Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 18:10:11 -0000, Steve, another mentally challenged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

It's funny how you and only you have this problem, then, isn't it?

Could it be you are on to something, troll-feeding senile fool?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Freezers - still using **** insulation?

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 18:29:11 -0000, Steve wrote:

wotsit Commander Kinsey sed...

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 18:10:11 -0000, Steve wrote:

wotsit Commander Kinsey sed...

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 17:19:13 -0000, Steve wrote:

wotsit William Gothberg sed...
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so why is mine always running?

Try using some common sense, Peter. Either there is something
wrong with it, or it's user error.

Not "it", but almost every modern freezer, belonging to me or otherwise.

If the outside walls of the freezer don't feel cold than it's
unlikely to be crappy insulation.

They do feel cold. (Attempting to delete your double negative) So you're saying it IS crappy insulation, as I said.

Are you trying to freeze large amounts of unfrozen food?

No.

You could have your thermostat set too cold, in which case the
compressor will run continually because it is trying to reach a
temp it can't attain.

It's set so all the freezer is -18C or lower.

You might have your superfreeze on, so it will run continually.

It doesn't have that function, and I haven't seen that on anything made in the last two decades. Not sure why they ever had it, you always want the inside to be at -18C or less, so the stat should turn on if it's above -18C. You just don't need to tell it you've put new food in.

Does it need defrosting? That can cause the freezer to run
continually as the frost build up acts as insulation preventing it
from reaching the set temp.

All freezers have been frost free for the last two decades, so no.

It could be short of gas or the compressor may be not pumping
efficiently. The thermostat may be knackered.

I'm talking about NEW freezers.

Rule out what could be the problem, don't assume.

BTW, you're a ****wit.

Evidently not, as nothing you've said was of any use.

It's funny how you and only you have this problem, then, isn't it?
Seeing as how a great national debate about crappy freezer
insulation seems to be curiously absent.

Because nobody else has noticed the ****ty designs?

No, it's because you are doing something wrong. My freezer stops
when it reaches the desired temp, just like most people's
freezers. But you would rather argue with strangers on the
interweb than try to solve the problem.
Well, it's your electricity bill, you obnoxious, nym-shifting
****.

At what point did I say mine doesn't switch off at the desired temperature? The answer is I didn't. Please learn basic English before engaging in a discussion with adults.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 17:05:48 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 01/01/2019 16:41, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:28:09 -0000, Arthur Conan Doyle
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just
don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd
got better insulation now.

I suspect the compressors are smaller in newer units. That means lower
enegy
consumption, but they need to run longer for a given level of cooling.

Indeed,

Ah another ****wit

You're the ****wit that can't tell the difference between compressor efficiency and insulation efficiency.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 17:05:21 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 01/01/2019 16:28, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got better insulation now.

I suspect the compressors are smaller in newer units. That means lower enegy
consumption, but they need to run longer for a given level of cooling.

My mouth dropped open when you said that. It betrays remarkable ignorance.

You will be telling me next that a 1W kettle uses less electricity to
boil....

Well women fall for that kinda **** and buy cars with 1 litre engines, then drive them around in third gear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

news

wrote:

[...]

Or the designs arent ****ty, just like all the other ones
you howl about like microwave ovens and cars that
don't have all 4 wheels steering arent either.

This is the 21st century ffs.

And in the case of freezers, we now have frost free
freezers that no longer need manual defrosting and
which use a lot less electricity than they used to and
for some reason I don't understand don't end up
with lots of big ice crystals around the frozen food
like the previous manual defrost ones did either.

We still have internal combustion engines in cars from a whole century or
more ago.

You are free to buy an electric one now
if you are that stupid. And hybrids too.

We still haven't cured the common cold.

Because it evolves too quickly for vaccination to be effective.

Most cancers still can't be cured.

But the survival rates are now vastly higher.

Loads of illnesses don't even have names yet.

Bull****.

What the **** are scientists doing?!

