Posted to alt.home.repair

Default connecting fios to my PC

If one has FIOS or some other fiber-optic phone/internet service, what
connects the FIOS box on the wall outside with the FIOS router (or
whatever) next to the computer and the inside phone line?

Is it Cat-5,6? Fiber-optic cable? 4-conductor phone line like has
been used for 80 years (and before that maybe 3-conductor), usually
round and white? If I use Cat-6 will it work better?
--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/19 4:51 AM, micky wrote:
If one has FIOS or some other fiber-optic phone/internet service, what
connects the FIOS box on the wall outside with the FIOS router (or
whatever) next to the computer and the inside phone line?

Is it Cat-5,6? Fiber-optic cable? 4-conductor phone line like has
been used for 80 years (and before that maybe 3-conductor), usually
round and white? If I use Cat-6 will it work better?

I'd install cat6 for internet and cat3 or better for phone. But as a practical matter and for maximum future proofing, do the whole thing in cat6.

When the installer comes, show him your DNC credentials and you might get a free install.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 04:51:37 -0500, micky
wrote:

If one has FIOS or some other fiber-optic phone/internet service, what
connects the FIOS box on the wall outside with the FIOS router (or
whatever) next to the computer and the inside phone line?
Is it Cat-5,6? Fiber-optic cable? 4-conductor phone line like has
been used for 80 years (and before that maybe 3-conductor), usually
round and white? If I use Cat-6 will it work better?

My fiber line runs underground to my house - then the conduit rises
above grade and into my house to a fiber-box ONT in my basement
utility room. The ONT looks similar to the one in this thread :

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.as...topicid=190686

The fiber connection into this device is done by the service tech.
I have one phone line out ; one Cat 6 to my internet router on the
main floor ; and one Cat 6 to my TV box.
The service provider included a battery back-up, at no cost, so the
telephone only will continue to function after a power failure -
for emergency calls or to phone the power company.
I like the small local provider very much ; the speed and bundle
pricing is quite good.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Your phone will work as long as there is power to the concentrator up
the street and all the others until it gets to the central office, as
long as they have power.
For all practical purposes there is no POTS anymore, powered by a big
battery in the central office. Even old style copper wired phones are
still slaves to line powered equipment along the way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That may be true for some newer POTS, IDK. But it's not true for most
of the POTS out there, ie the installed base. When they went to what
amounts to concentrators
to enable the use of T1 lines back to the central office, that eqpt
was also backed up with batteries or UPS, etc. If you have service
over the old switched telephone system, then it's generally immune
from an AC power outage. That was and is it's one big advantage and
a major reason why people still keep it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default phone service resiliency, was: connecting fios to my PC

In trader_4 writes:

[snip]
Your phone will work as long as there is power to the concentrator up
the street and all the others until it gets to the central office, as
long as they have power.
For all practical purposes there is no POTS anymore, powered by a big
battery in the central office. Even old style copper wired phones are
still slaves to line powered equipment along the way.

That may be true for some newer POTS, IDK. But it's not true for most
of the POTS out there, ie the installed base. When they went to what
amounts to concentrators
to enable the use of T1 lines back to the central office, that eqpt
was also backed up with batteries or UPS, etc. If you have service
over the old switched telephone system, then it's generally immune
from an AC power outage. That was and is it's one big advantage and
a major reason why people still keep it.

Yes, those batteries at the local "concentrator" (term used
a bit loosely and expansively) will keep your pseudo-POTS line
working during a power failure. For an hour or two or maybe five.

But that's it.

In the Good Old Daize, the Central Offices _all_ [a] worked
off floating batteries with generator backup. If the utility
power went out, the generators kickedin and typically had
a multi day, or longer, fuel supply.

[a] yeah, there's probably that exception somewhere.

I recall, back in the days of One Bell System, It worked [tm],
checking their daily telephone "newswire", voiced by Helen
Banks and Marion Marshall. Nice little puffery piece.

Anyway... there was one of those multi state heavy duty
ice storms which knocled out power for a _large_ area.

I remember her saying (number for illustration) that
of the hundred and twelve CO's in the blackout zone,
one hundred and eleven were operating ok on emergency
backup power...

(And the other would be fixed in a couple of hours).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/19 12:42 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In the Good Old Daize, the Central Offices_all_ [a] worked
off floating batteries with generator backup. If the utility
power went out, the generators kickedin and typically had
a multi day, or longer, fuel supply.

Back in the "good old days" when I had AT&T pots, My line often had static or the sound of frying bacon or sometimes a hum that made conversation difficult at best.

T would repair it but the fix never lasted more than 6 months or so. T's dialup internet service was a joke.

About 2004 or so, Comcast rolled out HSI, I switched to Comcast and VoIP and have enjoyed nice clear reliable phone service ever since. Comcast internet, an Obihai box and Google Voice are an awesome combination.

