Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Bathtub safety

As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 8:37:38 AM UTC-5, Joe wrote:
As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage? Thanks

The only issue I see is locating studs to screw a suitable bar into.
Is the wall tiled where a bar would go? If so, what's on the other side?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2019 7:37 AM, Joe wrote:
As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage? Thanks

You can get grab bars that clamp onto the outside of the tub.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2019 8:37 AM, Joe wrote:
As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage? Thanks

There are many bars that go over the edge of the tub to assist
entry/exit. Do a search on Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/Bathtub-Bar...b+bar+clamp+on

There may be a local grab bar installer too. Here in Florida it is a
full time business for a few people in the area.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 9:14:17 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
On 1/29/2019 7:37 AM, Joe wrote:
As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the wall....but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage? Thanks

You can get grab bars that clamp onto the outside of the tub.

Bill

Thanks, would be helpful if you could recommend where i could get such a clamp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In Joe writes:

Thanks, would be helpful if you could recommend where i could get such a cl=
amp.

There's probably a local "council on aging" or similar
group in your area that would have a list of referrals.

If you can't find their contact info, give a call
or visit to the local librarian. They know everything...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2019 7:37 AM, Joe wrote:
As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage? Thanks

You can get grab bars that clamp onto the outside of the tub.

Bill

Thanks, would be helpful if you could recommend where i could get such a clamp.

Pharmacies often carry such stuff for invalids. My wife has one for a
ceramic tub but if your tub is plastic hers may be more difficult to get
a firm clamp.

Also see that Home Depot carries a variety of clamps. Probably cost
less than drug stores.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drive-15...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 1:47:45 PM UTC-5, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 1/29/2019 6:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/29/2019 8:37 AM, Joe wrote:
As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the wall....but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage? Thanks

There are many bars that go over the edge of the tub to assist entry/exit.Â* Do a search on Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/Bathtub-Bar...b+bar+clamp+on

There may be a local grab bar installer too.Â* Here in Florida it is a full time business for a few people in the area.

Says the dumb Pollock.
LOL

I believe the word you want is "Polack". "Pollock" is a fish.

Ed, of course, is neither.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 05:37:33 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage? Thanks

If you have a local medical supply store/outlet nearby, they may have
what yoou need.

Would this work?

https://www.medicalsupplydepot.com/Bathroom-Safety-Products-1/Bathroom-Grab-Bars-2/12-Suction-Cup-Grab-Bars.html

Installs and removes without tools or professional installation
Can be installed at any angle
Large suction cups provide an extremely strong hold
Release levers make installing and removing the suction cup grab
bars quick and easy
Red/Green color indicators on top of the handle shows “safe
secure” suction or to “re-affix” suction

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Red/Green color indicators on top of the handle shows €śsafe
secure€ť suction or to €śre-affix€ť suction

Order a wheelchair to go with it. No way I'd rely on suction cup grab
bars, ever. IMO, it's worse than having nothing. Suction cups temporarily
while transporting a glass panel is one thing. Relying on suction when it's
against tiles, of unknown perfection and condition, etc, is nuts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2019 8:32 AM, danny burstein wrote:
In Joe writes:

Thanks, would be helpful if you could recommend where i could get such a cl=
amp.

There's probably a local "council on aging" or similar
group in your area that would have a list of referrals.

If you can't find their contact info, give a call
or visit to the local librarian. They know everything...

A local "senior center" could be of help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 29 Jan 2019 05:37:33 -0800 (PST), Joe
wrote:

As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage? Thanks

There are devices you can sit on and it will lower you into the water,
then lift you up again. They are cleverly designed so that you only
lose about an inch of water depth. I've seen them on the web. I'll try
to find some.

You probably dont' need this now but in 20 years we both will.

I like to take a tub bath every day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage? Thanks

There are devices you can sit on and it will lower you into the water,
then lift you up again. They are cleverly designed so that you only
lose about an inch of water depth. I've seen them on the web. I'll try
to find some.

You probably dont' need this now but in 20 years we both will.

I like to take a tub bath every day.

Sorry they seem to be about $400, which is a lot if you only need a
little help.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSaLTnm1npU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pezKLvluCVg

https://www.caregiverproducts.com/pr... aAiqaEALw_wcB
.. This bath lift chair is also designed not to lower a person into the
tub if there is not enough battery power to lift them back up. [but it
only goes to 3" from the bottom. Maybe I was wrong about the others,
not sure.]

and more

It's a shame they can't just sell things asis, have you sign a release
releasing them from liabilty, and they would probably be 100 to 150.

