Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tree removal

I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive. I
can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 12:48:14 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive. I
can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

Most of those just involve taking too big a bite. When the guys took
out a tree for me they cut it up in pieces right up there in the tree.
The guy said he had to cut it up anyway so why take a chance with a
piece too big to handle. Pretty much every piece was cut off and
lowered on a rope. It still went fast and by the time he was working
on the trunk, the rest of it was packed up in his truck and trailer by
the helper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 9 Feb 2019 12:48:14 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive. I
can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Hey, Ed. Fifty dollars is $50. Money doesn't grow on..er...trees.

Stole this from another group.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-02-09 2:10 p.m., Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Most of those just involve taking too big a bite. When the guys took
out a tree for me they cut it up in pieces right up there in the tree.
The guy said he had to cut it up anyway so why take a chance with a
piece too big to handle. Pretty much every piece was cut off and
lowered on a rope. It still went fast and by the time he was working
on the trunk, the rest of it was packed up in his truck and trailer by
the helper.

I had a Bradford pear tree that was about 50 feet tall next to the
house cut down this summer. Three men came out in a bucket truck and
the man in the bucket went up and cut down most of the tree. The 2 men
on the ground put the limbs in a chipper and blew it into a compartment
on the bucket truck. The larger limbs were laid on the ground and
something like one of the small bulldozers or bobcats loaded the larger
ones on another truck. No damage to the house and not too much to the
ground. In about 2 hours they were finished.

I don't know how they will burn, but I did have them save a few limbs
that were about 3 to 5 inches in diameter and cut to about 2 feet long
to save for fire wood. I would have saved more of it,but did not have a
good place to put more out of the weather and off the ground.

i use the trees i cut down for stove wood

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I rented an articulated lift and took down half of a big a big fucus
tree behind the house. It was fairly tight to the shed so I took it
down in small chunks for the most part. I had to stop because I had
filled a 30 yard dumpster. After Irma took about half the rest I knew
FEMA was coming so I took down all of it. This time it was all leaning
away from anything I cared about so I just dropped the whole thing,
cut it up and dragged the logs around behind my truck.
.. http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20down.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20killer.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

**** you're ugly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Jeeze, that really is a ficus. They're house plants up here. The
only thing I really recall about them is they're touchy about being
repotted.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/19 11:05 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message ...
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Most of those just involve taking too big a bite. When the guys took
out a tree for me they cut it up in pieces right up there in the tree.
The guy said he had to cut it up anyway so why take a chance with a
piece too big to handle. Pretty much every piece was cut off and
lowered on a rope. It still went fast and by the time he was working
on the trunk, the rest of it was packed up in his truck and trailer by
the helper.

I hadÂ* a Bradford pear tree that was about 50 feet tall next to the
house cut down thisÂ* summer.Â* Three men came out in a bucket truck and
the man in the bucket went up and cut down most of the tree.Â* The 2 men
on the ground put the limbs in a chipper and blew it into a compartment
on the bucket truck.Â* The larger limbs were laid on the ground and
something like one of the small bulldozers or bobcats loaded the larger
ones on another truck. No damage to the house and not too much to the
ground.Â* In about 2 hours they were finished.

I don't know how they will burn, but I did have them save a few limbs
that were about 3 to 5 inches in diameter and cut to about 2 feet long
to save for fire wood.Â* I would have saved more of it,but did not have a

.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20down.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20killer.jpg

**** you're ugly.

That's something you can never unsee. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2019 7:31 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

That is interesting. I've got one as a house plant and they are easy to
propagate and take care of. I knew they could grow big in warm climates
and now see from Wiki they can nearly get to 100 ft. tall. Also says
they are unsuitable for residential lots because of size and root
system. I've learned that sort of thing over the years. That little
stick put in over 20 years ago can grow huge and threaten the house.
I've had many of those once little sticks removed, requiring a tree cutter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 04:31:21 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

They are weeds down here you can hardly kill. It is illegal to even
plant one in a lot of places. That one was 60-70 feet high before the
hurricanes knocked the top out (twice).
It sprayed tree limbs like this all over the yard
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Irma/Trees%20down.jpg

I was happy to see it gone. Once I had the thing cut down I had to
pour Garlon on the trunk to finally kill it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 08:40:04 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 2/10/2019 7:31 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

There are lots of little "dish garden" plants you see up north that
are noxious weeds in the sub tropics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

True. I tried eyewash but it didnt help any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 11:48:21 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is
expensive. I can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in
the second one.

Youtube has a whole variety of tree disasters. Usually you can
immediately see that the fool is doing something stupid that
violates obvious tree-cutting safety rules.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/10/2019 06:40 AM, Frank wrote:
I've learned that sort of thing over the years. That little stick put
in over 20 years ago can grow huge and threaten the house. I've had many
of those once little sticks removed, requiring a tree cutter.

It's not only the little trees... My mother thought Japanese knotweed
would make a nice screening hedge. It did do that but then it tried to
take over the world. I don't know if it looked like home but it was also
a magnet for Japanese beetles. They might have balanced each other out
but the beetles like roses for desert.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:40:16 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 19:07:14 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/10/2019 02:41 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:48:47 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/10/2019 07:27 AM, wrote:
They are weeds down here you can hardly kill. It is illegal to even
plant one in a lot of places. That one was 60-70 feet high before the
hurricanes knocked the top out (twice).
It sprayed tree limbs like this all over the yard

Did it bear figs?

