DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/617166-what-kind-spider-landed-me-when-i-working-my-booster-pump-shed.html)

Arlen Holder August 19th 18 05:55 AM

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my
booster pump shed?

Is it a tarantula?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2757053spider01.jpg

rbowman August 19th 18 06:44 AM

On 08/18/2018 10:55 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my
booster pump shed?

Is it a tarantula?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2757053spider01.jpg

Looks like one. It's a little early but in Arizona the males wander
around looking for females in the fall. It's a little weird to be
driving down the road and noticing a spider ambling across it. They can
bite if provoked but they're usually docile.

Arlen Holder August 19th 18 06:58 AM

On 18 Aug 2018 22:44:19 GMT, rbowman wrote:

Looks like one. It's a little early but in Arizona the males wander
around looking for females in the fall. It's a little weird to be
driving down the road and noticing a spider ambling across it. They can
bite if provoked but they're usually docile.

I apologize for the lousy picture. I'll take another shot in the daylight
tomorrow with better lighting.

It landed on my shoulder and was walking around, while I was hunched over
my booster pump motor ... where when I realized what it was - I
involuntarily screamed like a girl!

It's a primeval feeling - spiders and rattlers ... goes deep into the core.

When it fell off on the ground, I agree with you that it was pretty docile.
I don't think it wanted to bite me at all.

Maybe it was what was eating this snail?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7727441snail01.jpg

Where I've never seen a snail shell caught in a spider web in the air 3
feet off the ground and five inches from any wall or roof!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9390313snail02.jpg

rbowman August 19th 18 07:03 PM

On 08/18/2018 11:58 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Maybe it was what was eating this snail?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7727441snail01.jpg

Probably. They aren't fussy and the big ones can even get mice and
lizards. Other spiders are on the menu too so one well fed tarantula
beats a tribe of brown recluses any day.

Oren[_2_] August 19th 18 07:34 PM

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 04:55:31 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

Is it a tarantula?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2757053spider01.jpg

I'd say it is. Some cultures eat taranulas. Done crispy.

[email protected] August 19th 18 07:57 PM

wrote:

Is it a tarantula?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2757053spider01.jpg

I'd say it is. Some cultures eat taranulas. Done crispy.

I did a google search for " spider identification "
that returned several very good web sites - one was
specifically for North America.
... then I got scared of the photos and had to stop.
John T.

Oren[_2_] August 19th 18 08:02 PM

wrote:

Is it a tarantula?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2757053spider01.jpg

I'd say it is. Some cultures eat taranulas. Done crispy.

I did a google search for " spider identification "
that returned several very good web sites - one was
specifically for North America.
... then I got scared of the photos and had to stop.
John T.

Pussy. :-)

What scared you so badly?

[email protected] August 19th 18 08:25 PM

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

Is it a tarantula?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2757053spider01.jpg

I'd say it is. Some cultures eat taranulas. Done crispy.

I did a google search for " spider identification "
that returned several very good web sites - one was
specifically for North America.
... then I got scared of the photos and had to stop.
John T.

Pussy. :-)
What scared you so badly?

.... ss s ss S P I D E R S !

https://puppytoob.com/dog-news/mutan...trending-2014/

John T.

micky August 19th 18 10:10 PM

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 19 Aug 2018 05:58:34 -0000 (UTC), Arlen
Holder wrote:

On 18 Aug 2018 22:44:19 GMT, rbowman wrote:

Looks like one. It's a little early but in Arizona the males wander
around looking for females in the fall. It's a little weird to be
driving down the road and noticing a spider ambling across it. They can
bite if provoked but they're usually docile.

I apologize for the lousy picture. I'll take another shot in the daylight
tomorrow with better lighting.

It landed on my shoulder and was walking around, while I was hunched over
my booster pump motor ... where when I realized what it was - I
involuntarily screamed like a girl!

Amazing, isn't it. I did that once when I saw a mouse under the sink.
Later I decided it was because I thought it was an enorrrrmous roach,
and if I'd known it was a mouse, I wouldn't have screamed

So is it alive or dead in the photo?

