about it. He turned
the meter off and stopped to get directions. Considering the address
was on the Grand Concourse I don't think he'd ever been to the Bronx in
his life.

Life must be a lot easier for cabbies these days. Punch it into the GPS
and go.