Old February 9th 19, 05:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well - done

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 21:58:49 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 16:47:14 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 15:24:07 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 14:38:09 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 13:58:17 -0500, Nil
wrote:

On 07 Feb 2019, Clare Snyder wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Here in Waterloo recycling is weekly and garbage every 2 weeks

Huh! Seems backward. Here in my Boston suburb, garbage is weekly and
recycling is every 2 weeks. That works out about right because if I
ever come close to filling the recycle bin, it takes at least two
weeks. And I'd hate to keep stinky garbage around any longer than a
week, especially in the summer.
Here we have "blue box" and "green biox" recycling so there is no
"smelly garbage" all food waste is "green box" all paper, tin cans,
and plastic is "blue box"

Works out pretty good even in 90F humid summer - although 2x per week
for the green box wouldn't hurt. Some people keep a bag in the freezer
and toss the "cube" on pickup day.

The ironic thing is I bet most of the green box stuff ends up in the
same landfill as the blue box. Since China stopped taking our recycle
they don't have much else to do with most of it. Metal still has some
value but the typical unsorted paper and glass is useless and they
really only recycle #1 & #2 plastic. Where we are, the most useful
thing to do with it is burn it in a waste to energy plant.

No, all of our "green box" goes to a composting facility. Some also
goes to a biogas plant. The blue box stuff gets sorted and some DOES
end up in landfill, but very little. Metals are all recycled. Glass
and plastics are a bit more problematic. Waterloo Region was the
"home" of bluebox recycling.

OK I misunderstood. I thought green was recycle and blue was trash
(everything else). There is no compost here unless you are talking
about horticulture waste and they don't know what to do with all they
get now. They try to make mulch out of it but they can't even give it
away. There is about a half million cubic yards piled up since the
summer of 17 and air pollution rules won't even let them burn it.

Put "lawn and garden waste" is mulched - and used extensively in the
walking trail system as well as being made available free for
homeowners who want it. Mostly wood chips.

Old February 9th 19, 06:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We already had this conversation but mulch is just not that popular
here. I never see it in the park system and most homeowners want
better mulch than you get from yard waste. Too many weeds and other
things that will create exactly what you are mulching to get rid of.
Palm tree mulch is pretty much useless for anything.
Mulch also seems to attract a lot of carpenter ants and the ones
people are scared of like scorpions or those cockroaches the size of
your thumb.
Old February 10th 19, 04:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't want it in Florida either.
Personally "I" won't use it in my yard either here - but it works good
on the trail system to keep things "dry" and it eventually composts
down to soil
Old February 11th 19, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/10/2019 11:18 AM, wrote:

Toronto found some other landfill ~ 2010 after about 10 - 12
years of trucking it to Michigan.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...higan-1.913880

" At the height of the deal, 142 trucks a day were making the trip,
hauling an estimated 10,000 tons of garbage daily. "

I had to check the map to refresh my memory. I've set up molding systems
in Toronto, Mississagua, and Guelph but didn't remember Toronto being
anywhere in the vicinity of Michigan. I guess it is, sort of. I've went
across that part of Ontario to get from NY to Port Huron so I guess it
would work. Even London is about 3/4 of the way to Michigan.
Old February 11th 19, 10:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 19:19:26 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/10/2019 11:18 AM, wrote:

Toronto found some other landfill ~ 2010 after about 10 - 12
years of trucking it to Michigan.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...higan-1.913880

" At the height of the deal, 142 trucks a day were making the trip,
hauling an estimated 10,000 tons of garbage daily. "

I had to check the map to refresh my memory. I've set up molding systems
in Toronto, Mississagua, and Guelph but didn't remember Toronto being
anywhere in the vicinity of Michigan. I guess it is, sort of. I've went
across that part of Ontario to get from NY to Port Huron so I guess it
would work. Even London is about 3/4 of the way to Michigan.

It's not particularly close - about 300Km from Toronto to Port Huron
- cannot have been a cheap proposition but it made Verspeeten a lot of
money - - -and kept a lot of truckers employed.

Old February 12th 19, 03:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2019 03:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
It's not particularly close - about 300Km from Toronto to Port Huron
- cannot have been a cheap proposition but it made Verspeeten a lot of
money - - -and kept a lot of truckers employed.

I'm sure. Unless my mental math is way off you could do two round trips
a day even with the 14 hour rule. That's assuming a drop and hook
operation so you're not sitting in seagull city for a few hours waiting
to unload.

