Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I connect a DVD and a VCR to an HDTV?

https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.
The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

What kind of cables do I need? What jack should each connector be plugged into on each device?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 20:39:38 -0800 (PST), condo owner
wrote:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.
The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

What kind of cables do I need? What jack should each connector be plugged into on each device?

Get the 5 wire set for the Component video. (3 video, 2 sound) That is
as close as you get to HD. Using the 3 wire setup, Composite video (1
video 2 sound) will be SD at best, more like NTSC
I have a bunch of them and I would send you a set if you like but they
sell them everywhere. You might even find them in the trash these days
as most people are moving to HDMI
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 20:39:38 -0800 (PST), condo
owner wrote:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.

The whole top row of the TV should get the R, W, G, B, R of the DVD.

The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

For the VCR, The second row of the TV should get the red and white out,
and I don' think there is an adapter for the video, so just listen to
the sound. I've found that Law & Order works well with just the sound.
All of the jacks suggested so far are RCA.

Like GF says, there are 5-wires joined together, or 3-wire and 2-wire.
For the DVD

You don't have a coaxial connector on the DVD or TV? If you do, get an
RF modulator, like this
https://www.amazon.com/AmerTac-VR100...99813821&psc=1
plug the VCR into that and plug the output of that into the TV. Not
only for the right jacks but because the VCR is analog and the TV is
digital.

Maybe you can find an RF modulator with different otuput jacks that will
fit your tv better, if you have no coax connector on the TV. You'll
tune the tv to channel 3 or 4 to watch it.

What kind of cables do I need? What jack should each connector be plugged into on each device?

--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 04:40:47 -0500, micky
wrote:

You don't have a coaxial connector on the DVD or TV? If you do, get an
RF modulator, like this
https://www.amazon.com/AmerTac-VR100...99813821&psc=1
plug the VCR into that and plug the output of that into the TV. Not
only for the right jacks but because the VCR is analog and the TV is
digital.

Maybe you can find an RF modulator with different otuput jacks that will
fit your tv better, if you have no coax connector on the TV. You'll
tune the tv to channel 3 or 4 to watch it.

What you want is a composite to component RF modulator, but googling
doesn't show any.

Or a composite to HDMI converter, which I thought there would be even
fewer of, but it's the opposite:
https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Compos.../dp/B008S7EYW2
This is probably a better idea than the one at the top.

You'll need a source of USB power. If the tv hasn't got it, and I don't
think it will, get a charger and probably a good one. I don't know if
there is a difference between the cheap ones and the ones that come with
expensive stuff, like the phone, but I'd use the one for the phone (I
always charge my pone from the computer.)
--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You don't have a coaxial connector on the DVD or TV? If you do, get an
RF modulator, like this

Totally ignore the parts about RF modulator. I got that backwards. I
need to go to sleep.

https://www.amazon.com/AmerTac-VR100...99813821&psc=1
plug the VCR into that and plug the output of that into the TV. Not
only for the right jacks but because the VCR is analog and the TV is
digital.

Maybe you can find an RF modulator with different otuput jacks that will
fit your tv better, if you have no coax connector on the TV. You'll
tune the tv to channel 3 or 4 to watch it.

Start here.

What you want is a composite to component RF modulator, but googling
doesn't show any.

Or a composite to HDMI converter, which I thought there would be even
fewer of, but it's the opposite:
https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Compos.../dp/B008S7EYW2

There are probably others.

You'll need a source of USB power. If the tv hasn't got it, and I don't
think it will, get a charger and probably a good one. I don't know if
there is a difference between the cheap ones and the ones that come with
expensive stuff, like the phone, but I'd use the one for the phone (I
always charge my pone from the computer.)

--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.
The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

What kind of cables do I need? What jack should each connector be plugged into on each device?

Get the 5 wire set for the Component video. (3 video, 2 sound) That is
as close as you get to HD. Using the 3 wire setup, Composite video (1
video 2 sound) will be SD at best, more like NTSC
I have a bunch of them and I would send you a set if you like but they
sell them everywhere. You might even find them in the trash these days
as most people are moving to HDMI

Thrift Stores can be a good source for these.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.
The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

What kind of cables do I need? What jack should each connector be plugged into on each device?

Get the 5 wire set for the Component video. (3 video, 2 sound) That is
as close as you get to HD.

It will be as good as the highest resolution as the DVD is capable of too.
I assume the DVD doesn't have an HDMI? It's not in the pic, but it might
have one off pic where we can't see it.

Using the 3 wire setup, Composite video (1
video 2 sound) will be SD at best, more like NTSC

Which is fine too, since it's from the VCR and capable of supporting
the max resolution that the VCR can put out.

