Old February 12th 19, 03:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tree removal

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:50:33 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:06:37 -0600, philo wrote:

On 2/9/19 11:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive. I
can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

I've done some dumb things in my life but on the two times I've needed a
tree trimmed or removed...hired a pro.

I am certainly not climbing up in a tree or standing on a ladder with
a chain saw but I do feel pretty good on an articulated lift so I can
be above the limb I am cutting and it falls away from the machine.

That’s fine with limbs, but its not so easy with the main
vertical trunk where you have to be where the cut is made
and have a much heavier chunk of wood falling away
even if you do cut it in small chunks like you say next.

Once you get down to a single vertical trunk, predicting and planning
the fall is much easier. All of the trees in my yard don't grow that
way anyhow. There isn't really a single trunk that goes up very far.
Even that nasty fucus only had about 20' of trunk and the other 40'
was branches. Live oaks start branching off 10' off the ground.

Old February 12th 19, 03:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 01:26:44 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 10 Feb 2019 04:31:21 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery

says...

Most of those just involve taking too big a bite. When the guys took
out a tree for me they cut it up in pieces right up there in the tree.
The guy said he had to cut it up anyway so why take a chance with a
piece too big to handle. Pretty much every piece was cut off and
lowered on a rope. It still went fast and by the time he was working
on the trunk, the rest of it was packed up in his truck and trailer by
the helper.

I had a Bradford pear tree that was about 50 feet tall next to the
house cut down this summer. Three men came out in a bucket truck and
the man in the bucket went up and cut down most of the tree. The 2 men
on the ground put the limbs in a chipper and blew it into a compartment
on the bucket truck. The larger limbs were laid on the ground and
something like one of the small bulldozers or bobcats loaded the larger
ones on another truck. No damage to the house and not too much to the
ground. In about 2 hours they were finished.

I don't know how they will burn, but I did have them save a few limbs
that were about 3 to 5 inches in diameter and cut to about 2 feet long
to save for fire wood. I would have saved more of it,but did not have a
good place to put more out of the weather and off the ground.

I rented an articulated lift and took down half of a big a big fucus
tree behind the house. It was fairly tight to the shed so I took it
down in small chunks for the most part. I had to stop because I had
filled a 30 yard dumpster. After Irma took about half the rest I knew
FEMA was coming so I took down all of it. This time it was all leaning
away from anything I cared about so I just dropped the whole thing,
cut it up and dragged the logs around behind my truck.
. http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20down.jpg

Is that you!

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20killer.jpg

Jeeze, that really is a ficus. They're house plants up here. The

How could you get a plant that big in your house?

They are pretty small if you keep them choked off in a pot. It is when
they can run loose that they get big.
Old February 12th 19, 07:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:50:33 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

And controlling it too with a rope pulling it the
way you want, how you cut it and wedges.

All of the trees in my yard don't grow that way anyhow.
There isn't really a single trunk that goes up very far.

Even that nasty fucus only had about 20' of trunk and the other
40' was branches. Live oaks start branching off 10' off the ground.

Sure,

Old February 12th 19, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/19 7:47 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain killers
used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Some typos are funny...

--
"Q: 'Let us pray for understanding and for compassion.' Picard: 'Let us
do no such damn thing.'"
Old February 12th 19, 09:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

I rented an articulated lift and took down half of a big a big fucus

What kind of tree? 8~)

--
Tekkie

Old February 14th 19, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2019 1:58 PM, hah wrote:
On 2/12/19 7:47 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain killers
used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Some typos are funny...

I was not sure - that's the problem with spell check.
Old February 14th 19, 01:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/2019 6:29 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/12/2019 1:58 PM, hah wrote:
On 2/12/19 7:47 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain killers
used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Some typos are funny...

I was not sure - that's the problem with spell check.

Better than being addicted to drugs.
Old February 14th 19, 01:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2019 1:58 PM, hah wrote:
On 2/12/19 7:47 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain
killers used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Some typos are funny...

I was not sure - that's the problem with spell check.

Better than being addicted to drugs.

The "heroin" addict was in the hospital same time as me. He was having
gangrenous toes removed. I asked to see his arms and one vein was all
swollen and one collapsed like a trench. He was not a pretty sight.
Started from a fall from a tree.
Old February 14th 19, 06:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/13/19 5:29 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/12/2019 1:58 PM, hah wrote:
On 2/12/19 7:47 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain killers
used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.

Some typos are funny...

I was not sure - that's the problem with spell check.

Yes, spell check can do weird stuff like that.

BTW, once I was posting about a Windows service called LoadPowerProfile.
The spell checker thought it should be laryngectomize.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Ubi dubium ibi liberts (Where there is doubt, there is freedom)" --
Latin proverb