And FWIW, I have a automatic backup genset so my power is never out more than about 20 seconds or so while the generator spools up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 12:42:43 PM UTC-5, danny burstein wrote:
In trader_4 writes:

[snip]
[...]

I agree, it depends on the size of the batteries. But the telcos were
not shy about having large batteries either, the installed base has been
deployed for 40 years when reliability was a primary concern,
so I'd suspect it's more
at the longer end of your time range or beyond. If it wasn't there
would be a lot of people complaining for decades about losing phone
service during power outages. I've lived in quite a few different
places and never recall losing phone service on the switched phone
system during any power outages.

I agree that it's not long duration, like having a generator at the
central office. But it's also not like you lose your POTS phone during
the typical power outage that lasts a few hours either. Fretwell has
a valid point, that even copper for many people probably won't last
a long time if they are not direct into a CO. And unless you have experience
with power outages of varying lengths, you really don't know how long
it will last. I got rid of my copper, VOIP and cell works for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2019 1:35 PM, Randy Stevensen wrote:
On 1/16/19 12:42 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In the Good Old Daize, the Central Offices_all_Â* [a] worked
off floating batteries with generator backup.Â* If the utility
power went out, the generators kickedin and typically had
a multi day, or longer, fuel supply.

Back in the "good old days" when I had AT&T pots, My line often had
static or the sound of frying bacon or sometimes a hum that made
conversation difficult at best.

T would repair it but the fix never lasted more than 6 months or so.
T's dialup internet service was a joke.

About 2004 or so, Comcast rolled out HSI, I switched to Comcast and VoIP
and have enjoyed nice clear reliable phone service ever since.Â* Comcast
internet, an Obihai box and Google Voice are an awesome combination.

And FWIW, I have a automatic backup genset so my power is never out more
than about 20 seconds or so while the generator spools up.

I have Comcast triple play which includes computer, VoIP and TV.
I also have a FIOS connected phone line that I use for business which is
treated like a land line and I assume if I wanted to connect to a
computer and use internet that a tech would come out with a modem and
router.

A consulting client pays for the business phone but I will ditch it when
I quit consulting. It is billed like a land line, requiring extra long
distance service and even extra to get things like call block and caller id.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/19 12:35 PM, Randy Stevensen wrote:

[snip]

Back in the "good old days" when I had AT&T pots, My line often had
static or the sound of frying bacon or sometimes a hum that made
conversation difficult at best.

T would repair it but the fix never lasted more than 6 months or so.
T's dialup internet service was a joke.

I had a lot of that trouble. That was probably the main reason I
switched to cable phone service, which cost about half as much and no
extra charge for call waiting ID.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Horrible Bug Encountered. No idea what has happened."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The roll out of DSL changed that. They don't use a T-1, it is fiber.
The UPS seems to work about 28 hours, then they need a generator
(based on my Irma experience).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 14:31:18 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 1/16/19 12:35 PM, Randy Stevensen wrote:

[snip]

Back in the "good old days" when I had AT&T pots, My line often had
static or the sound of frying bacon or sometimes a hum that made
conversation difficult at best.

T would repair it but the fix never lasted more than 6 months or so.
T's dialup internet service was a joke.

I had a lot of that trouble. That was probably the main reason I
switched to cable phone service, which cost about half as much and no
extra charge for call waiting ID.

Dial up was OK for what we were doing at the time, mostly text mode
stuff and an occasional low resolution picture. The arrival of MP3s in
the late 90s drove the broadband thing for me.
Cable internet was OK here until Comcast bought out my provider and
the service went down hill until the point that I cut the drop and
left it laying in the road, going for slower but far more reliable DSL
from the Telco. Comcast still sucks here. My FIL didn't even have TV
service for about half of December. They were out there a dozen times
but couldn't keep it running more than a half a day.
Irma was the first time I lost POTS/DSL for more than a few minutes.
The batteries in the concentrator died after about 28 hours and it
took them several days to bring a generator out there.
My broadband was up during the whole storm tho but without power I was
running dial up until I got my generator going. I was still getting
V.34 speed up and about 48k down, plenty for sending pictures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Seems like they are confident about their upstream power back-up :
Every Fibre installation includes a UPS (battery backup). The UPS
automatically engages when the power goes out. This smart system will
turn off Television and Internet service to allow for corded Telephone
service to stay active for up to eight hours.
The UPS uses a 120v plug, meaning you can connect it to your
generator. This will reactivate your Fibre services as well as charge
the battery in the UPS.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2019 2:26 PM, Frank wrote:

I have Comcast triple play which includes computer, VoIP and TV.

I now have Spectrum with the similar package. Waiting for the repair
guy right now, in fact. Moved here 27 days ago and this is the 4th (and
last) service call.

