Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flourescent light fixture not working

I was sold the wrong kind of tube lights at Home Depot. I asked for help and showed them my 32 watt 4 foot fluorescent tube that was burnt out and the guy sold me a 10 pack of LED tube lights.

I tried them in one of the fixtures and of course they did not work and now that fixture doesn't work. The other fixture is working fine. I got 4 brand new fluorescent tubes this morning.

I double checked and the bulbs in the bad fixture are good.

Could the LED bulbs had burnt out something in the fixture?

Thanks for any feedback on this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 11:02:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I was sold the wrong kind of tube lights at Home Depot. I asked for help and showed them my 32 watt 4 foot fluorescent tube that was burnt out and the guy sold me a 10 pack of LED tube lights.

I tried them in one of the fixtures and of course they did not work and now that fixture doesn't work. The other fixture is working fine. I got 4 brand new fluorescent tubes this morning.

I double checked and the bulbs in the bad fixture are good.

Could the LED bulbs had burnt out something in the fixture?

Thanks for any feedback on this.

I doubt the LEDs had anything to do with damaging the fixture. They draw
little power, more likely the fixture had a bad ballast or other problem.
Why not replace the whole fixture with an LED one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 11:11:48 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 11:02:19 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I was sold the wrong kind of tube lights at Home Depot. I asked for help and showed them my 32 watt 4 foot fluorescent tube that was burnt out and the guy sold me a 10 pack of LED tube lights.

I tried them in one of the fixtures and of course they did not work and now that fixture doesn't work. The other fixture is working fine. I got 4 brand new fluorescent tubes this morning.

I double checked and the bulbs in the bad fixture are good.

Could the LED bulbs had burnt out something in the fixture?

Thanks for any feedback on this.

I doubt the LEDs had anything to do with damaging the fixture. They draw
little power, more likely the fixture had a bad ballast or other problem.
Why not replace the whole fixture with an LED one?

or you could rewire the fixture to work with the LED bulbs, you may have to remove the ballast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2018 11:18 AM, wrote:
[...]

If your new bulbs are the "ballast bypass" type, you need to remove the
ballast and wire power directly to the bulbs. Some bulbs are powered at
one end and some are powered H to one end and N to the other end.

As a side note, I just bought some ballast bypass LED tubes that can be
powered in any way. I would really like to see the schematic of the
inside LED driver to see how they do that, as the external wiring
diagram show just about every conceivable wiring configuration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 22 Oct 2018 08:02:14 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

I was sold the wrong kind of tube lights at Home Depot. I asked for help and showed them my 32 watt 4 foot fluorescent tube that was burnt out and the guy sold me a 10 pack of LED tube lights.

I tried them in one of the fixtures and of course they did not work and now that fixture doesn't work.

I suppose it didnt' work well before you bought the new light, so did it
then not work at all or did it flicker?

Did you put the old bulb back? If it flickered before, did it flicker
then?

There is a lesson that applies to much bigger things than hardwa
Check what you're sold to make sure it's what you want.

A pharmacy once made an automated call to me to tell me my prescription
was ready (as they often had before) and they gave me an antibiotic that
I had gotten from them once a year or two ago, but which I had no need
for then. The same pharmacy twice sold me atavan, lorezepan, which I
needed to get through an MRI, in a dose twice what was ordered. I
noticed only after I was verrry sleepy after the second one, and I paid
attention** and the third time they sold me the right pill. (3 attempts
to get the MRI). **In order to catch them, because I'd swallowed the
first two.

The antibiotic above came later and its itentity was marked right on the
bottle, but the other two pills did't match their bottle. Since then if
the pill isn't wrapped at the factory, I look it up online, with google
images, to see if its image matches what I'm supposed to take. This
isn't easy sometimes because some pills come in as many as 8
shapes/sizes/colors.

The other fixture is working fine. I got 4 brand new fluorescent tubes this morning.

I double checked and the bulbs in the bad fixture are good.

But you should also put in the bad bulb to see if it works worse than
before putting in the wrong bulb.

Could the LED bulbs had burnt out something in the fixture?

I defer to other poeple on this, though my guess is No.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2018 1:10 PM, micky wrote:
I was sold the wrong kind of tube lights at Home Depot. I asked for help and showed them my 32 watt 4 foot fluorescent tube that was burnt out and the guy sold me a 10 pack of LED tube lights.

I tried them in one of the fixtures and of course they did not work and now that fixture doesn't work.

FWIW, there's a good chance anyone wearing an orange vest is a democrat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suppose it didnt' work well before you bought the new light, so did it
then not work at all or did it flicker?

