Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Freezers - still using **** insulation?

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 10:14:26 AM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 13:12:21 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

harry wrote:
On Monday, 31 December 2018 21:08:00 UTC, William Gothberg wrote:
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so
why is mine always running? It doesn't seem to have a lower duty
cycle than the old ones of 30 years ago. Sure, the power
consumption (according to the label) is less, but shouldn't they
have better insulation nowadays? Or was all that banned by the
greenies for that ozone nonsense?

It's probably lost refrigerant gas.
ie a leak.

Hucker probably got it free.
And yes, could be a gas leak or it is just shagged.

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got better insulation now.

Even assuming it's true, that current units run the same amount of time
that old ones did, the inference that this implies anything about
insulation is nonsense. New units use half or less the energy that old
ones did. You could have a large, old inefficient compressor running for 5 minutes
and a high efficiency new one running for 10 minutes and the latter could use
substantially less energy. It's not just the run times, it's the actual
power draw while running and the amount of time it runs. My fridge is so
quiet, I don't even know when it's running.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:
harry wrote:
On Monday, 31 December 2018 21:08:00 UTC, William Gothberg wrote:
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so
why is mine always running? It doesn't seem to have a lower duty
cycle than the old ones of 30 years ago. Sure, the power
consumption (according to the label) is less, but shouldn't they
have better insulation nowadays? Or was all that banned by the
greenies for that ozone nonsense?

It's probably lost refrigerant gas.
ie a leak.

Hucker probably got it free.
And yes, could be a gas leak or it is just shagged.

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just
don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd
got better insulation now.

No what?
Who gives a flying **** anyway?
I can buy a new fridge freezer for less than £200 delivered.
My ancient freezer in the garage has ****ed insulation, but it does not run
all of the time.
Your freezer is just ****ed, little to do with seals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2019 10:14 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Hucker probably got it free.
And yes, could be a gas leak or it is just shagged.

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general.* They just
don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago.* I thought we'd got
better insulation now.

Means nothing. New models may run longer but use much less power during
the run time. Instead of 15 minutes at 20kw they may run 30 minutes at
5kw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:
harry wrote:
[...]

It won't in an unheated garage. But beware when you buy a new one you're limited to Beko due to the ****ed up designs of every other company refusing to run below 15C ambient.

Your freezer is just ****ed, little to do with seals.

The point is when you buy a new one, there's a good chance it'll use up to 4 times more electricity than another model would. I found a list of energy ratings online. They differ by 5p/litre/year to 19p/litre/year. And surprisingly, some of the 19p ones were decent makes like Bosch, Samsung, Whirlpool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:01:45 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/1/2019 10:14 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Hucker probably got it free.
And yes, could be a gas leak or it is just shagged.

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just
don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got
better insulation now.

Means nothing. New models may run longer but use much less power during
the run time. Instead of 15 minutes at 20kw they may run 30 minutes at
5kw.

That's what I thought, but those new models do cool just as fast, so the compressor must be performing as much cooling as the old one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 15:24:06 -0000, danny burstein wrote:

In "Commander Kinsey" writes:

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got better insulation now.

You really don't have a clue, do you?

How's about starting off the new year with a resolution
to research issues a bit more closely. Like, in this
case, how much power those motors are drawing when
running today versus 30 years ago.

Which has nothing to do with insulation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

In "Commander Kinsey" writes:

How's about starting off the new year with a resolution
to research issues a bit more closely. Like, in this
case, how much power those motors are drawing when
running today versus 30 years ago.

Which has nothing to do with insulation.

Bzzt. They're all interconnected.

And your rants have nothing to do with reality or
thinking.

Find a five year old to explain basic thermodynamics
to you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got better insulation now.

I suspect the compressors are smaller in newer units. That means lower enegy
consumption, but they need to run longer for a given level of cooling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile YANKIETARD Alert!

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 07:27:17 -0800 (PST), tardo_4 an especially stupid,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

FLUSH another load of useless idiotic troll fodder

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:28:09 -0000, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got better insulation now.

I suspect the compressors are smaller in newer units. That means lower enegy
consumption, but they need to run longer for a given level of cooling.