That would drive me crazy. I used to get antsy if I did a couple of back
to back runs from LA to Seattle. The only thing worse is driving a
tractor. Focus on that tree, hope you don't fall asleep before you get
there, make a u-turn and find another tree to aim at. I didn't have one
of those fancy climate controlled cabs with an entertainment center
either, just an elderly Minneapolis-Moline.
Old February 12th 19, 03:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 20:04:34 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/11/2019 03:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
It's not particularly close - about 300Km from Toronto to Port Huron
- cannot have been a cheap proposition but it made Verspeeten a lot of
money - - -and kept a lot of truckers employed.

I'm sure. Unless my mental math is way off you could do two round trips
a day even with the 14 hour rule. That's assuming a drop and hook
operation so you're not sitting in seagull city for a few hours waiting
to unload.

That would drive me crazy. I used to get antsy if I did a couple of back
to back runs from LA to Seattle. The only thing worse is driving a
tractor. Focus on that tree, hope you don't fall asleep before you get
there, make a u-turn and find another tree to aim at. I didn't have one
of those fancy climate controlled cabs with an entertainment center
either, just an elderly Minneapolis-Moline.

For me it was a 540 Cockshutt and a Massey Harris 44. The roar of
the massey wasn't bad, but the whine of that darn 540 was totally
hypnotic - it would put you to sleep half way across the feild -
particularly with the "kerchunk- kerchunk" of the old New Holland
baler imposed over it
Old February 12th 19, 04:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/11/2019 03:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
It's not particularly close - about 300Km from Toronto to Port Huron
- cannot have been a cheap proposition but it made Verspeeten a lot of
money - - -and kept a lot of truckers employed.

I'm sure. Unless my mental math is way off you could do two round trips
a day even with the 14 hour rule. That's assuming a drop and hook
operation so you're not sitting in seagull city for a few hours waiting
to unload.

That would drive me crazy. I used to get antsy if I did a couple of back
to back runs from LA to Seattle. The only thing worse is driving a
tractor. Focus on that tree, hope you don't fall asleep before you get
there, make a u-turn and find another tree to aim at. I didn't have one
of those fancy climate controlled cabs with an entertainment center
either, just an elderly Minneapolis-Moline.

Back in the Children's Band radio days I got to know some of the
truckers running up and down I-95. You talked to the same guys at the
same place at the same time almost every night. If they weren't there
they had trouble. It was worse than driving a bus but most of them
seemed to like it. I rescued one of the guys one night, got him to a
phone and back to his truck. It was like pulling the thorn out of the
lion's paw. Suddenly I was in the gang. It certainly made driving to
Florida a lot faster.
Old February 12th 19, 06:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/11/2019 09:46 PM, wrote:
Back in the Children's Band radio days I got to know some of the
truckers running up and down I-95. You talked to the same guys at the
same place at the same time almost every night. If they weren't there
they had trouble. It was worse than driving a bus but most of them
seemed to like it.

I bounced around the east coast a few times when dispatch was
repositioning me for a load back west. As far as I could tell it sucked.
Screw around most of the afternoon getting a load, drive five or six
hours at night to go 300 miles, spend the morning getting unloaded and
put up with crappy truck stops in between.

My idea of a worthwhile run was LA to Dalton and back or even LA to
Denver. You usually got to drive during the day, sleep at night, and
live like a human. Sometimes LA to Dalton was a little intense and you'd
catch about 5 hours of sleep in Amarillo, but then you'd go to
Adairsville and hang around for a day or two.

I only got to Florida a couple of times and the last was a disaster. I
always carried a bike and I went out for a ride. Wrecked the bike, broke
a few ribs, and my collar bone in two places but I'd be damned if I'd go
to an ER in Jacksonville knowing they wouldn't let me back in the truck.
Lots of ibuprofen but I got it back to Montana. I was supposed to go on
to Seattle but I called my dispatcher and told her I was done when I got
to town. Broken ribs are the gift that keeps on giving for about six
months.
Old February 12th 19, 07:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 23:19:23 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/11/2019 09:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

Kid brother did LDT for many years -Atlanta to Fairbanks, Vancouver
to Brownsville, Florida to Edmonton,Toronto to San Diego, in and out
of New Jersey from Winterpeg, up and down the west coast, New York to
LA, just about any run you could imagine, as well as a season on the
ice. He HATED New Jersey.

For several years he team drove with his wife, and on west coast runs
he always had the Kayaks strapped to the back of the sleeper. He told
dispatch he didn't care if he had a 1 week layover in Cali or Oregon -
he'd wait for a GOOD load out and ENJOY some down time. One year he
was "home" in Saskatchewan for a total of EIGHT DAYS.