Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drain maintenance for grease

I have a kitchen drain that I recently opened with a snake due to grease
accumulation. I was able to do this from a cleanout plug close to the
kitchen sink. I am careful not to pour grease down the drain, but I
guess it happens naturally. Since I do not have a plugged up drain
right now, I am wondering what I might do to reduce grease buildup in
the future. I have read of vinegar and baking soda as an approach, but
has anyone had success with something else?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 7:24:25 AM UTC-5, Ken wrote:
I have a kitchen drain that I recently opened with a snake due to grease
accumulation. I was able to do this from a cleanout plug close to the
kitchen sink. I am careful not to pour grease down the drain, but I
guess it happens naturally. Since I do not have a plugged up drain
right now, I am wondering what I might do to reduce grease buildup in
the future. I have read of vinegar and baking soda as an approach, but
has anyone had success with something else?

I've never had any success with any drain clearing products, but I've
used them when there already was a problem, ie it was draining slow.
Even Draino which is some powerful stuff, never worked for me. I've
heard of the vinegar and baking soda idea, but I don't believe it.
Vinegar won't penetrate grease. I think it's BS, based on the fact
that they react and fizz, but I don't see it clearing a clogged drain.

One thing I do is if I'm washing anything that has obvious grease on
it, eg a pan, I make sure to put extra dishwashing liquid on it and
distribute it through all the grease to break it up. I think that
likely helps it on it's way through the drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2019 7:24 AM, Ken wrote:
I have a kitchen drain that I recently opened with a snake due to grease
accumulation.Â* I was able to do this from a cleanout plug close to the
kitchen sink.Â* I am careful not to pour grease down the drain, but I
guess it happens naturally.Â* Since I do not have a plugged up drain
right now, I am wondering what I might do to reduce grease buildup in
the future.Â* I have read of vinegar and baking soda as an approach, but
has anyone had success with something else?

Hot water would melt it. If you are pouring down the drain it would
solidify. If washed out with hot soapy water it would be emulsified.
Caustic drain cleaner would attack it and vinegar or baking soda would
be useless. I never put any grease in the drain. Nothing goes down the
drain that I can put in the trash. If you need to dispose of it put it
in a jar or bottle that you are putting in the trash.

I'm very particular because we have a septic and pumper once pointed out
to me a waxy layer that had accumulated. He told me to never put grease
down the drain and even use liquid laundry detergent which gave less
build up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 9:18:16 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 1/7/2019 7:24 AM, Ken wrote:
I have a kitchen drain that I recently opened with a snake due to grease
accumulation.Â* I was able to do this from a cleanout plug close to the
kitchen sink.Â* I am careful not to pour grease down the drain, but I
guess it happens naturally.Â* Since I do not have a plugged up drain
right now, I am wondering what I might do to reduce grease buildup in
the future.Â* I have read of vinegar and baking soda as an approach, but
has anyone had success with something else?

Hot water would melt it. If you are pouring down the drain it would
solidify. If washed out with hot soapy water it would be emulsified.
Caustic drain cleaner would attack it and vinegar or baking soda would
be useless. I never put any grease in the drain.

If you're washing typical pots, pans, dishes, etc you're putting grease
in there. Most people don't actually pour grease in, but they still
can wind up with clogged drains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/07/2019 05:24 AM, Ken wrote:
I have a kitchen drain that I recently opened with a snake due to grease
accumulation. I was able to do this from a cleanout plug close to the
kitchen sink. I am careful not to pour grease down the drain, but I
guess it happens naturally. Since I do not have a plugged up drain
right now, I am wondering what I might do to reduce grease buildup in
the future. I have read of vinegar and baking soda as an approach, but
has anyone had success with something else?

Lye. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saponification

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 06:24:16 -0600, Ken wrote:

I have a kitchen drain that I recently opened with a snake due to grease
accumulation. I was able to do this from a cleanout plug close to the
kitchen sink. I am careful not to pour grease down the drain, but I
guess it happens naturally. Since I do not have a plugged up drain
right now, I am wondering what I might do to reduce grease buildup in
the future. I have read of vinegar and baking soda as an approach, but
has anyone had success with something else?

