Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring protection auto or similar application?

Working on JLG 40H manlift; the choke control solenoid failed so
previous owners just bypassed and jumpered battery/ignition voltage to
the control logic circuit and connected it to the choke solenoid. This
worked for a while, but the small conductor wire with long run from the
controls in the bucket isn't pulling sufficient current reliably so am
in process of putting back to way it is supposed to be...new power
solenoid to feed power, move controls back to control-only.

As long-winded preamble, there's a solid protective sheath over the wire
runs internal to the machine for wear and thermal and oil/gas
protection; it's solid plastic material of some sort (similar in
appearance to, but heavier than shrink tube). I'd like something
similar when run the replacement wiring (not only did they jumper stuff,
the maroons then chopped the bypassed stuff off so have to rerun those).

But, I've not found anything local that really suits; anybody got any
ideas for what this might have been? There's a lot of braided I could
use but because there is quite a lot of oil/grease/dirt in this old
thing I'd kinda' like the solid if could find it.

Also, there are 4 to 6-ft runs so need something I can buy like a 25-ft
roll of, not just 2-ft sections...

Clare, you got any ideas, maybe... ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2018 2:09 PM, dpb wrote:

But, I've not found anything local that really suits; anybody got any
ideas for what this might have been?Â* There's a lot of braided I could
use but because there is quite a lot of oil/grease/dirt in this old
thing I'd kinda' like the solid if could find it.

Also, there are 4 to 6-ft runs so need something I can buy like a 25-ft
roll of, not just 2-ft sections...

Oh, for immediate need a 3/16" or 1/4" D would be ideal; if can find
something I'm sure it'll also come in various diameters...there's a
variety of this stuff from small like this to as much as 1-1/2" for the
main control cable bundles...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

How about Viton tubing or similar? Auto parts stores have it by the foot.
They may have something less expensive that's fuel resistant too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/18 2:20 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I was going to suggest fuel line. How about hydraulic hose?
Flexible pvc electrical tubing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2018 2:29 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/6/18 2:20 PM, trader_4 wrote:

How about Viton tubing or similar?Â* Auto parts stores have it by the
foot.
They may have something less expensive that's fuel resistant too.

Â*Â*Â* I was going to suggest fuel line.Â*Â* How about hydraulic hose?
Flexible pvc electrical tubing?

Thanks...what was available locally all is a much thicker wall thickness
than I was hoping to find...if I don't find something I'll probably just
break down and order some (or see if local parts have any except short
pieces) of the braided and go on...

For the fuel trailer I transformed the old pull sprayer under-carriage
into, I happened onto some surplussed 3/8" pex Ace had in their 50-cent
bin...it made a nice conduit for it so no danger catching wiring on
anything...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/18 2:20 PM, trader_4 wrote:

How about Viton tubing or similar?Â* Auto parts stores have it by the
foot.
They may have something less expensive that's fuel resistant too.

Â*Â*Â* I was going to suggest fuel line.Â*Â* How about hydraulic hose?
Flexible pvc electrical tubing?

Thanks...what was available locally all is a much thicker wall thickness
than I was hoping to find...if I don't find something I'll probably just
break down and order some (or see if local parts have any except short
pieces) of the braided and go on...

For the fuel trailer I transformed the old pull sprayer under-carriage
into, I happened onto some surplussed 3/8" pex Ace had in their 50-cent
bin...it made a nice conduit for it so no danger catching wiring on
anything...

--

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-ID-x-3-...AMXQ3kRQ7rG K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 14:09:10 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

How heavy are the wires? How many conductors in this sheath? How big
is the sheath? I have several ideas dependingon your answers
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 14:11:49 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/6/2018 2:09 PM, dpb wrote:

But, I've not found anything local that really suits; anybody got any
ideas for what this might have been?* There's a lot of braided I could
use but because there is quite a lot of oil/grease/dirt in this old
thing I'd kinda' like the solid if could find it.

Also, there are 4 to 6-ft runs so need something I can buy like a 25-ft
roll of, not just 2-ft sections...

Oh, for immediate need a 3/16" or 1/4" D would be ideal; if can find
something I'm sure it'll also come in various diameters...there's a
variety of this stuff from small like this to as much as 1-1/2" for the
main control cable bundles...

