Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low power space heater?

Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my
mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have
heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a
refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying
about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit
when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is
50s - 60s.

I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space
heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping
the heater might.

Suggestions? Experiences?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 28 Dec 2018 18:05:55 GMT, KenK
wrote:

Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my
mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have
heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a
refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying
about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit
when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is
50s - 60s.

For some strange reason, temperatures that woudl seem warm outside seem
cold inside. Even wearing the same clothes. 60 is cold inside.

I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space
heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping
the heater might.

If all you have to do is reset the breaker, try it and see. AFAIK all
breakers are 15 amps or more and most space heaters I've seen are 1100
watts, which is less than 15 amps.

But electricity is usually expensive. Will it be cheaper than propane?

Put in a little fan to blow warm air from part of the place to the
kitchen.

Wear a sweater. (That's my mother's recommendation, and indeed, I think
that was the standard until some time after WWII. Look at Father Knows
Best. I think it's still the standard in most of the world. (Although
there is another way to look at it: I've spend $90 to be almost warm,
and if I spend just 4 or 5 dollars more, I can be actually warm. Your
numbers may vary. Void where prohibited by law.)

Suggestions? Experiences?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not expensive he

Daily Prices
Gallons PPG
50 – 99 2.099
100 – 149 1.949
150 – 199 1.899
200 – 249 1.849
250 – 299 1.749
300 – 349 1.699
350 – 399 1.649
400 – 499 1.599
400 – 449 1.619
500 – 549 1.549
550 – 599 1.549
600 – 649 1.539
650 – 699 1.529
700 – 749 1.519
750 – 799 1.509
800 – 999 1.499
1000 – 1500 1.489
1500 – 5000 1.479

:
: I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
: winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space
: heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping
: the heater might.
:
: Suggestions? Experiences?
:
: TIA
:
:
:
: --
: I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.
:
:
:
:
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 1:05:59 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my
mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have
heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a
refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying
about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit
when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is
50s - 60s.

I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space
heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping
the heater might.

Suggestions? Experiences?

TIA

A heat pump, maybe mini-split could work well in that environment.
You would be getting 3x+ what you would from electric resistance heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Dec 2018 18:05:55 GMT, KenK wrote:

Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my
mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have
heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a
refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying
about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit
when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is
50s - 60s.

I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space
heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping
the heater might.

Suggestions? Experiences?

TIA

How about a heat lamp? Radiant heat - about 150 watts. WSillwarm you
and surfaces, not air si is quite effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 14:47:23 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

[...]

Here's a couple of models just examples to read-up-on :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,42194,70821

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 1:05:59 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my
mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have
heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a
refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying
about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit
when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is
50s - 60s.

I guess it's all in what you're used to. We're having an unseasonably warm
50 F day here in southeast Michigan, so the furnace is off and the windows
are open. Tomorrow will be a perfectly average 32 F, so the windows will
be closed and the furnace will be on.

It would take me the rest of my natural life to get used to your climate,
and I'd be miserable and cowering in the air conditioning the whole time.

Can't help you with your space heating problem; electricity is more
expensive than gas here. Even more expensive than propane, I think.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2018 10:05 AM, KenK wrote:
Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my
mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have
heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a
refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying
about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit
when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is
50s - 60s.

I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space
heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping
the heater might.

Suggestions? Experiences?

Most space heaters have a lower wattage setting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/18 12:05 PM, KenK wrote:
Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my
mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have
heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a
refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying
about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit
when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is
50s - 60s.

I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space
heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping
the heater might.

Suggestions? Experiences?

TIA

Is there any practical way to take advantage of the sun? Some
sort of window
or skylight you could add?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Dec 2018 18:05:55 GMT, KenK wrote:

Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my
mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have
heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a
refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying
about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit
when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is
50s - 60s.

I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space
heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping
the heater might.

Suggestions? Experiences?

TIA

Maybe a ceramic desktop heater.

https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-CD09250-Portable-Adjustable-Thermostat/dp/B0735MVY4Y/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1546038530&sr=8-7&keywords=Desk+Heater

"Lasko CD09250 Ceramic Portable Space Heater with Adjustable
Thermostat - Perfect For the Home or Home Office"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/18 12:05 PM, KenK wrote:
Is there such a thing as a low power space heater?

I've heard of ones like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-MyH...%2Bheater&th=1

BTW, I have no idea why color affects the price so much.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The trouble with Communism is the Communists, just as the trouble with
Christianity is the Christians." [H.L. Mencken]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2018 11:05 AM, KenK wrote:
Is there such a thing as a low power space heater?

