Posted to alt.home.repair

Default car interior leather painting

What sort of paint is used on a car (QX56) interior. The paint seems to have rubbed off on the steering wheel and corners of drivers seat. I was wondering if the best option might be to paint it. Is this [for leather] paint sold at AutoZone? If I tape off and spray it on, will it look good?
The auto dealer recommends replacing the steering wheel and seat, but that is pricy. I guess I could always go that route if the paint job looks bad!
Has anyone tried painting a light tan interior?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 4:35:28 PM UTC-5, Walter Heger wrote:
What sort of paint is used on a car (QX56) interior. The paint seems to have rubbed off on the steering wheel and corners of drivers seat. I was wondering if the best option might be to paint it. Is this [for leather] paint sold at AutoZone? If I tape off and spray it on, will it look good?
The auto dealer recommends replacing the steering wheel and seat, but that is pricy. I guess I could always go that route if the paint job looks bad!
Has anyone tried painting a light tan interior?

I see this, but wonder if it as good as advertised?
https://www.zoro.com/rust-oleum-fabr...21/i/G0716703/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 5:35:28 PM UTC-4, Walter Heger wrote:
What sort of paint is used on a car (QX56) interior. The paint seems to have rubbed off on the steering wheel and corners of drivers seat. I was wondering if the best option might be to paint it. Is this [for leather] paint sold at AutoZone? If I tape off and spray it on, will it look good?
The auto dealer recommends replacing the steering wheel and seat, but that is pricy. I guess I could always go that route if the paint job looks bad!
Has anyone tried painting a light tan interior?

If it's leather it's not painted, it is finished similar to how any leather like a sofa or jacket is finished. I had leather seats refurbished in a classic Mercedes by a local shop where the driver seat had worn the color off.. They did all the seats and it came out looking like new. There may be products available for DIY, but if you need color because it's worn off, it has to match the oem color.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 14:38:23 -0700 (PDT), Walter Heger
wrote:

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 4:35:28 PM UTC-5, Walter Heger wrote:
What sort of paint is used on a car (QX56) interior. The paint seems to have rubbed off on the steering wheel and corners of drivers seat. I was wondering if the best option might be to paint it. Is this [for leather] paint sold at AutoZone? If I tape off and spray it on, will it look good?
The auto dealer recommends replacing the steering wheel and seat, but that is pricy. I guess I could always go that route if the paint job looks bad!
Has anyone tried painting a light tan interior?

I see this, but wonder if it as good as advertised?
https://www.zoro.com/rust-oleum-fabr...21/i/G0716703/

Like most rustoleum paint it has a tendancy to come off.It is a
fabric vinyl paint - not made for leather Leather is DIED, not
painted.

See
http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_you...e_leather.html
and
https://www.leatherworldtech.com/Aut...art-s/1843.htm
and
https://www.seatdoctors.com/shop/automotive-leather-dye
and
https://leathermagic.com/leather-dye...oringpainting/

for starters
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/07/2018 03:35 PM, Walter Heger wrote:
What sort of paint is used on a car (QX56) interior. The paint seems to have rubbed off on the steering wheel and corners of drivers seat. I was wondering if the best option might be to paint it. Is this [for leather] paint sold at AutoZone? If I tape off and spray it on, will it look good?
The auto dealer recommends replacing the steering wheel and seat, but that is pricy. I guess I could always go that route if the paint job looks bad!
Has anyone tried painting a light tan interior?

Assuming it is aniline leather:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KIaDDd9KEE

I have no connection to that product and there are other similar
products on the market but that's the general idea.

If it is vinyl that's a horse of a different color so to speak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 7 Oct 2018 15:38:55 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

I've read, maybe here, that leather seats use thin leather which is
covered by clear plastic. Of course if the color is gone, the plastic
would be gone there too, but not elsewhere on the same seat.

My 2000 Toyota leather steering wheel wasn't in good condition and
cleaning it didnt' help. I would have rather had an attractive plastic
steering wheel like on my '65 Pontiac, than a leather wheel that lookeed
crummy.

The 2005 Toyota leather steering wheel still looks very nice, so in
order not to wear off the nice finish, I try not to steer. So far, so
good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/07/2018 07:36 PM, micky wrote:
I've read, maybe here, that leather seats use thin leather which is
covered by clear plastic. Of course if the color is gone, the plastic
would be gone there too, but not elsewhere on the same seat.

semi-aniline leather.

https://www.chambersnaturalproducts....r-conditioner/

That complicates the OP's life. Aniline leather is top shelf leather
that is only dyed to bring out the grain. Semi-aniline is dyed the same
but has a urethane top coat that makes it more stain resistant and also
may contain additional pigmentation to cover minor problems. The terms
vary, but pigmented leather has a similar top coat but it isn't
semi-transparent.