Of course one might be able to get one second hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but find
it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I have some
leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a bar on the
wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage at all. I know if i
did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone suggest possibly
installing a bar or something on the right side of the tub? Or know of
something that i could put on the right side that would give me leverage?
Thanks

There are devices you can sit on and it will lower you into the water,
then lift you up again. They are cleverly designed so that you only
lose about an inch of water depth. I've seen them on the web. I'll try
to find some.

You probably dont' need this now but in 20 years we both will.

I wont, don't have a bath.

I like to take a tub bath every day.

More fool you. Whats the point in wallowing in your own filth ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but
find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I
have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed a
bar on the wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage at
all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone
suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of
the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side that
would give me leverage? Thanks

There are devices you can sit on and it will lower you into the water,
then lift you up again.Â* They are cleverly designed so that you only
lose about an inch of water depth.Â* I've seen them on the web.Â* I'll try
to find some.

You probably dont' need this now but in 20 years we both will.

I wont, don't have a bath.

I like to take a tub bath every day.

More fool you. Whats the point in wallowing in your own filth ?

Totally agree. A shower is quicker/much cleaner/cheaper and easier to

get in and out.
No contest.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have suction type handles in shower and tub. They are OK but as any
suction device will eventually have to be reattached. I wouldn't rely
on them for full support.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Typical. Someone comes here with an on topic, legitimate AHR type question
and the Ozzie asshole joins the thread to insult them instead of helping.
And then he tries to tell us what's wrong in the world and sitting in
Australia, he has the answers to all the world's problems. We recently
got rid of one major asshole, unfortunately we gained another.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 08:13:43 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Would this work?

https://www.medicalsupplydepot.com/Bathroom-Safety-Products-1/Bathroom-Grab-Bars-2/12-Suction-Cup-Grab-Bars.html

Installs and removes without tools or professional installation
Can be installed at any angle
Large suction cups provide an extremely strong hold
Release levers make installing and removing the suction cup grab
bars quick and easy
Red/Green color indicators on top of the handle shows “safe
secure” suction or to “re-affix” suction

I have suction type handles in shower and tub. They are OK but as any
suction device will eventually have to be reattached. I wouldn't rely
on them for full support.

The cups can loose suction. We used them doing door & window
installs.

http://asrentall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/glass-suction-cup.jpg
Now and then they would need service parts and maintenance
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

He had already got help with his question and I commented on Mickies 's
point anyway.

And then he tries to tell us what's wrong in the world and sitting in
Australia, he has the answers to all the world's problems. We recently
got rid of one major asshole, unfortunately we gained another.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 29 Jan 2019 23:15:15 -0500, micky
wrote:

This bath lift chair is also designed not to lower a person into the
tub if there is not enough battery power to lift them back up. [but it
only goes to 3" from the bottom. Maybe I was wrong about the others,
not sure.]

One of the others went to 2 1/4 inches. I didn't look at any others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2019 8:37 AM, Joe wrote:
As a senior, i would like to just soak in the tub occasionally, but
find it very distressful getting out of the tub. i am alone. Now, I
have some leverage on my left side, where 'bath fitters' installed
a bar on the wall...but its the right side where i have no leverage
at all. I know if i did, then there would be no problem. Can anyone
suggest possibly installing a bar or something on the right side of
the tub? Or know of something that i could put on the right side
that would give me leverage? Thanks

There are many bars that go over the edge of the tub to assist
entry/exit.Â* Do a search on Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/Bathtub-Bar...b+bar+clamp+on

There may be a local grab bar installer too.Â* Here in Florida it is
a full time business for a few people in the area.

Says the dumb Pollock.
LOL

I believe the word you want is "Polack".Â* "Pollock" is a fish.

Ed, of course, is neither.

Cindy Hamilton

Colonel Edmund J. Burke is very precise.Â* I suspect he was calling Ed a
North Atlantic fish (genus Pollachius).

I'm curious why he said anything. I don't comment on what he posts as he
resides in my KF. I guess he was bored.
Junior Member

Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to Timothyacima Send a message via AIM to Timothyacima Send a message via Yahoo to Timothyacima Send a message via Skype™ to Timothyacima

I have thought and have removed this phrase