Old February 8th 19, 03:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well - done

On 2/8/2019 8:36 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 2/7/19 7:10 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Our old well when installed had recovery rate of 30 gpm.* Water was
great with no treatment.* When my parents were alive and their city
water got over chlorinated because of a spill they would get their
drinking water from me.

I used to live in the country, and we had well water. It was really good
for drinking, but bad for washing (takes too long to get the soap out).

Hard water, lots of calcium, does that.

I have to test my water and will get a kit and do it myself. The state
can do it for $4 but it will take a couple weeks to get full results and
over a week to get bacteria. My wife will not drink or even wash with
it until we get the bacteria test.

Old well water was border line calcium and plumber wanted to put in
treatment which exchanges calcium for sodium. I declined but a neighbor
was treating his and discovered he was not allowed to put the sodium
flush effluent into the septic and had to put in a separate drain field.

Old February 8th 19, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 07 Feb 2019, Clare Snyder wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Here in Waterloo recycling is weekly and garbage every 2 weeks

Huh! Seems backward. Here in my Boston suburb, garbage is weekly and
recycling is every 2 weeks. That works out about right because if I
ever come close to filling the recycle bin, it takes at least two
weeks. And I'd hate to keep stinky garbage around any longer than a
week, especially in the summer.
Old February 8th 19, 08:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 13:58:17 -0500, Nil
wrote:

On 07 Feb 2019, Clare Snyder wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Here in Waterloo recycling is weekly and garbage every 2 weeks

Huh! Seems backward. Here in my Boston suburb, garbage is weekly and
recycling is every 2 weeks. That works out about right because if I
ever come close to filling the recycle bin, it takes at least two
weeks. And I'd hate to keep stinky garbage around any longer than a
week, especially in the summer.

Here we have "blue box" and "green biox" recycling so there is no
"smelly garbage" all food waste is "green box" all paper, tin cans,
and plastic is "blue box"

Works out pretty good even in 90F humid summer - although 2x per week
for the green box wouldn't hurt. Some people keep a bag in the freezer
and toss the "cube" on pickup day.
Old February 8th 19, 09:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 07 Feb 2019, Clare Snyder wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Here in Waterloo recycling is weekly and garbage every 2 weeks

Huh! Seems backward. Here in my Boston suburb, garbage is weekly and
recycling is every 2 weeks. That works out about right because if I
ever come close to filling the recycle bin, it takes at least two
weeks. And I'd hate to keep stinky garbage around any longer than a
week, especially in the summer.

Here we have "blue box" and "green biox" recycling so there is no
"smelly garbage" all food waste is "green box" all paper, tin cans,
and plastic is "blue box"

Works out pretty good even in 90F humid summer - although 2x per week
for the green box wouldn't hurt. Some people keep a bag in the freezer
and toss the "cube" on pickup day.

The ironic thing is I bet most of the green box stuff ends up in the
same landfill as the blue box. Since China stopped taking our recycle
they don't have much else to do with most of it. Metal still has some
value but the typical unsorted paper and glass is useless and they
really only recycle #1 & #2 plastic. Where we are, the most useful
thing to do with it is burn it in a waste to energy plant.

Old February 8th 19, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote
Clare Snyder wrote

Here in Waterloo recycling is weekly and garbage every 2 weeks

Huh! Seems backward. Here in my Boston suburb,
garbage is weekly and recycling is every 2 weeks.

Same here.

That works out about right because if I ever come close
to filling the recycle bin, it takes at least two weeks.

I only do that in a big cleanup.

And I'd hate to keep stinky garbage around any
longer than a week, especially in the summer.

I keep anything like that in the fridge until bin day and
its only stuff like the bone in a roast leg of lamb etc and
stuff that has been in the fridge too long and went mouldy.
Old February 8th 19, 10:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, all of our "green box" goes to a composting facility. Some also
goes to a biogas plant. The blue box stuff gets sorted and some DOES
end up in landfill, but very little. Metals are all recycled. Glass
and plastics are a bit more problematic. Waterloo Region was the
"home" of bluebox recycling.
Old February 9th 19, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 08 Feb 2019, Clare Snyder wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Here we have "blue box" and "green biox" recycling so there is no
"smelly garbage" all food waste is "green box" all paper, tin
cans, and plastic is "blue box"

We have "single stream" recycling - paper, metal, and certain plastics
go into one bin. We have no recycling of organic stuff, unfortunately.
If I had use for compost and a place to prepare it, I would.
Old February 9th 19, 03:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK I misunderstood. I thought green was recycle and blue was trash
(everything else). There is no compost here unless you are talking
about horticulture waste and they don't know what to do with all they
get now. They try to make mulch out of it but they can't even give it
away. There is about a half million cubic yards piled up since the
summer of 17 and air pollution rules won't even let them burn it.