The Caller ID on the TV shows 6 calls today that did not go through. If
not fixed this time, my next call will be to Frontier.

Overall, Spectrum sucks. I can only record two things at one time and
have to watch one. It can not be played in another room once recorded.
The internet speeds are good, everything else sucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Somebody actually uses DSL? IDK anyone that has it. Cable is the
predominant digital service. Even Verizon has FIOS instead of DSL.
Actually I did have it here briefly, ~ 1 mbit for a year or two
until they got the cable system going. But I would think the UPS for
that would be about the same as it was for voice that used any of
the concentrators instead of a direct connection to the CO. In fact
my half-assed DSL was a direct connection to the CO, which was several
miles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My area's fiber connection is less than 2 years old and hasn't been
tested by a long power outage yet .. but our minimum power outages
are in the 3 - 4 hour range so I suspect that the upstream fiber
back-up is much more robust than the provided home UPS
up to 8 hours although I'm not keen to find out !
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

wrote:

[...]

hard wire a satellite signal , nothing faster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I get 10mb DSL over copper here and that seems to be good enough,
certainly better than "advertised" 50mb from Comcast that is down all
the time. The box that converts copper to fiber is about a half mile
away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It is and I do know.

But it's not true for most of the POTS
out there, ie the installed base.

Correct, that had copper back to the central office with
no concentrators alone the way and nothing to power.

When they went to what amounts to concentrators to
enable the use of T1 lines back to the central office, that eqpt
was also backed up with batteries or UPS, etc. If you have
service over the old switched telephone system, then it's
generally immune from an AC power outage.

Correct.

That was and is it's one big advantage

Yes.

and a major reason why people still keep it.

We dont give them that choice. When the area
has fibre to the home added, or VDSL2, the copper
connection back to the central office is disconnected
and the copper will eventually get ripped out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 10:25:23 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

We don¢t give them that choice.

Who's "we", Ozzie asshole?

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2019 5:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/16/2019 2:26 PM, Frank wrote:

I have Comcast triple play which includes computer, VoIP and TV.

I now have Spectrum with the similar package.Â* Waiting for the repair
guy right now, in fact.Â* Moved here 27 days ago and this is the 4th (and
last) service call.

The Caller ID on the TV shows 6 calls today that did not go through.Â* If
not fixed this time, my next call will be to Frontier.

Overall, Spectrum sucks.Â* I can only record two things at one time and
have to watch one.Â* It can not be played in another room once recorded.
The internet speeds are good, everything else sucks.

I have a great Comcast system for 2 years for about $200/month which
includes all the movie channels like HBO, Showtime, and Starz and
Netflix, all extended basic channels and top tier internet. Download
speeds capable of a gig per minute although best I measured was 500. I
have their X1 system with main unit and satellite box on another set
where you can DVR up to maybe 6 shows at a time watching another. I
have sets in 3 other rooms with HD tuner. X1 system has voice command
where you can just mention a channel name and it will tune to it. I
hope I can renegotiate and retain it in 2 years.

Since we have both Comcast and FIOS access in our neighborhood guy
across the street gets lowest cost 2 year deal from either and switches
back and forth between the two when he cannot maintain his deal. I
could save money but wife would not tolerate having to relearn the
different systems with a switch.

When I was a kid, all we had was a radio and a party line telephone.
Hard to believe all we have today.

I was talking to an Indian friend about this and he said when he was a
kid they had no electricity or running water. He also said things were
peaceful and calm in his village even without these things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In Frank "frank writes:

Since we have both Comcast and FIOS access in our neighborhood guy
across the street gets lowest cost 2 year deal from either and switches
back and forth between the two when he cannot maintain his deal. I
could save money but wife would not tolerate having to relearn the
different systems with a switch.

Might be worth calling Comcast and telling them, oh, ever so
politely, that you love their service but you just got a call
from FIOS offering the same options at half the price.

They just might, might, give you that "intro" deal.

I used to do this with the cableco by telling them about
the competing DSL from the telco. This worked back
when the speeds were the same, then when cable was up
to five and DSL at 3 megs, but the next time around,
when cable was at 30, they laughed at me...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2019 7:49 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In Frank "frank writes:

Since we have both Comcast and FIOS access in our neighborhood guy
across the street gets lowest cost 2 year deal from either and switches
back and forth between the two when he cannot maintain his deal. I
could save money but wife would not tolerate having to relearn the
different systems with a switch.

Might be worth calling Comcast and telling them, oh, ever so
politely, that you love their service but you just got a call
from FIOS offering the same options at half the price.

They just might, might, give you that "intro" deal.

I used to do this with the cableco by telling them about
the competing DSL from the telco. This worked back
when the speeds were the same, then when cable was up
to five and DSL at 3 megs, but the next time around,
when cable was at 30, they laughed at me...

