Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

Default WHY DOESN'T MY SNOWBLOWER BLOW SNOW

..

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/19 3:32 PM, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

sounds like a shear bolt sheared or a belt slipping under load
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 1:32:11 PM UTC-7, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

You need an intelligent operator...that's the problem. Also dry snow, not wet crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 3:32:11 PM UTC-5, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

Is there sufficient snow available and being fed in? If there is only
a couple inches and the machine is moving slowly, snow won't get thrown
very far because there isn't enough volume to propel it. With mine
if I try to do just a couple inches at low forward speed, the snow
just dribbles out the chute or goes a few feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
On 1/12/19 3:32 PM, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

sounds like a shear bolt sheared or a belt slipping under load

replaced all the belts and checked the pins 100 times

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 6:40 a.m., Roy wrote:
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 1:32:11 PM UTC-7, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

You need an intelligent operator...that's the problem. Also dry snow, not wet crap.

thank you very much for taking time to provide me with such an in depth
answer
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 3:32:11 PM UTC-5, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

Is there sufficient snow available and being fed in? If there is only
a couple inches and the machine is moving slowly, snow won't get thrown
very far because there isn't enough volume to propel it. With mine
if I try to do just a couple inches at low forward speed, the snow
just dribbles out the chute or goes a few feet.

it's at least 12 inches of snow and when i give it gas , it stalls in
the deep stuff
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 3:32:11 PM UTC-5, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

Is there sufficient snow available and being fed in?Â* If there is only
a couple inches and the machine is moving slowly, snow won't get thrown
very far because there isn't enough volume to propel it.Â* With mine
if I try to do just a couple inches at low forward speed, the snow
just dribbles out the chute or goes a few feet.

it's at least 12 inches of snow and when i give it gas , it stalls in
the deep stuff

My penis is 9.5".Â* Does that count?

no , only people with open governments that get paid count
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 2:32:11 PM UTC-6, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

Is the impeller spinning at full speed ? Sometimes what feels tight to your hand is slipping with a 100 Lbs. of snow pushed against it .
Is the engine running at full speed?
What brand is it ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 3:32:11 PM UTC-5, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

Is there sufficient snow available and being fed in? If there is only
a couple inches and the machine is moving slowly, snow won't get thrown
very far because there isn't enough volume to propel it. With mine
if I try to do just a couple inches at low forward speed, the snow
just dribbles out the chute or goes a few feet.

it's at least 12 inches of snow and when i give it gas , it stalls in
the deep stuff

But at full speed, if you go slow, it stays at full speed, but only
blows it a few feet? I presume it's not real heavy, wet snow either?

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 3:32:11 PM UTC-5, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

Is there sufficient snow available and being fed in? If there is only
a couple inches and the machine is moving slowly, snow won't get thrown
very far because there isn't enough volume to propel it. With mine
if I try to do just a couple inches at low forward speed, the snow
just dribbles out the chute or goes a few feet.

it's at least 12 inches of snow and when i give it gas , it stalls in
the deep stuff

But at full speed, if you go slow, it stays at full speed, but only
blows it a few feet? I presume it's not real heavy, wet snow either?

no , it's dry fluffy snow and yes what you said is what it does ,
and if i gear up to 3 or 4 when i get into the snow , it stalls ,
i have to be ready for the stall and stop and just let it idle ,
and it catches up with itself again
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Normally that means its not getting enough fuel.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 3:32:11 PM UTC-5, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

Is there sufficient snow available and being fed in?Â* If there is only
a couple inches and the machine is moving slowly, snow won't get
thrown
very far because there isn't enough volume to propel it.Â* With mine
if I try to do just a couple inches at low forward speed, the snow
just dribbles out the chute or goes a few feet.

it's at least 12 inches of snow and when i give it gas , it stalls in
the deep stuff

But at full speed, if you go slow, it stays at full speed, but only
blows it a few feet?Â* I presume it's not real heavy, wet snow either?

no , it's dry fluffy snow and yes what you said is what it does ,
and if i gear up to 3 or 4 when i get into the snow , it stalls ,
i have to be ready for the stall and stop and just let it idle ,
and it catches up with itself again

Normally that means its not getting enough fuel.

yea , i think i'm in for a lesson in carburetors
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
On 1/12/19 3:32 PM, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

sounds like a shear bolt sheared or a belt slipping under load

replaced all the belts and checked the pins 100 times

is the chute rusty? keep it clean and smooth and well waxed. Olso
make sure the engine is getting up to proper speed. It takes
"velocity" to get distance, and too much resistance slows it down
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
[...]

What size blower, and what engine?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Buy some "sea foam" and put it in the gas - then run it for a while
.. If jets are restricted this usually does a good job of clearing them
ouit. Also use ethanol free gas to help prevent problems. Here in
Canada that usually means premium. I use ONLY shell premium in my
small engines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
[...]

You can buy a carb rebuild kit for most common carbs on Ebay for
a few bucks. It includes new float valve, needle valves, gasket,
welch plugs, etc. If you need a gasket between the carb and intake
that is usually separate. Taking it apart, cleaning it with carb
cleaner isn't hard. Having an air compressor helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
[...]

