Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using my new grill

I mentioned my new grill was delivered. Today we got is assembled and
hooked to the gas line. Burned off the oils and made dinner. The
potatoes were really good.

This morning I made a few slices of bacon for breakfast. Fried eggs in
the fat and then left the pan. I was going to clean it but though,
maybe i can use the bacon fat.

For dinner I made pork tenderloins on the grill. To go with it, I
though grilled potatoes would be good. I took a few golden potatoes,
pierced them with a fork, nuked them for six minutes and heated the grill.

I cut the potatoes in half, brushed both sides with the bacon fat and
placed them cut size down on a medium hot grill. The other side got the
pork tenderloins.

The spuds got a little crispy on the cut side, turned them over a few
minutes, then they were ready same time as the meat. A little butter, a
little salt, damn, they were good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I mentioned my new grill was delivered.Â* Today we got is assembled and
hooked to the gas line.Â* Burned off the oils and made dinner.Â* The
potatoes were really good.

This morning I made a few slices of bacon for breakfast.Â* Fried eggs in
the fat and then left the pan.Â* I was going to clean it but though,
maybe i can use the bacon fat.

For dinner I made pork tenderloins on the grill.Â* To go with it, I
though grilled potatoes would be good.Â* I took a few golden potatoes,
pierced them with a fork, nuked them for six minutes and heated the grill.

I cut the potatoes in half, brushed both sides with the bacon fat and
placed them cut size down on a medium hot grill.Â* The other side got the
pork tenderloins.

The spuds got a little crispy on the cut side, turned them over a few
minutes, then they were ready same time as the meat.Â* A little butter, a
little salt, damn, they were good.

Better pig out now, for if the Green Deal takes effect the party will be
over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 19:44:37 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Good for you Ed. Have you found a good butcher shop for quality meat
and a good fish monger, if you like seafood?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2019 1:46 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I'll let you know soon. I just went this morning to Detwilers, a local
small chain of farm stores. I bought a rib eye roast for Sunday. I got
some good cod there last visit. Fresh as when I lived in New England.

It is an evil store. Went in there couple of weeks ago just to get some
oranges and ended up spending $87. Today was over $200. They have fill
packer briskets too!. Next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 14:06:27 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/14/2019 1:46 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Brisket is my nemesis right now. I need to do a whole packer one day.
Then I'd have the flat and the point at the same time.

Speaking of price -- Lobels of NY meat

https://www.lobels.com/usda-prime-beef-brisket/p/UPBRSK

Damn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2019 1:46 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Detwilers was $3.49/lb for the same thing. Sadly, brisket has been
"discovered" by the masses and it drove the price up. Not long ago it
was 99 cents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/19 7:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Least you can do is invite us over for a meal ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Low and slow. Kosher salt, COARSE black pepper, little
garlic powder, 225-250°
until internal temp about 170-175, wrap in unwaxed butcher
paper until 200-205 or when the probe slides in like butter

Watch a few of Aaron Franklin videos

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...anklin+brisket

or this guy, Todd David he owns and runs my favorite joint
here in Big D and I can testify on how good his stuff is. He
makes all his own sausage and makes wagyu bologna that is
excellent as well as KILLER pastrami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeJj2OFAxk4

Leave in paper and wrap in towel and let rest in ice
chest(no ice) for at least an hour

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This is where Todd buys his briskets. Its Texas wagyu He
buys so many they have named a bull after him "King David"
He's told me to start with the very best brisket you can
afford and don't get in a hurry

https://heartbrandbeef.com/product/brisket/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 2/14/2019 2:30 PM, Oren wrote:

https://www.lobels.com/usda-prime-beef-brisket/p/UPBRSK

Damn!

Detwilers was $3.49/lb for the same thing. Sadly, brisket has been
"discovered" by the masses and it drove the price up. Not long ago it
was 99 cents.

Not "discovered" but rather the large meat suppliers (Swift, et alia)
figured out how to get premium $ for a substandard cut of beef. Similar
to ribs - for years, they were considered a waste product (and really,
there is so little meat on those bones it's not really worth the work
just for the sauce - but its a thing and everyone has to follow the
trend).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2019 1:37 AM, ChairMan wrote:
Oren wrote:

Brisket is my nemesis right now. I need to do a whole
packer one day.
Then I'd have the flat and the point at the same time.