Indeed, but that doesn't negate the fact we haven't fixed the poor insulation. People seem to be going mad insulating houses, but not freezers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:19:36 -0000, danny burstein wrote:

In "Commander Kinsey" writes:

How's about starting off the new year with a resolution
to research issues a bit more closely. Like, in this
case, how much power those motors are drawing when
running today versus 30 years ago.

Which has nothing to do with insulation.

Bzzt. They're all interconnected.

And your rants have nothing to do with reality or
thinking.

Find a five year old to explain basic thermodynamics
to you.

A lower power motor does not affect the R value of the insulation. Are you quite mad? Do you really think if you put a more efficient boiler in your house that your house will magically gain better insulation and cool more slowly?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
[...]

But that doesn't mean the insulation's better, it means the compressor and cooling pipes are better. If you get a more efficient heating system in your house, you don't gain free insulation, you have to buy that seperately. New freezers might use less power than before, but they're still losing the same amount of cold into the room, this could easily be sorted. And if you look at the energy efficiency ratings for new ones, you'll find a range of 5 to 19p/litre/year. That's almost a factor of 4, so we can easily see that a lot of makes (including big names like Bosch, Samsung, Whirlpool) must be doing something drastically bad. Assuming everyone uses decent compressors, it must be the shoddy insulation.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
:
: harry wrote:
[...]

Did you forget to write something Shadow? You just quoted the entire text from trader4 and added nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 31/12/2018 21:44, William Gothberg wrote:

It's a perfectly valid question, why are we still using equipment that
needs running so often?

Proportional control rather than bang/bang control?

Freezer situated in the wrong position?

No ventilation behind freezer to remove the heat?

Freezer door not sealing correctly?

Freezer that is not full is inefficient.

On further thought it appears that his original
wasn't talking about a fault but what he doesn't
like about his current freezer compared with
others that he had in the past.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You were not authorized to see it.

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.zux6a2lewdg98l@desktop-

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2019 16:28, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got better insulation now.

I suspect the compressors are smaller in newer units. That means lower enegy
consumption, but they need to run longer for a given level of cooling.

My mouth dropped open when you said that. It betrays remarkable ignorance.

You will be telling me next that a 1W kettle uses less electricity to
boil....

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 01/01/2019 16:41, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:28:09 -0000, Arthur Conan Doyle
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general.Â* They just
don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago.Â* I thought we'd
got better insulation now.

I suspect the compressors are smaller in newer units. That means lower
enegy
consumption, but they need to run longer for a given level of cooling.

Indeed,

Ah another ****wit

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 01/01/2019 01:54, dkol wrote:

Not possible given that the number of kWHs depends
on where its kept. You'll get a completely different result
when its kept in the kitchen of a place well heated in
winter and when its kept in the garage that isnt heated etc.

But ALL manufactures would test them in a way that gives the best figures.

Not possible when the test conditions are standardised.

They may not be real world figures but it forms a basis of comparing one
unit against another.

Not when either the nice warm kitchen or unheated
garage are used, the unheated garage scenario
would indicate that the lack of insulation doesn't
matter much given the marginal extra running cost.

And the nice warm kitchen scenario would indicate
that the best insulated freezer would save you quite
a lot in running cost when in reality with a non
centrally heated house, the difference in running
cost would be significantly less and so not worth
paying substantially more for the better insulated
freezer or not worth sacrificing so much internal space.

With a fridge/freezer there is possibly little scope of fiddling the
figures in the same way are car manufacturers do so by reducing the weight
of the car during testing by removing seats, spare wheel, radio, extras
etc.

Yes, impossible. But it may be possible to fudge
the result by changing the design so there is
less effect when the door is opened with the
freezer with not much in it, but that wouldn't
be relevant to someone who only opens a
freezer in the unheated garage every few
days instead of multiple times a day etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
% % is offline

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general.Â* They just
don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago.Â* I thought we'd
got better insulation now.

I suspect the compressors are smaller in newer units. That means
lower enegy
consumption, but they need to run longer for a given level of cooling.

Indeed,

Ah another ****wit

what did you do with berger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wotsit William Gothberg sed...
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so why is mine always running?