For a car, I'd guess at least semi-aniline unless it comes with a
chauffeur to maintain the upholstery. When you pour that hot coffee in
your lap you wouldn't want to stain the leather.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 21:05:17 -0600, rbowman wrote:

[...]

The leather in my 85 Chrysler mark cross was top grain full aniline.
The 88 Mark Cross was either top grain or full grain full aniline.
The Mystique was full grain full aniline but very stiff.

Full aniline weather needs to be "fed" to keep it smooth and supple.

You can tell full anilne by looking at the back. Only full aniline is
died all the way through.
Full grain has minor "defects" like scratches and fly bites while top
grain has defects "sanded" out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 21:05:17 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

semi-aniline leather.

Sorry, I just read senileline leather, senile lowbrowman! But that's quite
pardonable when you are around, I suppose. LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 19:22:40 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

Assuming it is aniline leather:

Asinine leather would be perfect for you, lowbrowman! LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

DIED

dyed ? All leather is dead, at least when we get it... :-)

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 14:29:00 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

DIED

dyed ? All leather is dead, at least when we get it... :-)

And has the horns cut off.

"Tannins are an important ingredient in the process of tanning
leather. Tanbark from oak, mimosa, chestnut and quebracho tree has
traditionally been the primary source of tannery tannin, though
inorganic tanning agents are also in use today and account for 90% of
the world's leather production."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannin#Uses
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/09/2018 04:10 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 14:29:00 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

DIED

dyed ? All leather is dead, at least when we get it... :-)

And has the horns cut off.

"Tannins are an important ingredient in the process of tanning
leather. Tanbark from oak, mimosa, chestnut and quebracho tree has
traditionally been the primary source of tannery tannin, though
inorganic tanning agents are also in use today and account for 90% of
the world's leather production."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannin#Uses

I used to brain tan furry little critters. The Great Spirit said every
animal has enough brains to tan its hide. Thank the Great Spirit I never
had to skin and tan a Democrat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 20:46:24 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Thank the Great Spirit I never had to skin and tan a Democrat.

Thank the Great Spirit. You would be busy for days and need extra
lunches.
--
"People who worry about crocodiles are smart!" -Joe Machi
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 20:46:24 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Thank the Great Spirit I never had to skin and tan a Democrat.

Thank the Great Spirit. You would be busy for days and need extra
lunches.

Are they not Teflon coated already? Nothing seems to stick to them...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:41:08 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 20:46:24 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Thank the Great Spirit I never had to skin and tan a Democrat.

Thank the Great Spirit. You would be busy for days and need extra
lunches.

Are they not Teflon coated already? Nothing seems to stick to them...

Just scrape the Teflon off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 1:59:13 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:41:08 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 20:46:24 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Thank the Great Spirit I never had to skin and tan a Democrat.

Thank the Great Spirit. You would be busy for days and need extra
lunches.

Are they not Teflon coated already? Nothing seems to stick to them...

Just scrape the Teflon off.

Anyone else notice how these one hit wonder posters show up, start a thread,
there are lots of responses, but the OP is never heard from again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 posted for all of us...

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 1:59:13 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:41:08 -0400, Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

Was it from Homemoaners Hubless like: crazy number @ example.com ?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 4:19:47 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
trader_4 posted for all of us...

On Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 1:59:13 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:41:08 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 20:46:24 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Thank the Great Spirit I never had to skin and tan a Democrat.

Thank the Great Spirit. You would be busy for days and need extra
lunches.

Are they not Teflon coated already? Nothing seems to stick to them....

Just scrape the Teflon off.

Anyone else notice how these one hit wonder posters show up, start a thread,
there are lots of responses, but the OP is never heard from again?

Was it from Homemoaners Hubless like: crazy number @ example.com ?

--
Tekkie

This one wasn't but a lot of the one hit wonders do come from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2018 11:41 AM, Tekkie® wrote:
Oren posted for all of us...

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 20:46:24 -0600, rbowman wrote:

Thank the Great Spirit I never had to skin and tan a Democrat.

Thank the Great Spirit. You would be busy for days and need extra
lunches.

Are they not Teflon coated already? Nothing seems to stick to them...

That's not teflon; it's common old grease.