Doing the best they can and doing stuff like eliminating
smallpox from the wild, getting close to that with polio
but are being hindered in that by stupid muslims that
believe its all a western plot. Hardly anyone in the first
world dies of infectious disease anymore and in fact the
main killer of younger people is actually car accidents now.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 00:45:53 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 7:35:36 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 00:05:09 -0000, Roger Wilco wrote:

On 12/31/18 4:07 PM, William Gothberg wrote:
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so why is mine always running? It doesn't seem to have a lower duty cycle than the old ones of 30 years ago. Sure, the power consumption (according to the label) is less, but shouldn't
they have better insulation nowadays? Or was all that banned by the greenies for that ozone nonsense?

The really high R-value foams are much more expensive...which adds cost to the unit. And some of the high-performance foam out-gasses which upsets the environmental whackos.

Truth be told, most people ignore the Energy Guide label and just buy the shiny stainless steel model. Energy Star? What's that?

Maybe if the energy guide label had actual numbers people would take notice. A to G is not useful. But 50kWh per year is, people can quickly establish how much it will save them per year, and if it's worth buying the more expensive model. When you buy a car, it doesn't have a rating from A to G, it has miles per gallon, so you can work out how much petrol it will cost you.

HEre in the US the label shows the estimate of what it costs per year to
run, assuming electric is some average cost of electric, and they give
that cost per kwh they use too, whatever it is. From that you can
extrapolate.

Ours is most likely EU bull****. They never get anything right, which is why we tried to leave, but our current ****wit government is ignoring our request.

However I bet not many are buying based on that anyway.

Depends if you want to save money or have something of the correct colour or size for your needs. But I would think most people care about either "the environment" [1], or their budget.

[1] I put that in quotes because it's usually due to morons thinking that giving off CO2 kills the planet, despite it being raw materials for plants to grow.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 07:57:57 -0000, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 23:12:33 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 21:34:50 -0000, danny burstein wrote:

In ARW writes:

On 31/12/2018 21:07, William Gothberg wrote:
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so why
is mine always running? It doesn't seem to have a lower duty cycle than
the old ones of 30 years ago. Sure, the power consumption (according to
the label) is less, but shouldn't they have better insulation nowadays?
Or was all that banned by the greenies for that ozone nonsense?

FFS belt up for one night of the year.

The original poster really doesn't have a clue, amirite?

I eventually found a site that dared to shame the bad ones - including what you'd think would be good, Bosch and Whirlpool. Apparently running costs on new ones sold today are between 5p/litre and 19p/litre. Seriously, why haven't they stopped making inefficient crap? That's almost a factor of four!!

That's what you get for buying Lucas refrigerators BG

Here in North America they all pretty muchmeet the same standards -
and they are pretty darn efficient compared to even 20 years ago.

About half the space wasted for insulation with twice the insulation
rating. The high performance molded foam insulations are FAR superior
to the old packed fiberglass and the metal cases don't rust through
any more from the insulation holding moisture.

Do you have a website that lists the energy usage of various makes over there? The ones available in the UK vary from 5p/litre/year to 19p, a BIG difference. That's electricity cost per year per litre of food space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 10:54:50 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 01/01/2019 00:35, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Maybe if the energy guide label had actual numbers people would take
notice. A to G is not useful. But 50kWh per year is, people can
quickly establish how much it will save them per year, and if it's worth
buying the more expensive model. When you buy a car, it doesn't have a
rating from A to G, it has miles per gallon, so you can work out how
much petrol it will cost you.

Its not just A to G but extra A+ ratings.
When I last compared the "average running costs" of various A, A+, A++
units there was so little difference that it wasn't worth worrying about
and I purchased based on USABLE space inside.

Running costs can depend on how often the door is opened and if the unit
is kept full etc.

The site I found (some kinda Which survey or something) showed units using between 5p and 19p per year per litre of space. That's a colossal difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 06:56:05 +1100, dkol, better known as cantankerous
nym-shifting trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

FLUSH 107 lines of the two abnormal idiots' endless sick ****

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2019 18:30, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 01:04:18 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 01/01/2019 00:35, Commander Kinsey wrote:

When you buy a car, it doesn't have a rating from A to G, it has miles per gallon, so you can work out how much petrol it will cost you.

mpg figures which are real-world-useless.