Try Nylaflex tubing? Or how about PEX? Use black Nylaflex - it is
ozone/ultraviolet resistant. Used for air brake hoses, automotive fuel
lines, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 2:09:23 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
[...]

Air Brake tubing, comes in various sizes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2018 4:09 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

How heavy are the wires? How many conductors in this sheath? How big
is the sheath? I have several ideas depending on your answers

The particular missing run is just one 10 ga power feed to the choke
solenoid...there are others from 1 14-16 ga conductor to a 30-conductor
cable but I don't have to deal with one of those!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 20:32:08 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/6/2018 4:09 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

How heavy are the wires? How many conductors in this sheath? How big
is the sheath? I have several ideas depending on your answers

The particular missing run is just one 10 ga power feed to the choke
solenoid...there are others from 1 14-16 ga conductor to a 30-conductor
cable but I don't have to deal with one of those!

Nylaflex air brake tubing, 1/4 ID
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 9:32:19 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 9/6/2018 4:09 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

How heavy are the wires? How many conductors in this sheath? How big
is the sheath? I have several ideas depending on your answers

The particular missing run is just one 10 ga power feed to the choke
solenoid...there are others from 1 14-16 ga conductor to a 30-conductor
cable but I don't have to deal with one of those!

--

You sure you're not over engineering it? Wire insulation for auto use is tough, I've never seen it affected by oil, if gas is getting on it, a bit of that won't harm it either, if it's more than that you have other problems. I'd only be concerned about physical abrasion, ie if it's exposed, subject to movement, etc. And hopefully it's fused.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2018 4:29 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 9:32:19 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 9/6/2018 4:09 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

How heavy are the wires? How many conductors in this sheath? How big
is the sheath? I have several ideas depending on your answers

The particular missing run is just one 10 ga power feed to the choke
solenoid...there are others from 1 14-16 ga conductor to a 30-conductor
cable but I don't have to deal with one of those!

--

You sure you're not over engineering it? Wire insulation for auto use is tough, I've never seen it affected by oil, if gas is getting on it, a bit of that won't harm it either, if it's more than that you have other problems. I'd only be concerned about physical abrasion, ie if it's exposed, subject to movement, etc. And hopefully it's fused.

It's all of the above in this beast...I've found several damaged
locations while digging out the mess left by the previous maroons when
they butchered the control circuitry to bypass power solenoid so I'd
prefer to have it over-"engineered" than not. And, JLG did use the
sheathing originally on virtually everything...it's not usual for a
vendor to add unnecessary ornamentation.

The choke power does go thru circuit breaker on the way to the forum,
yes...altho that was bypassed by hooking the control signal wire from
the operator platform directly to the choke solenoid instead of just
replacing the failed power relay...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2018 2:09 PM, dpb wrote:
Working on JLG 40H manlift; the choke control solenoid failed so
previous owners just bypassed and jumpered battery/ignition voltage to
the control logic circuit and connected it to the choke solenoid.Â* This
worked for a while, but the small conductor wire with long run from the
controls in the bucket isn't pulling sufficient current reliably so am
in process of putting back to way it is supposed to be...new power
solenoid to feed power, move controls back to control-only.

Well, it's _so_ nice to be able to control the choke from the bucket
again!!! Don't have to worry about whether it'll start w/o it or have
to leave running continuously.

And, actually, it turns out the cable I thought they had cut I finally
found the end of pushed back under the mass jumble of hydraulic hoses
and other cables so it turned out I didn't need a new run of the sheath
material after all...

But, took a fair part of a day to reroute and reconnect the pieces of
the control circuitry with some time along the way to sorta' "tidy-up"
other bits 'n pieces of less-than-stellar repair work done previously.

Replacing the failed solenoid wouldn't have been more than about a
15-minute operation back at the time it went bad. Since it spent its
former life before I acquired it as a rental unit, I suppose it was on
site and they needed it and the rental folks didn't have part on hand or
they never bothered to call and just jury-rigged it to be able to keep
using it...in all fairness, it did work pretty reliably for the first
several years as long as we kept the ground connections all really,
really good. Over last several, however, it has become more and more
troublesome until it simply wouldn't operate at all from the remote
location.

I hadn't actually been aware that the solenoid had failed and it was
mis-wired until really began troubleshooting the problem and discovered
were trying to power it from the control circuit instead of the power
circuit.