Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating UNOCCUPIED Attics in Residences

I have always gone by the philosophy that
the overhead(roof) rafters should not be
batted unless the attic will be fully sheet-rocked,
climate-controlled and lived in, and only the attic
floor(ceilings below) should be insulated.

Am I correct?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, nowadays I'm seeing on TV, and in houses I've
visited, insulation between the rafters in, as I've stated,
attic used only as storage(the Christmas tree, luggage,
unused toys awaiting tag sale, etc).

Even on 'THIS OLD HOUSE' in an episode featuring a
'Net Zero' energy project, the roof consists of no less
than three layers of styrofoam insulation and vapor
barriers, the final roof planking, another barrier, and
finally, the shingles A total of 20" of insulation BELOW
the shingles!

So I guess techniques are changing. But I continue to
recommend the old fashioned way - NO insulation under
the rafters of an attic where only the Samsonite family,
and Barbie & Ken, reside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

7:40 wrote:

"I think the crux of the issue is not really insulation - but rather
ventilation ... is your "storage " area going to be well
ventilated to the great outdoors - or sealed off from outside
temperatures ?
John T. "

In a traditional unoccupied attic, the only thing the roof keeps
out is the beating sun in summer, and precipitation and strong
winds year round. Other than that, it is ventilated, around the
edges where the eaves meet the attic deck, and optionally,
via a ridge vent along the peak. That is why we insulate the
attic deck(the ceilings of the highest rooms in the house).

This should be common knowledge John.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 19:46:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have always gone by the philosophy that
the overhead(roof) rafters should not be
batted unless the attic will be fully sheet-rocked,
climate-controlled and lived in, and only the attic
floor(ceilings below) should be insulated.
Am I correct?

"I think the crux of the issue is not really insulation - but rather
ventilation ... is your "storage " area going to be well
ventilated to the great outdoors - or sealed off from outside
temperatures ?
John T. "

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 05:35:54 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

In a traditional unoccupied attic, the only thing the roof keeps
out is the beating sun in summer, and precipitation and strong
winds year round. Other than that, it is ventilated, around the
edges where the eaves meet the attic deck, and optionally,
via a ridge vent along the peak. That is why we insulate the
attic deck(the ceilings of the highest rooms in the house).
This should be common knowledge John.

How clever ! You've answered your own question, apparently. :-)
I have seen old 2 1/2 story houses where the "attic" is not really
"living space" ie: has no HVAC nor electricity, but has a walk-up
access and therefore is used as storage space. These areas will have
whatever ventilation and insulation combinations that 100 + years of
numerous homeowners have deemed proper at the time. buyer beware
John T.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 8:35:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
7:40 wrote:

"I think the crux of the issue is not really insulation - but rather
ventilation ... is your "storage " area going to be well
ventilated to the great outdoors - or sealed off from outside
temperatures ?
John T. "

In a traditional unoccupied attic, the only thing the roof keeps
out is the beating sun in summer, and precipitation and strong
winds year round. Other than that, it is ventilated, around the
edges where the eaves meet the attic deck, and optionally,
via a ridge vent along the peak. That is why we insulate the
attic deck(the ceilings of the highest rooms in the house).

This should be common knowledge John.

Agree. The OP doesn't say how the attic is ventilated. Without adequate
ventilation, air won't move to equalize humidity levels between inside
and out. Also, is there a vapor barrier on the insulation in the attic,
facing the living space? Is he sure that all bath vents, dryer vents,
etc are properly run outside and not into the attic? And regardless of all
of the above, I would think there would be periods where the humidity level
inside the attic will be much higher than outside. If it was humid outside
at 65F and then at night the temp quickly drops to 35F, the humidity will
go up until enough air moves to equalize it again.