Old February 12th 19, 01:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tree removal

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 19:07:14 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/10/2019 02:41 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:48:47 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/10/2019 07:27 AM, wrote:
They are weeds down here you can hardly kill. It is illegal to even
plant one in a lot of places. That one was 60-70 feet high before the
hurricanes knocked the top out (twice).
It sprayed tree limbs like this all over the yard

Did it bear figs?

Strangler fig trees take over trees and actually smother and kill
them. They are in the ficus family but not exactly the same. Fig trees
is another animal all together - you get figs.

Ficus and banyon trees can take over sewer pipes that cause havoc on
house foundations and plumbing pipes.

https://www.britannica.com/plant/strangler-fig-tree

That's useless. I remember seeing the banyan at Edison's place in Ft.
Myers. I guess it was in a pot when he planted it and now (well, back in
the '80s) it's its own little forest.

I I've been under that tree. The Ft Myers cemetery has one just as
big. I could tell stories about that tree. My brother used to drop a
white ghost sheet at cars, on a branch, via a small rope. Coops used
to hide behind the tree trunk to catch speeders. Carved names in it.
DO NOT stand on the sprawling roots when lightning strikes

Henry Ford and Edison were looking for rubber for ford tires
Old February 12th 19, 03:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/10/2019 07:27 AM, wrote:
[...]

I still have some bamboo in my yard from Edison's experiments on the
light bulb filament material. He had the Koreshans growing different
varieties and the one I stole is the "clump" stuff that does not
spread. Unfortunately the Koreshan Park is over run with the stuff
that does. It is still pretty neat stuff. I lined the walls of 2
enclosures in my screen cage with split bamboo, all from the clump
behind my house that I planted 15-20 years ago. (harvested along the
river)
Old February 12th 19, 04:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/19 11:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive.* I
can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

I've done some dumb things in my life but on the two times I've needed a
tree trimmed or removed...hired a pro.

Old February 12th 19, 05:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:06:37 -0600, philo wrote:

On 2/9/19 11:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive.* I
can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

I've done some dumb things in my life but on the two times I've needed a
tree trimmed or removed...hired a pro.

I am certainly not climbing up in a tree or standing on a ladder with
a chain saw but I do feel pretty good on an articulated lift so I can
be above the limb I am cutting and it falls away from the machine. You
still want to take little bites at it. Like my Mexican guy said, you
have to cut it up anyway.

Old February 12th 19, 05:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:06:37 -0600, philo wrote:

On 2/9/19 11:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive. I
can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

I've done some dumb things in my life but on the two times I've needed a
tree trimmed or removed...hired a pro.

I am certainly not climbing up in a tree or standing on a ladder with
a chain saw but I do feel pretty good on an articulated lift so I can
be above the limb I am cutting and it falls away from the machine.

That’s fine with limbs, but its not so easy with the main
vertical trunk where you have to be where the cut is made
and have a much heavier chunk of wood falling away
even if you do cut it in small chunks like you say next.

Old February 12th 19, 07:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 10 Feb 2019 04:31:21 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 10:49:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 16:10:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery

says...

Most of those just involve taking too big a bite. When the guys took
out a tree for me they cut it up in pieces right up there in the tree.
The guy said he had to cut it up anyway so why take a chance with a
piece too big to handle. Pretty much every piece was cut off and
lowered on a rope. It still went fast and by the time he was working
on the trunk, the rest of it was packed up in his truck and trailer by
the helper.

I had a Bradford pear tree that was about 50 feet tall next to the
house cut down this summer. Three men came out in a bucket truck and
the man in the bucket went up and cut down most of the tree. The 2 men
on the ground put the limbs in a chipper and blew it into a compartment
on the bucket truck. The larger limbs were laid on the ground and
something like one of the small bulldozers or bobcats loaded the larger
ones on another truck. No damage to the house and not too much to the
ground. In about 2 hours they were finished.

I don't know how they will burn, but I did have them save a few limbs
that were about 3 to 5 inches in diameter and cut to about 2 feet long
to save for fire wood. I would have saved more of it,but did not have a
good place to put more out of the weather and off the ground.

I rented an articulated lift and took down half of a big a big fucus
tree behind the house. It was fairly tight to the shed so I took it
down in small chunks for the most part. I had to stop because I had
filled a 30 yard dumpster. After Irma took about half the rest I knew
FEMA was coming so I took down all of it. This time it was all leaning
away from anything I cared about so I just dropped the whole thing,
cut it up and dragged the logs around behind my truck.
.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20down.jpg

Is that you!

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/fichus%20killer.jpg

Jeeze, that really is a ficus. They're house plants up here. The

How could you get a plant that big in your house?

only thing I really recall about them is they're touchy about being
repotted.

Cindy Hamilton

Old February 12th 19, 12:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That was the easy part. The bitch was lifting it out of the pot
when it needed to be repotted.

Cindy Hamilton
Old February 12th 19, 02:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2019 10:06 PM, philo wrote:
On 2/9/19 11:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I was going to hire the guys in the first video, but he is expensive.
I can save 50 bucks if I get one of the guys in the second one.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0bMU3hOzY

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BLsYR...toplay=1&rel=0

Stole this from another group.

I've done some dumb things in my life but on the two times I've needed a
tree trimmed or removed...hired a pro.

Years ago I had a 75 year old neighbor killed when he was cutting a
partially downed tree which then fell on him.

Next door neighbor nearly killed when a tree fell on her and the house
when she went out to straighten up an inside out umbrella in a wind storm.

I also met a heroine addict whose addiction started from pain killers
used when he was injured working as a tree cutter.