Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default how does the map get into the radio?

In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does
it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?

What if you want to install the next year's version?

My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads,
even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars!
but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it
won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not.
Maybe it only has more recent stores.

And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use
DVDs anymore. ??

I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 00:15:24 -0400, micky
wrote:

In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does
it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?

What if you want to install the next year's version?

My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads,
even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars!
but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it
won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not.
Maybe it only has more recent stores.

And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use
DVDs anymore. ??

I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

That's why Nav on a car is a waste. Upgrades cost more than a good
Tom_tom
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 07/10/2018 10:15 PM, micky wrote:
I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

Micky, GPSs can't work miracles.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

There are a confusing number of models but you can get a Garmin Nuvi for
less than $100 with lifetime map updates. The updates are done with
wifi. The ones with real time traffic updates are more expensive and
may not be useful depending on where you live.

Digital maps have varying quality data. Urban areas are usually more up
to date than rural.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:42:41 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

On 07/10/2018 10:15 PM, micky wrote:
I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

Micky, GPSs can't work miracles.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

There are a confusing number of models but you can get a Garmin Nuvi for
less than $100 with lifetime map updates. The updates are done with
wifi. The ones with real time traffic updates are more expensive and
may not be useful depending on where you live.

Digital maps have varying quality data. Urban areas are usually more up
to date than rural.

A simple solution that will be shot down.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

Get the radio without it.

I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
transfer them with a USB drive to the car.

As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:43:26 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 07/10/2018 10:15 PM, micky wrote:
I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

Micky, GPSs can't work miracles.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

There are a confusing number of models but you can get a Garmin Nuvi for
less than $100 with lifetime map updates. The updates are done with
wifi. The ones with real time traffic updates are more expensive and
may not be useful depending on where you live.

Digital maps have varying quality data. Urban areas are usually more up
to date than rural.

After owning both Garmin and Tom-Tom I'll never own another garmin.

The TomTom updates by connecting to a computer on the internet.
On our recent (just got home yesterday) 9000km trip there was only
one situationwhere the GPS got confused - in Coldwater Michigan where
it had trouble finding the Quality Inn, hidden way back in behind the
amusement park - where it tried to send us in through a campground.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

Get the radio without it.

That would save money, and I'm more likely to find a radio with real
buttons, which are easier to use when driving.

I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
transfer them with a USB drive to the car.

Thank you for answering my question!

As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
free.

I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:43:26 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 07/10/2018 10:15 PM, micky wrote:
I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

Micky, GPSs can't work miracles.

Is it a miracle to tell me where I am?

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

There are a confusing number of models but you can get a Garmin Nuvi for
less than $100 with lifetime map updates. The updates are done with
wifi. The ones with real time traffic updates are more expensive and
may not be useful depending on where you live.

I don't want another device, just a radio which may or may not have GPS.

I hadn't thoughty about traffic updates, but that would definitely
require a receiver and a higher price. There is pretty much only one
route to take to work, so knowing about the traffic doesn't help.

In Chicago where the streets are on a grid, one can just take a parallel
street if there is traffic, but not here.

Digital maps have varying quality data. Urban areas are usually more up
to date than rural.

This DVD does have more streets within Baltimore, but I have a paper
atlas of Baltimore which has all that too, and more, and I rarely go
some place I haven't been to 10 times. The DVD wasn't up to date on
the rural areas even when the car was made. At least it doesn't have
enough detail.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.

The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are
updated.

I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a
USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not
need the GPS option for that.

I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really.
From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my
cell phone. You start out with it and it calculates here you are and
which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you
are on it. So it is worthless.
They do make a true GPS for that car,but it just was not on the one I
bought.

I have a Garman with lifetime updates that I like to use and can move
it between the car and truck as I need to. While not allways accurate
it has a traffic warning for the traffic jams and backups.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 00:15:24 -0400, micky
wrote:

In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does
it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?

No question, just background:

A couple weeks ago I went to Harrisburg, Pa. and took the long way home
to Baltimore because it's more interesting.

Along the east shore of the Susquehanna River. After a while I wanted
to see where I was, largely because there are bridges over the river
near Harrisburg and between Lancaster and York. And again on Route 1
and I-95.

But there is only one bridge in between those 2 areas.

