Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best kitchen floor surfaces?

My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

I favor sheet vinyl. No seams for spilled milk to infiltrate. But
it's no longer fashionable.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Davej" wrote in message
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

There is no ideal floor, if there was, everyone would have it.

I prefer quarry tiles, but dropping plates
and glasses etc usually sees them break.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

Suggestions for what? Replacing the wood floor? Or ideas to prevent the problems you cite, leaving the floor there? If it was me and the floor was in good condition, I'd just enjoy it and look at the positives. Like everything, there are tradeoffs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:25:00 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:52:24 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

I favor sheet vinyl. No seams for spilled milk to infiltrate. But
it's no longer fashionable.

Cindy Hamilton

I agree I liked the vinyl myself but my wife insisted on taking the
ceramic tile we have in the rest of the house into the kitchen. It is
certainly durable and easy to clean but very unforgiving on anything
you drop. I can't seem to hurt the tile but I have certainly broken a
lot of glasses, dishes or whatever.

It's so hard glasses and china seem to break even before they hit
the floor - - - at least before thit hit after the first bounce.

We put in armstrong solid vinyl sheet flooring 26 years ago and it
still looks like new - and it looks like porcelain tile. Kitchen and
mainfloor bath. The upstairs bath is a composite floor that looks like
tile and comes in 2X4 foot sheets - snaps together like laminate fake
hardwood, but with virtually invisible seams and guaranteed
waterproof. The finish is as hard as ceramic tile - was VERY hard on
saw blades. I don't think it was Pergo - but very similar.

Also a decent option for a kitchen and available in many "patterns"
(Pergo)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

Solid premium vinyl

Â* Armstrong used to have (and may still) a solid vinyl line that was
really tough . Bitch to install too , had to warm it up to cut it .
We're undecided whether to carry the (solid 3/4" prefinished
oak)hardwood into the "wet" areas . I planned on ceramic or porcelain
tile in the bathrooms and kitchen work area , but she kinda likes the
idea of it all being hardwood .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

wrote:

My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

Solid premium vinyl

Â* Armstrong used to have (and may still) a solid vinyl line that was
really tough . Bitch to install too , had to warm it up to cut it .
We're undecided whether to carry the (solid 3/4" prefinished
oak)hardwood into the "wet" areas . I planned on ceramic or porcelain
tile in the bathrooms and kitchen work area , but she kinda likes the
idea of it all being hardwood .

hardwood buckles nicely after a few spills on it
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:40:55 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My house has porcelain tile. Nice here in warm climate but you may not
like it in cooler places. Very easy to clean.

Agree on porcelain. Mine is 16"x24" with scalloped edges. In a brick
pattern. Attractive, easy to clean. The entire house is also the same.
A few rugs about and things are just fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

Solid premium vinyl

Armstrong used to have (and may still) a solid vinyl line that was
really tough . Bitch to install too , had to warm it up to cut it .
We're undecided whether to carry the (solid 3/4" prefinished
oak)hardwood into the "wet" areas . I planned on ceramic or porcelain
tile in the bathrooms and kitchen work area , but she kinda likes the
idea of it all being hardwood .

It was called Solarian, if memory serves me right and yes a bitch to install
especially in cold weather. I remember epoxy was used on seams

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Â* Yeah , Designer Solarian ! There were cheaper solids that didn't have
the no-wax finish too . Best way we found to fit that stuff was to
scribe a pattern from roofing felt and cut it out before it ever went
into place . Sounds like you know a bit about the business , did y'all
ever go coving ? Roll the flooring 4 1/2" up the wall with an aluminum
cap strip . Fun !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

I favor sheet vinyl. No seams for spilled milk to infiltrate. But
it's no longer fashionable.

Cindy Hamilton

What do you mean? you can get it to look like ANYTHING that happens
to be in fashion. - and the new premium vinyl product, although not
"sheet" is still spill-proof - plank, tile, or whatever you want.

Sure, you can get it to look like anything. But people--especially those
who care what's in fashion--tend to want what's specifically fashionable.

And usually there is a big difference in something that "looks like" and
something that really is. Vinyl sheet flooring that looks like wood?

Plank? Really? What happens when I drop a glass of milk? Doesn't it
seep down between the planks? I'll admit I haven't looked at flooring
very closely because I'm not on the verge of remodeling my kitchen.

Cindy Hamilton

The modern engineered hardwoods fit together very tightly. Apparently it's
not a problem. I would be a bit worried about water leaks that put more
water on it, where it may not be seen or detected for a long time, etc.
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:22:49 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor...[...] Any suggestions?

Suggestions for what? Replacing the wood floor? Or ideas to
prevent the problems you cite, leaving the floor there? If
it was me and the floor was in good condition, I'd just enjoy
it and look at the positives. Like everything, there are
tradeoffs.