They may be out of line with reality, but they are comparable to each other.

They're only comparable if each manufacturer prepares each car to cheat
the test in exactly the same way as every other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

[...]

At the top of this post you wrote "so why is mine always running?"

Please learn basic English
before engaging in a discussion with adults.

Yes, you should, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 20:13:28 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 01/01/2019 18:30, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 01:04:18 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 01/01/2019 00:35, Commander Kinsey wrote:

When you buy a car, it doesn't have a rating from A to G, it has miles per gallon, so you can work out how much petrol it will cost you.

mpg figures which are real-world-useless.

They may be out of line with reality, but they are comparable to each other.

They're only comparable if each manufacturer prepares each car to cheat
the test in exactly the same way as every other.

The only cheating I've heard of was VW emissions. And only treehuggers care about emissions. I just want a car that goes fast, uses less fuel, and has lots of space inside it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 20:34:04 -0000, Steve wrote:

[...]

Yes, which means it's on more than I think it should be, considering we must have invented better insulation by now.

Please learn basic English
before engaging in a discussion with adults.

Yes, you should, ****wit.

It's you that misunderstood my post entirely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

[...]

Do you know what *always* means?

Please learn basic English
before engaging in a discussion with adults.

Yes, you should, ****wit.

It's you that misunderstood my post entirely.

No one understands you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 20:57:38 -0000, Steve wrote:

[...]

To a robot or a human? Learn what "exaggeration" means, and discover it's used in everyday conversation. For example, "It always rains in Scotland" does not mean it's raining 24/7/365. It means it's raining far too often.

Please learn basic English
before engaging in a discussion with adults.

Yes, you should, ****wit.

It's you that misunderstood my post entirely.

No one understands you.

I'm sorry if I expected a basic level of intelligence in here, I wasn't aware that usenet attracted the dregs of society, I do apologize.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 10:28:51 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 31/12/2018 21:44, William Gothberg wrote:

It's a perfectly valid question, why are we still using equipment that
needs running so often?

Proportional control rather than bang/bang control?

If the insulation was better than that used 30 years ago, then the time between switching off and back on again would be longer, as less cold would leak out - this can be verified by observing the sides are cold. Also, if you look at the energy ratings on various freezers, you'll find a factor of almost 4 between different models, so clearly some are using really **** insulation.

Freezer situated in the wrong position?

Not just the one freezer. Two of mine and many belonging to other people.

No ventilation behind freezer to remove the heat?

Plenty.

Freezer door not sealing correctly?

They're fine.

Freezer that is not full is inefficient.

Crammed full.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 11:27:16 -0000, Steve wrote:

wotsit alan_m sed...

On 31/12/2018 21:44, William Gothberg wrote:

It's a perfectly valid question, why are we still using equipment that
needs running so often?

Proportional control rather than bang/bang control?

Freezer situated in the wrong position?

No ventilation behind freezer to remove the heat?

Freezer door not sealing correctly?

Freezer that is not full is inefficient.

Refrigerant leak.

Most of the ones I'm looking at are new or nearly new.

Or the dim**** has it on superfreeze.

Haven't seen one with that function since 1990. What's it for? Overcoming a faulty stat?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wotsit Commander Kinsey sed...

I do apologize.

OK. Now **** off and die.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 21:09:01 -0000, Steve wrote:

wotsit Commander Kinsey sed...

I do apologize.

OK. Now **** off and die.

Only trolls delete context.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 20:13:28 +0000, F, another mentally challenged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

They may be out of line with reality, but they are comparable to each other.

They're only comparable if each manufacturer prepares each car to cheat
the test in exactly the same way as every other.

It's a fact, a troll-feeding idiot is as idiotic as the troll he keeps
feeding! BG

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default dummies 1-0-1, was: Freezers - still using **** insulation?