I can't remember if it flickered or not. I'm pretty sure it was flickering which is why I think putting in the LED light somehow broke the fixture.
The other fixture was flickering and the lights were exactly the same age so it makes sense that they were going bad around the same time.

Did you put the old bulb back? If it flickered before, did it flicker
then?

I put new bulbs in but I tested the new bulbs in the other identical fixture and they work in that fixture.

There is a lesson that applies to much bigger things than hardwa
Check what you're sold to make sure it's what you want.

Yes, lesson learned!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 2:31:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I suppose it didnt' work well before you bought the new light, so did it
then not work at all or did it flicker?

I can't remember if it flickered or not. I'm pretty sure it was flickering which is why I think putting in the LED light somehow broke the fixture.
The other fixture was flickering and the lights were exactly the same age so it makes sense that they were going bad around the same time.

Did you put the old bulb back? If it flickered before, did it flicker
then?

I put new bulbs in but I tested the new bulbs in the other identical fixture and they work in that fixture.

There is a lesson that applies to much bigger things than hardwa
Check what you're sold to make sure it's what you want.

Yes, lesson learned!

I suggested a new LED fixture. Another poster suggested the retrofit LED
bulbs where you wire them into the AC, eliminate the ballast. I'd say
one of those is your best option. Then the electrical stuff there
doesn't matter anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:

I was sold the wrong kind of tube lights at Home Depot. I asked for
help and showed them my 32 watt 4 foot fluorescent tube that was burnt
out and the guy sold me a 10 pack of LED tube lights.

I tried them in one of the fixtures and of course they did not work
and now that fixture doesn't work. The other fixture is working fine.
I got 4 brand new fluorescent tubes this morning.

I double checked and the bulbs in the bad fixture are good.

Could the LED bulbs had burnt out something in the fixture?

Thanks for any feedback on this.

This is a case where you are going to have to read the instructions.
Hopefully the bulbs came with instructions.
Normally LED bulbs do require some re-wiring of the fixture.
You bypass the ballast and supply power at one end.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 13:43:18 -0400, Homer
wrote:

On 10/22/2018 1:10 PM, micky wrote:
I was sold the wrong kind of tube lights at Home Depot. I asked for help and showed them my 32 watt 4 foot fluorescent tube that was burnt out and the guy sold me a 10 pack of LED tube lights.

I tried them in one of the fixtures and of course they did not work and now that fixture doesn't work.

FWIW, there's a good chance anyone wearing an orange vest is a democrat.

What the hell does political affiliation have to do with it? If
anything if they lied they must be a republican.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 16:21:25 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

" writes:

I was sold the wrong kind of tube lights at Home Depot. I asked for
help and showed them my 32 watt 4 foot fluorescent tube that was burnt
out and the guy sold me a 10 pack of LED tube lights.

I tried them in one of the fixtures and of course they did not work
and now that fixture doesn't work. The other fixture is working fine.
I got 4 brand new fluorescent tubes this morning.

I double checked and the bulbs in the bad fixture are good.

Could the LED bulbs had burnt out something in the fixture?

Thanks for any feedback on this.

This is a case where you are going to have to read the instructions.
Hopefully the bulbs came with instructions.
Normally LED bulbs do require some re-wiring of the fixture.
You bypass the ballast and supply power at one end.

Wrong.
The LED tubes sold by Home Despot do NOT require rewiring - but they
DO require a functioning ballast. The fixture failed to light the
original tubes because the ballast was weak. Bad tubes can accellerate
ballast failure and bad ballasts can accellerate tube failure.

Now, if you only needed 2 tubes and you let the 'droid sell you a case
of 10, there is definitely some "ballast" involved above your
shoulders as well - - - - - - They DO sell pakages of 2.

I'v installed quite a few. They work very well

Posted to alt.home.repair

In Clare Snyder writes:

Normally LED bulbs do require some re-wiring of the fixture.
You bypass the ballast and supply power at one end.

Wrong.

The LED tubes sold by Home Despot do NOT require rewiring - but they
DO require a functioning ballast. The fixture failed to light the
original tubes because the ballast was weak. Bad tubes can accellerate
ballast failure and bad ballasts can accellerate tube failure.

Don't be so quick.

Home Depot, and the other marketers, sell _two different_ types
of LED drop-in replacement tubes.

One type will, in fact, work with the legacy ballast so doesn't
require rewiring [a].

The others operate off (in this country...) 120VAC.