In the US premium has ethanol too. IDK where I'd even find ethanol
free, except at HD and similar where it's sold at high prices in
small packages for small engine use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2019 3:05 PM, trader_4 wrote:

yea , i think i'm in for a lesson in carburetors

Buy some "sea foam" and put it in the gas - then run it for a while
. If jets are restricted this usually does a good job of clearing them
ouit. Also use ethanol free gas to help prevent problems. Here in
Canada that usually means premium. I use ONLY shell premium in my
small engines.

In the US premium has ethanol too. IDK where I'd even find ethanol
free, except at HD and similar where it's sold at high prices in
small packages for small engine use.

This may help
https://www.pure-gas.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
On 1/12/19 3:32 PM, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

sounds like a shear bolt sheared or a belt slipping under load

replaced all the belts and checked the pins 100 times

is the chute rusty? keep it clean and smooth and well waxed. Olso
make sure the engine is getting up to proper speed. It takes
"velocity" to get distance, and too much resistance slows it down

the chute is plastic pvc it runs well it just doesn't throw snow like it
used to

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
[...]

it's a 22 inch with a briggs and stratton i forget the horse power ,
it's a two stage machine with 6 speeds
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 6:50 a.m., trader_4 wrote:
[...]

i will keep this in mind , thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
On 1/12/19 3:32 PM, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

sounds like a shear bolt sheared or a belt slipping under load

replaced all the belts and checked the pins 100 times

is the chute rusty? keep it clean and smooth and well waxed. Olso
make sure the engine is getting up to proper speed. It takes
"velocity" to get distance, and too much resistance slows it down

the chute is plastic pvc it runs well it just doesn't throw snow like it
used to

Are you sure you remember what full speed really sounds like? If it runs
full speed but won't throw snow, then it's not the engine. Also, if
something else is wrong, if it won't throw the snow because of that,
I suppose if you try to continue to jamb snow into it, then that could
bog the engine down too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
On 1/12/19 3:32 PM, % wrote:
.

it used to toss snow 20 or 30 feet ,
now it's maybe 5 feet , the auger turns ,
the impaler goes but still it doesn't blow snow

sounds like a shear bolt sheared or a belt slipping under load

replaced all the belts and checked the pins 100 times
is the chute rusty? keep it clean and smooth and well waxed. Olso
make sure the engine is getting up to proper speed. It takes
"velocity" to get distance, and too much resistance slows it down

the chute is plastic pvc it runs well it just doesn't throw snow like it
used to

Are you sure you remember what full speed really sounds like? If it runs
full speed but won't throw snow, then it's not the engine. Also, if
something else is wrong, if it won't throw the snow because of that,
I suppose if you try to continue to jamb snow into it, then that could
bog the engine down too.

i guess you're not getting what i'm trying to describe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You've given conflicting descriptions. You said:

"the chute is plastic pvc it runs well it just doesn't throw snow like it
used to "

Then you said you're going to work on the carb. If the engine runs well,
then it's not the carb.

You said:

"it's at least 12 inches of snow and when i give it gas , it stalls in
the deep stuff"

12" isn't that much. What does it do in just 6"? If it develops full
power, doesn't bog down, but still only blows the snow a few feet, then
that suggests it's not the engine. If the thing has something else wrong
so that it can't properly blow snow, then the engine bogging down and
stalling in the deeper stuff could be secondary to the problem of it
not blowing the snow. If it can't move it, I would think it could just
bog down. Also, IDK what "giving it gas" means. A snowblower is supposed
to be run on max throttle, you set it to that and don't move it around.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

"it's at least 12 inches of snow and when i give it gas , it stalls in
the deep stuff"

12" isn't that much. What does it do in just 6"? If it develops full
power, doesn't bog down, but still only blows the snow a few feet, then
that suggests it's not the engine. If the thing has something else wrong
so that it can't properly blow snow, then the engine bogging down and
stalling in the deeper stuff could be secondary to the problem of it
not blowing the snow. If it can't move it, I would think it could just
bog down. Also, IDK what "giving it gas" means. A snowblower is supposed
to be run on max throttle, you set it to that and don't move it around.

i don't measure snow depth when i use it

if it's not the engine then what

the throttle is a hand squeesable lever on the handle it has no setting

do you know what a snowblower is
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

"it's at least 12 inches of snow and when i give it gas , it stalls in
the deep stuff"

12" isn't that much. What does it do in just 6"? If it develops full
power, doesn't bog down, but still only blows the snow a few feet, then
that suggests it's not the engine. If the thing has something else wrong
so that it can't properly blow snow, then the engine bogging down and
stalling in the deeper stuff could be secondary to the problem of it
not blowing the snow. If it can't move it, I would think it could just
bog down. Also, IDK what "giving it gas" means. A snowblower is supposed
to be run on max throttle, you set it to that and don't move it around.

i don't measure snow depth when i use it

if it's not the engine then what

the throttle is a hand squeesable lever on the handle it has no setting

do you know what a snowblower is

I've owned 5 or 6 - only one was a single stage - and I've likely
worked on over 100 - and I've never seen a "squeezable handle"
throttle. They have all been governed engines and the only "adjusting"
of the throttle is to limit how far the snow flies - if you adjust it
at all. Wide open throttle is "normal"

On a single stage "snow thrower" or "power shovel" - usually with 2
stroke engines, a hand throttle is more common.