Hey, if there is a way to waterproof it I would be interested
to hear. We thought it was a bit odd to have a wooden kitchen
floor and I have had a few puddles that did soak in a bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2019 10:08 AM, Davej wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:22:49 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor...[...] Any suggestions?

Suggestions for what? Replacing the wood floor? Or ideas to
prevent the problems you cite, leaving the floor there? If
it was me and the floor was in good condition, I'd just enjoy
it and look at the positives. Like everything, there are
tradeoffs.

Hey, if there is a way to waterproof it I would be interested
to hear. We thought it was a bit odd to have a wooden kitchen
floor and I have had a few puddles that did soak in a bit.

A few coats of polyurethane usually works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:09:03 AM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:22:49 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor...[...] Any suggestions?

Suggestions for what? Replacing the wood floor? Or ideas to
prevent the problems you cite, leaving the floor there? If
it was me and the floor was in good condition, I'd just enjoy
it and look at the positives. Like everything, there are
tradeoffs.

Hey, if there is a way to waterproof it I would be interested
to hear. We thought it was a bit odd to have a wooden kitchen
floor and I have had a few puddles that did soak in a bit.

IDK of any way to waterproof it, but wood floors in kitchens are not
unusual. You see them here in NJ in the more expensive homes. I think
it also depends on the actual wood used. For new floors, most often
it's one of the pre-finished, engineered materials that combine a
substrate with a thinner veneer of the desired wood. They have the
finish applied at the factory and it's harder, more durable, more
resistant to warping, etc. Most of those, the good ones for sure,
can be refinished a couple times too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2019 12:44 PM, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor throughout the entryways, breakfast area, and
kitchen, installed over the plywood sub-floor. I like the fact
that wood is a comfortable surface for bare feet, but don't
like the fact that every spill of water can be a problem and
every dropped utensil can create another dent or gouge. Any
suggestions?

I wanted hard wood when we built the house almost 10 years ago.
However, we do have a large dog and hard wood was not recommended. So
we put in laminate. It looks as good as when it was new. Yes there
might be a ding here or there, but, it really doesn't show. The
laminate even survived a situation when the fridge decided to turn
itself off when we were on vacation. Water from the freezer did leak
out and swell it a bit but after it dried the swelling now is almost
invisible. In my previous house we had ceramic tile. If you dropped
something glass on it, not only did the glass break, but the tile
usually chipped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 2/11/2019 10:08 AM, Davej wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:22:49 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
My house has some sort of modern tongue-in-groove plank-style
wooden floor...[...] Any suggestions?

Suggestions for what? Replacing the wood floor? Or ideas to
prevent the problems you cite, leaving the floor there? If
it was me and the floor was in good condition, I'd just enjoy
it and look at the positives. Like everything, there are
tradeoffs.

Hey, if there is a way to waterproof it I would be interested
to hear. We thought it was a bit odd to have a wooden kitchen
floor and I have had a few puddles that did soak in a bit.

A few coats of polyurethane usually works.

Yeah, thats what I did with some raw edges of chip board
which have laminate on the work surfaces, up against the
wall where they might get some spilled water at times.
Works well, you never get any of the swelling you normally
get with chip board that gets wet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yup and it too was a pain in the ass. When I was much younger the guy I
worked for did 99% Solarian. He was good at it and I got to do all the
seams, scribing and epoxying.....oh the fun we had : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Custom Solarian solid vinyl - what was installed in our kitchen and
mainfloor bath - It's not Epoxy that is used - but a special vinyl
cement that chemically "welds" the vinyl.

Strange story on ours - we "won" it at a home show - all we had to pay
was the installation. They brought it in about 8am on a cold Ontario
December day and started laying it. They were done well before noon (I
was at work - wife was home). When I got home I found there were 2
corners where it was visibly cracked - due to the "installers" not
knowing what they were doing and working it while still cold and
stiff. I called and told them they had 2 options - and only 2. Eother
come and rip it out and replace it properly, or forget about the
installation fee. They decided it was a lot cheaper to forget the
installation fee. I can live with 2 cracks about 1/2 inch long -
particularly after I glued them - they hardly show even now 20 - some
odd years later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Looks just like Terrazo. Used a lot in institutional installations
where the corners are water-tight and easy to keep clean.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It was two part epoxy when I was installing it, mid 70s it
did change in late 70's early 80s

[...]

Finishing interior surfaces of kitchen cabinets Peter Wells Woodworking 7 May 7th 07 03:13 PM
kitchen work surfaces patrick UK diy 14 April 22nd 05 10:27 PM
Rust on tool surfaces Larry Crosby Woodworking 5 March 28th 05 09:49 PM
Paint which surfaces of indoor built-in bookcases? Bill Courington Woodworking 8 February 12th 05 04:51 PM
Cleaning grout from tile surfaces John Rumm UK diy 5 January 20th 05 09:01 PM