Two years ago I had to ask for directions, and the first 4 people said
they were visitors and didn't know! Turns out, the road to the bridge
doesn't say it goes to the bridge! No signs.

The car's GPS was too vague, and you can only slide the map a little bit
away from where I am now, and even then it bounces back. Zooming out
takes away too much detail.

Because I'd driven this way once before, I'd forgotten to reload maps to
the phone, google maps and maps.me, so google maps only had the map it
comes with that that covers the whole US. Showed where I was, even
though it didnt' show a road there. Almost enough, but not quite.

I ended up using my paper map of the entire state of Pennsylvania, that
is 20 or 30 years old. Can't zoom in but it still had enough landmmarks
and highway numbers that it worked. I carry maps for Md. and adjacent
states in the car all the time.

If the car didn't have GPS, I wouldn't miss it, wouldn't want it, but it
has a rudimentary form of it that tantalizes me.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:06:49 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.

The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are
updated.

I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a
USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not
need the GPS option for that.

Right. I do that too. But not from a port right in the radio. I have
to plug something into the cigarette lighter. Despite that it works,
that was another reason to get a new radio, but I twisted the thing 90
degrees and now I can see the buttons and it's pretty easy to replay a
song or skip to the next song.

I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really.
From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my
cell phone.

Clever. I didn't have a specific method in mind, but I thought there
would be some 4th method by now. A shame it doesn't work better.

You start out with it and it calculates here you are and
which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you
are on it. So it is worthless.

Yes. I often see things that make me turn off the route.

They do make a true GPS for that car,but it just was not on the one I
bought.

I have a Garman with lifetime updates that I like to use and can move
it between the car and truck as I need to. While not allways accurate
it has a traffic warning for the traffic jams and backups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 9:42:41 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 07/10/2018 10:15 PM, micky wrote:
I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

Micky, GPSs can't work miracles.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

There are a confusing number of models but you can get a Garmin Nuvi for
less than $100 with lifetime map updates. The updates are done with
wifi. The ones with real time traffic updates are more expensive and
may not be useful depending on where you live.

That's why I use my Android cell phone and Google Maps. It has live
updating of the traffic conditions ahead, shows yellow or red on sections
of roads with slow traffic and offers alternatives to go around, if it
makes sense. It's great for walking directions in cities too. And no
need to buy anything else, it's in even the cheap phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:47:29 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

Get the radio without it.

That would save money, and I'm more likely to find a radio with real
buttons, which are easier to use when driving.

I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
transfer them with a USB drive to the car.

Thank you for answering my question!

As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
free.

I don't want another device.

No cell phone? Google Maps works very well for me.

I just want a radio, which may or may not
have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 08:47:17 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:47:29 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

Get the radio without it.

That would save money, and I'm more likely to find a radio with real
buttons, which are easier to use when driving.

I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
transfer them with a USB drive to the car.

Thank you for answering my question!

As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
free.

I don't want another device.

No cell phone? Google Maps works very well for me.

Yeah, I have a phone. Like I said, if the car didn't have a mediocre
one, I wouldn't want a better one. I wouldn't want anything. But I
know myself, and I at least have to look into this.

I just want a radio, which may or may not
have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:47:29 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

Get the radio without it.

That would save money, and I'm more likely to find a radio with real
buttons, which are easier to use when driving.

I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
transfer them with a USB drive to the car.

Thank you for answering my question!

As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
free.

I don't want another device.

No cell phone? Google Maps works very well for me.

That's one reason why I don't want another device. I already have a
phone, but it would be nice if it displayed on the dashboard.

And the question in the subject line was of interest regardless.

Answers to questions like "how does the map get into the radio?" are not
obvious from displays at Best Buy or ads on Amazon, and often not
mentioned even in reviews.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7/11/2018 11:06 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.

The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are
updated.

I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a
USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not
need the GPS option for that.

I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really.
From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my
cell phone. You start out with it and it calculates here you are and
which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you
are on it. So it is worthless.
They do make a true GPS for that car,but it just was not on the one I
bought.

I have a Garman with lifetime updates that I like to use and can move
it between the car and truck as I need to. While not allways accurate
it has a traffic warning for the traffic jams and backups.