Try using some common sense, Peter. Either there is something
wrong with it, or it's user error.

If the outside walls of the freezer don't feel cold than it's
unlikely to be crappy insulation.

Are you trying to freeze large amounts of unfrozen food?

You could have your thermostat set too cold, in which case the
compressor will run continually because it is trying to reach a
temp it can't attain.

You might have your superfreeze on, so it will run continually.

Does it need defrosting? That can cause the freezer to run
continually as the frost build up acts as insulation preventing it
from reaching the set temp.

It could be short of gas or the compressor may be not pumping
efficiently. The thermostat may be knackered.

Rule out what could be the problem, don't assume.

BTW, you're a ****wit.
HNY.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:55:04 -0000, ..shadow, me & my wrote:

You were not authorized to see it.

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.zux6a2lewdg98l@desktop-

Why do you never type anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 17:19:13 -0000, Steve wrote:

wotsit William Gothberg sed...
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so why is mine always running?

Try using some common sense, Peter. Either there is something
wrong with it, or it's user error.

Not "it", but almost every modern freezer, belonging to me or otherwise.

If the outside walls of the freezer don't feel cold than it's
unlikely to be crappy insulation.

They do feel cold. (Attempting to delete your double negative) So you're saying it IS crappy insulation, as I said.

Are you trying to freeze large amounts of unfrozen food?

No.

You could have your thermostat set too cold, in which case the
compressor will run continually because it is trying to reach a
temp it can't attain.

It's set so all the freezer is -18C or lower.

You might have your superfreeze on, so it will run continually.

It doesn't have that function, and I haven't seen that on anything made in the last two decades. Not sure why they ever had it, you always want the inside to be at -18C or less, so the stat should turn on if it's above -18C. You just don't need to tell it you've put new food in.

Does it need defrosting? That can cause the freezer to run
continually as the frost build up acts as insulation preventing it
from reaching the set temp.

All freezers have been frost free for the last two decades, so no.

It could be short of gas or the compressor may be not pumping
efficiently. The thermostat may be knackered.

I'm talking about NEW freezers.

Rule out what could be the problem, don't assume.

BTW, you're a ****wit.

Evidently not, as nothing you've said was of any use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 10:45:18 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 31/12/2018 23:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 21:34:50 -0000, danny burstein
wrote:

I eventually found a site that dared to shame the bad ones - including
what you'd think would be good, Bosch and Whirlpool. Apparently running
costs on new ones sold today are between 5p/litre and 19p/litre.
Seriously, why haven't they stopped making inefficient crap? That's
almost a factor of four!!

You can buy freezers with a serious amount of insulation but:

i) You may not like the price.

ii) the capacity inside is a lot smaller than the equivalent with less
insulation. Freezers have standard size outside dimensions to fit in
the space of a kitchen cabinet etc.

I was looking (with no intention of buying) at some fridges in a
showroom a couple of days ago and there was one fridge with a a high
energy efficiency rating with a door around 2.5 inches thick, and not
recessed for the door shelves.

So we haven't improved the insulation, just made it thicker.

We've done both. Modern rigid foam insulation is much
better than the loose fiberglass originally used and its
used thicker too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:01:45 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/1/2019 10:14 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Hucker probably got it free.
And yes, could be a gas leak or it is just shagged.

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just
don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got
better insulation now.

Means nothing. New models may run longer but use much less power during
the run time. Instead of 15 minutes at 20kw they may run 30 minutes at
5kw.

That's what I thought, but those new models do cool just as fast,

You havent established that.

so the compressor must be performing as much cooling as the old one.

Not necessarily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote:

No, I'm referring to all fridges and freezers in general. They just
don't seem to run less than they did 30 years ago. I thought we'd got
better insulation now.

I suspect the compressors are smaller in newer units. That means lower
enegy
consumption, but they need to run longer for a given level of cooling.

Indeed, but that doesn't negate the fact we haven't fixed the poor
insulation. People seem to be going mad insulating houses, but not
freezers.

Because thick insulation has a much more dramatic effect on the
amount of useable space in a freezer and far less effect on the
annual running cost than with a house. No subsidies either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wotsit Commander Kinsey sed...

