DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to remove concrete Grout (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/630043-how-remove-concrete-grout.html)

[email protected] January 28th 19 05:42 PM

How to remove concrete Grout

I bought a house with a nice outdoor, flat stone tiled walk way.
Unfortunately the tiler/installer was "quite sloppy" in a few areas.
There many of the tiles now have a thin, but annoyingly Noticeble
coating "film" of concrete grout on the top.

I have tried coarse steel wool, with limited (slow) improvement. Is
there a better/ recommended way, to remove that concrete film? I
would really like all tiles to be fully visible, no film.

PS I am NOW aware that I Inadvertently, first posted this question to
another board I follow -electronic repair. Surely my oops

Oren[_2_] January 28th 19 06:21 PM

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 12:42:20 -0500, wrote:

I bought a house with a nice outdoor, flat stone tiled walk way.
Unfortunately the tiler/installer was "quite sloppy" in a few areas.
There many of the tiles now have a thin, but annoyingly Noticeble
coating "film" of concrete grout on the top.

I have tried coarse steel wool, with limited (slow) improvement. Is
there a better/ recommended way, to remove that concrete film? I
would really like all tiles to be fully visible, no film.

PS I am NOW aware that I Inadvertently, first posted this question to
another board I follow -electronic repair. Surely my oops

A few ways:

Grout saw is one
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/084389/084389027384.jpg

Tile Lab Sulfamic Acid tile and grout cleaner (follow directions
closely)

https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/care-maintenance/cleaners/tilelab/tilelab-sulfamic-acid-cleaner.aspx

[email protected] January 28th 19 06:34 PM

How to remove concrete Grout

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 12:42:20 -0500, wrote:

I bought a house with a nice outdoor, flat stone tiled walk way.
Unfortunately the tiler/installer was "quite sloppy" in a few areas.
There many of the tiles now have a thin, but annoyingly Noticeble
coating "film" of concrete grout on the top.

I have tried coarse steel wool, with limited (slow) improvement. Is
there a better/ recommended way, to remove that concrete film? I
would really like all tiles to be fully visible, no film.

PS I am NOW aware that I Inadvertently, first posted this question to
another board I follow -electronic repair. Surely my oops

Very dilute muriatic acid will do the job
(Sparks tile cleaner)
Test it on a piece of the tile first tho.
If this is porcelain tile is shouldn't hurt it but it will eat quarry
tile.

Rod Speed January 28th 19 07:09 PM

How to remove concrete Grout

wrote

I bought a house with a nice outdoor, flat stone tiled walk way.
Unfortunately the tiler/installer was "quite sloppy" in a few areas.
There many of the tiles now have a thin, but annoyingly Noticeble
coating "film" of concrete grout on the top.

I have tried coarse steel wool, with limited (slow) improvement. Is
there a better/ recommended way, to remove that concrete film?

Yeah, you use hydrochloric acid also called muriatic acid.
That's whats used to clean mortar off the face of new brickwork.
https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Mortar-Off-Bricks

I would really like all tiles to be fully visible, no film.

Rod Speed January 28th 19 07:12 PM

wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 12:42:20 -0500, wrote:

I bought a house with a nice outdoor, flat stone tiled walk way.
Unfortunately the tiler/installer was "quite sloppy" in a few areas.
There many of the tiles now have a thin, but annoyingly Noticeble
coating "film" of concrete grout on the top.

I have tried coarse steel wool, with limited (slow) improvement. Is
there a better/ recommended way, to remove that concrete film? I
would really like all tiles to be fully visible, no film.

PS I am NOW aware that I Inadvertently, first posted this question to
another board I follow -electronic repair. Surely my oops

Very dilute muriatic acid will do the job
(Sparks tile cleaner)
Test it on a piece of the tile first tho.
If this is porcelain tile is shouldn't hurt it but it will eat quarry
tile.

Worked fine with my glazed quarry tiles. And doesn't eat the back of them.

Peeler[_3_] January 28th 19 08:57 PM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 06:09:21 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,

Yeah, you use hydrochloric acid also called muriatic acid.
That's whats used to clean mortar off the face of new brickwork.
https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Mortar-Off-Bricks

SOOO many posts (trolls) by you in ahr again, and not yet ONE feedback! LOL
Looks like you will soon be as lonely on Usenet as you are obviously in real
life, you abnormal obnoxious senile ****! LOL

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."