I have a Garmin too with lifetime maps and traffic but had to fight with
it yesterday having to route around a road closure when it kept trying
to reroute me back to it. Not the first time I've either had to ignore
it or turn it off.

Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4. Garmin maps may be updated as
much as four times a year. It is not just road changes but new business
openings and business addresses changing.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 12:32:56 -0400, Frank "frank
wrote:

On 7/11/2018 11:06 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

I don't want another device. I just want a radio, which may or may not
have GPS. In order to judge whether to get GPS, I need to know how much
detail the map will have, but if the map is bad, that just means no GPS,
not that I would buy an additional device to have a better map.

The maps are usually very close from one GPS to the next if they are
updated.

I don't care too much for the radio, but do like being able to plug in a
USB drive into the audio system to play songs of my choice. You do not
need the GPS option for that.

I bought a 2017 Toyota and it came with sort of a GPS, but not really.
From what I get out of it, it seems that it has a map that works off my
cell phone. You start out with it and it calculates here you are and
which way to turn. If you get off the given route it still thinks you
are on it. So it is worthless.
They do make a true GPS for that car,but it just was not on the one I
bought.

I have a Garman with lifetime updates that I like to use and can move
it between the car and truck as I need to. While not allways accurate
it has a traffic warning for the traffic jams and backups.

I have a Garmin too with lifetime maps and traffic but had to fight with
it yesterday having to route around a road closure when it kept trying
to reroute me back to it. Not the first time I've either had to ignore
it or turn it off.

Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4. Garmin maps may be updated as

Wow. I'd rather be lost than spend $200.

I mean, they found the Thai cavers. Surely someone would find me
eventually.

much as four times a year. It is not just road changes but new business
openings and business addresses changing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

Get the radio without it.

I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
transfer them with a USB drive to the car.

As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
free.

Paper maps are FREE at any DMV. Thats all I need!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7/11/2018 12:32 PM, Frank wrote:

Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4.Â* Garmin maps may be updated as
much as four times a year.Â* It is not just road changes but new business
openings and business addresses changing.

Its a real money make for them. Most cars are $100 to $200. My car has
3 years included or I'd not bother.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:47:29 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

[...]

Get a dash holder for the phone.

And the question in the subject line was of interest regardless.

Answers to questions like "how does the map get into the radio?" are not
obvious from displays at Best Buy or ads on Amazon, and often not
mentioned even in reviews.

Idk why the answer would be at best buy, did they build the car? I would expect it would be in the owners manual for the car. Or failing that a simple google search would find it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7/11/2018 5:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/11/2018 12:32 PM, Frank wrote:

Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4.Â* Garmin maps may be updated
as much as four times a year.Â* It is not just road changes but new
business openings and business addresses changing.

Its a real money make for them.Â* Most cars are $100 to $200.Â* My car has
3 years included or I'd not bother.

I had recalled ads in car magazine for dealers that dealers could make a
large profit off accessories.

Googled it up and found this recent article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenr.../#21a63e5e1e6f

Also recall years ago when I bought Chevy's where my brother was the
service manager. Warranties did not last long, if there was one, and my
car developed a cracked block and needed a new engine. My brother could
not reduce the labor cost but bought the engine himself for the shop to
install. He saved me the %100 part markup that the dealer would have
charged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:47:29 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

[...]

I have one of those. It's not the same thing.

And the question in the subject line was of interest regardless.

Answers to questions like "how does the map get into the radio?" are not
obvious from displays at Best Buy or ads on Amazon, and often not
mentioned even in reviews.

Idk why the answer would be at best buy, did they build the car?

I was talking about after-market car radios. I know how the map gets in
my own car's radio. It comes from thd DVD that came with the car.

I would expect it would be in the owners manual for the car. Or failing that a simple google search would find it.

I was also talking about a variety of recent car radios, all of them,
and a google search did not find anything. But Ralph was a big help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:47:24 -0400, micky
wrote:

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

[...]

What's wrong with the radio you have, other than the GPS???

I say leave well enough alone if you don't NEED theGPS.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7/11/2018 8:40 PM, micky wrote:

Paper maps are FREE at any DMV. Thats all I need!!!!

I mostly agree with you. That's what ended up working on my Sunday
drive the other day.