Strangler fig trees take over trees and actually smother and kill
them. They are in the ficus family but not exactly the same. Fig trees
is another animal all together - you get figs.

Ficus and banyon trees can take over sewer pipes that cause havoc on
house foundations and plumbing pipes.

https://www.britannica.com/plant/strangler-fig-tree

That's useless. I remember seeing the banyan at Edison's place in Ft.
Myers. I guess it was in a pot when he planted it and now (well, back in
the '80s) it's its own little forest.

I I've been under that tree. The Ft Myers cemetery has one just as
big. I could tell stories about that tree. My brother used to drop a
white ghost sheet at cars, on a branch, via a small rope. Coops used
to hide behind the tree trunk to catch speeders. Carved names in it.
DO NOT stand on the sprawling roots when lightning strikes

Henry Ford and Edison were looking for rubber for ford tires

I still have some bamboo in my yard from Edison's experiments on the
light bulb filament material. He had the Koreshans growing different
varieties and the one I stole is the "clump" stuff that does not
spread. Unfortunately the Koreshan Park is over run with the stuff
that does. It is still pretty neat stuff. I lined the walls of 2
enclosures in my screen cage with split bamboo, all from the clump
behind my house that I planted 15-20 years ago. (harvested along the
river)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/19 11:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive.Â* I
can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

I've done some dumb things in my life but on the two times I've needed a
tree trimmed or removed...hired a pro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:06:37 -0600, philo wrote:

On 2/9/19 11:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive.Â* I
can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

I've done some dumb things in my life but on the two times I've needed a
tree trimmed or removed...hired a pro.

I am certainly not climbing up in a tree or standing on a ladder with
a chain saw but I do feel pretty good on an articulated lift so I can
be above the limb I am cutting and it falls away from the machine. You
still want to take little bites at it. Like my Mexican guy said, you
have to cut it up anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:06:37 -0600, philo wrote:

On 2/9/19 11:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive. I
can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

I've done some dumb things in my life but on the two times I've needed a
tree trimmed or removed...hired a pro.

I am certainly not climbing up in a tree or standing on a ladder with
a chain saw but I do feel pretty good on an articulated lift so I can
be above the limb I am cutting and it falls away from the machine.

Thats fine with limbs, but its not so easy with the main
vertical trunk where you have to be where the cut is made
and have a much heavier chunk of wood falling away
even if you do cut it in small chunks like you say next.

You still want to take little bites at it. Like my
Mexican guy said, you have to cut it up anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 10 Feb 2019 04:31:21 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Is that you!

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20killer.jpg

Jeeze, that really is a ficus. They're house plants up here. The

How could you get a plant that big in your house?

only thing I really recall about them is they're touchy about being
repotted.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

That was the easy part. The bitch was lifting it out of the pot
when it needed to be repotted.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Â* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

I've done some dumb things in my life but on the two times I've needed a
tree trimmed or removed...hired a pro.

Years ago I had a 75 year old neighbor killed when he was cutting a
partially downed tree which then fell on him.

Next door neighbor nearly killed when a tree fell on her and the house
when she went out to straighten up an inside out umbrella in a wind storm.

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain killers
used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:50:33 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Once you get down to a single vertical trunk, predicting and planning
the fall is much easier. All of the trees in my yard don't grow that
way anyhow. There isn't really a single trunk that goes up very far.
Even that nasty fucus only had about 20' of trunk and the other 40'
was branches. Live oaks start branching off 10' off the ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

They are pretty small if you keep them choked off in a pot. It is when
they can run loose that they get big.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:50:33 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

And controlling it too with a rope pulling it the
way you want, how you cut it and wedges.

All of the trees in my yard don't grow that way anyhow.
There isn't really a single trunk that goes up very far.

Even that nasty fucus only had about 20' of trunk and the other
40' was branches. Live oaks start branching off 10' off the ground.

Sure,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/19 7:47 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain killers
used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Some typos are funny...

--
"Q: 'Let us pray for understanding and for compassion.' Picard: 'Let us
do no such damn thing.'"
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

I rented an articulated lift and took down half of a big a big fucus

What kind of tree? 8~)

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2019 1:58 PM, hah wrote:
On 2/12/19 7:47 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain killers
used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Some typos are funny...

I was not sure - that's the problem with spell check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2019 6:29 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/12/2019 1:58 PM, hah wrote:
On 2/12/19 7:47 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain killers
used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Some typos are funny...

I was not sure - that's the problem with spell check.

Better than being addicted to drugs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2019 7:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/13/2019 6:29 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/12/2019 1:58 PM, hah wrote:
On 2/12/19 7:47 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain
killers used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Some typos are funny...

I was not sure - that's the problem with spell check.

Better than being addicted to drugs.

The "heroin" addict was in the hospital same time as me. He was having
gangrenous toes removed. I asked to see his arms and one vein was all
swollen and one collapsed like a trench. He was not a pretty sight.
Started from a fall from a tree.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/19 5:29 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/12/2019 1:58 PM, hah wrote:
On 2/12/19 7:47 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain killers
used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Some typos are funny...

I was not sure - that's the problem with spell check.

Yes, spell check can do weird stuff like that.

BTW, once I was posting about a Windows service called LoadPowerProfile.
The spell checker thought it should be laryngectomize.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Ubi dubium ibi liberts (Where there is doubt, there is freedom)" --
Latin proverb