Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well - done

Installers just left. Drilling and casing yesterday took less than 5
hours. Not sure of depth, maybe 160 ft, but recovery rate is about 25
gpm which is great.

Today we were without water for about 6 hours for installation of pump
trenching and hook up and replacement of old water tank. They have to
come back in good weather to finish raking and grading and straw and I
guess seed. Have yet to see bill. They could not salvage the new pump
that plumber put in.

Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next week
when chlorine is run out. Digger said just because new well is less
than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the same. I
just hope it does not need treatment. Some neighbors do and a few only
drink bottled water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2019 3:37 PM, Frank wrote:
Installers just left.Â* Drilling and casing yesterday took less than 5
hours.Â* Not sure of depth, maybe 160 ft, but recovery rate is about 25
gpm which is great.

Today we were without water for about 6 hours for installation of pump
trenching and hook up and replacement of old water tank.Â* They have to
come back in good weather to finish raking and grading and straw and I
guess seed.Â* Have yet to see bill.Â* They could not salvage the new pump
that plumber put in.

Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next week
when chlorine is run out.Â* Digger said just because new well is less
than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the same.Â* I
just hope it does not need treatment.Â* Some neighbors do and a few only
drink bottled water.

Good flow rate. Wells often have advantages if you have good water and
no treatment needed. Before I added filters in my CT house we used to
fill jugs from a friend's well for drinking. So far, the water here has
been good.

Water and sewer will cost about $800 a year. Our sewer rate is much
higher than what we pay for water. Water last month was $18, sewer was
$41. Trash collection was $14 for twice a week pickup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Water and sewer will cost about $800 a year. Our sewer rate is much
higher than what we pay for water. Water last month was $18, sewer was
$41. Trash collection was $14 for twice a week pickup.

twice per week ! ? garbage.
We're once every 2 weeks ...
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2019 4:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/7/2019 3:37 PM, Frank wrote:
Installers just left.Â* Drilling and casing yesterday took less than 5
hours.Â* Not sure of depth, maybe 160 ft, but recovery rate is about 25
gpm which is great.

Today we were without water for about 6 hours for installation of pump
trenching and hook up and replacement of old water tank.Â* They have to
come back in good weather to finish raking and grading and straw and I
guess seed.Â* Have yet to see bill.Â* They could not salvage the new
pump that plumber put in.

Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next
week when chlorine is run out.Â* Digger said just because new well is
less than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the
same.Â* I just hope it does not need treatment.Â* Some neighbors do and
a few only drink bottled water.

Good flow rate.Â* Wells often have advantages if you have good water and
no treatment needed.Â* Before I added filters in my CT house we used to
fill jugs from a friend's well for drinking.Â* So far, the water here has
been good.

Water and sewer will cost about $800 a year.Â* Our sewer rate is much
higher than what we pay for water.Â* Water last month was $18, sewer was
$41. Trash collection was $14 for twice a week pickup.

I think sewer rate here is a little lower but water much higher. A
bachelor friend pays about $40 and families about $100/month. Over the
long haul you can save with well and septic but when a fix is needed you
get socked all at once. I think I would prefer the stable route in part
because government specifications change. Two neighbors when they sold
their houses were forced to put chemical treatment facilities in that
take grey water from septic tank into a tank that removes most bacteria
and heavy metals before hitting the leach field. County must have
tightened up on perk rate of septic fields. Fortunately I have
evaporation beds. It cost these neighbors $25,000 each.

Trash and recycle removal once a week cost about $60 for 3 months.

Our old well when installed had recovery rate of 30 gpm. Water was
great with no treatment. When my parents were alive and their city
water got over chlorinated because of a spill they would get their
drinking water from me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/07/2019 01:37 PM, Frank wrote:
Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next week
when chlorine is run out. Digger said just because new well is less
than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the same. I
just hope it does not need treatment. Some neighbors do and a few only
drink bottled water.