We essentially do that but only way to succeed completely is to cancel
them and come back as my neighbor does. Too much aggravation for us senior.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 00:49:41 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Frank "frank writes:

Since we have both Comcast and FIOS access in our neighborhood guy
across the street gets lowest cost 2 year deal from either and switches
back and forth between the two when he cannot maintain his deal. I
could save money but wife would not tolerate having to relearn the
different systems with a switch.

Might be worth calling Comcast and telling them, oh, ever so
politely, that you love their service but you just got a call
from FIOS offering the same options at half the price.

They just might, might, give you that "intro" deal.

I used to do this with the cableco by telling them about
the competing DSL from the telco. This worked back
when the speeds were the same, then when cable was up
to five and DSL at 3 megs, but the next time around,
when cable was at 30, they laughed at me...

You just point out that 30 is ****ing ZERO when it is down and cable
is down a lot here.
My DSL after Irma was back when they dropped a generator at the
concentrator. Comcast's hard line was still laying in the grass a week
later. No TV, no internet and no phone. the triple threat deal.
I already said, my FIL was "Amish" for most of december because
Comcast could not fix his cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/19 7:25 PM, Frank wrote:
I have a great Comcast system for 2 years for about $200/month which includes all the movie channels like HBO, Showtime, and Starz and Netflix, all extended basic channels and top tier internet.Â* Download speeds capable of a gig per minute although best I
measured was 500.Â* I have their X1 system with main unit and satellite box on another set where you can DVR up to maybe 6 shows at a time watching another.Â* I have sets in 3 other rooms with HD tuner.Â* X1 system has voice command where you can just mention
a channel name and it will tune to it.Â* I hope I can renegotiate and retain it in 2 years.

Since we have both Comcast and FIOS access in our neighborhood guy across the street gets lowest cost 2 year deal from either and switches back and forth between the two when he cannot maintain his deal.Â* I could save money but wife would not tolerate
having to relearn the different systems with a switch.

Nice deal! That setup where I'm at would run north of $300 from Comcast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2019 6:36 AM, devnull wrote:
On 1/16/19 7:25 PM, Frank wrote:
I have a great Comcast system for 2 years for about $200/month which
includes all the movie channels like HBO, Showtime, and Starz and
Netflix, all extended basic channels and top tier internet.Â* Download
speeds capable of a gig per minute although best I measured was 500.
I have their X1 system with main unit and satellite box on another set
where you can DVR up to maybe 6 shows at a time watching another.Â* I
have sets in 3 other rooms with HD tuner.Â* X1 system has voice command
where you can just mention a channel name and it will tune to it.Â* I
hope I can renegotiate and retain it in 2 years.

Since we have both Comcast and FIOS access in our neighborhood guy
across the street gets lowest cost 2 year deal from either and
switches back and forth between the two when he cannot maintain his
deal.Â* I could save money but wife would not tolerate having to
relearn the different systems with a switch.

Nice deal!Â* That setup where I'm at would run north of $300 from Comcast.

It was negotiated by our eldest son. First thing he did was tell them
we were going to quit and went from there. I think another son pays
$240 for same deal and I'm sure some negotiation was required.

The most annoying thing is having to fight big increases when initial
deal runs out. I equate it to buying a car with a fixed monthly payment
for the first year and not knowing what payments will be thereafter.

When FIOS came to my house Verizon made a tremendous effort to get me to
take full service beyond phone. There were the phone calls, the letters
and people knocking at the door. They gave me a terrific 3 year offer
and I told them I would accept it if I got it for life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/19 5:04 PM, % wrote:

[snip]

hard wire a satellite signal , nothing faster

Latency is often more important than speed.

In 2000 I had the first satellite service available here, Starband.
Terrible latency. It started bad, got worse, and became largely usable
during the 12.5 months of the "agreement". POTS was much better.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Persecution is not an original feature in any religion; but it is
always the strongly marked feature of all religions established by law."
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 12:48:10 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 1/16/19 5:04 PM, % wrote:

[snip]

hard wire a satellite signal , nothing faster

Latency is often more important than speed.

In 2000 I had the first satellite service available here, Starband.
Terrible latency. It started bad, got worse, and became largely usable
during the 12.5 months of the "agreement". POTS was much better.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

The dingbat is also wrong about "nothing faster".

https://www.wirefly.com/compare-inte...e-vs-satellite

Satellite internet is significantly slower than cable service. It also has a greater latency interval on average. Download speeds are generally from one to 15 Mbps, with upload speeds of one or two Mbps. Latency can range from 1000 to 2000 milliseconds. Satellite internet has sufficient speed for typical usage like email and web surfing, but high-demand usage like gaming or large video uploads can be extremely difficult.

My cable company offers basic service at 25Mbps and offer higher speeds
up to 400Mbps and it doesn't have big latency or depend on the weather.