Old February 6th 19, 10:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair
KMT KMT is offline

Default Boiler temperature setting question

The 13 year old hydronic heating system in my house seemed to work fine until this winter. It used to warm up the house in 2~3 hours (say from 66 f to 70 f on not so cold days ). But I have noticed the temperature is not coming up fast enough this winter. The thermostat in the room is set at 61 f overnight and starts to call for heat at 7 AM for 68 f. So for the past few days at 7 AM, the thermostat reads 59 f and starts calling for heat. The boiler cycles on and off through out the day and at 12 PM, The thermostat reads around 60 f to 61 f. ONLY 1~2 degrees up for running 5 hours!!!! The system uses Honeywell Aquastat L4103D and L6006A. The dial points at 190 f on L4103D and its set at 140 f on L6006A with Diff 5 degrees. Is this the right setting? According to the gauge on the boiler, it is tuned on at 130 f and off at 190 f. It runs about minutes before shutting off and the next cycle comes on in about minutes. Is this right? Why is the house not warming up like it used to be?

Old February 6th 19, 10:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2019 5:02 PM, KMT wrote:

[...]

First, what is the outdoor temperature? If you are used to dealing with
20 to 30 degrees and now it is suddenly -20, the warm up time will be
considerably longer and perhaps never achieved.

If it takes up to 2 hours to get from 66 to 70, the sizing is marginal
at best. My house can go from 62 to 70 in less than an hour.

There are three considerations. One is the size of the boiler itself.
If it is cycling, it is probably adequate. The next thing is the amount
of heating surface, radiators, baseboard, whatever. If you don't have
enough, it cannot move the heat from the boiler into the room.

The next is flow. Is the circulating pump working properly? Is the
water moving the way it should be? Feel the pipe and be sure it is hot
all the way through the loop. There will be some drop along the way as
it gives off heat, but should not be dramatic. The circulator is the
first thing I would check. They do go bad.

Old February 7th 19, 12:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 5:02:56 PM UTC-5, KMT wrote:
[...]

Of course it's not right. I'd say it was not right from the beginning,
if it takes 2 to 3 hours to raise the temperature from 66 to 70. That is
unless it's 0F outside. I wouldn't put up with that. I have forced air,
I can do ~5 deg in an hour.

If the boiler is hot, next question would seem to be is the circulating pump
running? Is it filled with water? Is the thermostat constantly calling
for heat?

Old February 7th 19, 04:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

If the water in the boiler is hot, are the radiators hot too?
If not, check for air in the system in which case you need to bleed the air out.
Or as trader said, the!circulator pump is not working.
Old February 7th 19, 07:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair
KMT KMT is offline

Ed Pawlowski於 2019年2月6日星期三 UTC-8下午2時33分49秒寫道:
On 2/6/2019 5:02 PM, KMT wrote:
[...]

It's between 17 f and 27 f in the daytime and 5 f overnight. I am a newbie here. I don't know if I got this right but I think the size of the boiler and the heating surface should be fine because I remembered standing on hot tiles in the kitchen when the thermostat was calling for heat,last winter and the house was warm.. As for the circulating pump, it was hot when I felt it so I think its working properly? The pipes are like "ouchy" hot when I felt them but when I was standing on the kitchen tiles, the surface only felt lukewarm. It used to be very warm before.

Old February 7th 19, 07:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4於 2019年2月6日星期三 UTC-8下午4時35分35秒寫道:
[...]

The pump should be running because it's hot and water in the pipes feel hot too. The thermostat is constantly calling for heat.

Old February 7th 19, 07:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

於 2019年2月6日星期三 UTC-8下午8時44分54秒寫道:
If the water in the boiler is hot, are the radiators hot too?
If not, check for air in the system in which case you need to bleed the air out.
Or as trader said, the!circulator pump is not working.

The radiators or the heating surface (not sure what it's called) are not hot, only lukewarm.I googled before I asked for help here and I was thinking it might be the air in the system, but as I am still learning about the whole heating system, I wanted to make sure all the temperature settings are appropriate. Are they?

Old February 7th 19, 12:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Just because the pump feels hot does not mean it is running.
The hot water will make it feel hot even if it is not
running. The water pipes should feel uniformly warm. If they
are much warmer near the boiler and cooler away from it, you
may have a circulation problem.
Is your system one zone, just one circulator.
You may want to invest in a low cost point and shoot
Thermometer from eBay.
Old February 7th 19, 01:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 2:24:56 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Water in the pipes where feels hot? A foot from the circulating pump or
20 feet away, at the farthest point, etc? Could be low on water. Did you
try bleeding air at the radiators? Like the other poster said, the pump
is near the boiler and will be hot regardless of whether water is moving
much or not. Any chance someone shut off the water feed to the boiler?