In "Commander Kinsey" writes:

If the insulation was better than that used 30 years ago,
then the time between switching off and back on again
would be longer, as less cold would leak out -

First, there's no such thing as "cold leaking out". It's
the heat leaking in.

Second, have you considered that just maybe the thermostat
on the newer unit is accurate enough that it switches the
compressor on after a 0.5 degree rise in temperature as opposed
to waiting for a 5 degree swing?

Of course you haven't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 22:26:04 -0000, danny burstein wrote:

In "Commander Kinsey" writes:

If the insulation was better than that used 30 years ago,
then the time between switching off and back on again
would be longer, as less cold would leak out -

First, there's no such thing as "cold leaking out". It's
the heat leaking in.

It's just a way of thinking. Most people think of power flowing from + to - of a battery, although we all know it's electrons flowing from - to +. It really doesn't make any difference.

Second, have you considered that just maybe the thermostat
on the newer unit is accurate enough that it switches the
compressor on after a 0.5 degree rise in temperature as opposed
to waiting for a 5 degree swing?

Of course you haven't.

Of course I have, I'm also considering the total time it's running, which is similar to older ones. And since it can cool it from room temperature (when it was off for a holiday or when I bought it) to normal running temperature in the same time as an older model, the output of the compressor must be similar. So why is it running just as often? The only answer can be **** insulation (backed up by the fact that the outside of the walls feel cold).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's a stupid measure of how good the freezer is.

What matters is power use over time in the environment
you have the freezer in. Better insulation and a smaller
compressor because the insulation is better will still
produce that superficial result of the compressor running
for the same amount of time as the original dinosaur.

Please learn basic English
before engaging in a discussion with adults.

Yes, you should, ****wit.

It's you that misunderstood my post entirely.

It was so badly stated that everyone did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 10:28:51 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 31/12/2018 21:44, William Gothberg wrote:

It's a perfectly valid question, why are we still using equipment that
needs running so often?

Proportional control rather than bang/bang control?

If the insulation was better than that used 30 years ago,

It is.

then the time between switching off and back on again would be longer, as
less cold would leak out

Not if its also got a smaller compressor because
it doesn't need such a big compressor as it did
when the much worse insulation was used.

- this can be verified by observing the sides are cold.

If the sides of the freezer are cold in
a warm room, its ****ed by design.

Also, if you look at the energy ratings on various freezers, you'll find a
factor of almost 4 between different models, so clearly some are using
really **** insulation.

They actually used less of the good insulation because
some choose to buy the freezer with more usable space
inside when they have no choice on how big it is outside
because it has to fit into the existing space in their kitchen.

Freezer situated in the wrong position?

Not just the one freezer. Two of mine and many belonging to other people.

No ventilation behind freezer to remove the heat?

Plenty.

Freezer door not sealing correctly?

They're fine.

Freezer that is not full is inefficient.

Crammed full.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 09:49:45 +1100, dkol, better known as cantankerous
nym-shifting trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

FLUSH the two retards' usual retarded bull**** unread again

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rot:

Senile Rot: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rot: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 11:27:16 -0000, Steve
wrote:

wotsit alan_m sed...

On 31/12/2018 21:44, William Gothberg wrote:

It's a perfectly valid question, why are we still using equipment that
needs running so often?

Proportional control rather than bang/bang control?

Freezer situated in the wrong position?

No ventilation behind freezer to remove the heat?

Freezer door not sealing correctly?

Freezer that is not full is inefficient.

Refrigerant leak.

Most of the ones I'm looking at are new or nearly new.

Or the dim**** has it on superfreeze.

Haven't seen one with that function since 1990.

Then you need to get out more, as always.

What's it for? Overcoming a faulty stat?

For when you are putting large amounts
of room temperature food in it and want
to get that frozen as quickly as possible
without the stat cycling a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 10:14:38 +1100, dkol, better known as cantankerous
nym-shifting trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Then you need to get out more, as always.

No need to do so for him: he got you senile trolls on these groups to play
around with! BG

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 10:12:34 +1100, dkol, better known as cantankerous
nym-shifting trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

FLUSH the two prize idiots' endless sick troll**** unread again

--
Another retarded "conversation" between the two resident idiots:

Birdbrain: "But imagine how cool it was to own slaves."