[...]

It's funny how you and only you have this problem, then, isn't it?
Seeing as how a great national debate about crappy freezer
insulation seems to be curiously absent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 18:10:11 -0000, Steve wrote:

[...]

Because nobody else has noticed the ****ty designs? This is the 21st century ffs. We still have internal combustion engines in cars from a whole century or more ago. We still haven't cured the common cold. Most cancers still can't be cured. Loads of illnesses don't even have names yet. What the **** are scientists doing?!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

[...]

No, it's because you are doing something wrong. My freezer stops
when it reaches the desired temp, just like most people's
freezers. But you would rather argue with strangers on the
interweb than try to solve the problem.
Well, it's your electricity bill, you obnoxious, nym-shifting
****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 01:04:18 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 01/01/2019 00:35, Commander Kinsey wrote:

When you buy a car, it doesn't have a rating from A to G, it has miles per gallon, so you can work out how much petrol it will cost you.

mpg figures which are real-world-useless.

They may be out of line with reality, but they are comparable to each other. But actually, I've found the new system of measuring mpg is fairly accurate. I can get about what they state by driving normally, less than that by driving aggressively, and more than that by driving carefully. My VW Golf was rated at 40mpg. I got almost exactly that by driving without thinking about fuel. If I was conscious of saving money, I could get 58mpg. If I drove as fast as the car would go (or the stupid woman in front of me holding me up) I'd get about 28mpg.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 03:54:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

On further thought it appears that his original
wasn't talking about a fault but what he doesn't
like about his current freezer compared with
others that he had in the past.

On first thought, no half-way intelligent person gives a **** about what he
means, senile idiot!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 02:05:20 -0000, Bill Wright wrote:

On 31/12/2018 21:07, William Gothberg wrote:
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so why
is mine always running? It doesn't seem to have a lower duty cycle than
the old ones of 30 years ago. Sure, the power consumption (according to
the label) is less, but shouldn't they have better insulation nowadays?
Or was all that banned by the greenies for that ozone nonsense?

Very simple. Because of global warming caused by the evilness of mankind
the ambient temperature is higher, so the fridge has to work harder.
Scientists at the University of East Anglia have worked out that the
extra power consumption will cause a positive feedback spiral that will
result in the end of life on the planet as we know it by 2020.

:-) What you've written is about as intelligent as the bull**** they keep coming out with. I especially love it when treehuggers moan about pollution from coal fired power stations, so we replace them with wind turbines, then they claim they're too noisy and hurt the birds. We should take all the greenies and forbid them from having any electricity at all, that would cure their "religion".
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 04:42:46 +1100, dkol, better known as cantankerous
nym-shifting trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

We've done both. Modern rigid foam insulation is much
better than the loose fiberglass originally used and its
used thicker too.

NOTHING could ever be as thick as the two of you! BG

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 04:07:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

FLUSH troll****

Now ALSO an expert in fridge construction, senile idiot? LMAO

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 11:01:45 -0500, Ed Pawlowski, the mentally challenged,
troll-feeding senile Yankietard, blathered again:

Means nothing.

That's what a troll's post is usually all about, senile troll-feeding idiot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 10:28:09 -0600, Arthur Conan Doyle, another brain
damaged, troll-feeding, senile Yankietard, driveled:

I suspect the compressors are smaller in newer units. That means lower enegy
consumption, but they need to run longer for a given level of cooling.

I suspect you senile oaf have just been had by a retarded troll again! G
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 17:19:13 -0000, Steve, another mentally challenged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

BTW, you're a ****wit.
HNY.

Right! And so are you, troll-feeing idiot!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 04:51:24 +1100, dkol, better known as cantankerous
nym-shifting trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

FLUSH the two abnormal idiots' endless idiotic drivel

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 05:00:23 +1100, dkol, better known as cantankerous
nym-shifting trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Indeed, but that doesn't negate the fact we haven't fixed the poor
insulation. People seem to be going mad insulating houses, but not
freezers.

Because thick insulation has a much more dramatic effect

Nobody could possibly be as dramatically thick as you two prize idiots! LOL

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID: