DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   VINYL sliding patio doors (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/625564-vinyl-sliding-patio-doors.html)

[email protected] November 23rd 18 05:12 PM

VINYL sliding patio doors

What are the best lubricants for VINYL sliding patio doors if the adjustments after install don't do enough to make door slide easily? Thanks.

Bod[_3_] November 23rd 18 05:21 PM

VINYL sliding patio doors

On 23/11/2018 17:12, wrote:
What are the best lubricants for VINYL sliding patio doors if the adjustments after install don't do enough to make door slide easily? Thanks.

I'd use silicone grease

--
Bod

Clare Snyder November 23rd 18 05:53 PM

VINYL sliding patio doors

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 17:21:25 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 23/11/2018 17:12, wrote:
What are the best lubricants for VINYL sliding patio doors if the adjustments after install don't do enough to make door slide easily? Thanks.

I'd use silicone grease

That depends what you are actually lubricating and why the door is
stiff. Generally speaking, DOORS run on rollers. If when properly
adjusted the doors do not move freely no amount of ANY lubricant is
likely to solve the problem. The rollers willin all likelyhood require
replacement but the first thing I would do is make double sure the
rollers on the door ARE correctly adjusted.

Did that stuff for a living for a short time
On many vinyl WINDOWS using ANY lubricant was pretty much guaranteed
to cause problems. Vinyl is by it's very nature self lubricating -
just need to keep things clean.

Bod[_3_] November 23rd 18 05:57 PM

VINYL sliding patio doors

On 23/11/2018 17:12, wrote:
What are the best lubricants for VINYL sliding patio doors if the adjustments after install don't do enough to make door slide easily? Thanks.

I'd use silicone grease

That depends what you are actually lubricating and why the door is
stiff. Generally speaking, DOORS run on rollers. If when properly
adjusted the doors do not move freely no amount of ANY lubricant is
likely to solve the problem. The rollers willin all likelyhood require
replacement but the first thing I would do is make double sure the
rollers on the door ARE correctly adjusted.

Did that stuff for a living for a short time
On many vinyl WINDOWS using ANY lubricant was pretty much guaranteed
to cause problems. Vinyl is by it's very nature self lubricating -
just need to keep things clean.

I bow to your knowledge.

--
Bod

Oren[_2_] November 23rd 18 05:59 PM

VINYL sliding patio doors

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 09:12:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

What are the best lubricants for VINYL sliding patio doors if the adjustments after install don't do enough to make door slide easily? Thanks.

First things first. Pet dander can clog up around the rollers, making
the operator panel difficult to slide. I'd remove the operator panel,
ensure the rollers are in fact good, clean the track thoroughly, and
bottom of the door. Then spray Teflon lube spray on a clean cloth or
paper towel that are lint free and wipe the track well.

Install the panel back. Be careful you may slam the door with a
simple slide.

Tempered glass doors are heavier. Have a helper to lift it out and lay
flat on the floor or a table and do no bang the glass. You could
shatter the panel.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] November 23rd 18 06:06 PM

VINYL sliding patio doors

On 11/23/2018 12:12 PM, wrote:
What are the best lubricants for VINYL sliding patio doors if the adjustments after install don't do enough to make door slide easily? Thanks.

What do you mean by "adjustments after install"? When was it installed?

If it was installed a week ago, there is a problem with the installer.
If you are talking about a few years ago, then you need to do a good
cleaning and check the rollers.

[email protected] November 23rd 18 07:49 PM

VINYL sliding patio doors

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 09:12:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

What are the best lubricants for VINYL sliding patio doors if the adjustments after install don't do enough to make door slide easily? Thanks.

The rollers are not rolling and you need to address that. If you don't
you will be here in a while asking us how to replace the track.

Oren[_2_] November 23rd 18 08:26 PM

VINYL sliding patio doors

wrote:

What are the best lubricants for VINYL sliding patio doors if the adjustments after install don't do enough to make door slide easily? Thanks.

The rollers are not rolling and you need to address that. If you don't
you will be here in a while asking us how to replace the track.

A good clue about the rollers is 'looking' at the track. Wear, tear,
bent and/or a sagging track and visual damage.

trader_4 November 23rd 18 09:36 PM

VINYL sliding patio doors

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 2:50:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 09:12:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

What are the best lubricants for VINYL sliding patio doors if the adjustments after install don't do enough to make door slide easily? Thanks.

The rollers are not rolling and you need to address that. If you don't
you will be here in a while asking us how to replace the track.

Something sounds wrong if after installing new patio doors they won't slide
easily. For lubricant, I guess one of the teflon based spray lubes would
be my choice, but I'd do some more checking first. Is that door at a store
where you may be able to try sliding it there? It also depends on how heavy
and big the doors are. I've had some that are lighter and slide easier
than others. Pretty much you get used to what it is, unless it's really
screwed for some reason.

[email protected] November 24th 18 02:19 AM

VINYL sliding patio doors

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 13:36:52 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 2:50:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 09:12:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

What are the best lubricants for VINYL sliding patio doors if the adjustments after install don't do enough to make door slide easily? Thanks.

The rollers are not rolling and you need to address that. If you don't
you will be here in a while asking us how to replace the track.

Something sounds wrong if after installing new patio doors they won't slide
easily. For lubricant, I guess one of the teflon based spray lubes would
be my choice, but I'd do some more checking first. Is that door at a store
where you may be able to try sliding it there? It also depends on how heavy
and big the doors are. I've had some that are lighter and slide easier
than others. Pretty much you get used to what it is, unless it's really
screwed for some reason.

It really does not matter. If the rollers are not rolling, you need to
get that fixed. If they are new, get the guy back.
As for ease, my 275 pound each hurricane doors roll easily but you are
dealing with inertia so they don't "snap". They are slow to get moving
and slow to stop.