Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need a powerwasher for alum siding

I have tried to find a business to powerwash my siding. 990 sq inside. On a hill so one side i can almost spit on the roof, the other twice. House on a hill so top is one story, bottom is 2. Did homeadvisor etc with nobody needing quick cash.
Looking for electric but i do not want the need to buy more hoses and cords.
My thought is to spend 300 bucks on a new one and offer the machine to whoever wants the job.

I would only use it once every 5 years but it could sound like a good deal to the washer buyer who does not have one.
Should I buy one and use it? Compared to giving it away for the cost of the job? This is not my forte.

Aluminum siding with awnings and other gross **** needing a wash. Sidewalk etc.

Will a 3000psi hurt siding?

If you are bored, i am a payer of cash.
If i could find one that sucks water from a big bucket I would check it out.

I'll check back after 100 political posts from the dumb ****s.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 4:34:36 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
[...]

You can probably rent one for $50 for a day, if you can DIY. It's not
hard, the only real issue is having ladders, moving them, etc. I have
an electric and it's fine for what you want to use it for. But then the
one I have is a heavy, industrial type beast that's supposed to run on
a 20A circuit, but I've used it on 15A. You do need a heavy gauge ext
cord, I have a 10g one. That makes a huge difference, if you try to use
it on a typical ext that is probably 16g, the voltage drop is too much
and it will trip the breaker. 3000 PSI is probably more than you need,
but extra pressure is OK as long as you know what you're doing. IF you
use it on wood, then you need to be careful, if you get too close, you
will lift the grain and start to rip the wood. If it were me, buying one
for $300 and giving it away makes no sense. It just complicates the
transaction, eg suppose the guy doesn't need it, doesn't like that kind,
wants gas and yours is electric, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2018 4:34 PM, Thomas wrote:
[...]

..
..
Most trades people share a database of tightwad customers.Â* If you're on the penny-pincher list, forget about a callback.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

A neighbor was washing his with a power washer that had an extension.
Told me he once did it for a living. He said besides pressure what is
very important is water volume. I had a cheap electric one and it was
worthless and if not careful would streak the aluminum siding at nowhere
near 3000 psi.

My house is two story on a sloping lot but I can wash a lot of it with
an extension broom and normal pressure water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas writes:

[...]

An electric is way easier to use, the extension cords and hoses are
normal stuff for a homeowner to have.

If you hold the washer too close to the house you will cause damage.
With higher pressure, just don't get as close.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2018 1:34 PM, Thomas wrote:
[...]

You might be very surprised what a couple gallons of warm water with a
cup of bleach and 1/4 cup of real TSP will do for cleaning siding. Spray
the cleaner on the siding with a garden pump sprayer, brush it well with
a Looong handled brush, then rinse it off with a hose. Cover plants first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 19:21:34 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Thomas writes:

[...]

And no matter HOW you do it, getting consistent results is different.
Stripes are a common outcome. I use a brush on a long handle, a bucket
of cleaner, and a hose. A brush attachment on a pressure washer with a
soap injector is the cat's meow - but I don't have it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 16:23:43 -0700, Bob F wrote:

[...]

What I use, but I add dishwashing detergent to the mix - it rinses
better