Old January 12th 19, 07:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I connect a DVD and a VCR to an HDTV?

On 1/11/19 11:39 PM, condo owner wrote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.
The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

What kind of cables do I need? What jack should each connector be plugged into on each device?

My take (but I'm not that smart):

From your posted pics:
TV has only inputs (no outputs)
You have shown us the DVD outputs, but not the inputs. We
need to see the DVD INPUTS, as well.
The VCR has very basic inputs/outputs.

Also, you haven't told us where the broadcast/cable input is
coming from?
From an antenna?
From a cable (or other) "tv box"?
What kind of outputs are available at your "signal source"?

Also:
The old VCR -- is it intended ONLY for playback?
Or would you still want to record to it? (in this day and
age, I can't see why)

DVD -- again, playback only, or will it be used for recording?

The tv doesn't seem to have a way to directly connect the
old VCR.

I wonder if the following could work?

1. Connect VCR 3-plug output to DVD 3-plug INPUT (if there
is one)
2. Connect DVD 5-plug output (component video out) to tv
5-plug INPUT.
3. Connect your signal source to the DVD (and perhaps run a
second source input directly to tv).

Now, you can do this:
- Signal source input (broadcast/cable) directly to tv
- Play from DVD into tv (component input)
- Record from signal source to DVD
- Play from VCR "through DVD" into tv ??? (not sure if the
input from VCR can be "passed through" the DVD and "out" of
the component output).

Old January 12th 19, 07:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 1:13:23 PM UTC-5, J.Albert wrote:
On 1/11/19 11:39 PM, condo owner wrote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/pSCK0iT

The top photo is the back of the TV.
The middle photo is the back of the DVD.
The bottom photo is the back of the VCR.

What kind of cables do I need? What jack should each connector be plugged into on each device?

My take (but I'm not that smart):

From your posted pics:
TV has only inputs (no outputs)
You have shown us the DVD outputs, but not the inputs.

We
need to see the DVD INPUTS, as well.

What DVD inputs? The DVD sends video and audio, it's not a DVD recorder.

The VCR has very basic inputs/outputs.

Also, you haven't told us where the broadcast/cable input is
coming from?
From an antenna?
From a cable (or other) "tv box"?
What kind of outputs are available at your "signal source"?

Also:
The old VCR -- is it intended ONLY for playback?
Or would you still want to record to it? (in this day and
age, I can't see why)

DVD -- again, playback only, or will it be used for recording?

The tv doesn't seem to have a way to directly connect the
old VCR.

Yes it does, composite video on the Y connector, it's dual use.

Old January 13th 19, 01:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

https://imgur.com/a/RximDNo

The solution
Old January 13th 19, 10:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/19 12:27 PM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

Yes it does, composite video on the Y connector, it's dual use.

That (combination component / composite input) seems to be really common
around here.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Little prigs and three-quarter madmen may have the conceit that the
laws of nature are constantly broken for their sakes." Nietzsche]