How low power? Most portable electric space heaters are 1500 W although
you can get personal heaters as low as 200 W. Whether that's going to do
much for you is another question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 12/28/18 12:05 PM, KenK wrote:
Is there such a thing as a low power space heater?

I've heard of ones like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-100-MyH...DTWN2/ref=sr_1
_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546042264&sr=8-3&keywords=low%2Bpower%2Bheater&th=1

BTW, I have no idea why color affects the price so much.

I think this heater matches KenK's request. I also recall a 500 Watt
element that screwed into a standard light bulb socket, but that was 50
years ago.

Commonly available electric space heaters are in the 1000 to 1500 Watt
range. If you used one with a thermostat, you would reduce total
watt-hours consumed.

Back to the original requirement: are you sure that the low-powered
electric heater costs less to operate than a thermostatically-controlled
propane heater? If you use your electric heater for a while, you may
find that the increase in electricity costs is greater than the
reduction in propane costs.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 1:05:59 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my
mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have
heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a
refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying
about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit
when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is
50s - 60s.

I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space
heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping
the heater might.

Suggestions? Experiences?

TIA

If you stay mostly in one spot, there are radiant heaters that direct the heat right at you. Costco sells one for about $50. It heats what it's aimed at, tbe rest of the room, not so much, so it can be efficient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aladdin lamp
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I'm thinking of that plus the fridge, MW, etc.

But electricity is usually expensive. Will it be cheaper than
propane?

Put in a little fan to blow warm air from part of the place to the
kitchen.

Wear a sweater. (That's my mother's recommendation, and indeed, I
think that was the standard until some time after WWII. Look at
Father Knows Best. I think it's still the standard in most of the
world. (Although there is another way to look at it: I've spend $90
to be almost warm, and if I spend just 4 or 5 dollars more, I can be
actually warm. Your numbers may vary. Void where prohibited by law.)

I wear one all winter.

Suggestions? Experiences?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"..shadow, me & my" wrote in
:

Not expensive he

Daily Prices
Gallons PPG
50 – 99 2.099
100 – 149 1.949
150 – 199 1.899
200 – 249 1.849
250 – 299 1.749
300 – 349 1.699
350 – 399 1.649
400 – 499 1.599
400 – 449 1.619
500 – 549 1.549
550 – 599 1.549
600 – 649 1.539
650 – 699 1.529
700 – 749 1.519
750 – 799 1.509
800 – 999 1.499
1000 – 1500 1.489
1500 – 5000 1.479

I looked but can't find local prices with Google. As I recall about $3
gallon here, was ~$1 when I used it to heat many years ago.

"KenK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote in
:

[...]

That's a new one to me. I'll have to research it. Sounds like a winner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder wrote in
:

[...]

Interesting suggestion. Never thought of that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 12:47:04 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
trader_4 wrote in
:

[...]

Having seen the other replies, I think it might be a solution for
heating/cooling the whole place and it may be less expensive to run
than propane. With minis you can have two or three inside units
running off one outside condenser. You can run them independently,
don't have to run them all, etc. But they are in the several thousand
dollar range, not cheap. AZ is a good climate for heat pump, but then
you're probably not burning all that much propane either, so the
economics may not make sense.

For just heating a small kitchen, the other
ideas are better. I'd try just a small electric heater with a fan,
you can get them for $25 at Walmart. I have one here that I used
on my boat. Or the parabolic radiant type,
which heats what it's pointed at. How well that works in a kitchen
IDK. It works great if you're in one spot and it's aimed at you.
Costco has them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2018 07:34 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
I think this heater matches KenK's request. I also recall a 500 Watt
element that screwed into a standard light bulb socket, but that was 50
years ago.

That was my first thought. They were a ceramic cone wrapped with
nichrome wire, sort of like a toaster turned inside out. Primitive, but
it got the job done. The milkhouse heaters added the fan and as time
went on they got more stylish but ti's still the same old same old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2018 07:41 AM, Thomas wrote:
Aladdin lamp

Those are kerosene, silly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 13:14:15 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 12/29/2018 07:41 AM, Thomas wrote:
Aladdin lamp

Those are kerosene, silly.

Last time I saw 5 gal. cans in HD, it was $35 ~ 7.40 a gallon plus
tax. Lamp oil is expensive to.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

wrote:

On 12/29/2018 07:41 AM, Thomas wrote:
Aladdin lamp

Those are kerosene, silly.