Worst case you get sulfur... When I was a kid we had a dug shallow
well. After my father died my mother had a new well drilled because that
was 'better'. Nothing like a hot shower that smells like a fart. The
coffee was great too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2019 10:25 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/07/2019 01:37 PM, Frank wrote:
Cannot drink water until it is tested and can't do that until next week
when chlorine is run out.Â* Digger said just because new well is less
than 50 ft from the old one does not mean water will be the same.Â* I
just hope it does not need treatment.Â* Some neighbors do and a few only
drink bottled water.

Worst case you get sulfur...Â* When I was a kid we had a dug shallow
well. After my father died my mother had a new well drilled because that
was 'better'. Nothing like a hot shower that smells like a fart. The
coffee was great too.

I'm familiar with that from a friends hunting camp in central PA. You
could not drink or cook with the water. We had to go downhill a couple
of hundred yards to get spring water to drink.

This is gas and coal country and in fact when they bought the camp they
did not know mineral rights were separate and they got sold to a gas
company before they found out. The gas company came in many years later
and put 2 wells on the 40 acre property. The camp gets free gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/19 7:10 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Our old well when installed had recovery rate of 30 gpm.Â* Water was
great with no treatment.Â* When my parents were alive and their city
water got over chlorinated because of a spill they would get their
drinking water from me.

I used to live in the country, and we had well water. It was really good
for drinking, but bad for washing (takes too long to get the soap out).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." -- Graham Greene,
1981

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2019 8:36 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 2/7/19 7:10 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Our old well when installed had recovery rate of 30 gpm.Â* Water was
great with no treatment.Â* When my parents were alive and their city
water got over chlorinated because of a spill they would get their
drinking water from me.

I used to live in the country, and we had well water. It was really good
for drinking, but bad for washing (takes too long to get the soap out).

Hard water, lots of calcium, does that.

I have to test my water and will get a kit and do it myself. The state
can do it for $4 but it will take a couple weeks to get full results and
over a week to get bacteria. My wife will not drink or even wash with
it until we get the bacteria test.

Old well water was border line calcium and plumber wanted to put in
treatment which exchanges calcium for sodium. I declined but a neighbor
was treating his and discovered he was not allowed to put the sodium
flush effluent into the septic and had to put in a separate drain field.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07 Feb 2019, Clare Snyder wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Here in Waterloo recycling is weekly and garbage every 2 weeks

Huh! Seems backward. Here in my Boston suburb, garbage is weekly and
recycling is every 2 weeks. That works out about right because if I
ever come close to filling the recycle bin, it takes at least two
weeks. And I'd hate to keep stinky garbage around any longer than a
week, especially in the summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 13:58:17 -0500, Nil
wrote:

On 07 Feb 2019, Clare Snyder wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Here in Waterloo recycling is weekly and garbage every 2 weeks

Huh! Seems backward. Here in my Boston suburb, garbage is weekly and
recycling is every 2 weeks. That works out about right because if I
ever come close to filling the recycle bin, it takes at least two
weeks. And I'd hate to keep stinky garbage around any longer than a
week, especially in the summer.

Here we have "blue box" and "green biox" recycling so there is no
"smelly garbage" all food waste is "green box" all paper, tin cans,
and plastic is "blue box"

Works out pretty good even in 90F humid summer - although 2x per week
for the green box wouldn't hurt. Some people keep a bag in the freezer
and toss the "cube" on pickup day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 07 Feb 2019, Clare Snyder wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Here in Waterloo recycling is weekly and garbage every 2 weeks

Huh! Seems backward. Here in my Boston suburb, garbage is weekly and
recycling is every 2 weeks. That works out about right because if I
ever come close to filling the recycle bin, it takes at least two
weeks. And I'd hate to keep stinky garbage around any longer than a
week, especially in the summer.

Here we have "blue box" and "green biox" recycling so there is no
"smelly garbage" all food waste is "green box" all paper, tin cans,
and plastic is "blue box"

Works out pretty good even in 90F humid summer - although 2x per week
for the green box wouldn't hurt. Some people keep a bag in the freezer
and toss the "cube" on pickup day.

The ironic thing is I bet most of the green box stuff ends up in the
same landfill as the blue box. Since China stopped taking our recycle
they don't have much else to do with most of it. Metal still has some
value but the typical unsorted paper and glass is useless and they
really only recycle #1 & #2 plastic. Where we are, the most useful
thing to do with it is burn it in a waste to energy plant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote
Clare Snyder wrote

Here in Waterloo recycling is weekly and garbage every 2 weeks

Huh! Seems backward. Here in my Boston suburb,
garbage is weekly and recycling is every 2 weeks.

Same here.

That works out about right because if I ever come close
to filling the recycle bin, it takes at least two weeks.

I only do that in a big cleanup.

And I'd hate to keep stinky garbage around any
longer than a week, especially in the summer.

I keep anything like that in the fridge until bin day and
its only stuff like the bone in a roast leg of lamb etc and
stuff that has been in the fridge too long and went mouldy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, all of our "green box" goes to a composting facility. Some also
goes to a biogas plant. The blue box stuff gets sorted and some DOES
end up in landfill, but very little. Metals are all recycled. Glass
and plastics are a bit more problematic. Waterloo Region was the
"home" of bluebox recycling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08 Feb 2019, Clare Snyder wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Here we have "blue box" and "green biox" recycling so there is no
"smelly garbage" all food waste is "green box" all paper, tin
cans, and plastic is "blue box"

We have "single stream" recycling - paper, metal, and certain plastics
go into one bin. We have no recycling of organic stuff, unfortunately.
If I had use for compost and a place to prepare it, I would.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK I misunderstood. I thought green was recycle and blue was trash
(everything else). There is no compost here unless you are talking
about horticulture waste and they don't know what to do with all they
get now. They try to make mulch out of it but they can't even give it
away. There is about a half million cubic yards piled up since the
summer of 17 and air pollution rules won't even let them burn it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Put "lawn and garden waste" is mulched - and used extensively in the
walking trail system as well as being made available free for
homeowners who want it. Mostly wood chips.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We already had this conversation but mulch is just not that popular
here. I never see it in the park system and most homeowners want
better mulch than you get from yard waste. Too many weeds and other
things that will create exactly what you are mulching to get rid of.
Palm tree mulch is pretty much useless for anything.
Mulch also seems to attract a lot of carpenter ants and the ones
people are scared of like scorpions or those cockroaches the size of
your thumb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't want it in Florida either.
Personally "I" won't use it in my yard either here - but it works good
on the trail system to keep things "dry" and it eventually composts
down to soil
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/10/2019 11:18 AM, wrote:

Toronto found some other landfill ~ 2010 after about 10 - 12
years of trucking it to Michigan.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...higan-1.913880

" At the height of the deal, 142 trucks a day were making the trip,
hauling an estimated 10,000 tons of garbage daily. "

I had to check the map to refresh my memory. I've set up molding systems
in Toronto, Mississagua, and Guelph but didn't remember Toronto being
anywhere in the vicinity of Michigan. I guess it is, sort of. I've went
across that part of Ontario to get from NY to Port Huron so I guess it
would work. Even London is about 3/4 of the way to Michigan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 19:19:26 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/10/2019 11:18 AM, wrote:

Toronto found some other landfill ~ 2010 after about 10 - 12
years of trucking it to Michigan.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...higan-1.913880

" At the height of the deal, 142 trucks a day were making the trip,
hauling an estimated 10,000 tons of garbage daily. "

I had to check the map to refresh my memory. I've set up molding systems
in Toronto, Mississagua, and Guelph but didn't remember Toronto being
anywhere in the vicinity of Michigan. I guess it is, sort of. I've went
across that part of Ontario to get from NY to Port Huron so I guess it
would work. Even London is about 3/4 of the way to Michigan.

It's not particularly close - about 300Km from Toronto to Port Huron
- cannot have been a cheap proposition but it made Verspeeten a lot of
money - - -and kept a lot of truckers employed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2019 03:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
It's not particularly close - about 300Km from Toronto to Port Huron
- cannot have been a cheap proposition but it made Verspeeten a lot of
money - - -and kept a lot of truckers employed.

I'm sure. Unless my mental math is way off you could do two round trips
a day even with the 14 hour rule. That's assuming a drop and hook
operation so you're not sitting in seagull city for a few hours waiting
to unload.

That would drive me crazy. I used to get antsy if I did a couple of back
to back runs from LA to Seattle. The only thing worse is driving a
tractor. Focus on that tree, hope you don't fall asleep before you get
there, make a u-turn and find another tree to aim at. I didn't have one
of those fancy climate controlled cabs with an entertainment center
either, just an elderly Minneapolis-Moline.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 20:04:34 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/11/2019 03:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
It's not particularly close - about 300Km from Toronto to Port Huron
- cannot have been a cheap proposition but it made Verspeeten a lot of
money - - -and kept a lot of truckers employed.

I'm sure. Unless my mental math is way off you could do two round trips
a day even with the 14 hour rule. That's assuming a drop and hook
operation so you're not sitting in seagull city for a few hours waiting
to unload.

That would drive me crazy. I used to get antsy if I did a couple of back
to back runs from LA to Seattle. The only thing worse is driving a
tractor. Focus on that tree, hope you don't fall asleep before you get
there, make a u-turn and find another tree to aim at. I didn't have one
of those fancy climate controlled cabs with an entertainment center
either, just an elderly Minneapolis-Moline.

For me it was a 540 Cockshutt and a Massey Harris 44. The roar of
the massey wasn't bad, but the whine of that darn 540 was totally
hypnotic - it would put you to sleep half way across the feild -
particularly with the "kerchunk- kerchunk" of the old New Holland
baler imposed over it
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/11/2019 03:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
It's not particularly close - about 300Km from Toronto to Port Huron
- cannot have been a cheap proposition but it made Verspeeten a lot of
money - - -and kept a lot of truckers employed.

I'm sure. Unless my mental math is way off you could do two round trips
a day even with the 14 hour rule. That's assuming a drop and hook
operation so you're not sitting in seagull city for a few hours waiting
to unload.

That would drive me crazy. I used to get antsy if I did a couple of back
to back runs from LA to Seattle. The only thing worse is driving a
tractor. Focus on that tree, hope you don't fall asleep before you get
there, make a u-turn and find another tree to aim at. I didn't have one
of those fancy climate controlled cabs with an entertainment center
either, just an elderly Minneapolis-Moline.

Back in the Children's Band radio days I got to know some of the
truckers running up and down I-95. You talked to the same guys at the
same place at the same time almost every night. If they weren't there
they had trouble. It was worse than driving a bus but most of them
seemed to like it. I rescued one of the guys one night, got him to a
phone and back to his truck. It was like pulling the thorn out of the
lion's paw. Suddenly I was in the gang. It certainly made driving to
Florida a lot faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2019 09:46 PM, wrote:
Back in the Children's Band radio days I got to know some of the
truckers running up and down I-95. You talked to the same guys at the
same place at the same time almost every night. If they weren't there
they had trouble. It was worse than driving a bus but most of them
seemed to like it.

I bounced around the east coast a few times when dispatch was
repositioning me for a load back west. As far as I could tell it sucked.
Screw around most of the afternoon getting a load, drive five or six
hours at night to go 300 miles, spend the morning getting unloaded and
put up with crappy truck stops in between.

My idea of a worthwhile run was LA to Dalton and back or even LA to
Denver. You usually got to drive during the day, sleep at night, and
live like a human. Sometimes LA to Dalton was a little intense and you'd
catch about 5 hours of sleep in Amarillo, but then you'd go to
Adairsville and hang around for a day or two.

