Posted to alt.home.repair

Default powdered milk

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:56:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed"
writes:

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?

Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's we'd
use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and cheese...)
and it was cheaper than whole milk.

About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.

There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.

Less demand now = lower economies of scale?

Unlikely given that both australia and new zealand still have
powdered milk much cheaper than fresh milk and the yanks don't.

How much do you pay for a 3-4 liter jug?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 09:37:22 -0500, Nyssa
wrote:

Using half powdered/dry milk (+ water) and half fresh milk
was hyped as a big money saver back in the 50s and 60s to
stretch food budgets. Dry milk was definitely less expensive
than fresh back then.

Back in the 1970's in Darwin, Australia, you had two choices with
milk: either buy exactly what you described above (commercially
pre-made), or risk buying 'fresh' milk that 50% of the time was
bad/going bad.

A lot of my bread machine recipes call for dry milk, and
like others, I was shocked at the higher price for the
dry stuff these days. So I just use fresh in those recipes
and adjust the water or other wet ingredients accordingly.

My problem now is that some stores carrying fresh milk
don't seem to know how to handle and store it properly
so it goes bad much faster than it should. As in opening
a new jug of milk and having it already gone lumpy within
it's "use by" date. So I avoid that store and drive to
a farther one whenever I need to buy fresh milk. More
gas burned, but less wasted milk.
Nyssa, who has figured out that keeping a quart of milk
in the freezer for emergencies is more cost effective than
making a trip into town for just milk

Back in Australia, I live in a remote area. A lot of the time I am
lucky enough to get farm fresh milk, but when I cannot I also keep
pastuerised milk in the freezer for the same reason you do. I find it
is okay for at least a month frozen, I cannot detect any real
difference in flavour or texture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:56:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed"
writes:

But powdered milk used to be cheaper than fresh milk, presumably
because they didn't have to move it in refrigerated trucks etc once
made, so the question is why has the price ratio changed now ?

Just confirming your recollection here. Back in the 1960's we'd
use powdered milk in cooking (mmmm, macaroni and cheese...)
and it was cheaper than whole milk.

About 15 years ago (after decades of not using any) I went
to pick up some more, and was surprised that the dry stuff
was more expensive.

There's so much in the way of price controls and minimum
pricing and rules and regulation, that I can't even try
guessing as to the reasons.

Less demand now = lower economies of scale?

Unlikely given that both australia and new zealand still have
powdered milk much cheaper than fresh milk and the yanks don't.

How much do you pay for a 3-4 liter jug?

3l $3

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 07:39:52 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:56:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed"
writes:

[...]

So that is a bit more expensive than $2.43US a gallon but close.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 07:39:52 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:56:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed"
writes:

[...]

And the powdered milk is half the price, unlike in the US. Not clear
why the US is unique with milk producers in having the powdered
milk much more expensive than fresh milk. Must be some quirk of
the milk market there IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 10:12:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

3l $3

So that is a bit more expensive than $2.43US a gallon but close.

And the powdered milk is half the price, unlike in the US. Not clear
why the US is unique with milk producers in having the powdered
milk much more expensive than fresh milk. Must be some quirk of
the milk market there IMO.

You were provided with the correct answer ALREADY, you senile idiot!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 10:12:35 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed"
writes:

[...]

I am not sure powdered milk is really that popular here. I know when
Reagan was giving away government cheese, powdered milk was part of
that program along with rice, honey, corn meal and rolled oats.
Most people just got cheese.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 10:12:35 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 07:39:52 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 10 Nov 2018 18:56:18 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
t...
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 23:35:13 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Rod Speed"
writes:

[...]

It isnt here either, just half the price and always has been.

I know when Reagan was giving away government cheese,
powdered milk was part of that program along with rice,
honey, corn meal and rolled oats. Most people just got cheese.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 14:55:54 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I am not sure powdered milk is really that popular here.

It isnt here either, just half the price and always has been.

Well, it's NOT half the price in other countries, senile Rot! Can you accept
this fact finally? BG

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."