Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall mounting TV

I originally posted about this a few weeks back. Yesterday I finally
put up the mount and TV.

The TV is on an outside wall between two windows. i wanted to screw
into studs so it is a couple of inches off center. I could have easily
centered and put one side in a stud and the other side with plastic
anchors, but chose wood.

I have a 55" TV. Some articles I read say the center of the screen
should be 61" from the floor. Mine is 53" by choice. Good view from my
recliner at that height.

Anyone that can use a drill, driver, pencil and level can put up the
bracket. You really need a helper to hang the TV though.

After having the TV on a stand for years it seemed a bit high at first,
but after a few minutes, it was quite natural and easy on the eyes.
Glad I did it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2019 11:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I originally posted about this a few weeks back.Â* Yesterday I finally
put up the mount and TV.

The TV is on an outside wall between two windows.Â* i wanted to screw
into studs so it is a couple of inches off center.Â* I could have easily
centered and put one side in a stud and the other side with plastic
anchors, but chose wood.

I have a 55" TV.Â* Some articles I read say the center of the screen
should be 61" from the floor.Â* Mine is 53" by choice.Â* Good view from my
recliner at that height.

Anyone that can use a drill, driver, pencil and level can put up the
bracket.Â* You really need a helper to hang the TV though.

After having the TV on a stand for years it seemed a bit high at first,
but after a few minutes, it was quite natural and easy on the eyes. Glad
I did it.

I really don't understand why people, especially the TV home shows, want
to put TVs above a fireplace. The other day I saw one that appeared
that the bottom was about 6' off the floor. My personal preference is
to look straight out from your viewing chair and that should be about
the center of the screen or slightly below. I know of a guy that put
his TV over the fireplace and eventually bought a special mount that let
him bring it down to a more comfortable position when not using the
fireplace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 8:21:06 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

They put them there because they look good there and the fireplace is
the centerpiece of the room. Note that doesn't make them comfortable to watch
there. Earlier in another thread I said I wasn't a fan of wall mounting.
But this fireplace thing is what I was thinking about. I've watched other
TVs like Ed's mounted lower at a comfortable level and they are fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Tedesco wrote: "I really don't understand why people, especially
the TV home shows, want to put TVs above a fireplace. The other day I
saw one that appeared that the bottom was about 6' off the floor. My
personal preference is to look straight out from your viewing chair and
that should be about the center of the screen or slightly below. I know
of a guy that put his TV over the fireplace and eventually bought a special
mount that let him bring it down to a more comfortable position when not using the
fireplace. "

Welcome to the 'SHOW-ME' century Art! I'm not any more
impressed by it than you are. Unless ones viewing space is in
a bar or restaurant, there is no reason to mount or place a TV
so that the bottom edge of the screen is any more than 40" above
the floor, especially with a larger screen.

Do people walk around, or sit for that matter, with their heads
habitually tilted up or down more than 30°??

Seriously.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I originally posted about this a few weeks back. Yesterday I finally
put up the mount and TV.

The TV is on an outside wall between two windows. i wanted to screw
into studs so it is a couple of inches off center. I could have
easily centered and put one side in a stud and the other side with
plastic anchors, but chose wood.

I have a 55" TV. Some articles I read say the center of the screen
should be 61" from the floor. Mine is 53" by choice. Good view from
my recliner at that height.

Anyone that can use a drill, driver, pencil and level can put up the
bracket. You really need a helper to hang the TV though.

After having the TV on a stand for years it seemed a bit high at
first, but after a few minutes, it was quite natural and easy on the
eyes. Glad I did it.

I don't like TV's at a height that you must look up to. That's one
reason I have avoided hanging the TV from the wall, but even more is
the wire management required in order to not look at a bunch of black
wires hanging down. How did you deal with that since this is an
outside wall and how much di you have to pay for new cables?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2019 9:51 AM, badgolferman wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

For me it was easy when the house was being built. They put a
recepticle up high and a plate covering a wire though that allows the
cable to go down in the wall and exit where the cable connection is.

I still have wires around. Speaker bar, sub woofer, cable box, Amazon
Fire. Neater than it was though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 4 Feb 2019 08:21:02 -0500, Art Todesco
wrote:

[...]

Oh, Art, that's obvious. They put the TV above the fireplace so the
smoke can darken the screen and the heat can melt the transistors.

The other day I saw one that appeared
that the bottom was about 6' off the floor. My personal preference is
to look straight out from your viewing chair and that should be about
the center of the screen or slightly below. I know of a guy that put

I agree. OT Right now I'm working at my desk and my 14" TV is on a
dresser to my left. I can see it a bit even looking straight ahead.
There's a big white bottle of shampoo in front of it, instead of an
all-grey area, so I constantly keep thinking the TV is on.

his TV over the fireplace and eventually bought a special mount that let
him bring it down to a more comfortable position when not using the
fireplace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/19 11:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I have a 55" TV.Â* Some articles I read say the center of the screen should be 61" from the floor.Â* Mine is 53" by choice.Â* Good view from my recliner at that height.

When your head is resting on the recliner headrest, you don't want to be looking through your bifocals. For me, that turns out to be 56" to center of screen.