Before I drove to Florida, I went to tourism [state name] for
each of the states I was driving through, and they each sent me a map.
I think the search word was tourism. Allow 30 or 45 days.

I've driven across the country a few times and parts of Europe with
paper maps. I still like to look at them for the overall view.

That said. navigation in a car is a very useful tool. Pick a state and
a major city and I'll take you to it with no map, just a basic knowledge
of geography and road signs.

So. we are traveling and think it is about time to call it a day. On my
navigation I can search for hotels. I can choose "along route" and it
brings them up by distance. I can choose on and press a button to call
ahead to see if they have a room. If yes, I push another button and the
car will guide me to it. I have a Head Up Display so it even shows me
the next turn on the windshield and the distance down to 10 feet.

Do I need it? No, I've done well for decades. It is though, a great
tool along the way to find food, fuel, lodging. As I said, I can get
you to Cleveland or Fargo, but the navigation will take me right to 666
Park Street. Its a tool I'm willing to pay for.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 07/11/2018 08:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Do I need it? No, I've done well for decades. It is though, a great
tool along the way to find food, fuel, lodging. As I said, I can get
you to Cleveland or Fargo, but the navigation will take me right to 666
Park Street. Its a tool I'm willing to pay for.

That's what I find valuable. As far as large scale navigation goes, I
drove OTR in the '90s and like the song says I've been everywhere.
However calling up the motels and grocery stores in Fargo saves time.

That's where the updates come in too. I hadn't updated mine in a long
time and last fall it guided me to a Basha's in Tucson that was gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/11/2018 08:24 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
After owning both Garmin and Tom-Tom I'll never own another garmin.

I've bought Garmins from back before Clinton took the SA off and they
weren't very useful. I geocache and have had good luck with the brand so
when it was time to buy one for the car that's what came to mind.

http://whichsatnav.com/garmin-vs-tomtom-which-is-better

That site calls it a draw. TomTom is better on traffic jam reporting
which isn't a big thing for me. If I do have to go through a big city I
do it at off hours.

The TomTom updates by connecting to a computer on the internet.
On our recent (just got home yesterday) 9000km trip there was only
one situationwhere the GPS got confused - in Coldwater Michigan where
it had trouble finding the Quality Inn, hidden way back in behind the
amusement park - where it tried to send us in through a campground.

I have mounts for my Garmin handheld on all my bikes, motor and pedal
operated. With a dual sport bike campgrounds and amusement parks are
just fun challenges. I try not to ride through peoples' yards although I
have been tempted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:47:29 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

[...]

After all these posts that's the first time you've said that.

I know how the map gets in
my own car's radio.

It comes from thd DVD that came with the car.

I would think new cars would have it already loaded and it seemed it was getting updated maps you were talking about.

I would expect it would be in the owners manual for the car. Or failing that a simple google search would find it.

I was also talking about a variety of recent car radios, all of them,
and a google search did not find anything. But Ralph was a big help.

So there are no user manuals for any of the aftermarket gps radios online, nor any help available from any of the manufacturers? I would think for a specific car there would be a few companies that make one that fits and they would have documentation. But I guess you're the only one who wants to ever update it and the a answer must be you can't, because if it can be it would be very odd there is nothing available about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/12/18 6:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:

So there are no user manuals for any of the aftermarket gps radios online, nor any help available from any of the manufacturers? I would think for a specific car there would be a few companies that make one that fits and they would have documentation. But I guess you're the only one who wants to ever update it and the a answer must be you can't, because if it can be it would be very odd there is nothing available about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVKKRzemX_w
Louis Armstrong, Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen

Posted to alt.home.repair

Two years ago I had to ask for directions, and the first 4 people said
they were visitors and didn't know! Turns out, the road to the bridge
doesn't say it goes to the bridge! No signs.

Welcome to PennDot country.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:47:29 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

[...]

Not so. It was in the very first post:

[...]

There are many that would fit my car, including many different brands,
and not all have manuals available. In addition, I'm insterested in
other radios too. I donm't want to spend all day downloading and
searching manuals. So I asked here. If you don't want to help, don't,
but don't argue with me, especially when your "facts" are screwed up.

Not only that, when people ask a question like mine, helpful responders
often say which method is better, what flaws each method has, things
that no manual ever says.