A 4 stroke governed engine runs at a fixed speed of aprox 3600 RPM
and when the engine is loaded the governor opens the throttle plate to
maintain the speed. If the speed drops you are over-feeding the snow
so you release the drive clutch and/or select a lower gear.

My current unit is a hydrostatic Yamaha - and I'll never willingly go
back to a multi-speed friction drive unit again. The jury is still out
on the track-drive. A differential driven wheel drive is easier to
handle and what little experience I've had with the "power steer"
units has been positive. The track drive DOES have superior traction
without the hassle of chains.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

i'm attaching a web site that will ,
show you a photo of what my snowblower looks like ,
see those little orange levers one is the throttle ,
one is for the auger and just let me add ,
i've already thanked everyone for all their help here .
i posted a thank you yesterday then i moved on to other things ,
but in revisiting the topic let me say ,
you have been no help what so ever

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/u...267031_614.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-14 12:02 p.m., Clare Snyder wrote:

Â* My current unit is a hydrostatic Yamaha - and I'll never willingly go
back to a multi-speed friction drive unit again. The jury is still out
on the track-drive. A differential driven wheel drive is easier to
handle and what little experience I've had with the "power steer"
units has been positive.Â* The track drive DOES have superior traction
without the hassle of chains.

i'm attaching a web site that will ,
show you a photo of what my snowblower looks like ,
see those little orange levers one is the throttle ,
one is for the auger and just let me add ,
i've already thanked everyone for all their help here .
i posted a thank you yesterday then i moved on to other things ,
but in revisiting the topic let me say ,
you have been no help what so ever

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/u...267031_614.jpg

Maybe you could go buy a John Deere 48" blower and mount it on the front of that blue ****box you drive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 1/14/2019 2:13 PM, % wrote:
On 2019-01-14 12:02 p.m., Clare Snyder wrote:

[...]

none of the stuff in the photo belongs to me it's just a sample photo ,
so you're reply makes you look pretty stupid now

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

+1

And he says it has an auger and impeller, which makes it two stage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

I see two red levers at the handles. One is to engage the snowblowing
mechanism, ie the auger and impeller and the other is to engage the
wheel drive to move forward or backward. At least that's how every
one that I've ever encountered
that looks like that works. The *throttle* is typically by the carb
and you set it to max when you're using it. You don't vary it at the
handlebars. The throttle is even there in your pic, the two small
red knobs by the carb, one is throttle, one is choke. It looks very
similar to mine.

i've already thanked everyone for all their help here .
i posted a thank you yesterday then i moved on to other things ,
but in revisiting the topic let me say ,
you have been no help what so ever

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/u...267031_614.jpg

Take it to a repair shop pro then and explain to them how you work
the throttle at the handles.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

i already said it was a two stage when you asked the first time
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

And that two stage that you posted the picture of DOES NOT HAVE A
SQUEEZABLE THROTTLE ON THE HANDLES. Capiche? The throttle is at the
carb and like Clare said, you set it to max when using it to blow snow.
Good grief, you're confused.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

if you want to think that , go ahead , think it ,
but if you ever have an answer for my original question ,
i'd love to read it

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

why is this such an issue for you ,
i've already moved on and so has everyone else ,
so here's what i'm going to do ,
you can call the parts and controls anything you like ,
and you may as well because that's what i'm going to do
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

I'm beginning to think you're just a troll. How can anyone answer
your question, when you don't even know how the snowblower works?
You claim the throttle is on the handles and it's squeezable. It's not.
So, for all we know, you have the throttle, which is at the carb,
set to idle or slow and that's why it will only blow snow a few feet.
RTFM. Better still, pay someone to clear your snow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

i already thanks those with ideas that helped me ,
this was over as far as i was concerned ,
then you showed up hoping you had found ,
someone you could insult and **** off and ,
when that didn't work you got really ****ed off ,
if that makes me a troll well it's just another ,
name for a part you got wrong
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

The throttle is on the engine - well out of reach when operating the
blower. The two controls on the handle are the wheel drive clutch and
the auger clutch. The black "pistol grip" handle low on the handle is
the shift lever.
The green crank handle is to rotate the chute.
The rubber "bulb" on the back of the engine is the primer.
The chute on thhat blower is steel - not plastic.
It looks like it has been recently painted, and if not smooth will
affect the distance it throws snow.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-13 4:11 a.m., Frosty wrote:
.

You said:

[...]

the photo is a sample it's not my snowblower just looks like mine ,
i know nothing about the one in the photo ,
it was the first one i saw in a google search