Last time I saw 5 gal. cans in HD, it was $35 ~ 7.40 a gallon plus
tax. Lamp oil is expensive to.

what was your original question about heaters
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/29/2018 07:41 AM, Thomas wrote:
Aladdin lamp

Those are kerosene, silly.

Last time I saw 5 gal. cans in HD, it was $35 ~ 7.40 a gallon plus
tax. Lamp oil is expensive to.

It's gotten crazy. Back in the '90s when I was living out in the AZ
desert winters I had an Aladdin lantern. They are great since they have
a mantle and put out as much light as a propane or gasoline lantern
without the noise. I could buy kerosene from a gas station in Ajo where
they pumped it out of a 55 gallon drum. I forget exactly how much it was
but it wasn't expensive.

Even the lanterns themselves have gotten insane:

http://www.aladdin-us.com/page/778455

I'm certain I didn't pay $180 for mine.

Then there was the long arm of the law... The mantles contained thorium
which was determined to be harmful to small children and liberals. For a
few years it was almost impossible to find mantles until they found
something that works almost as good. Almost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Back when I was young kerosene was 10 cent a gallon, even used glass
jugs. Old moonshine jugs clear glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2018 05:46 PM, Oren wrote:
Back when I was young kerosene was 10 cent a gallon, even used glass
jugs. Old moonshine jugs clear glass.

A few years ago I wanted a heater for my shed and my first thought was a
kerosene heater. After seeing the price of kerosene I went with a Mr.
Heater Big Buddy. The other advantage is you can tone the Big Buddy
down. Kerosene heaters are happiest when they're operating balls to the
wall.

I don''t find it unpleasant but propane doesn't have that kerosene aroma.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 18:37:32 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 12/29/2018 05:46 PM, Oren wrote:
Back when I was young kerosene was 10 cent a gallon, even used glass
jugs. Old moonshine jugs clear glass.

A few years ago I wanted a heater for my shed and my first thought was a
kerosene heater. After seeing the price of kerosene I went with a Mr.
Heater Big Buddy. The other advantage is you can tone the Big Buddy
down. Kerosene heaters are happiest when they're operating balls to the
wall.

I don''t find it unpleasant but propane doesn't have that kerosene aroma.

I remember Kero being half or less the price of regular gas. Back
when Gas was $0.469 per gallon and clear kero about $0.23

Back then we bought Kero and "white gas" in bulk from the hardware
store. We didn't carry either one at the gas station.
Stove oil and furnace oil were available from the fuel depots, who
could also supply Kero in barrels. I remember having a 100 gallon
tank of stove oil in the woodshed. It was a bit cheaper than clear
kero but was used in the kero lamps rather than keeping clear kero for
the lamps for emergency use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It seemed really hard to get kerosene in baltimore when I needed some a
couple years ago. Some hardware stores sold one-quart cans, and there
was a place on the far east side, but when I used the gallon I bought
there, I wanted a place closer. Google gave a bunch of hits, none of
which actually had kerosene. Finally found a gas station not too far
that sold it, and a couple years later they remodeled the station
closest to me where I usually buy gas, and they have a full=size pump
for it. Of course now I don't need any more. I don't remember the
price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just use #1 diesel. Stinks a bit more, but won't hurt the burner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

#1 diesel isn't that easy to find anymore either. Truck stops have
switched to winter blend and don't have a separate pump unless you're in
some paradise like North Dakota.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/19 2:08 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Just use #1 diesel. Stinks a bit more, but won't hurt the burner.

The fuel stations in my area stock winter blend. I wonder if
farm supply stores would still carry kerosene.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 11:13:06 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 1/1/19 2:08 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Just use #1 diesel. Stinks a bit more, but won't hurt the burner.

The fuel stations in my area stock winter blend. I wonder if
farm supply st

You know you are going to need the stuff back in september. What's
wrong with planning ahead?????????
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The first time it was recommended to clean the gas tank of a 40 year
old, at the time, motorcycle, so that's why I got it.

I got the cycle running for a little bit, but ended up giving it to a
guy at the local big cycle store. (I had gotten it for free from a
friend.) The week after I gave it away I found a mini-scooter in the
woods near my house. From one extreme to the other. It was damaged in
several places, and police said they had no Missing report on it but
would let me know if they got one. I finally gave up on cleaning its
carburetor 2 years ago -- a new one was cheap =- but haven't installed
the new one yet. No kerosene needed.

I dont' remember what later uses of the kerosene were for, but not
burning if I recall at all correctly.