But I guess you're the only one who wants to ever update it and the a answer must be you can't, because if it can be it would be very odd there is nothing available about it.

Is that what you think? No wonder Ralph was able to give a good partial
answer and you've added nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 10:47:29 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:18:22 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , NONONOmisc07
says...

[...]

So, new cars don't come with new radios? I took that to mean a new
car with a new radio. You didn't say aftermarket.

[...]

Then that must make them very hard to install and use. Never came across
one like that.

In addition, I'm insterested in
other radios too. I donm't want to spend all day downloading and
searching manuals.

Yes, better to get a lot of speculation than the factual answer,
it saves a lot of time.

So I asked here. If you don't want to help, don't,
but don't argue with me, especially when your "facts" are screwed up.

Micky, you sure do have your share of troubles that no one else seems to have.
I'm not arguing you with you. As usual, I'm trying to figure out what
the **** your problem really is and so are other posters. My facts
are not screwed up. You said you wanted to know how maps get into new
car radios. New cars come with new radios. You did't say you were talking
about an aftermarket radio. And I know how to write a few sentences
that accurately describe my actual situation and question, eg:

I have a Toyota Crapo SE, 2009. I want to put a new radio that has GPS
in it and I was wondering if the maps can be later updated and how.

See, two sentences. Even better, I'd just go google for a couple companies
that make the damn thing, RTFM, or look in the Q/A forum. You know why?
Because just because company A says it can be updated using a USB thumb
drive for free, doesn't mean that company B doesn't say that it can't be
updated at all or that company C says that it costs $80 to update and you do it
via sticking your dick in a hole in the radio. Knowing you, you'd
wind up with company C and more questions. Then you'd make more posts here
with lots of good info to go on, like "my dick won't fit a hole in my car,
what do I do now"?

Not only that, when people ask a question like mine, helpful responders
often say which method is better, what flaws each method has, things
that no manual ever says.

But I guess you're the only one who wants to ever update it and the a answer must be you can't, because if it can be it would be very odd there is nothing available about it.

Is that what you think? No wonder Ralph was able to give a good partial
answer and you've added nothing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

micky wrote:
In a new car radio with GPS, how does the map get into the radio? Does
it receive cellular data, wifi, or come already installed?

What if you want to install the next year's version?

My current 2005 toyota has a map on DVD, and it's not got all the roads,
even the ones that existed then. A repacement DVD is 90+ dollars!
but mine is good. OTOH, one for 2011 is only $20, but I'm guessing it
won't work right??? And I don't know if it has many more roads or not.
Maybe it only has more recent stores.

And I don't see anything newer than 2011, so I figure they don't use
DVDs anymore. ??

I don't need navigation, only occasionally to know where I am.

If the GPS map on new radios isn't a lot better than what I have, I'd
rather save a couple hundred dollars and get a radio withou it.

It depends on the manufacturer. Most use either an SD card or a DVD to
update the maps in the on board system. You won't find one from the auto
manufacturer with actual current year maps though. For that you need to
update with the most current data from whoever they used for the map data.
For instance my Journey uses a UConnect system unit that runs Garmin
maps, I can update it using ONLY Garmin data, but I can get updates
directly through Garmin and add it through an SD or DVD for a lot less
than going to a dealer

The new Toyotas also use Garmin and an SD card for updates.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/11/2018 12:32 PM, Frank wrote:

Don't know about current Toyota's but a friend said it would cost $200
to have dealer put new maps in his Rav 4. Garmin maps may be updated as
much as four times a year. It is not just road changes but new business
openings and business addresses changing.

Its a real money make for them. Most cars are $100 to $200. My car has
3 years included or I'd not bother.

On many of the systems that use Garmin maps you can use updates direct
from Garmin onto a formatted SD card to update for a LOT less...

--
Steve W.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 6:11:28 PM UTC-4, Steve W. wrote:
micky wrote:
[...]

Read some of Micky's latest posts. It's not the GPS built into the car,
which is what I thought from his posts too.
It's a GPS map that's part of an aftermarket radio to be added. Or
maybe he already has it. Who knows. Brand unknown. Model unknown.
So much better to start 100 post threads speculating without knowing
WTF he has or plans to have, instead of Micky going to a website for
the few manufacturers that probably make one that fits his actual car.
I'm surprised he's still alive.