I only got to Florida a couple of times and the last was a disaster. I
always carried a bike and I went out for a ride. Wrecked the bike, broke
a few ribs, and my collar bone in two places but I'd be damned if I'd go
to an ER in Jacksonville knowing they wouldn't let me back in the truck.
Lots of ibuprofen but I got it back to Montana. I was supposed to go on
to Seattle but I called my dispatcher and told her I was done when I got
to town. Broken ribs are the gift that keeps on giving for about six
months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 23:19:23 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/11/2019 09:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

Kid brother did LDT for many years -Atlanta to Fairbanks, Vancouver
to Brownsville, Florida to Edmonton,Toronto to San Diego, in and out
of New Jersey from Winterpeg, up and down the west coast, New York to
LA, just about any run you could imagine, as well as a season on the
ice. He HATED New Jersey.

For several years he team drove with his wife, and on west coast runs
he always had the Kayaks strapped to the back of the sleeper. He told
dispatch he didn't care if he had a 1 week layover in Cali or Oregon -
he'd wait for a GOOD load out and ENJOY some down time. One year he
was "home" in Saskatchewan for a total of EIGHT DAYS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank posted for all of us...

On 2/8/2019 8:36 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 2/7/19 7:10 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Here it is the opposite. All dirty water goes into the septic. I believe we
live in PA.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/12/2019 12:41 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Kid brother did LDT for many years -Atlanta to Fairbanks, Vancouver
to Brownsville, Florida to Edmonton,Toronto to San Diego, in and out
of New Jersey from Winterpeg, up and down the west coast, New York to
LA, just about any run you could imagine, as well as a season on the
ice. He HATED New Jersey.

There is a lot to hate in NJ.

For several years he team drove with his wife, and on west coast runs
he always had the Kayaks strapped to the back of the sleeper. He told
dispatch he didn't care if he had a 1 week layover in Cali or Oregon -
he'd wait for a GOOD load out and ENJOY some down time. One year he
was "home" in Saskatchewan for a total of EIGHT DAYS.

With the bicycle I never minded downtime, particularly California
downtime in the winter. I'd get home every now and then but that had
it's drawbacks. About the only thing going out of town was liner board
from the pulp mill. It didn't pay but it got you back into action.
Canada was the same. I'd bring furniture in but we couldn't run between
two points in Canada so you took whatever you got that was going back to
the States.

Furniture and carpets were what really made money for the company.
Shippers knew that so you'd bring good paying loads into Denver and take
dog food out.

It was fun for a while. I wanted to drive a truck when I was a kid so I
took a little break from software in the '90s to do it. No way would I
have wanted to look at the rest of my life and think this is how it's
going to be. After a couple of years I'd head for AZ in November and go
back to work in the spring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2019 3:39 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Frank posted for all of us...

On 2/8/2019 8:36 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 2/7/19 7:10 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

[...]

What I have learned in the last couple of years with the neighborhood
turning over is that state and county rules have changed so what was OK
to do in the past is now not up to code.

You can live with that but when you go to sell the house the buyer finds
out that some things are not up to code and insists that they are if you
want him to buy the house.

I went through this with my new deck not too long ago. Existing deck
had footers resting on a patio beneath it. There was no problem with
footers but the rest of the deck was a mess. New deck code requires
that footers go below frost line which is 3 feet and contractor sawed
through concrete patio for footers to be up to code. When I looked at
the codes throughout our small state of Delaware with three counties I
found codes differed in all three counties. My old deck would have been
code in the other counties.

Also mentioned 2 neighbors with septics that when they sold their houses
to get them up to code they had to put in grey water treatment tanks
which remove most of the heavy metals and bacteria before going to the
leach fields. Apparently the perk specs have changed where higher perk
rates are restricted even more. Cost these guys $25,000 each. I think
I am safe from this one as my septic beds are evaporation beds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/19 2:39 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I believe we live in PA.

Not sure? Maybe it's CA?

--
"Civilization has come about by going to school more than to church."
[Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays_]