I have a bunch of them and I would send you a set if you like but they
sell them everywhere. You might even find them in the trash these days
as most people are moving to HDMI

Ebay, assuming he can wait. Locally if you buy them new, they probably
will cost $25, while you can probably find them on ebay for $7 or just
a couple bucks if you can wait a few weeks for delivery from China.

Posted to alt.home.repair

owner wrote:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.

The whole top row of the TV should get the R, W, G, B, R of the DVD.

The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

For the VCR, The second row of the TV should get the red and white out,
and I don' think there is an adapter for the video, so just listen to
the sound. I've found that Law & Order works well with just the sound.

He doesn't need an adapter. The Y connector of the component video is
also used for composite from the VCR and it's marked. He needs a five
wire cable for the DVD, a 3 wire or another 5 wire using just 3, for
the VCR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

owner wrote:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.

The whole top row of the TV should get the R, W, G, B, R of the DVD.

The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

For the VCR, The second row of the TV should get the red and white out,
and I don' think there is an adapter for the video, so just listen to
the sound. I've found that Law & Order works well with just the sound.

He doesn't need an adapter. The Y connector of the component video is
also used for composite from the VCR and it's marked. He needs a five
wire cable for the DVD, a 3 wire or another 5 wire using just 3, for
the VCR.

Yup the top set of video in has a dual use on the green (Y) port and
will take the yellow cable from the VCR (3 wire cable set)
Connect the DVD to the second 5 wire set.
I would think about hooking an old PC to the 15 pin connector for
streaming, MP3 music or anything else you can do on a PC.
If you have a 2.4gz wireless mouse you can run it from your easy
chair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Any old VCR will act fine as a modulator. Just
be sure to get one that has hi fi stereo sound,
or an old combo with Component out for the
DVD side

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/19 11:39 PM, condo owner wrote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.
The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

What kind of cables do I need? What jack should each connector be plugged into on each device?

My take (but I'm not that smart):

From your posted pics:
TV has only inputs (no outputs)
You have shown us the DVD outputs, but not the inputs. We
need to see the DVD INPUTS, as well.
The VCR has very basic inputs/outputs.

Also, you haven't told us where the broadcast/cable input is
coming from?
From an antenna?
From a cable (or other) "tv box"?
What kind of outputs are available at your "signal source"?

Also:
The old VCR -- is it intended ONLY for playback?
Or would you still want to record to it? (in this day and
age, I can't see why)

DVD -- again, playback only, or will it be used for recording?

The tv doesn't seem to have a way to directly connect the
old VCR.

I wonder if the following could work?

1. Connect VCR 3-plug output to DVD 3-plug INPUT (if there
is one)
2. Connect DVD 5-plug output (component video out) to tv
5-plug INPUT.
3. Connect your signal source to the DVD (and perhaps run a
second source input directly to tv).

Now, you can do this:
- Signal source input (broadcast/cable) directly to tv
- Play from DVD into tv (component input)
- Record from signal source to DVD
- Play from VCR "through DVD" into tv ??? (not sure if the
input from VCR can be "passed through" the DVD and "out" of
the component output).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 1:13:23 PM UTC-5, J.Albert wrote:
On 1/11/19 11:39 PM, condo owner wrote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.
The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

What kind of cables do I need? What jack should each connector be plugged into on each device?

My take (but I'm not that smart):

From your posted pics:
TV has only inputs (no outputs)
You have shown us the DVD outputs, but not the inputs.

We
need to see the DVD INPUTS, as well.

What DVD inputs? The DVD sends video and audio, it's not a DVD recorder.

The VCR has very basic inputs/outputs.

Also, you haven't told us where the broadcast/cable input is
coming from?
From an antenna?
From a cable (or other) "tv box"?
What kind of outputs are available at your "signal source"?

Also:
The old VCR -- is it intended ONLY for playback?
Or would you still want to record to it? (in this day and
age, I can't see why)

DVD -- again, playback only, or will it be used for recording?

The tv doesn't seem to have a way to directly connect the
old VCR.

Yes it does, composite video on the Y connector, it's dual use.

I wonder if the following could work?

1. Connect VCR 3-plug output to DVD 3-plug INPUT (if there
is one)
2. Connect DVD 5-plug output (component video out) to tv
5-plug INPUT.
3. Connect your signal source to the DVD (and perhaps run a
second source input directly to tv).

Now, you can do this:
- Signal source input (broadcast/cable) directly to tv
- Play from DVD into tv (component input)
- Record from signal source to DVD
- Play from VCR "through DVD" into tv ??? (not sure if the
input from VCR can be "passed through" the DVD and "out" of
the component output).

Posted to alt.home.repair

https://imgur.com/a/RximDNo

The solution
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/19 12:27 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

Yes it does, composite video on the Y connector, it's dual use.

That (combination component / composite input) seems to be really common
around here.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Little prigs and three-quarter madmen may have the conceit that the
laws of nature are constantly broken for their sakes." Nietzsche]