Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default what makes radios drift from the proper tuning?

On 2/21/2019 3:32 AM, George wrote:
On 2/21/2019 5:48 AM, devnull wrote:
On 2/19/19 6:58 PM, micky wrote:
I am going away for a while and I want to use timers to turn on lights
and also a radio, but some radios get so far out of tune, even when I
don't touch them, that almost nothing comes out, and I'd like the radio
to continue to play the station clearly.

Are you afraid some border-hoppin' thief is going to steal your stuff?

The most effective way to keep the criminals out is to build a wall
around your house.Â* Open borders don't work.

Nancy Pelosi has an immoral wall around her compound.Â* She also has
people with guns protecting her home as well.

With people like you in this country, I can certainly understand her
worries.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On 2/19/19 6:58 PM, micky wrote:
I am going away for a while and I want to use timers to turn on lights
and also a radio, but some radios get so far out of tune, even when I
don't touch them, that almost nothing comes out, and I'd like the radio
to continue to play the station clearly.

Are you afraid some border-hoppin' thief is going to steal your stuff?

The most effective way to keep the criminals out is to build a wall around your house.Â* Open borders don't work.

Nancy Pelosi has an immoral wall around her compound.Â* She also has people with guns protecting her home as well.

With people like you in this country, I can certainly understand her worries.

Ted Kennedy's Oldsmobile has killed more people than my handguns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 02:45:46 -0000 (UTC), Diesel
wrote:

Wed, 20 Feb 2019
01:54:12 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Do you have a TV with cable access ? If so, does the cable service
have music only channels ? Our Xfinity/Comcast does.

Have your timer turn the TV on/off. Leave cable box set to music
channel.

While a timer could be used to turn a modern tv off, it's highly
doubtful you can turn it back on with the timer. All tvs I've seen in
the past say, ten years have standby modes. If you connect them to AC,
they don't just turn on, you still have to press a button. You can't
really tape the button down or short it out in most cases either,
because it'll most likely do one of two things if you did:

(a) stay off all the time
(b) turn on, but go back to stand by a short time later, because you
aren't letting go of the button

I seriously doubt it would come out of standby and remain on if you the
button remained pressed. You'd need an older tv that had a real power
switch that actually did turn it on or off, not one with a standby or
sleep mode.

Or a "smart" tv with auto turn on - - - does not need to be a real
"smart tv" with internet connectivity - just power saver or timer
start - or some that revert to power on on power up. (just like some
computers) My ancient Panasonic Viero PT700 has the capability to
start and stop by itself

To OP: As i do see Micky posts.

My Comblast DVR has audio outputs on it. Hook it up to a sound bar and use
the soundbar control. The DVR does not switch the soundbar on/off.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 11:47:52 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 2/19/19 10:39 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

Digital radios won't work here. They all afaik have a separate
momentary-on on/off switch.

Having a momentary switch is not the problem, it's that without power it
forgets the setting of that electronic switch.

[snip]

The "digital" radios in this house all have a battery in them to
maintain the settings, but can not be set to start up on power-on. Two
DO have an "alarm" setting that will turn the radio on at a set time.
If you use a timer to turn the radio off and on you need to make sure
the timer comes on before the alarm time. The battery also keeps the
realtime clock running with the power off.

To OP:

Get a C Crane radio. IIRC it is a digital AM/FM/Shortwave and has a timer.
I would post a link but since it is Micky I will let him find it himself if
he has finally learned to use a computer and search engine. HRO has it.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® posted for all of us...

[...]