Ken ; just how often are you un-clogging it ?
I clean-out my kitchen drain every 10 years or so - why would I
waste time & money on useless chemicals. It's not a pleasant job
but it takes about 15 minutes.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 7, 2019 at 4:04:57 PM UTC-6, Ken wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 06:24:16 -0600, Ken wrote:

I have a kitchen drain that I recently opened with a snake due to grease
accumulation. I was able to do this from a cleanout plug close to the
kitchen sink. I am careful not to pour grease down the drain, but I
guess it happens naturally. Since I do not have a plugged up drain
right now, I am wondering what I might do to reduce grease buildup in
the future. I have read of vinegar and baking soda as an approach, but
has anyone had success with something else?

Ken ; just how often are you un-clogging it ?
I clean-out my kitchen drain every 10 years or so - why would I
waste time & money on useless chemicals. It's not a pleasant job
but it takes about 15 minutes.
John T.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

I have had problems in the past and tried to solve them with chemicals.
Finally after decades I realized I needed to take a more serious action,
hence the snake. I freed the stoppage but am trying to prevent further
blockage. I guess I could do the snake again, but it is an unpleasant
job. I have a grease jar where I put all possible grease, but some is
unavoidable.

Another way to minimize grease going down drain is :

1. Pot very hot water and liquid soap in containers with grease and swish around and dump in toilet. I do that with bowls I eat out of and cooking pots.

2. Strain grease like from cooking ground beef etc thru a strainer into your garbage can.

3. One a month, pour a large pot of boiling water into kitchen drain
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett wrote:
On 1/7/19 5:03 PM, Ken wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 06:24:16 -0600, Ken wrote:

I have a kitchen drain that I recently opened with a snake due to
grease
accumulation.Â* I was able to do this from a cleanout plug close to the
kitchen sink.Â* I am careful not to pour grease down the drain, but I
guess it happens naturally.Â* Since I do not have a plugged up drain
right now, I am wondering what I might do to reduce grease buildup in
the future.Â* I have read of vinegar and baking soda as an approach, but
has anyone had success with something else?

Â*Â* KenÂ* ;Â* just how often are you un-clogging it ?
I clean-out my kitchen drain every 10 years or soÂ* -Â* why would I
Â* wasteÂ* time & money on useless chemicals.Â* It's not a pleasant job
but it takes about 15 minutes.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

I have had problems in the past and tried to solve them with
chemicals. Finally after decades I realized I needed to take a more
serious action, hence the snake.Â* I freed the stoppage but am trying
to prevent further blockage.Â* I guess I could do the snake again, but
it is an unpleasant job.Â* I have a grease jar where I put all possible
grease, but some is unavoidable.

Can you use a snake if you have a disposal installed?

No, I used an access cleanout port below it to achieve that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Why is that any better than dumping it down the kitchen
sink ? Once you get to the floor level, its the same sized
pipe and there is a lot more **** in the toilet pipe.

I do that with bowls I eat out of and cooking pots.

2. Strain grease like from cooking ground beef
etc thru a strainer into your garbage can.

I do dump that sort of superficial muck onto the long
grass outside. Basically the grease that ends up in the
big glass convection ovens. Dont do much in those
anymore now, just roast leg of lamb and stuff like that.
https://www.binglee.com.au/sunbeam-n...AhEUEAL w_wcB

3. One a month, pour a large pot of boiling water into kitchen drain

That likely just moves it a bit further down the drain. It won't
stay hot for long with my big 6" earthenware drains.

Drain Tile Maintenance sue Home Repair 9 March 28th 06 09:36 AM
French drain maintenance William Brown Home Repair 5 March 26th 05 06:15 PM
Lithium grase + silicone grease vs. axle grease RickyC UK diy 8 February 17th 05 07:59 PM
any reason I couldn't tap into a French drain to use it as a basement floor drain? PH Home Repair 3 July 7th 04 12:30 PM
Home maintenance vs. condo maintenance Jeff Bello Home Repair 7 May 26th 04 02:40 PM