Speaking of price -- Lobels of NY meat

https://www.lobels.com/usda-prime-beef-brisket/p/UPBRSK

Damn!

This is where Todd buys his briskets. Its Texas wagyu He
buys so many they have named a bull after him "King David"
He's told me to start with the very best brisket you can
afford and don't get in a hurry

https://heartbrandbeef.com/product/brisket/

I'd like to put my $30 brisket up against his $120 one. Done right, I
bet there is not 50 cents difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If interested, Troy does a test for wrapping brisket. Naked, foil and
butcher paper.... side by side comparison. 16 minute video. He also is
in Austin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYtR5MPZc4
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:

[...]

I never wrapped. I want BBQ brisket, not steamed meat. I choked when
he said you have to add broth to a different grade of brisket. We're
not making pot roast. Consensus of the better pit-masters is that foil
is a crutch.

I guess for tasting purposes he cut it OK, but I always separate the
point from the flat after cooking. The grain is crossed and they should
be cut in opposite directions.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-02-15 1:01 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/15/2019 11:46 AM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 00:18:15 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Oren wrote:

Brisket is my nemesis right now.Â* I need to do a whole
packer one day.
Then I'd have the flat and the point at the same time.

Speaking of price -- Lobels of NY meat

https://www.lobels.com/usda-prime-beef-brisket/p/UPBRSK

Damn!

Low and slow. Kosher salt, COARSE black pepper, little
garlic powder, 225-250°
until internal temp about 170-175, wrap in unwaxed butcher
paper until 200-205 or when the probe slides in like butter

Watch aÂ* few of Aaron Franklin videos

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...anklin+brisket

or this guy, Todd David he owns and runs my favorite joint
here in Big D and I can testify on how good his stuff is. He
makes all his own sausage and makes wagyu bologna that is
excellent as well as KILLER pastrami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeJj2OFAxk4

Leave in paper and wrap in towel and let rest in ice
chest(no ice) for at least an hour

If interested, Troy does a test for wrapping brisket. Naked, foil and
butcher paper.... side by side comparison. 16 minute video. He also is
in Austin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYtR5MPZc4

I never wrapped.Â* I want BBQ brisket, not steamed meat.Â* I choked when
he said you have to add broth to a different grade of brisket.Â* We're
not making pot roast.Â* Consensus of the better pit-masters is that foil
is a crutch.

I guess for tasting purposes he cut it OK, but I always separate the
point from the flat after cooking.Â* The grain is crossed and they should
be cut in opposite directions.

yes , yes , lets all cut off our meat in a home repair group
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:

[...]

Correct and agree. Called the Texas Crutch They talk about the "meat
stall" and cheat. BBQ in SC is pork.

I guess for tasting purposes he cut it OK, but I always separate the
point from the flat after cooking. The grain is crossed and they should
be cut in opposite directions.

Exactly. You can cut a brisket, Ed :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:

[...]

No question foil is a crutch, i don't think butcher paper is in the same
catagory

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Aaron does the same test in another video. I noticed he(Troy) over wrapped
with the paper, ya don't need 2 layers.
I've tried all but foil and I like the butcher paper results best.It breaths
and in my experience helps make for a better bark. Foil tends to steam the
meat like Ed said.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

Brisket is my nemesis right now. I need to do a whole
packer one day.
Then I'd have the flat and the point at the same time.

Speaking of price -- Lobels of NY meat

https://www.lobels.com/usda-prime-beef-brisket/p/UPBRSK

Damn!

This is where Todd buys his briskets. Its Texas wagyu He
buys so many they have named a bull after him "King David"
He's told me to start with the very best brisket you can
afford and don't get in a hurry

https://heartbrandbeef.com/product/brisket/

I'd like to put my $30 brisket up against his $120 one. Done right, I
bet there is not 50 cents difference.

If its a choice or Angus, ya probaly wouldn't see much difference, but a
select can't hold a candle to them. I usually go for Choice or Angus.
Mind you those prices are full on retail and I can pick up the same
heartbrand down the street at my butcher for about $7-8 lb. I can assure you
Todd doesn't pay anywhere near that for them. He's open 2 days a week and
sells over 1.5 tons of meat a week from 10-2pm. He's been voted #1 in Dallas
and I believe #3 in the state behind Snows BBq and Franklins. YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

[...]

i didn't know i could repair my house with brisket
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

[...]

I had to replace my keyboard because of the drool.

--
Tekkie