Senile Rot: "Yeah, right. Feed them, clothe them, and fix them when they're
broken.
After all, you paid good money for them. Then you've got to keep an eye
on them all the time."

Birdbrain: "Better than having to give them wages on top of that."

Senile Rot: "Specially when they make more slaves for you
and produce their own food and clothes."

MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2019 21:07, Commander Kinsey wrote:

If the insulation was better than that used 30 years ago, then the time
between switching off and back on again would be longer, as less cold
would leak out - this can be verified by observing the sides are cold.
Also, if you look at the energy ratings on various freezers, you'll find
a factor of almost 4 between different models, so clearly some are using
really **** insulation.

Or there is a 4:1 variation between the capacity between the smallest
and largest model.

A quick look at a couple of dozen under counter freezers from one
supplier who stocks around 8 different brands from £130 to £500+ shows
operating costs in the range £23 to £30 per annum with the majority
being in the £26/£27 region. So comparing freezers of the same nominal
size shows a much smaller variation in operating costs. Some of the
cheapest to buy had the better figure

Please post a links for freezers of the SAME size showing the 4:1
variation that you claim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 00:02:15 +0000, anal_m, the absolutely braindead,
notorious, troll-feeding, senile idiot, driveled again:

Or there is a 4:1 variation between the capacity between the smallest
and largest model.

Or maybe he is just a mentally retarded trolling idiot, while you are a
mentally retarded troll-feeding senile idiot, anal_m!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 00:02:15 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 01/01/2019 21:07, Commander Kinsey wrote:

If the insulation was better than that used 30 years ago, then the time
between switching off and back on again would be longer, as less cold
would leak out - this can be verified by observing the sides are cold..
Also, if you look at the energy ratings on various freezers, you'll find
a factor of almost 4 between different models, so clearly some are using
really **** insulation.

Or there is a 4:1 variation between the capacity between the smallest
and largest model.

Are you claiming the size makes a huge difference in efficiency? Surely there isn't much size difference, and I was only looking at fridge freezers, which aren't that much difference in size.

A quick look at a couple of dozen under counter freezers from one
supplier who stocks around 8 different brands from £130 to £500+ shows
operating costs in the range £23 to £30 per annum with the majority
being in the £26/£27 region. So comparing freezers of the same nominal
size shows a much smaller variation in operating costs. Some of the
cheapest to buy had the better figure

Please post a links for freezers of the SAME size showing the 4:1
variation that you claim

https://www.sust-it.net/energy-savin...freezers-large

The best is the Liebherr CNP4858, 5p/litre/year, with 260 litres of fridge and 101 litres of freezer.
The worst is the Fisher & Paykel E442BRXFD, 19p/litre/year, with 295 litres of fridge and 91 litres of freezer.

So similar sizes with drastically different efficiencies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got better insulation now.

I suspect the compressors are smaller in newer units. That means lower enegy
consumption, but they need to run longer for a given level of cooling.

Indeed, but that doesn't negate the fact we haven't fixed the poor insulation. People seem to be going mad insulating houses, but not freezers.

That's your uninformed opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:42:21 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:19:36 -0000, danny burstein wrote:

In "Commander Kinsey" writes:

How's about starting off the new year with a resolution
to research issues a bit more closely. Like, in this
case, how much power those motors are drawing when
running today versus 30 years ago.

Which has nothing to do with insulation.

Bzzt. They're all interconnected.

And your rants have nothing to do with reality or
thinking.

Find a five year old to explain basic thermodynamics
to you.

A lower power motor does not affect the R value of the insulation. Are you quite mad? Do you really think if you put a more efficient boiler in your house that your house will magically gain better insulation and cool more slowly?

