Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Found a microwave I like!

Hi All,

On Topic? What ??? Go figure ...

The state of microwave overs is tragic with the market begin
taken over by 3C (Cheap Chinese Crap) manufacturers:
they last a year, flame out, start on their own, etc.
etc. etc..

I finally found a microwave I absolutely adore. It
only have one optoelectric rotor knob. And it
has no turntable. It have some kind of scattering technology
that cooks more evenly than a turntable. And it is
easy to clean. Built like a tank. I expect to
outlive it. It is twice as heavy as a 3C model.
It is really, really easy to operate! It is
quiet too.

Guess what, it is the same microwave you find operating
at 7-11

Sharp R-21LCF Medium-Duty Commercial Microwave (Dial Timer,
1000-Watts, 120-Volts) $265.00 at Amazon

Cost comparison, not including fire damage, fire extinguishers,
switched electrical outlets, wear on ones nerves, etc.:

Cheap Chinese Crap (I own one too, unfortunately):
Toshiba EM925A5A-BS Microwave Oven with Sound On/Off
and ECO Mode,0.9 Cu.ft. 900W, Black Stainless Steel
$89.17 at Amazon

By the way, it is not made by Toshiba. Some 3C manufacturer
bought the rights to sell it under Toshiba's name.

Cost of Ownership:

Twenty year life:
Sharp R-21LCF
1 x $265.00

3C Toshiba EM925A5A-BS
20 x 89.17
$1,783.40

Making the Sharp 6.7 TIMES cheaper to operate.

-T

The Sharp is made in Thailand, not China.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Sharp is made in Thailand, not China.

.. must be good to be outsourced FROM China ! :-)
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 5:04:12 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
[...]

Wow, big F difference. Maybe you should go to work for Consumer Reports.
But I don't think they'd approve of your methods.

In reality, it's not just where it's made, it's who's making it and controlling
the process. There are really good products coming out of China and similar
countries, eg Thailand, and there are crap products. Apple products,
for example, are made in China.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2018 03:04 AM, T wrote:
By the way, it is not made by Toshiba. Some 3C manufacturer
bought the rights to sell it under Toshiba's name.

You're safe with a microwave. Hisense, a 3C company, is licensed to sell
TVs under the Sharp name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2018 5:04 AM, T wrote:
I finally found a microwave I absolutely adore.Â* It
only have one optoelectric rotor knob.Â* And it
has no turntable.Â* It have some kind of scattering technology
that cooks more evenly than a turntable.Â* And it is
easy to clean.Â* Built like a tank.Â* I expect to
outlive it.Â* It is twice as heavy as a 3C model.
It is really, really easy to operate!Â* It is
quiet too.

..
If you can open/close the door and set the controls with a single clean finger, I'm all in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.
If you can open/close the door and set the controls with a single clean
finger, I'm all in.

The door is very easy to open. And yes, you can rotate the knob
with your nose if you want. We both fell in love with this thing
very quickly.

The one quirk, which I presume is a safety feature, is that
you can't set the timer unless you open and close the door.
And it will time out in about 30 seconds if your don't
set it right away. So, you have to open the door again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 5:04:12 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
Built like a tank. I expect to
outlive it.

That sold me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 4:04:12 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
[...]
I finally found a microwave I absolutely adore. It
only have one optoelectric rotor knob. And it has no
turntable. It have some kind of scattering technology
that cooks more evenly than a turntable. And it is
easy to clean. Built like a tank.

I think I've only owned three microwaves in my life. What
is the problem? When they do fail it is usually just a bad
safety switch or some other cheap part. I usually kill the
beeper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/18 7:46 AM, Davej wrote:
On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 4:04:12 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
[...]
I finally found a microwave I absolutely adore. It
only have one optoelectric rotor knob. And it has no
turntable. It have some kind of scattering technology
that cooks more evenly than a turntable. And it is
easy to clean. Built like a tank.

I think I've only owned three microwaves in my life. What
is the problem? When they do fail it is usually just a bad
safety switch or some other cheap part. I usually kill the
beeper.

Oh ya, the old ones lasted 20 years or more. The latest
offerings are shear crap. They turn on on the own, they
over heat, they catch fire, etc.. They are only good for
a year. I installed a switched outlet for the ones I
had. They are switched off when no one is in attendance.
And we have a fire extinguisher at the ready. 3C = Cheap
Chinese Crap
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 08:22:47 -0700, T wrote:

On 10/22/18 7:46 AM, Davej wrote:
[...]

Maybe you shouldn't shop at Honest Bob's New, Used,
Scratch & Dent, Returns & Re-Furb Discount Outlet ..
My 3 year old $ 120. Panasonic Inverter unit is doing fine
and actually works better than the 20 year old one that
it replaced. I'm not expecting 20 years but I'll get 10 +
methinks.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2018 10:46 AM, Davej wrote:
On Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 4:04:12 AM UTC-5, T wrote:
[...]
I finally found a microwave I absolutely adore. It
only have one optoelectric rotor knob. And it has no
turntable. It have some kind of scattering technology
that cooks more evenly than a turntable. And it is
easy to clean. Built like a tank.

I think I've only owned three microwaves in my life. What
is the problem? When they do fail it is usually just a bad
safety switch or some other cheap part. I usually kill the
beeper.

We tossed our last one which was maybe 5 years old and working fine
because my wife did not like the rust spots in the chamber which
enameling over did not help. These things are like toasters today to be
tossed after a few years for a new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/18 7:46 AM, Davej wrote:
[...]

That's what I have here too, Panasonic, about 7 years old, works
great, no problems. The light bulb did burn out, but I don't
feel like taking the whole damn thing apart to replace it. And like
yours, it cost less than half Mr. T's commercial one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/18 7:46 AM, Davej wrote:
[...]

And, the new Panasonic inverter ovens have LED lighting which will
probably never burn out in the oven's life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 22 Oct 2018 09:27:40a, told us...

On 10/22/18 7:46 AM, Davej wrote:
[...]

We love our Panasonic Inverter ovens. We have two of them.

Same here. This is what Mr. T got for $265:

Lighted 6-minute dial timer
1-stage cooking, 100% power only

That would be totally unacceptable here. Only 6 mins and only 100% power?
Forget about it. I use less than full power more often than full power.
Thawing something out, for example. The Panasonic even has a defrost
mode, where it does about 30% power, in cycles on and off, giving the food
time to disperse the heat. It defrosts it without COOKING it, which is
what you want for say frozen hamburger meat. If I'm heating something
up from the fridge,
usually use 50% power, because otherwise it overheats part of the food.
You have parts of it too hot, starting to spatter, etc.
And 6 mins? A frozen eggplant parm or lasagna takes about 10 mins,
you'd have to restart it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/18 7:46 AM, Davej wrote:
[...]

We use a Panasonic Inverter Microwave. Brilliant.

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/18 7:46 AM, Davej wrote:
[...]

Probably going over 10 years with Panasonic inverter. Far more power than
others I have used. Also has variable power.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/18 7:46 AM, Davej wrote:
[...]

My big Sears microwave/Turbo oven, has a lot less power on microwave. The
turbo mode is too slow, as it takes too long to preheat, and has no direct
radiated energy. My first in 1971 was a Heathkit. I had to work on that a
few times. I got a hold of a couple Norelcos, and made one work with a
simple timer, disconnecting control board. The Norelcos had a temperature
probe feature, which I could not use without control board. The Sears has a
neat multi control knob, which I can add or subtract time in real time
while heating. It can also cycle between microwave and turbo for more
browning or drying items.

Greg