Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC or Vinyl Material to Make Lifting Bag: Source?

I want to make something like this: http://tinyurl.com/yd9nkaj3
to perform the same function as this: http://tinyurl.com/y6u8apg2

I'm thinking it's the same stuff used to make things like the
children's "Bounce House" - which I've seen firsthand
and which seems pretty close to indestructible.

But I have no clue where to even start looking for the material and glue.

Can anybody shed some light?

..
..
..

One might ask "Why not buy the real thing"...

I think the real thing is grossly over-priced and under-spec'd.

To wit:

- The compressor seems to work from a lead-acid battery, which is
problematic shelf-life-wise to say the least - and lithium
battery compressors are readily available for 1/5 the price.

- There's a battery eliminator available - which looks to me
like just a 45-60 watt power source (no more than thirty bucks)
and they want $200 for it.

- For the little wall wart that charges the battery - which looks
like your basic 12v 2-3 amp computer equipment power supply
that retails for $5-10 max they're asking $50 - which gives me
another reference point as to their idea of pricing.

--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per (PeteCresswell):
But I have no clue where to even start looking for the material and glue.

Can anybody shed some light?

OK, maybe a post made without enough thought....

I am thinking that what I'm looking for is "PVC-Coated Polyester" like this:
http://www.yataitextiles.com/index.p...&a=show&id=335

But that still begs the question of retail sources and glue.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 1:03:19 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I want to make something like this: http://tinyurl.com/yd9nkaj3
to perform the same function as this: http://tinyurl.com/y6u8apg2

I'm thinking it's the same stuff used to make things like the
children's "Bounce House" - which I've seen firsthand
and which seems pretty close to indestructible.

But I have no clue where to even start looking for the material and glue.

Can anybody shed some light?

.
.
.

One might ask "Why not buy the real thing"...

I think the real thing is grossly over-priced and under-spec'd.

To wit:

- The compressor seems to work from a lead-acid battery, which is
problematic shelf-life-wise to say the least - and lithium
battery compressors are readily available for 1/5 the price.

- There's a battery eliminator available - which looks to me
like just a 45-60 watt power source (no more than thirty bucks)
and they want $200 for it.

- For the little wall wart that charges the battery - which looks
like your basic 12v 2-3 amp computer equipment power supply
that retails for $5-10 max they're asking $50 - which gives me
another reference point as to their idea of pricing.

--
Pete Cresswell

How about looking for just the bag part, instead of the whole system?
You can probably inflate it with a cheap, small air compressor like sold
to pump up a tire. Fabricating a bag, including attaching air fittings,
I think is going to be problematic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 13:09:51 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I am thinking that what I'm looking for is "PVC-Coated Polyester" like this:
http://www.yataitextiles.com/index.p...&a=show&id=335

But that still begs the question of retail sources and glue.

Would this help?

http://www.jpwinc.com/pages/materials.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 13:03:10 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

[...]

A friend of mine operates Black Diamond Waterproof Clothing,
manufacturers of Zephron waterproof safety clothing - they use a
neoprene coated fabric that is glued together with vulcanizing cement
and autoclaved.

Zephron.ca

If it is marketed as a safety device there is likely a significant
liability insurance component to the pricing, as well as a
certification/listing cost which is substantial when spread across a
low production volume.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 13:09:51 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per (PeteCresswell):
But I have no clue where to even start looking for the material and glue.

Can anybody shed some light?

OK, maybe a post made without enough thought....

I am thinking that what I'm looking for is "PVC-Coated Polyester" like this:
http://www.yataitextiles.com/index.p...&a=show&id=335

But that still begs the question of retail sources and glue.

How much do you need, Pete? Is yellow good? Possibly some black
available. I can check with my friend if you are interested and get
pricing. Where are you located? He may have a dealer in your area
where he could ship raw material for you to pick up, or we can arrange
shipping. It will be unvulcanized neoprene.

Let me know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 15:06:27 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

But that still begs the question of retail sources and glue.

How much do you need, Pete? Is yellow good? Possibly some black
available. I can check with my friend if you are interested and get
pricing. Where are you located? He may have a dealer in your area
where he could ship raw material for you to pick up, or we can arrange
shipping. It will be unvulcanized neoprene.

Let me know.

The link I gave
http://www.jpwinc.com/pages/materials.html

...mentions "welding vs glue". Has a link for explanation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't know how well they hold air but those one yard bags they
deliver sand in might work
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 13:09:51 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per (PeteCresswell):
But I have no clue where to even start looking for the material and glue.

Can anybody shed some light?

OK, maybe a post made without enough thought....

I am thinking that what I'm looking for is "PVC-Coated Polyester" like this:
http://www.yataitextiles.com/index.p...&a=show&id=335

But that still begs the question of retail sources and glue.

These guys sell the vinyl material and the HH66 cement. That will rip
the fabric before the bond lets go. I built a top for my boat lift out
if it.

https://www.tarpsupply.com/coated-vi...d-fabrics.html