To use the second type you have to bypass/remove the ballasts
and hook up the 120V wiring directly to the doghouses.

I suspect the original poster got the wrong type...

Someone here pointed out that there was a third type of tube
that somehow or other could be used with both the ballasted
fixtures and the directly wired ones. I've never seen them
but hey, it's possible.

[a] my head hurts visualizing how that can work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 6:24:19 PM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
In Clare Snyder writes:

Normally LED bulbs do require some re-wiring of the fixture.
You bypass the ballast and supply power at one end.

Wrong.

The LED tubes sold by Home Despot do NOT require rewiring - but they
DO require a functioning ballast. The fixture failed to light the
original tubes because the ballast was weak. Bad tubes can accellerate
ballast failure and bad ballasts can accellerate tube failure.

Don't be so quick.

Home Depot, and the other marketers, sell _two different_ types
of LED drop-in replacement tubes.

One type will, in fact, work with the legacy ballast so doesn't
require rewiring [a].

The others operate off (in this country...) 120VAC.

To use the second type you have to bypass/remove the ballasts
and hook up the 120V wiring directly to the doghouses.

I suspect the original poster got the wrong type...

I guess so, given that he was having problems with the existing one
and wasn't sure of what was wrong. But I can see someone starting
there, instead of pulling the fixture apart to rewire it. Me,
I'd go with a new LED fixture, unless there is some good reason not to.

Someone here pointed out that there was a third type of tube
that somehow or other could be used with both the ballasted
fixtures and the directly wired ones. I've never seen them
but hey, it's possible.

[a] my head hurts visualizing how that can work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

[...]

Yep, all kinds of LED tubes. I replaced some about 2 months ago. The
ones I bought were for use without the ballast. I cut the wires to it
and just used one end of the LED tube connected to the 2 wires of the
AC line comming in. The other end was not used in this installation.

Some tubes just go in without any rewiring and the origional balast must
be good.

I do believe there is the 3 rd type,but did not look for it as all I
wanted to do was to replace the tubes and not use a ballast which may or
may not have been bad at this time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2018 6:50 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...
[...]

Â* My ballasts had been fried by a surge , so I bought the
direct-wire-to-line type . My only complaint is that I wish I'd ordered
the frosted variety .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 22:24:15 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Clare Snyder writes:

Normally LED bulbs do require some re-wiring of the fixture.
You bypass the ballast and supply power at one end.

Wrong.

The LED tubes sold by Home Despot do NOT require rewiring - but they
DO require a functioning ballast. The fixture failed to light the
original tubes because the ballast was weak. Bad tubes can accellerate
ballast failure and bad ballasts can accellerate tube failure.

Don't be so quick.

Home Depot, and the other marketers, sell _two different_ types
of LED drop-in replacement tubes.

Here in Canada Home Despot only sells the "direct fit" units that
don't require rewiring. They only sell ONE 10-pack of 4 foot tubes in
the USA. It is from Philips - part# Model# 472910 which REQUIRES a
functional instant start T8 ballast.

I should have said THOSE LED tubes sold by Home Dspot in the USA do
not require rewiring.

They also sell, in the USA, a "retrofit kit" Model# 54296168 that
contains the required tombstones etc - made to replace T12 tubes
bypassing the ballast. Not sold in Canada because they are not legal
here.''

In the USA you can buy single and dual tube packs of both direct fit
and ballast bypass tubes.

Only ONE ten pac though - which is what the OP bpught and is what we
were talking about - - - - -

One type will, in fact, work with the legacy ballast so doesn't
require rewiring [a].

The others operate off (in this country...) 120VAC.

To use the second type you have to bypass/remove the ballasts
and hook up the 120V wiring directly to the doghouses.

I suspect the original poster got the wrong type...

Someone here pointed out that there was a third type of tube
that somehow or other could be used with both the ballasted
fixtures and the directly wired ones. I've never seen them
but hey, it's possible.

[a] my head hurts visualizing how that can work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 19:50:24 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

The OP said he purchased the 10 pac from Home Despot. They only list
one 1 10pac - and it is DIRECT FIT and requires a functional T8
instant start ballast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 19:40:20 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

Up here if the ballast is shot you are cheaper tp buy an LED
replacement fixture in most cases. Direct wire (ballast bypass) are
not legal to install here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sorry - they also list a 10 pac of FEIT direct fit tubes - all the
bulk pacs of rewire tubes are 12 pacs.

the Feit Model # T4815840AB/LED/MP/12 12 pac is universal - T8 or
T12, with or without ballast