Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cellular for home internet

Ever since I started using cellular for home internet, it works better than the wireless internet, where they put an antenna on the roof pointed at a tower around ten miles away.

There's no more starting and stopping when watching video, and I save over twenty dollars a month. Cricket Wireless cost $55.00 dollars with unlimited data.

This is real internet with no frustration when watching video. I've been using a little over 32 gigs a month.

I just felt like sharing in case someone else might want to try this. It's the best internet I've ever had.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 00:49:51 -0600, "Dogma"
wrote:

Ever since I started using cellular for home internet, it works better than the wireless internet,
where they put an antenna on the roof pointed at a tower around ten miles away.
There's no more starting and stopping when watching video, and I save over twenty dollars
a month. Cricket Wireless cost $55.00 dollars with unlimited data.
This is real internet with no frustration when watching video. I've been using a little over 32 gigs a month.
I just felt like sharing in case someone else might want to try this. It's the best internet I've ever had.

Things must have changed in cellular internet or your area is much
better than mine. My first upgrade from dial-up was to cellular,
about 10 years ago because the other services were not available
Cellular was very expensive to get a useful amount of bandwidth per
month - I contracted the minimum amount 5 gig and was always
max'ing out. The speed was acceptable, but not great perhaps it
was throttled back because of my minimal plan ?
When decent rural broadband became available I switched and was much
happier with the price / bandwidth plans ; the speed was fine ; the
reliability was OK not great but the excellent customer service
made-up-for it. Explornet especially compared to the Bell cellular.
Once we got fiber - it was a no-brainer to switch everything -
phone + internet + TV in a bundle.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 1:49:54 AM UTC-5, Dogma wrote:
Ever since I started using cellular for home internet, it works better than the wireless internet, where they put an antenna on the roof pointed at a tower around ten miles away.

There's no more starting and stopping when watching video, and I save over twenty dollars a month. Cricket Wireless cost $55.00 dollars with unlimited data.

This is real internet with no frustration when watching video. I've been using a little over 32 gigs a month.

I just felt like sharing in case someone else might want to try this. It's the best internet I've ever had.

How much data do you use in a month? That is a big fly in the ointment.
All the cell carriers that I know of, have a cap on high speed data,
typically at ~~22GB per month on unlimited plans, much less on other,
lower cost plans. For typical cell phone use for most people, they won't
get to 22gb. But if you're using it for home internet, including streaming
videos, I would think you would. At which time, those plans slow down
to 2G speeds, ie 100Kbits or so.

It working, I don't doubt. I'm on MintMobile, which uses the TMobile
network. I see download speeds of 170Mbit/sec here in NJ when at full
speed. Another factor anyone looking into this should consider is what
the policy is at the carrier they are considering for using it for
hotspot/tethering. Many carriers have restrictions that limit that
usage more or charge extra, etc. Meaning your plan could have a 22gb
cap, but only 10 gb for hotspot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 9:01:31 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Also found this from Cricket:

Data speed limited to max of 3 Mbps. Video streaming at SD quality.
After 22GB/line/mo., you may experience slower data speeds than other Cricket customers during network congestion.

So it sounds like you won't be doing HD video? Or does it actually work?
Have you tried it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

A lot of things have changed in the ten years since you tried cellular for home internet.

After I started using cricket wireless and saw how good it's doing, I started watching YouTube videos about it, and the videos say they ignore the caps they claim to have.

About 99% of usage with cricket is with a hotspot connection and they don't throttle that or seem to care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Whatever video quality it's playing at is good enough quality for me. I've gone well over 22 gigs and there hasn't been any throttling that I can tell. Most of my usage is with hotspot connections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 13:44:15 -0600, "Dogma"

[...]

Download speeds max of 8Mbps (LTE)/4Mbps (4G) for all data plans
except our Unlimited plans.The Unlimited plan offers data speeds max
of 3Mbps; video streamingat SD quality (about 480p). After 22 GB of
data usage on the Unlimited Plan, Cricket may temporarily slow data
speeds during network congestion. On the Unlimited Extra Plan,Cricket
may temporarily slow data speeds when the network is congested. Video
streaming at SD quality (about 480p). For other plans with high-speed
data allowances, speeds will bereduced to 128Kbps max if you exceed
your plan's monthly data allowance. Actual speed varies by device and
location. For more information on Cricket's mobile broadband service,
visitMobile Broadband Information

Not available in Canada except on 3rd party roaming -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2019 4:22 AM, Dogma wrote:
Still not throttled. Probably at least 97.999% usage over hotspot. Best internet I've ever had. it might do HD, I've never tried, but it's good enough quality video whatever it is.

I setup my EnGenius long range outdoor AP to work as a repeater. I can be a long way from the house and get great internet, and have my wired computers tied in too.

One-ringie-dingie