It's a primeval feeling - spiders and rattlers ... goes deep into the core.

When it fell off on the ground, I agree with you that it was pretty docile.
I don't think it wanted to bite me at all.

Maybe it was what was eating this snail?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7727441snail01.jpg

Where I've never seen a snail shell caught in a spider web in the air 3
feet off the ground and five inches from any wall or roof!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9390313snail02.jpg

Wonder Snail!!!

micky August 19th 18 10:11 PM

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

wrote:

Is it a tarantula?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2757053spider01.jpg

I'd say it is. Some cultures eat taranulas. Done crispy.

I did a google search for " spider identification "
that returned several very good web sites - one was
specifically for North America.
... then I got scared of the photos and had to stop.
John T.

LOL.

Arlen, where do you live, or wwhere were you when this happened.

micky August 19th 18 10:14 PM

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 19 Aug 2018 15:25:15 -0400,
wrote:

Is it a tarantula?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2757053spider01.jpg

I'd say it is. Some cultures eat taranulas. Done crispy.

I did a google search for " spider identification "
that returned several very good web sites - one was
specifically for North America.
... then I got scared of the photos and had to stop.
John T.

Pussy. :-)
What scared you so badly?

... ss s ss S P I D E R S !

https://puppytoob.com/dog-news/mutan...trending-2014/

John T.

Once in high wchool looked out the window at a bush in front of our
house and there was a big spider with long black legs and a big cream
and pink body. I think it was cream colored with pink dots or lines.

3+ inches total across.

It stayed there for hours. I've never seen anything like it again, irl,
a zoo, or the web.

micky August 19th 18 10:24 PM

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

wrote:

[...]

I looked at https://www.insectidentification.org/spiders.asp
North American Spiders
It is said that some three-quarters of the human population is
intimidated by spiders in one way or another - about 3,400 species
reside in North America alone.

91 spiders but none that look anything like the one I saw I know
spiders all have segmented bodies, but this one didn't seam to. It's
body was what I think is called an oblate circle. A circle that is
moved 20% to the side, so it's 20% longer than wide

Althoujgh maybe I'm forgetting parts nad it was shaped like this, even
though the colors are all wrong:
https://www.insectidentification.org...Silk-Orbweaver

BTW, I've never used the word oblate before and I'll give myself 3
points if I used it right, one point just for using it. I googled and
I can't figure out if I used it right or not.

micky August 19th 18 10:26 PM

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 19 Aug 2018 04:55:31 -0000 (UTC), Arlen
Holder wrote:

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my
booster pump shed?

Is it a tarantula?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2757053spider01.jpg

I think maybe it is a tarantula:

https://www.jcehrlich.com/spiders/species/

micky August 20th 18 01:04 AM

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

wrote:

[...]

Not all spiders have segmented bodies, I realize.

Not Daddy Long-legs.

Arlen Holder August 20th 18 05:36 AM

On 19 Aug 2018 14:11:23 GMT, micky wrote:

Arlen, where do you live, or wwhere were you when this happened.

Silicon Valley.

Seems to be a California black tarantula (Aphonopelma eutylenum)
https://www.google.com/search?q=cali...lack+tarantula

Arlen Holder August 20th 18 05:36 AM

On 19 Aug 2018 14:10:21 GMT, micky wrote:

So is it alive or dead in the photo?

Very much alive.
I gave it water and a few bugs today.
It didn't eat the bugs. It's picky I guess. Or not hungry.

A friend snaps pictures of spiders so it's his.
I just have to get it to him.

micky August 20th 18 09:56 AM

What kind of spider is this that landed on me when I was working in my booster pump shed?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 20 Aug 2018 04:36:07 -0000 (UTC), Arlen
Holder wrote:

On 19 Aug 2018 14:11:23 GMT, micky wrote:

Arlen, where do you live, or wwhere were you when this happened.

Silicon Valley.

I thought it was too cold there for that.

Seems to be a California black tarantula (Aphonopelma eutylenum)
https://www.google.com/search?q=cali...lack+tarantula

See what I know.