It doesn't affect the R value of the insulation but it may addect
the run time of the compressor which is your only half-baked clue that
your new freezer has no better insulation than your old one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:48:46 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 15:27:17 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 10:14:26 AM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 13:12:21 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

harry wrote:
On Monday, 31 December 2018 21:08:00 UTC, William Gothberg wrote:
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so
why is mine always running? It doesn't seem to have a lower duty
cycle than the old ones of 30 years ago. Sure, the power
consumption (according to the label) is less, but shouldn't they
have better insulation nowadays? Or was all that banned by the
greenies for that ozone nonsense?

It's probably lost refrigerant gas.
ie a leak.

Hucker probably got it free.
And yes, could be a gas leak or it is just shagged.

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got better insulation now.

Even assuming it's true, that current units run the same amount of time
that old ones did, the inference that this implies anything about
insulation is nonsense. New units use half or less the energy that old
ones did. You could have a large, old inefficient compressor running for 5 minutes
and a high efficiency new one running for 10 minutes and the latter could use
substantially less energy. It's not just the run times, it's the actual
power draw while running and the amount of time it runs. My fridge is so
quiet, I don't even know when it's running.

But that doesn't mean the insulation's better, it means the compressor and cooling pipes are better. If you get a more efficient heating system in your house, you don't gain free insulation, you have to buy that seperately. New freezers might use less power than before, but they're still losing the same amount of cold into the room, this could easily be sorted. And if you look at the energy efficiency ratings for new ones, you'll find a range of 5 to 19p/litre/year. That's almost a factor of 4, so we can easily see that a lot of makes (including big names like Bosch, Samsung, Whirlpool) must be doing something drastically bad. Assuming everyone uses decent compressors, it must be the shoddy insulation.

You are ASS U ME ing a lot.There are many different compressors - at
many different price points - with different efficiencies.
The cost of better insulation is trivial. The difference between
different compressors can be significant. Nothing comes free.

There are virtually no freezers built with "loose fill" insulation any
more. Virtually all use some form of a foamed insulation.The better
ones also use radiant reflection technology and pay attention to
eliminating thermal bridging.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 18:16:54 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

[...]

Because nobody else has noticed the ****ty designs? This is the 21st century ffs. We still have internal combustion engines in cars from a whole century or more ago. We still haven't cured the common cold. Most cancers still can't be cured. Loads of illnesses don't even have names yet. What the **** are scientists doing?!

Get off your useless ass and do something about it. Iinstead of
kvetching endlessly about things you are ignorant about go out and
educate yourself so you can make a difference. Otherwize you are just
a pitiful waste of space and oxygen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile YANKIETARD Alert!

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 19:53:48 -0500, Clare Snyder, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, babbled:

It doesn't affect the R value of the insulation but it may addect

Obviously your senile brain has been addected (LOL) by the Scottish ******'s
idiocy already! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 19:59:20 -0500, Clare Snyder, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, babbled:

You are ASS U ME ing a lot.

Not really, the poor sociopathic asshole only is baiting you senile
assholes. Period!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 19:52:09 -0500, Clare Snyder, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, babbled:

Indeed, but that doesn't negate the fact we haven't fixed the poor
insulation. People seem to be going mad insulating houses, but not
freezers.

That's your uninformed opinion.

Nope, senile idiot, it's his latest silly bait with which he keeps catching
you senile idiots, TIME and AGAIN! Don't believe it? Read this thread! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 20:13:54 -0500, Clare Snyder, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, babbled:

Get off your useless ass and do something about it. Iinstead of
kvetching endlessly about things you are ignorant about go out and
educate yourself so you can make a difference. Otherwize you are just
a pitiful waste of space and oxygen.

Strong words from a troll-feeding senile idiot who keeps taking every single
bait the sociopathic ****** sets out for him! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 12/31/18 4:07 PM, William Gothberg wrote:
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so why is mine always running?* It doesn't seem to have a lower duty cycle than the old ones of 30 years ago.* Sure, the power consumption (according to the label) is less, but shouldn't they
have better insulation nowadays?* Or was all that banned by the greenies for that ozone nonsense?

Look for Energy Star Certification, the best chest freezers are Energy Star certified.
On average, an Energy Star chest freezer costs only $53 dollars per year, which is $50 dollars less than most older models.